PDA

View Full Version : Amazingly Lucky Break at Work

Ertzi
07-09-2015, 07:35 AM
So, I already had my summer holiday at work. Earlier this year, I guessed that Armies of Myth would be released in June and kept all of June free. I guessed wrong.

I was pretty bummed out to hear I would not have time to properly enjoy AoM launch and the release celebration. Well, today I received an email at work that said, in essence, this: "We don't have that much work at the moment, so if you'd like to apply for short vacations in the coming weeks, that would be fine."

Re-he-he-heeeeeaaalllyyyy!? (Ace Ventura style). Well... I immediately asked to take next week off, as well as 4 days when the Convocation hits the client, and they both were approved immediately. I am very happy now :). I will be able to play aaaaalll week after the release (dem chests...) and I can also try to get as many Convo packs as possible by entering tournaments like crazy when the Convocation begins.

I am going to donate to the charity next week just because of this. I must share the good karma ^^

Nobody is probably the least bit interested about this story, but I had to share it anyway. I have very little spare time for HEX normally, so this was a pretty big deal. Too bad they didn't offer earlier, so I could have stayed up for the Charity streams as well :D

HEX super week, comin' up!

Svenn
07-09-2015, 07:38 AM
Congrats. Unfortunately I just took a vacation last week for my birthday and can't do another one for Armies of Myth release... but I did manage to get 2 days off for a 4 day weekend during the Convocation packs period. :) I'm super excited for that.

Ertzi
07-09-2015, 08:00 AM
but I did manage to get 2 days off for a 4 day weekend during the Convocation packs period. :) I'm super excited for that.

Sweet. See you in the tournament queues!

Okay, let's be honest, draft queues. Those are easily the best value to try to get the 2013/14 packs, right? Only 3 wins vs. 5 for Sealed Gauntlet for example. Whatever! The most important thing is I have time to try. :)

Mourad13
07-09-2015, 08:10 AM
you seem to have a lot of free time...Maybe you could look after my two vampirising daughters to let me play during Army of Myth weekend release...:p

Ertzi
07-09-2015, 08:18 AM
you seem to have a lot of free time...Maybe you could look after my two vampirising daughters to let me play during Army of Myth weekend release...:p

Hahaa! No children here. I guess everything is relative, but I still feel I do not have the time to do even half the things I want, let alone play enough HEX on top of all that. But hey, you have the advantage when you can set them up with accounts and raid together :). Pssst! Start the converting early.

MatWith1T
07-09-2015, 08:27 AM
Aww man, I have just the opposite... I'm moving cross country and will be either on a plane or in a unfinished apartment with no internet for the whole release event. My only hope is the plane's wifi let's me struggle through a gauntlet or two.

Any interest in a generous patron sponsoring your marathon play in exchange for Duke AAs?

DoctorJoe
07-09-2015, 08:42 AM
Time-wise gauntlet might be more efficient.

You don't have to sit through a draft, you're ready to play as fast as you can build a deck from your pool. They are single game matches, so you have to win 5 out of 7 games. Draft requires you to win 6 out of (up to) 9 games plus sideboarding plus waiting for the other matches in the round to finish.

In draft only two people play for the chance to win 1st. Based on 50% win/lose about one and a half people out of eight will achieve 5 wins most of the time by my best approximation. The math is really tricky because it's hard to do a binomial probability when you eliminate anything that achieves 5 wins or 3 losses over 8 trials. Someone at CZE (I would guess Chark) probably solved this for exact numbers in order to predict the economic impact of gauntlet. Hopefully they know a better way of solving that than drawing out a complicated chart and doing a lot of small calculations, which is what I would do.

*edited to correct number of gauntlet games.

Ertzi
07-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Aww man, I have just the opposite... I'm moving cross country and will be either on a plane or in a unfinished apartment with no internet for the whole release event. My only hope is the plane's wifi let's me struggle through a gauntlet or two.

Wow... Sorry to hear that, man. What an unlucky timing. Well, you'll be around for the next huge event I'm sure. It's not like those are a limited supply. I hope your new apartment will be rockin' then :).

FlyingMeatchip
07-09-2015, 09:05 AM
You get time off....my boss needs me to work 10 days in a row leading up the the 30th of July.

Ertzi
07-09-2015, 09:27 AM

You don't have to sit through a draft, you're ready to play as fast as you can build a deck from your pool. They are single game matches, so you have to win 5 out of 7 games. Draft requires you to win 6 out of (up to) 9 games plus sideboarding plus waiting for the other matches in the round to finish.

In draft only two people play for the chance to win 1st. Based on 50% win/lose about one and a half people out of eight will achieve 5 wins most of the time by my best approximation. The math is really tricky because it's hard to do a binomial probability when you eliminate anything that achieves 5 wins or 3 losses over 8 trials. Someone at CZE (I would guess Chark) probably solved this for exact numbers in order to predict the economic impact of gauntlet. Hopefully they know a better way of solving that than drawing out a complicated chart and doing a lot of small calculations, which is what I would do.

Hmmm... Good points. I did not think this through. I'm definitely going to try a few Gauntlet's as well now! Well, more fun stuff to try out :).

Ertzi
07-09-2015, 09:29 AM
You get time off....my boss needs me to work 10 days in a row leading up the the 30th of July.

Ouch. Well, I can promise you have better pay. I don't even need to know what you do. :D

Saeijou
07-09-2015, 01:43 PM
all my coworkers are gone... noone is watching my monitor... great times coming ;)

elfstone
07-09-2015, 02:03 PM
But don't forget for convocation you need to go 5-0 not 5-2, you can have no losses at all in Gauntlet to get the 2013/14 pack, unlike set release for the duke.

Yoss
07-09-2015, 02:14 PM

Any interest in a generous patron sponsoring your marathon play in exchange for Duke AAs?
If you're moving anywhere near me, you're welcome to leech my internet a bit. And if you're moving near HXE, I'm sure they'd let you in at least for Game Night. :)

I did the math and posted it right after they announced:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=43641&page=2&p=497278&viewfull=1#post497278

magic_gazz
07-09-2015, 03:38 PM
Congrats.

Im just going to play while at work lol

Not as good but it will do.

RCDv57
07-09-2015, 03:59 PM
I'm terrible at drafting, I had to go through 10 drafts just to get 1 AA Filk Ape last time.
I like my chances in Gauntlet better. That will be my playground.

RobHaven
07-09-2015, 08:59 PM
I'm trying to take off a couple of days for Convocation also. I'll see y'all in the queues!