PDA

View Full Version : Clicks not registering - Feature or bug?

Cooltyp
07-16-2015, 08:35 AM
I don't know if this is just me but many times I have to click on a card twice to make it attack, play it, enlarge it, select it for an effect etc..
Is this a bug? I know I'm clicking very fast, but I don't think it can be designed to make me wait after each click, can it? It's really, really frustrating and kind of destroys the flow of the game for me. It just doesn't feel smooth at all and it has led me to multiple misplays because a card I wanted to select wasn't selected before I clicked the next one.

I don't really think this can be just me since the menü works just fine. This is just ingame and it's really a shame since I like the game and want it to play a bit smoother.

Vorpal
07-16-2015, 08:55 AM
On my computer, a single click always works.

On my surface pro 3 touch screen, I feel like I almost always have to click twice.

nicosharp
07-16-2015, 09:57 AM
There are a lot of instances in this game of responsiveness delay. Generally, from my experience, it is because when you think you have priority to perform a click/action sometimes the game is not yet ready for you to perform an action.

Basically, what I think is happening is sometimes the visual queues (like cards glowing/being highlighted) happen before the HEX server is ready for you to respond.

A typical example of this is playing a shard, then trying to play a card. There is usually a wait time between the animation going off, and finishing before you can play the next card, even if the next card may already be visually highlighted.

I also responded to a thread like this on Reddit - My thought is, Development may want to consider allowing Player input to take precedence over animation load times/etc. during a priority window. Hearthstone does this to great effect allowing all player made actions load, and slowly resolve as both the animations/code resolves based on their inputs.

Potentially the biggest limitation here is almost every click 1 player makes, means an opposing player gets an opportunity to respond. It's perhaps at this point that a "hiccup" occurs that passes an imaginary ball on the server from 1 player to the other, and delays further input commands from going through (even if placing a shard doesn't give your opponent priority, this programming may still happen on the server side?)

Cooltyp
07-16-2015, 10:28 AM
On my computer, a single click always works.
Have you ever tried attacking with 5+ troops or so by clicking on them in 1-2 seconds? It just doesn't work. I tried this on multiple computers. Maybe you're clicking much more slowly than I do but you basically have to wait a bit after clicking on one so the next one registers.

@nicosharp
I understand what you're saying and I think you're right. The only thing that I find strange is the same scenario I described earlier. When you're trying to choose which troops attack, the opponent does not get priority after choosing every single unit. But it still happens there.
And to be honest I also thought of Hearthstone as an example where this problem doesn't occur and everything just works. I just want to be able to do things where the opponent shouldn't get priority uninterrupted. And I want to be able to do that as fast as I want.

Yoss
07-16-2015, 05:20 PM
The UI isn't nearly as responsive as I'd like. If I play "too fast" then it can't keep up with me. I'm hoping the memory fix will improve things, but I think there's going to be a lot more optimization before the UI is as snappy as it should be.