PDA

View Full Version : So, what is block 1's name??

Sparrow
07-13-2015, 04:46 PM
I always see Block 1 referred to as sets 1 and 2 rather than having an actual name that relates to the game world. Likewise, I've only seen Block 2 referred to as sets 3 and 4. This may seem minor, but the blocks really deserve to have names that reflect Hex rather than the generic tags they have now.

It's tempting to call block 1 Alpha and block 2 Beta, but that's already been done elsewhere and given the legal situation would probably not be helpful.

Unless of course I missed the memo on what the block names are.... then, nevermind.

Tazelbain
07-13-2015, 04:53 PM
Baby Yeti's Master Plan: It Begins

Gwaer
07-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Shards of fate probably as much as Cory et al love naming things the same thing.

poizonous
07-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Block 1 : Old Faithful
Block 2 : Soon TM

Zophie
07-13-2015, 05:01 PM
The last 2 blocks of WoW TCG both had unique names for the blocks (Aftermath and Timewalkers) separate from the set names themselves, and I was actually curious if Hex would use block names as well. I don't think it's necessary to have but would still be interesting to know if they have plans to do this in the future. It does at least help players differentiate the blocks a little more.

Aftermath: Throne of the Tides
Aftermath: Crown of the Heavens
Aftermath: Tomb of the Forgotten
Timewalkers: War of the Ancients
Timewalkers: Betrayal of the Guardian
Timewalkers: Reign of Fire

Gwaer
07-13-2015, 05:04 PM
Set 1 block 1 Hex Shards of fate, shards of fate - shards of fate
set 2 block 1 Hex Shards of fate, shards of fate - Shattered destiny
set 3 block 2 Hex Shards of fate, shattered destiny - Armies of myth

ziggarius
07-13-2015, 05:05 PM
Shards of fate probably as much as Cory et al love naming things the same thing.

It's not a love for it, it's because it's good game design. :rolleyes:

Gwaer
07-13-2015, 05:06 PM
It's not a love for it, it's because it's good game design. :rolleyes:

I'm glad someone else remembers that quote =)

ziggarius
07-13-2015, 05:06 PM
It's only taught in everyone game design theory 101 across the country. :p

Sparrow
07-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Well, I'm thinking that Blocks 1 and 2 (or sets 1 through 4) will be collectively known as Shards of Fate in the future. They'll really need something else when Block 3 starts, though. A name that reflects the story or mechanics of a block is kind of essential, I think.

vulture27
07-13-2015, 05:18 PM
Well, I'm thinking that Blocks 1 and 2 (or sets 1 through 4) will be collectively known as Shards of Fate in the future. They'll really need something else when Block 3 starts, though. A name that reflects the story or mechanics of a block is kind of essential, I think.

Too many syllables for common discussion. My bet:

Set 1/2 - Fate Block
Set 3/4 - Myth Block

Sparrow
07-13-2015, 05:32 PM
From playing Magic, set/block names get abbreviated. For example Mirrodin block is MIR or MD5 for the names of the 3 sets in the block.

I like Fate and Myth, though, but limiting blocks to one syllable words forever would get pretty dull.

Mahes
07-13-2015, 06:13 PM
Lets call it New Kids.

vulture27
07-13-2015, 06:14 PM
From playing Magic, set/block names get abbreviated. For example Mirrodin block is MIR or MD5 for the names of the 3 sets in the block.

I like Fate and Myth, though, but limiting blocks to one syllable words forever would get pretty dull.

Yeah, I was also thinking in line with MtG. For a very long time the blocks were limited to 2 syllables coming from the 1st set's name - Homelands, Ice Age, Urza, Masques, Mirage, Tempest.

Both of Hex's first two blocks don't cut down nicely from 3/4 syllables to 2.

Zophie
07-13-2015, 07:03 PM
Too many syllables for common discussion. My bet:

Set 1/2 - Fate Block
Set 3/4 - Myth Block

I'm good with this. /thread

RCDv57
07-14-2015, 10:57 AM
They should just name all the blocks after pronouns.

My Block
Your Block
Her Block
That Block

Gwaer
07-14-2015, 12:17 PM
One block
Two block
Red block
Blue block

poizonous
07-14-2015, 12:22 PM
Jenny from the Block

Sparrow
07-14-2015, 12:34 PM
Now I'm really worried they're going to name it something totally cornball. Please stop.

Gwaer
07-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Gwaer block my name is one syllable! Woot. Maybe we can get a chicken themed block some day......

