PDA

View Full Version : Why is there so much superfluous clicking?

Cyberyn
07-11-2015, 08:27 AM
Pass this, pass that, end this, end that...like I have the option to do anything else other than to click on next phase.

Am I misunderstanding something here?

nicosharp
07-11-2015, 08:30 AM
F4 = attack with all
F5 = skip to attack phase
F8 = skip to end phase
F10 = skip to next turn

you are welcome.

TOOT
07-11-2015, 08:30 AM
You can press F10 to auto pass every phase and go straight til end of the turn.

Edit: Nicopwned

Xavon
07-11-2015, 08:33 AM
1) you can hit space instead
2) you can turn some of the stops off, but do so at your own peril.
3) unlike an in person card game, you can't really say 'wait I Counterspell that'. If there is not a break, the computer will just keep going. And making the game calculate all of the options of your in play and in hand cards to see if you have a play would be slower than just giving you the option.

Cyberyn
07-11-2015, 08:42 AM
You can press F10 to auto pass every phase and go straight til end of the turn.

Edit: Nicopwned

But why do those phases exist, what function do they serve??

I really miss Scrolls...

Gwaer
07-11-2015, 08:43 AM
I really wish there was an auto skip if I can't play anything toggle. Bluffing just isn't worth the new player experience.

You can play quick actions and troops during those phases. And there are optimal times to play those cards depending on the situation. It's just unnecessary for very new players.

nicosharp
07-11-2015, 08:44 AM

I really miss Scrolls...
This game allows you to play cards at "QUICK" speed - meaning you can respond to anything that happens when a priority phase exists.
IE - Interrupt cards / Kill troops / Buff troops / etc. Scrolls still exists, at least for a while.

Axle
07-11-2015, 08:58 AM

I really miss Scrolls...

You can always turn them off by pressing the option button inside the wheel. It's there for the decks with quick actions, like others have said.

Cyberyn
07-11-2015, 09:02 AM
For example, I should do something here to prioritize which card blocks what, but I can't do anything!

http://i.imgur.com/ZQg657C.jpg

Also, I can't sacrifice cards that I don't need for new cards!!!

Erukk
07-11-2015, 09:13 AM
The attacking player doesn't control the blocking decision. That's up to the defending player. (Unless there is a card like pheromones involved which forces blocking.)

Cyberyn
07-11-2015, 09:15 AM
For fuck sake, I just got defeated at 2nd starter trial because I couldn't sacrifice any card to get resources so I got stuck for 3 turns.

I think I'm gonna uninstall this, if defeats like this happen at the very beginning of the tutorial.

Erukk
07-11-2015, 09:21 AM
For unicornpoop sake, I just got defeated at 2nd starter trial because I couldn't sacrifice any card to get resources so I got stuck for 3 turns.

I think I'm gonna uninstall this, if defeats like this happen at the very beginning of the tutorial.

That's because Hex doesn't use Scrolls' game mechanics. They might share the same basic concept of being "card" games, but they're vastly different creatures otherwise.

nicosharp
07-11-2015, 09:21 AM
For unicornpoop sake, I just got defeated at 2nd starter trial because I couldn't sacrifice any card to get resources so I got stuck for 3 turns.

I think you should read some new player guides. Also, reserve some opinions until you have more experience. These thoughts are very unorganized.

Play the new player tutorial again.

EntropyBall
07-11-2015, 09:22 AM
Sometimes you will just lose in Hex because you don't draw the right resources, similarly, sometimes you will just win because your opponent doesn't. If that is unacceptable to you, this might not be the game for you. That said, its a solid game and you might find you enjoy it more once you understand it a bit better. Check out this guide: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=43170

Thrawn
07-11-2015, 09:22 AM
For fuck sake, I just got defeated at 2nd starter trial because I couldn't sacrifice any card to get resources so I got stuck for 3 turns.

This isn't a thing you can do in Hex.

Cyberyn
07-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Can you even tell which enemy card will block your card?

Thrawn
07-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Can you even tell which enemy card will block your card?

After your opponent chooses blockers it's the one with the red line to one of your troops.

If you're asking if you can tell BEFORE you attack, then no, the opponent decides, not you.

Axle
07-11-2015, 09:35 AM
After your opponent chooses blockers it's the one with the red line to one of your troops.

If you're asking if you can tell BEFORE you attack, then no, the opponent decides, not you.

