PDA

View Full Version : Why do Orcs keep slaves?

Voormas
07-11-2015, 07:18 PM
From the writeup of Kog’Tepetl (https://www.hextcg.com/primals/) on the Primals lore page;

The orc gladiatorial arena is the center of their culture, where violent bouts between orc combatants, feral monsters, and captured slaves are cheered on by zealous spectators.

My question is; do Orcs keep slaves because they are just bad people, or is this demanded by their evil god?

Even if Kog’Tepetl demands it I don't think that makes them good people, but I'm wondering just how bad the Orcs are...

Xenavire
07-11-2015, 08:03 PM
From the writeup of Kog’Tepetl (https://www.hextcg.com/primals/) on the Primals lore page;

My question is; do Orcs keep slaves because they are just bad people, or is this demanded by their evil god?

Even if Kog’Tepetl demands it I don't think that makes them good people, but I'm wondering just how bad the Orcs are...

I'd say the slavery is likely a part of being prisoners of war. I could see captured Shin'hare, Dwarves, and Necrotic being sent into the arena to be slaughtered by an angry Orc. (Not saying it makes it right, just less outright evil. :p)

Erukk
07-12-2015, 08:35 PM
This is also brought up in the Orcs' own lore page, but the short answer is that they send out war parties to capture slaves to fight in the pits, and they do so because the Primal they centered their entire culture around demands sacrifices. Both the Orcs and Kog’Tepetl are mutually guilty on that.

https://www.hextcg.com/story/orcs/

Orcs are not the only creatures who battle in their arena. War parties are often sent out to capture other creatures to fight. Orcs prefer to challenge themselves against creatures with a modicum of self-awareness, such as ogres, cyclops, and trolls. A captured slave that wins a large number of battles can earn themselves a valued place in orc society, meriting such perks as their individual freedom or even a comfortable home. A non-orc can never become a High Cleric, no matter how many arena matches it wins.

I not sure if we have any confirmation on whether or not they still raid their Argent allies anymore, but they seem to mostly raid and enslave the "lesser" races and their Underworld enemies for the gladiatorial fights. Minus the Vennen, because they have a kill on sight order for them.

Voormas
07-12-2015, 11:05 PM
Right, so the other races in the Ardent alliance couldn't pretend like it is some big secret that one of their biggest allies isn't just bloodthirsty but also morally abhorrent as a matter of course

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is some kind of mistake that needs to be changed - I eagerly look forward to future sets / dungeons highlights just how monstrous the "good guys" can be (and how noble / etc the "bad guys" can be?)

Kaiba_Graysoul
07-12-2015, 11:58 PM
Orcs are like the bad that good turn to when there is a greater evil

Erukk
07-13-2015, 12:17 AM
Orcs are like the bad that good turn to when there is a greater evil

Just about. I'd imagine the humans along with the other Argent races suffered from the Orcs' war parties previously, but during the Underworld Incursion they decided to just become allies of convenience. The Argents needed more numbers to combat against the overwhelming Underworld forces, and with the Vennen allying with the Necrotic, that made the choice clear on which side the Orcs would be supporting.