PDA

View Full Version : Authenticators and Client Stablility

TheSwallowsNest
07-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Now that Authenticators are going to be available, I find myself wanting to use them but not really.

The reason for my hesitation at using it, is the sheer number of times I am forced to restart my client during my playing of hex. Iím alreadly cussing up a storm every time I have to do this, and having to type in some numbers would probably drive me over the edge.

There are sporadic pvp bugs that occur during drafting that require a client reset, then I sit on the edge of my seat worrying if Iím going to be able to log in with time before I get an auto loss.

However much more problematic for me is the damn arena ďsynchingĒ bug that causes me to reset my client at least a half dozen times every single run through the arena. Sometimes its as many as 10-15 resets before I can finish the arena run.

This bug was reported on the bug report forum and was dismissed as a ďconnectionĒ problem since not many people are experiencing it. However it affects me very badly. Iíve also seen a few other people complaining about it.

I dispute the claim that this merely a ďconnectionĒ problem and indeed represents a bug that does affect a perhaps small portion of the playerbase. I base this argument on 2 reasons.

1. This synching problem never occurs during pvp play. It cant be magical coincidence that my connection is always better when Iím drafting and always worse when Iím in arena.

2. The synching never resolves even if I give it a long time, yet after I reset the client I can always get right back in.

Perhaps there are small connection errors or whatever from where Iím playing and then the game is unable to deal with it and it just hangs forever. That is the bug. Although in the past 4 months Iíve lived in 3 states and played on 2 different windows 8 computers and Iíve had the same problem everywhere.

YourOpponent
07-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Not all authenticators are the random number code sort like they use for WoW. For example some authenticators are IP address based instead and whenever you login with an IP address they don't recognize they won't let you in unless you authorize it by clicking on a link that they automatically E-mailed you for it being a new IP address.

x78089
07-12-2015, 10:37 PM
I believe they are using google (I could be wrong) in which case it is numbers.

Thoom
07-12-2015, 10:40 PM
Simple solution (used by other games with authenticators, such as WoW and GW2): Checkbox for "remember this computer" and only have to re-authenticate if your IP address changes or once every <period of time>.

sonejidh
07-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Yes i hope there will be a checkbox like that, entering those numbers each time takes quite a while

shocker455
07-13-2015, 01:28 AM
Idk how they could simply dismiss the sync bug. Its a bug that flat out ruins the experience. Seems to happen at least 3 times per arena run for me. Much less likely in pvp. Gotta say every time it happens i get more annoyed with hex :(.

If it happens to a new player they wont know whats going on, proceed to think the game is broke and unplayable.

edit: After looking at the bug form, always assumed it was there so didn't bother with reporting it... Seems like everyone writes it off as us having terrible connections, and that its the users fault and responsibility to fix it... maybe if hex was made in the 1990's that would be acceptable, but not now days. The last game i ever had noticeable connection problems was with warcraft3, which was over 10 years ago, and the game would just pause for 10 seconds.(which only happened once every few months).

It is a serious bug for hex, and if its on their list of bugs to fix soon then that's fine. But if they are going to write it off, that's disappointing...

Mejis
07-13-2015, 03:22 AM
I've never experienced a sync bug in all my thousands of arena games (Uruu is a lie)... But I feel for you if you're getting this. Hope it is indeed a bug that can be fixed for those who experience it.

Thrawn
07-13-2015, 06:40 AM
I've never experienced a sync bug in all my thousands of arena games (Uruu is a lie)... But I feel for you if you're getting this. Hope it is indeed a bug that can be fixed for those who experience it.

I've been getting it roughly once every run. Makes me wonder what the common thread is between people having issues and not.

Svenn
07-13-2015, 06:51 AM

Same. I do multiple tournaments a week and several arena runs. I've never run into this bug.

I do hope they add a "Remember this computer" option though. I hate having to pull out my phone every time I log in.

Salverus
07-13-2015, 07:04 AM
here is a tip
for the sync bug you can also hit escape settings and log out.
thats a bit faster than alt f4 and restarting entire game

Gwaer
07-13-2015, 07:20 AM
I think the bug you're taking about has been repeatedly tracked down as a bad connection, even if other sites and games work uninterrupted dropping packets with hex has been the cause with everyone who has been willing to do in depth troubleshooting. There are a number of reasons why this could be. And it's possible we'll get updated net code in the future to help make your clients connection to the server a bit more robust.

Mandalore
07-13-2015, 07:43 AM
While it is frustrating to have to re-authenticate every time you get disconnected, the benefit of my collection being secure outweighs the "inconvenience."

ghulzen
07-13-2015, 08:00 AM
I've been getting it roughly once every run. Makes me wonder what the common thread is between people having issues and not.

You're not talking about the issue where it appears the client stalls? Particularly after the AI plays a crackling vortex? If so, I get that all the time and used to think I needed to alt-f4, when you can actually either hit spacebar, or advance your stage using the function keys.

Xexist
07-13-2015, 09:48 AM
I used to have connection issues during draft. would disconnect roughly once per match (once during 3 games) but often I was not able to login quickly enough to not time out after 5 minutes and lose a game.

Really was not fun so I feel for you.

I connect through a USB dongle now instead of one of those powerline devices, since then Ive not had the same issue.

So in essense I think it WAS on my side, but HEX handled it really poorly because no other program ever had issues with my connection and when I got disconnected web browsing etc all still worked so I always considered it a minor 'hiccup' in my connection that HEX just couldnt handle.

Tazelbain
07-13-2015, 09:55 AM
The client recovers poorly from packet lose. I blame HexEnt and they should fix it. But if you are tired of waiting HexEnt, I suggest identifying the source of packet loss and fixing it. For me it was a new $25 5Ghz wifi card because my neighbor was jamming my 3GhZ wifi with a baby monitor.

ziggarius
07-13-2015, 09:56 AM
The client recovers poorly from packet lose. I blame HexEnt and they should fix it. But if you are tired of waiting HexEnt, identifying the source of packet loss and fixing it. For me it was a new $25 5Ghz wifi card because my neighbor was jamming my 3GhZ wifi with a baby monitor.

And this is why I run ethernet everywhere. :D

Svenn
07-13-2015, 10:00 AM
And this is why I run ethernet everywhere. :D

Yeap. I've got 2 routers in my apartment with a 50ft cable running between them so we can have devices in the living room and in the computer area both hooked up wired.