In continuation of that, you have to predict what they block with. A simple example, if they have a 4/4 guy and you have an 20/4 guy (doesn't exist, but example), they're going to use their 4/4 on your 20/4 probably and they both die in combat.

Cyberyn
07-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Are they planning on adding any kind of visual effects?

As far as I can tell there is only a single visual effect for all factions and all cards, which is abysmal if your game doesn't even have animations like in Scrolls.

Yoss
07-11-2015, 09:40 AM
I really wish there was an auto skip if I can't play anything toggle. Bluffing just isn't worth the new player experience.

This. I would love to have the toggle be different for vs AI and vs Player too. I would like to auto-skip vs computer AI.

Yoss
07-11-2015, 09:41 AM

As far as I can tell there is only a single visual effect for all factions and all cards, which is abysmal if your game doesn't even have animations like in Scrolls.

They are always working on UI changes and upgrades. There is just a huge amount of growth still to come for this game. It will only get better.

nicosharp
07-11-2015, 09:41 AM

I think you are going to just have to keep playing to discover things for yourself, and for the love of god, please stop comparing HEX to Scrolls....

Thrawn
07-11-2015, 09:47 AM

A visual effect for what? This is going to be somewhat of an opinion thing. I think the game has more than it needs already, visual effects and extra flourishes just slow down the game play which is the important part. I'd disable a lot of what we already had if given the option.

Axle
07-11-2015, 09:49 AM

The game focuses more on making complex cards with a high level of depth for deckbuilders and just playing in general. More animations are planned, like foils, extended art and possibly moving cards (Something like Infinity Wars) but I don't think we'll ever have Scrolls animations where they are moving characters.

I played Scrolls pretty heavily, and my friend was top 10 in Scrolls very often (also playing HEX now) and the cards there definitely don't win the award for complexity. The game itself is complex don't get me wrong, but once the mechanics are out there, that's it. This makes the engineering side of things easier for them, where they can focus more budgeting on card animations which fits their game board style much better than HEX. I think HEX has better art on the cards themselves though, especially in set 3 now.

israel.kendall
07-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Extended art, foil, and maybe that holograph looking effect from those Chinese HEX vids, that's all the visual effects I need.

Cyberyn
07-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I've played with dwarves now and there is no visual feedback or sounds to anything, sapper charge just removes a card without a peep, robots are just cards...no appropriate visual effects to anything at all.

I think I'll wait for something better.

Still can't believe how vastly superior Scrolls is and it's still shutting down.

Xenavire
07-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I've played with dwarves now and there is no visual feedback or sounds to anything, sapper charge just removes a card without a peep, robots are just cards...no appropriate visual effects to anything at all.

Still can't believe how vastly superior Scrolls is and it's still shutting down.

This is a game with a lot of strategy, having visual effects would just distract players. What we have now is ideal for healthy competitive play (and there is a lot of that.)

It's a shame that this isn't for you, but I will suggest trying to stick around and learn some tricks from more experienced players.

Cyberyn
07-11-2015, 10:38 AM
This is a game with a lot of strategy, having visual effects would just distract players. What we have now is ideal for healthy competitive play (and there is a lot of that.)

It's a shame that this isn't for you, but I will suggest trying to stick around and learn some tricks from more experienced players.

I can't win the first starter trial with dwarves, 3 times in a row.

The game is idiotic and barebones, already uninstalled it.

Thrawn
07-11-2015, 10:40 AM

To each their own.

Scrolls couldn't hold my interest for more than an hour or two and I never picked it up again. Not saying it's a bad game, but certainly didn't do it for me. Was just too shallow and simple.

Erukk
07-11-2015, 10:44 AM

I wouldn't say vastly superior. It easily has much better animations, especially since Hex hasn't really hasn't started on those minus the basic ones, but sadly nice visuals and animations don't always translate to a successful game.

Diesbudt
07-11-2015, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't say vastly superior. It easily has much better animations, especially since Hex hasn't really hasn't started on those minus the basic ones, but sadly nice visuals and animations don't always translate to a successful game.

Graphics vs gameplay, everyone has their opinion.

Graphics mean nothing to me and thus I personally believe scrolls was inferior to most TCGs I have played. (Not all, like VS System and Digimon... they were plain bad)

He feels otherwise, that is his right and opinion. But obviously (favorite metaphor) people complaining that chocolate ice cream doesn't taste like strawberry need to wake up and put down the chocolate ice cream and go get strawberry. Or do not complain.

nicosharp
07-11-2015, 10:48 AM
I can't win the first starter trial with dwarves, 3 times in a row.

