PDA

View Full Version : Magic Duels releases in IOS App store

Xexist
07-08-2015, 09:54 AM
I am sure hex knows what they are doing, and releasing before they are ready would be a disaster, but I hope they arent too far behind, because lot of people wont have enough money to shell out to both games, the more people Magic hooks now, the harder it will be for us to hook them later.

Or maybe I am wrong?

Anyone tried / played this yet?

N3rd4Christ
07-08-2015, 10:07 AM
They have said they will have tablet version by end of year

Xexist
07-08-2015, 10:09 AM

Hopefully this is one target they dont miss.

Saeijou
07-08-2015, 10:14 AM

really? when was that?

Poetic
07-08-2015, 10:23 AM
I'll be worried when they update MTGO to look like Duels. Until then, it's pretty different, no? Yeah you can build decks, but the card pool is limited correct? I haven't played Duels of the Planeswalkers in a few years.

plaguedealer
07-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Duels origins has no drafting. You gain gold by grinding out the ai or playing other people. There is no crafting syatem like hearthstone. If you open up four of a certain card, you will never open it in another pack.

The game is interesting and could be a competitor, but the lack of any limited format really hurts it. There is a story mode, but it is pretty short. Hex pve will hopefully blow it out the water.

The game is kind of like hearthstone without the arena, which will be a problem and probably get old quick.

N3rd4Christ
07-08-2015, 10:54 AM
really? when was that?

Gameforge had it on their announcement along with the 100,000 tournament I believe

Poetic
07-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Doesn't seem like much to worry about...

"Just so people know what they are getting into.
There will be no Cross play/buy from IOS, Xbox, or PC. If you spend money on one and want to play on another, get ready to start from square one.
There's still card limits, you want more than two of the same rare, welp sorry can't happen.
The game doesn't have the full Origin set and might never have it. If you had plans to look at or test every new Origin card, well that won't be possiable. I remember reading only 80% of Origins cards made it into the game. Many of the other cards added are just fillers for more deck options."

"Hey guys, I have an idea: let's make a video game to rival Hearthstone that doesn't allow account linking across devices, doesn't fully utilize our IP, and doesn't follow the same decklist rules as our physical game.
-- Someone at Wizards who gets paid way more than any of us in this thread"

Xexist
07-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Doesn't seem like much to worry about...

"Just so people know what they are getting into.
There will be no Cross play/buy from IOS, Xbox, or PC. If you spend money on one and want to play on another, get ready to start from square one.
There's still card limits, you want more than two of the same rare, welp sorry can't happen.
The game doesn't have the full Origin set and might never have it. If you had plans to look at or test every new Origin card, well that won't be possiable. I remember reading only 80% of Origins cards made it into the game. Many of the other cards added are just fillers for more deck options."

"Hey guys, I have an idea: let's make a video game to rival Hearthstone that doesn't allow account linking across devices, doesn't fully utilize our IP, and doesn't follow the same decklist rules as our physical game.
-- Someone at Wizards who gets paid way more than any of us in this thread"

Well that IS a little reassuring :) I have no doubt hex will be better. Just hoping people dont get sucked into this too hard in the meantime

Axle
07-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Duels origins has no drafting. You gain gold by grinding out the ai or playing other people. There is no crafting syatem like hearthstone. If you open up four of a certain card, you will never open it in another pack.

The game is interesting and could be a competitor, but the lack of any limited format really hurts it. There is a story mode, but it is pretty short. Hex pve will hopefully blow it out the water.

The game is kind of like hearthstone without the arena, which will be a problem and probably get old quick.
On the other hand they have 2v2. And even local 2v2. Something that based on Magic 2015 backlash, is something that the more casual players REALLY care about.

Though they might just only care about it as a "nice to have" thing. The developers of Magic 2015 said that the reason they dropped it in the first place was because barely anyone used it in earlier games + open deck building could make 2v2 very degenerate.

Xexist
07-08-2015, 11:21 AM
One good thing is it appears the app only works on the newest devices, even iphone 5 and ipad 4 is too old (so I hear) so.. that kinda alienates a large portion of the ios userbase.

ryuukan
07-08-2015, 11:25 AM
I tried it for a few games, it runs kinda crappy on an iPhone 6, noticeable input lag even.
Yet another huge break HexEnt will hopefully not squander in getting Hex off the ground

plaguedealer
07-08-2015, 11:26 AM
On the other hand they have 2v2. And even local 2v2. Something that based on Magic 2015 backlash, is something that the more casual players REALLY care about.

Though they might just only care about it as a "nice to have" thing. The developers of Magic 2015 said that the reason they dropped it in the first place was because barely anyone used it in earlier games + open deck building could make 2v2 very degenerate.

Even if there is 2v2, I cant see duels being someones go to digital tcg. Constructed is fun and all, but there is little pve and no limited. I just couldnt see myself playing it for more then a few weeks. Limited and arena see like 90 percent of hex's gameplay for a reason.

Poetic
07-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Well that IS a little reassuring :) I have no doubt hex will be better. Just hoping people dont get sucked into this too hard in the meantime

Doubt it, set 3 comes out next week and the next major content patch is supposed to be PVE. Hexers will HEX.

MatWith1T
07-08-2015, 12:27 PM
Duels is hamstrung by the reality that wotc can't release any side product robust enough to cannibalize the golden goose that is good old fashioned MtG. As long as MtG is growing (and it is truly a testament to that team that two decades later it's still growing), other MtG IP products will be intentionally inferior.

Xexist
07-08-2015, 02:41 PM
It got a less than stellar front page 'first impressions' on Toucharcade.

Crimguy
07-08-2015, 06:09 PM
Why is it everyone believes PvE is such a draw for TCG's? I have no data to support it but my gut tells me most people are looking for PvE only to get them started, and PvP in the long term.

Xexist
07-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Why is it everyone believes PvE is such a draw for TCG's? I have no data to support it but my gut tells me most people are looking for PvE only to get them started, and PvP in the long term.

Its what THIS TCG was kickstarted based on (largely)

Crimguy
07-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Its what THIS TCG was kickstarted based on (largely)

Absolutely. In the end however the vast armies of MTG players are likely looking for the Magic experience executed well in the digital medium. The Hex crowd is perhaps a bit different.