PDA

View Full Version : GenCon event questions

DocX
07-09-2015, 12:06 PM
It turns out I will be able to attend GenCon after all. Another exhibitor has been kind enough to provide me a ticket and a room in exchange for me doing some judging for them. I figured I'd see if I could take the opportunity to swing by and get some Hex games in, but I am a bit confused after looking at the events listing.

I honed in on the Hex Daily Passes as they're listed as in effect from 9am to midnight. Given I'll be shackled to another tournament area until ~8pm, that'll give me four hours to make use of the Daily Pass. This brings me to a few questions....
- The passes show the location as "ICC : Hall B : HEX Entertainment : HQ". From the map of the convention center (comparing page 1 of http://www.icclos.com/pdf/floor_plans.pdf with http://files.gencon.com/2015.ExhibHallMapwithLinks.pdf) Hall B looks like it's where the Exhibit Hall is located. While Cryptozoic/HexEnt's location at location 601 is a prime spot near the entrance, given the Exhibit Hall typically runs from 10am to 6pm, I'm thinking I may be reading the maps wrong. Are the events somewhere other than the Exhibit Hall?
- Based on previous years, how many computers are typically available to play games on?
- Based on previous years, what days/evenings the queues are likely to be longest?
- I see there are ~90-100 Daily Passes still available (depending on the day). I don't imagine things will sell out between now and then, but would it still be kosher to get 5 Generics (each) for whatever day(s)/evening(s) I wanted to attend?
- Have there been queue problems in previous years? I don't mind spending 4 hours each night at the Hex booth playing, but it will be much less enjoyable if that time is spent in a queue waiting for a computer to become available.

Just wanting to make sure my expectations are set reasonably and that I can arrange my schedule appropriately to optimize my playing time while balancing it against sleeping and eating time. Any info that can help with this will be most appreciated!

Koz
07-09-2015, 12:19 PM
I was going to post a similar thread asking similar questions. I'd like to add the following question: Do I need to buy generic tickets to play in the events if I have a Daily Pass? Or do the Daily Passes cover whatever I decide to do while I'm in the LAN hall?

I'm also concerned about long wait times. The last thing I want to do is stand around in a line waiting for a computer for hours at a time when the awesomeness that is Gen Con is going on mere feet away...

Refugee
07-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Year 1 things started quite delayed and lines were pretty terrible.
Year 2 everything went smoothly and there was seldom more than a few minute wait for a game.

I haven't checked but the "exhibit hall" is usually where Halls H,I,J and K are. The 601 spot in the exhibit hall is where they will be selling things. I very much doubt that's where the computers will be. So in short, yes the event is probably somewhere other than the exhibit hall (it has been in all past years).

40-50 computers?

The line is somewhat self regulating. If a lot of people are there less people will want to stand in line. If it's relatively open people will jump in. Like I said, last year the waits were never very long. That said lines will on average be longest when the most people are at gencon, Friday and Saturday.

Can't answer if generics will always be accepted, sorry.

Yes, year one was pretty awful in terms of lines. Last year was fine though.

To play in the daily league you will need 1 gencon admission pass and 1 daily Hex pass.

shocker455
07-09-2015, 01:25 PM
I don't forsee there being any wait. last year there was only a low amount of computers once that I can recall, because 2 drafts were going at once. Even then their really wasn't a wait. I basically doesn't my time tuning back to hex while I waited for my next magic event to start. looking forward to doing the same this.year. Wanted to draft hex more last time but I won my first draft and woulda felt bad if I woN a 2nd

Year one was bad only because no one played hex yet, and you had to grind a bit for all the rewards. Last year you only had to win a game for AA or merc

Koz
07-10-2015, 07:29 AM
Can someone clarify how the events work? Do I need generic tickets to play in events or does the Daily Pass cover whatever I want to play? I'm confused on if the Daily Pass just allows me to be in the LAN hall or if it allows me to play in events too.

Also, will there be a per-person limit on the merchandise purchases at the Hex booth? I'm hoping that the posters and stuff are limited to X per person or something, because I'll be very unhappy if I rush to the Hex booth only to have like 5 people in front of me who buy everything up so they can hoard it and sell it on Ebay.

Some official responses to these questions would be great!

DocX
07-10-2015, 07:37 AM
Refugee, many thanks for the thorough answers. Much appreciated!

Shaqattaq
07-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Looks like most questions were answered by our awesome community. In regards to Hall B, there's a divider between Hall B and the Exhibit Hall, or at least there was one last year.

All our events must be paid for via generic tickets if you have not pre-paid via online registration. If you have a daily pass, you can play any of the formats listed in the stickied Gen Con post. You would need to pay with generics if you wanted to draft and we opened more drafts.

DocX
07-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Shaq. Glad to have the proper information going in. See y'all there!