Sparrow
07-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Names are really important. Real life example:

There's a sci-fi book that came out in the last few years. One of the most philosophical, intelligent sci-fi books I've ever read. The problem I'm having is the author chose to give the name "vampire" to a human off-shoot species (they're not vampires, that's just what people call them) and I made the mistake of telling a friend of mine that the book is about a space ship from Earth in the 22nd century, going to make first contact with an alien species that's on the edge of our solar system. The ship is piloted by a "vampire" and.... that was as far as I got. He's not interested in reading it and nothing I've been able to do has changed his mind.

So, if they call Block 1 Jenny, or Gwaer, or Princess Cory's Secret Ball, or Revenge of the Mancubus, it's going to be harder to get a skeptical person to even take a look at it after hearing that.

Miwa
07-14-2015, 01:25 PM
All I hope is that we keep calling blocks and sets by number. Names don't imply order, and if you aren't playing the game for its entire history you have no clue about the 'when' of things when people talk about stuff outside the current set/block.

Showsni
07-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Block 1: Shards of Destiny.
Block 2: Armies of (whatever the second word in set 4 is).

darkwonders
07-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Block 1 - Of Orcs and Men
Block 2 - Coyotle Ugly

RobHaven
07-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Block 2 - Coyotle Ugly

Hahahaha
This has my vote!!

NOBLEStarshield
07-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Block 2 - Coyotle Ugly

+1

Erukk
07-14-2015, 04:51 PM
Maybe we can get a chicken themed block some day......

I'm not sure how the players would react knowing that Hex would be C--- Blocking them for a year or so. ;)

GPrime
07-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Set 1/2 - Fate Block
Set 3/4 - Myth Block

These are the terms I've been encouraging our writers to use and haven't had any arguments yet.

Zophie
07-14-2015, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure how the players would react knowing that Hex would be C--- Blocking them for a year or so. ;)

I was hoping someone else would pick up on that too. ;)

Gwaer
07-14-2015, 05:08 PM

Thank you Erukk. I kept wanting to reiterate this amazing idea until someone caught on.

darkwonders
07-14-2015, 06:43 PM
+1

:D

I couldn't think of any other word play for Block 2... I drew a blank for Vennen and Necrotic.

Xenavire
07-15-2015, 05:28 AM
:D

I couldn't think of any other word play for Block 2... I drew a blank for Vennen and Necrotic.

Phenteo's Web never crossed your mind? :p

ziggarius
07-15-2015, 06:27 AM
Names are really important. Real life example:

There's a sci-fi book that came out in the last few years. One of the most philosophical, intelligent sci-fi books I've ever read. The problem I'm having is the author chose to give the name "vampire" to a human off-shoot species (they're not vampires, that's just what people call them) and I made the mistake of telling a friend of mine that the book is about a space ship from Earth in the 22nd century, going to make first contact with an alien species that's on the edge of our solar system. The ship is piloted by a "vampire" and.... that was as far as I got. He's not interested in reading it and nothing I've been able to do has changed his mind.

So, if they call Block 1 Jenny, or Gwaer, or Princess Cory's Secret Ball, or Revenge of the Mancubus, it's going to be harder to get a skeptical person to even take a look at it after hearing that.

What book is this now? You've peaked my interest at least.

Sparrow
07-15-2015, 07:59 AM
What book is this now? You've peaked my interest at least.
Blindsight, by Peter Watts. There's also a sequel called Echopraxia. A lot of thoughtful reviews on Amazon.

ziggarius
07-15-2015, 07:59 AM
Blindsight, by Peter Watts. There's also a sequel called Echopraxia. A lot of thoughtful reviews on Amazon.

Thanks, I'll check em out.

Sparrow
07-15-2015, 08:01 AM
Thanks, I'll check em out.
If you read and like it or hate it shoot me a pm and let me know.

Incindium
07-15-2015, 08:03 AM
Yeah I wishlisted that book myself. Thanks.

Steelio
07-15-2015, 08:06 AM
'That which shall not be named'

vickrpg
07-15-2015, 10:33 AM
I will check this book out as well, sounds pretty cool.

it piqued (http://blog.dictionary.com/pique-peak-peek/) my interest as well.

Zophie
07-15-2015, 10:34 AM
it piqued (http://blog.dictionary.com/pique-peak-peek/) my interest as well.

lol that's hilarious I literally just sent that same link to a co-worker yesterday after they made the same mistake :)

Sparrow
07-15-2015, 12:04 PM
I kinda wish we had an off-topic forum so we could have threads dedicated to different subjects (like games, books, movies, sports, etc.) rather than just an off-topic dumpster thread. There are other places online, obv, to talk about that stuff, but it's fun to have those discussions within a smaller community where everyone already has one interest in common (the greatest digital TCG ever created).