PDA

View Full Version : Ben stoll interview with funktion.

Gwaer
07-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Might system is officially out. No more per dungeon leveling, back to more traditional persistent levels.
Wall of bears - still a possibility.
Gwaer, his favorite person ever.
Can make different characters, not stuck in your first choice, also you'll be able to respec your characters, though not without some limits
Talent system, gain points as you level up.
trying to avoid filler talents, and the need to rush toward the bottom.
Talents are very wide, and you must take adjacent talents to one you have taken before, you plot a course that you like. rather than having to take talents before it.

Funktion interrupts at this point, rather than letting Ben ramble.

Race/Class combination is the first big combinatorial, all combinations have their own little unique benefit. all orcs will be similar, all warlocks will be similar, but an orc warlock will have a unique benefit different from any other race/class combination
Example race benefits - extra dungeon lives, or increased specific dungeon rewards.

Back to talents, Each class will have several main features that you can invest points into. Ranger for example has Marksman, and pet areas you can focus in.

Wants to cover lots of range of talents, doesn't want them to feel samey.

Rogue has a talent called a "little bit of this, a little bit of that." Gives you a bunch of random crap, but you have to buff it with other talents to make it worthwhile.

Classes are going to play very differently.

Cleric and rogue are both very survivable but rogue takes more strategery.

There will be different difficulties, aiming for people both with complete collections and without.

I missed the first half an hour feel free to fill in the blanks

From thrawn - Ben stoll likes ice cream, and wants to be a supervillain.

thegreybetween
07-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Thanks for this.

Also, Wall of Bears!

Thrawn
07-09-2015, 07:01 PM
I missed the first half an hour feel free to fill in the blanks

Ben likes ice cream and wants to be a super villain.

fitzle
07-09-2015, 07:29 PM
I found it very interesting that they scrapped the might system and found a path through the progression problems that caused them to adopt it in the first place. It makes me happy to think they are going to have a system at least more similar to the original kickstarter intent.

Parzival
07-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Thanks Buffalord!

Great info, I love it that CZE appears to be leveraging their game design background into Hex - exciting times ahead :cool:

shocker455
07-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Is there some way to see the interview now? With out searching though hours of the stream

Axle
07-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Is there some way to see the interview now? With out searching though hours of the stream

Part 1: http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/v/7199925
Part 2: http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/v/7200549

Khazrakh
07-10-2015, 01:06 AM
Also - Yeti Dungeon confirmed!

Gwaer
07-10-2015, 01:34 AM
I'm a little sad about the might system total scrappage, I always hoped for both persistent leveling and dungeon leveling. It felt very good making those choices throughout the dungeon. Maybe it'll have some influence on the final product.

LNQ
07-10-2015, 02:53 AM
It has clearly turned out to be more difficult to make the PvE experience as much fun as they want it to be. I'm glad they're trying their damnest to pull it off, as showed by trying and scrapping many different kinds of progression systems. Fingers crossed they pull it off in the end!

ossuary
07-10-2015, 04:39 AM
I still hope there are some account-level leveling / buffs as well, even if it's just convenience type stuff, so that if you've leveled a character to 50, you don't feel like you're starting completely from scratch and taking a major power cut to try out another character. I liked the idea they were talking about during the might system of having account buffs that applied to all your characters - I see no reason why they can't keep that in some regards even with a more traditional class-based system.

Poetic
07-10-2015, 05:49 AM
As someone with not much interest in the PVE side of things. I enjoyed that interview. Sounds really cool. I don't think the AI will ever be as satisfying as a human opponent but I can see the experience being really fun and a good time waster.

Tinfoil
07-10-2015, 07:23 AM
Thanks for putting this up :)

Mahes
07-10-2015, 09:23 AM
It does help to explain the delay with PvE. They keep having to refine the system as they find ideas that sound great but do not program so easily. It also shows why they have not actually shown play footage of the dungeons as they might not really exist yet, due to having to program the structure of the idea first. While we might be close to a true open Beta for PvP, it appears we are still in an alpha phase for PvE. I really hope they can release this dungeon experience before the end of the year.

Tazelbain
07-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Feels like delays have given them time to rework PvE not reworking PvE has caused delays.

hex_colin
07-10-2015, 09:52 AM
I still hope there are some account-level leveling / buffs as well

Can't share the details, but, suffice to say, you won't be disappointed. :)

funktion
07-10-2015, 12:54 PM
It does help to explain the delay with PvE. They keep having to refine the system as they find ideas that sound great but do not program so easily. It also shows why they have not actually shown play footage of the dungeons as they might not really exist yet, due to having to program the structure of the idea first. While we might be close to a true open Beta for PvP, it appears we are still in an alpha phase for PvE. I really hope they can release this dungeon experience before the end of the year.

Cory mentioned this a few times while talking to Neo & Cirouss... Hex can release a great & truly innovative game and do so somewhat later than initially planned and they will still succeed. However, if they rush things and just try to deliver the products we want as soon as they can,,, well if you muck everything up, second chances are hard to buy.

The talent system really feels like that too to me. Not only does it have to be fun and interesting, it has to be engaging over the course of more than just a couple weeks. It needs to make you think about it on your way to work or while you're shopping for groceries. Pve is all about doing broken things but it still has gotten be balanced, just steam rolling the AI wouldn't be any fun and it would really do all the amazing content they have in store for us a big disservice.

nicetodd
07-10-2015, 01:09 PM
Cory mentioned this a few times while talking to Neo & Cirouss... Hex can release a great & truly innovative game and do so somewhat later than initially planned and they will still succeed. However, if they rush things and just try to deliver the products we want as soon as they can,,, well if you muck everything up, second chances are hard to buy.

The talent system really feels like that too to me. Not only does it have to be fun and interesting, it has to be engaging over the course of more than just a couple weeks. It needs to make you think about it on your way to work or while you're shopping for groceries. Pve is all about doing broken things but it still has gotten be balanced, just steam rolling the AI wouldn't be any fun and it would really do all the amazing content they have in store for us a big disservice.

I agree with this, however, we were led to believe a lot of this had been worked out 2 years ago. To learn differently is a bit disheartening.

shocker455
07-10-2015, 01:18 PM
I agree with this, however, we were led to believe a lot of this had been worked out 2 years ago. To learn differently is a bit disheartening.

It's rare for a Good video to not do something like this. You think something is good but you get father into it and see something just not right or even terribly wrong. Then you decide to either release a sub par that people don't enjoy a 1/10 of as much as they should or fix it. I'm all for the fixxing option.

Prominis
07-10-2015, 04:13 PM
You forgot the most important part: Ben's favourite candy bar is Almond Joy.

Mr.Funsocks
07-12-2015, 07:51 AM
You forgot the most important part: Ben's favourite candy bar is Almond Joy.

Well he's clearly a drunken communist that cannot be trusted.