The game is idiotic and barebones, already uninstalled it.
good grief..

Xavon
07-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Come on guys, stop feeding the troll.

Khendral
07-11-2015, 11:01 AM

Thrawn
07-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Come on guys, stop feeding the troll.

Don't think it was a troll. Just someone, that for some odd reason, thought Hex would be a clone of Scrolls and is a bit on the rude side.

Khendral
07-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Don't think it was a troll. Just someone, that for some odd reason, thought Hex would be a clone of Scrolls and is a bit on the rude side.

I might have (mostly) agreed with you, until the whole "idiotic" thing. Had he truly felt Hex was unworthy and uninstalled it he/she would have simply abandoned this thread.

Cyberyn
07-11-2015, 11:20 AM
I might have (mostly) agreed with you, until the whole "idiotic" thing. Had he truly felt Hex was unworthy and uninstalled it he/she would have simply abandoned this thread.

What can I tell you, the game is garbage beyond belief. I saw the interview about it from Angry Joe and decided to give it a try, but there is nothing there:

- you can't win with dwarves the first freaking starter trial! The first one! I tried 4 times (yes, one more time before I deleted it)
- there are no visuals and animations of any kind to engage you despite the game making you feel like you are retarded, there are no special sounds for cards, no special sounds for attacks, no visual effects for different cards or different factions...nothing at all.

I don't know what did you expect to happen, I'm pretty sure I can make a better game in Python.

Gwaer
07-11-2015, 11:24 AM
you can't win with the dwarves. The dwarves are a great starter deck. I've beaten the entire arena with the base deck. Bottom line, game isn't scrolls. Can't play it like scrolls, if you're not interested in learning that's your business. Visuals are coming, but are so much less important than a deep tcg experience which is what hex has. GL looking for something a bit easier, I'd suggest hearthstone, lots of animations, and hand holding.

Thrawn
07-11-2015, 11:28 AM
I'm pretty sure I can make a better game in Python.

Then why are you still here posting for no reason other than to be rude? Go make your better game, have a multi million dollar Kickstarter to get it going, and let the thousands of us who like this game keep playing it.

Yoss
07-11-2015, 11:29 AM
The dwarf starter is quite strong if you play it right.

jonsnow2000
07-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Aside from the fact that OP is unfriendly and annoying, he unfortunately has a point in his criticism - Hex currently doesn't give alot of visual feedback of the action, especially concerning damage outside of the battle phase. To make it worse, there is no "battlelog" where you can look up what happened. If you are inexperienced, you can very easily get confused. So I'm afraid there will be alot of this type of criticism in the coming months when Hex opens itself to a wider audience.

Gwaer
07-11-2015, 11:43 AM
I agree. More visuals and sounds will be good, a battle log is absolutely necessary. A proper tutorial with in depth explanations for various things over several different missions. All of those things will help mitigate these issues in the future, but I don't think it would have done anything for this guy.

RanaDunes
07-11-2015, 12:00 PM

I really miss Scrolls...

That's exactly why Hex is far more superior than 99% of all other online "TCGs" out there. Because you get to react at ANY GIVEN TIME with Quick Actions or Creature/Artifact/Constant abilities. That kind of reactive gameplay makes Hex far more exciting and deep than all other boring and passive TCGs.

You can over come the Phasing issue by pressing F10 if you're done with your turn.
I also suggest devs would add the ability to "always yield to this ability" for constants/creatures...etc. Just like in MTGO.

It's very obvious your experience with TCGs is limited. I've played Scrolls, Shadow Era, Hearthstone, Spellweaver, Duel of Champions and zillion other online TCGs they are all "meh" to me. Not to mention all the physical card games like Pokemon, yugiuh, Fantasy Flight LCGs, even CZE card games and many other TCGs... they all were lackluster. It's only MTG, Netrunner and Hex that I find satisfying.

RanaDunes
07-11-2015, 12:10 PM
Aside from the fact that OP is unfriendly and annoying, he unfortunately has a point in his criticism - Hex currently doesn't give alot of visual feedback of the action, especially concerning damage outside of the battle phase. To make it worse, there is no "battlelog" where you can look up what happened. If you are inexperienced, you can very easily get confused. So I'm afraid there will be alot of this type of criticism in the coming months when Hex opens itself to a wider audience.

Even though OP was only complaining about passing priority I agree that we need more visual aids and battlelog.
Priority passing was my first and only concern during the kickstarter. It's not only for new comers but also for "professional" players and eSports. I think there's too much unnecessary animation and player-to-player back-and-forth time (server side?) even when you press F10.

Thrawn
07-11-2015, 12:21 PM

I don't think many, if any people here would deny many of those aspects could use improvement. Especially from a new player perspective. People bristle against it being so aggressive though when it's just posting about Hex being crap vs Scrolls (a game so popular that it's being shut down).

Erukk
07-11-2015, 12:22 PM
I agree. A battle log is simply a must in the future. I could live with or without added visual effects and animations though. Growing up playing physical tcgs kinda made it easy to live and play without them. I wouldn't mind a check list in the visual options of the game to turn them on and off though.

WWKnight
07-11-2015, 12:50 PM
I for one am glad we dont have animations and bleeps and bloops everytime you play a card. id just turn them all off anyways cause theyd be a distraction.

IndigoShade
07-11-2015, 12:57 PM
I for one am glad we dont have animations and bleeps and bloops everytime you play a card. id just turn them all off anyways cause theyd be a distraction.

All things in moderation, I suppose. I have to admit I never got tired of seeing Ysera open a green portal at the end of my turn in HS. If crap like that happened with every single card, it would quickly lose it's novelty. I think it's a matter of striking a good balance of effects that augment the experience without being overdone, which is probably a lot more difficult than it sounds.

Gwaer
07-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Moderation is absolutely key. IW was far too much. It lost its appeal, magic dotp 2014 or 15 had very subtle card animations on some of the bigger legendaries and that was amazing.

Ertzi
07-11-2015, 01:10 PM
I feel kinda sorry for you, Cyberyn. You could have discovered the next level in digital card gaming and might have fallen in love with these more complex games, had you just taken the time to learn and become better. Instead you just gave up and blamed the game. I hope you will find a game that you will enjoy and be happy with. It will no doubt be something very easy to digest, pretty casual and not too challenging. AKA the exact opposite of my preference.

WWKnight
07-11-2015, 01:10 PM
IW has none, unless you zoom in on it. Unless you specifically want to see it, it stays still like cards should.

Hearthstone annoys me. Every card has something witty to say on summon. Sound volume down, play my own music. Thank you!

WWKnight
07-11-2015, 01:12 PM
As far as "casual and easy" (by no means is this game casual and easy) card games go. On iOS and android there is a game called Trouble with Robots. I strongly recommend this game to anyone looking for distractions throughout the day on a mobile device. One of the best card games ive played on any platform ever.

Cyberyn
07-11-2015, 01:53 PM
had you just taken the time to learn and become better. Instead you just gave up and blamed the game.

I have above average IQ and I did learn all the mechanics, the fact that I couldn't beat the very frst starter trial, with 4 tries, told me all I needed to know.

Either RNG garbage or incompetent design garbage.

IndigoShade
07-11-2015, 01:55 PM
I have above average IQ and I did learn all the mechanics, the fact that I couldn't beat the very frst starter trial, with 4 tries, told me all I needed to know.

Other people have managed. I'm just saying...

Cyberyn
07-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Every card has something witty to say on summon. Sound volume down, play my own music. Thank you!

Jesus imaginary christ, I hope other devs don't listen to people like you, it would be a sure business suicide.

If the game had some semblance of engaging visual effects and sounds, unique to each faction, I might have not uninstalled it, but as it is it has nothing to offer.

nicosharp
07-11-2015, 01:57 PM

IQ seems pretty irrelevant here. GL in your future gaming endeavors. Hopefully a scrolls like game comes around. Duelyst and Faeria come to mind as games you may like to try in the future when they have retail releases.

The game and the community can't help you out Cyberyn. The systems aren't in-place yet for you to have an enjoyable experience, and the RNG design elements are obviously something you can not cope with. PvE launch and Tuesday's patch will improve things, but you have issues with design systems based on your earlier post, that won't change your outlook.

Xenavire
07-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Jesus imaginary christ, I hope other devs don't listen to people like you, it would be a sure business suicide.

If the game had some semblance of engaging visual effects and sounds, unique to each faction, I might have not uninstalled it, but as it is it has nothing to offer.

HexEnt has a history of managing TCG's, and most of the devs have histories as players as well. As a person who has played physical TCG's for a good portion of his life, I can say that Hex offers me everything I could ever want from a TCG, and all the bells and whistles are just a 'bonus' (I love 99% of the visual effects, and only now and then could I want to change something.)

I do have a kind suggestion for you - come back later this year, or maybe even next year, and have another go when the full campaign is being rolled out. That will likely bring a whole host of bells and whistles that should appeal more to you.

Diesbudt
07-11-2015, 02:22 PM

All I get from this post is you like easy fluff (fluff being sounds and graphics) games and not complex strategy/gameplay type TCGs. And the fact that you say you un-installed and then keep coming back to post, speaks volume of your character, and does not help you in any regard.

I could care less, and the is so much more they can put into the game then waste it on visuals and bells. However when the full pve comes out the dungeons will have much more visuals, some bells and storytelling.

shocker455
07-11-2015, 02:27 PM
Hex isn't for him, all there really is to it. As for people learning tcg like hex/magic it not very easy to teach. I've see many people make the samemistake over and over when I tired to teach them magic. This is something hex will need to live with.

Tad surprised a programmer couldn't pick it up fast tho.

RanaDunes
07-11-2015, 02:29 PM
This is the same exact problem MMORPGs had before World of Warcraft. MMORPGs was a niche genre for specific audience but Blizzard managed to streamline it (and dumb it down) so everyone (those who shouldn't be interested in the genre) got in.

The OP would never play a TCG back in the 90s, he's not a TCG player. He just tried other "strategy" game with a label "TCG" on them and thought every game is so passive and streamlined like that! He clearly doesn't belong to the 90s era when we picked up MTG which in a way similar to Hex in game mechanics, same genre. No game to guide us through the rules or teach us the game, we still managed to play it and I was a teenager and not a "Very Smart Person with High IQ" smug. I managed to enjoy it and play it. Now with the digital world, Hex is FAR MORE EASIER to play than MTG did to me in the 90s.

The OP is full of himself and he clearly mistook a TCG with those strategy games he plays (and I love those games like Hearthstone and Scrolls). Those aren't TCGs and the passiveness is a big part of the game play. The OP is not ready for different game mechanics at all. He failed the trial, damn... I showed the game to my below-average IQ friend and she picked it up easily without any problems.

Khendral
07-11-2015, 02:53 PM
RanaDunes, human below-average IQ is always much, much bigger than troll above-average IQ ;)

Mejis
07-11-2015, 03:10 PM

To be fair, what that says is that you were either exceptionally unlucky with your card draws, or that you didn't really know what you were doing/didn't understand what each card did.
The starter dwarf deck is exceptionally strong when played well. This game requires a huge amount of skill. Unfortunately it sounds like you don't have the patience to learn. I strongly advise you to reinstall and try again, perhaps asking in chat for advice, read the new player guides online...
Given how much you like scrolls, it sounds like you enjoy ccgs and tcgs, so you're doing yourself a disservice by passing by HEX after just 4 losses.
(And yes, perhaps they need to make the starter trials easier for complete newcomers to this type of game.)

Mejis
07-11-2015, 03:16 PM

How about incredible art unique to each card?
Card traits and strategies unique to each shard/faction ?

These are the things HEX has in spades and that are most important from a design perspective.

Hearthstone, whilst beautifully polished visually and on the audio front, has very little strategy. This might be a better fit for you, but again, you are doing yourself a disservice to give up on HEX so easily. The game is still in beta, UI polish and sound and visual design improvements will come as time goes on (so long as they done slow down gameplay then that's fine by me but by no means a priority)

WWKnight
07-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Ha. Mejis, we played in proving grounds last night. You mutinied my buccaneers and thrashed me with them. Traitors!

Fact is guys, this guy doesnt WANT to play Hex. Let's just leave it be. He is only popping in to incite. He doesnt care to learn anything.

Mejis
07-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Ha. Mejis, we played in proving grounds last night. You mutinied my buccaneers and thrashed me with them. Traitors!

Fact is guys, this guy doesnt WANT to play Hex. Let's just leave it be. He is only popping in to incite. He doesnt care to learn anything.

Hah, awesome. That was fun, but sorry for getting so lucky on the buc ;)

Nice to meet you forum-side.

Axle
07-11-2015, 03:38 PM
HEX is a game currently targeted for players who prefer higher level gameplay over graphics yes. The PVE coming soon will help with more casual players over the other things, but this game will always put gameplay over graphics first.

Kami
07-11-2015, 04:15 PM
This thread has derailed entirely. Closed.

Please review the Code of Conduct.