PDA

View Full Version : Coyotle Signs

loopholist3
07-16-2015, 10:42 AM
Decided to try and interpret the signs that are on the coyotle cards in hopes of getting clues at future sets. If you think you have a better interpretation feel free to comment.

"This is the First Sign: We know of the coming of the diamond-eyed, who took the land beneath the land and walk with barrowed flesh."

Arrival of the Necrotic.

"This is the Second Sign: Out lands will see the coming of the rock men and their metal beasts with blood of black. They shall seek the end of all things."

Arrival of the Dwarfs.

"This is the Third Sign: A strange beast like a buffalo but with great long horns and eyes like glowing coals will overrun the land in large numbers."

Rhinoceros? Crash of Beasts? Set 4 Beast?

"This is the Fourth Sign: Thin, hairless creatures of pure chaos will shatter an ancient soul that was long ago transformed."

Goblins will kill somebody important. Possibly a Vennen or Chaostouched?

"This is the Fifth Sign: The daughter of Blood Magic will emerge from the mouth of the mountain and speak to those who will not listen."

Xentoth will try and talk to the orcs from Kog'tepetl's mouth.

"This is the Sixth Sign: The land shall be criss-crossed with rivers of stone that make pictures in the sun."

Lava?

"This is the Seventh Sign: The grasses will absorb the cries of the dying. They will turn brown and scorn the sun."

A very large battle?

"This is the Eighth Sign: The folk with the skin of bark who hold their souls in acorns shall abandon their pacifism and seek the counsel of the elves."

The Arborean will join the elves.

"This is the Ninth Sign: The sovereign of the cottontails shall once again demand the enslavement of The People."

The shinhare Emperor will shift the focus of the shinhare to the coyotle.

"This is the Tenth Sign: A child from the east will emerge in light. The people of the sand will beg him for salvation."

Unknown Human? Golden Avenger?

"This is the Eleventh Sign: The wounds of a bruised world shall once again bleed fire."

More Lava?

"This is the Twelfth Sign: A hero shall fall, then raise again as a king who is not a king."

Vampire King will put on the mask of the Golden Avenger? Same but Princess Cory?

"This is the Thirteenth Sign: The battle between the infernal and the insane shall tear a hole into this world."

Chaostouched and Goblins will create a trans-dimensional rift?

bwarner
07-16-2015, 10:45 AM
The third one sounds like the Woolvir. Actually, Minotaurs might be even more likely, they have the eyes like glowing coals.

loopholist3
07-16-2015, 11:00 AM
I wasn't considering humanoids because of the reference to beasts. But your right, the Minotaurs eyes fit that description a lot better than Rhinos do.

Flairina
07-16-2015, 11:12 AM
First two are obvious.

Minotaurs sounds correct to me.

Ancient, transformed soul sounds a lot like Oberon if you ask me.

The Daughter of Blood Magic wouldn't be Xentoth, would it? She's the primal. Unless she's considered to have been made literally by and of blood magic, she'd be more "the incarnation" of blood magic. But there aren't any other real candidates for that, and although I can't imagine why she'd speak to the orcs there's at least something of a connection, unlike anything else I can think of, so...

My guess for the sixth one is yeah, lava, possibly some sort of huge catastrophe all across Entrath? Multiple volcanoes, maybe eruptions from the core of the planet? Did the dwarves finally hit the center or something?

Seventh seems ambiguous. Possible battle, possible plague, possible curse, not gonna try to extensively guess this one.

Arborean joining the elves sounds about right, though I feel like it should be more extensive/inclusive than that.

Ninth one sounds more like the Shin'hare shifting the focus of his attention to humanity than the coyotle, I kind of thought they were still focused on the coyotle even now, but either is valid.

Tenth could refer to that prophesized Shin'hare genius that will overthrow Ito talked about in the developer's notes, but that seems unlikely (even a "good" Shin'hare wouldn't be a "child of light"). We don't know a people of the sands yet so far as I'm aware, so this is hard to guess at.

Would assume more lava and eruptions for this one, yeah, but there has to be some sort of reason or twist to it...

Twelve has so many possible interpretations that I'm not even gonna TRY. Doubt it has anything to do with Vampire King though.

Definitely involves the chaostouched and almost certainly the goblins, my assumption would be this is where it all hits the fan and the major races have very little choice but to unite to try to beat back the chaostouched.

loopholist3
07-16-2015, 11:21 AM
The Daughter of Blood Magic wouldn't be Xentoth, would it? She's the primal. Unless she's considered to have been made literally by and of blood magic, she'd be more "the incarnation" of blood magic. But there aren't any other real candidates for that, and although I can't imagine why she'd speak to the orcs there's at least something of a connection, unlike anything else I can think of, so...

I was thinking that she was litterally made from blood magic because of the following flavor text: "The first two sentient creature to emerge from the lake of blood were Xythnin and Xentoth. The male and female spider gods were imbued with The Weaver's blood." -Arachnomicon 6

Ninth one sounds more like the Shin'hare shifting the focus of his attention to humanity than the coyotle, I kind of thought they were still focused on the coyotle even now, but either is valid.

I went with coyotle because of this flavor text on the Canyon Scout: "Coyotle call other races 'nahali', which means, 'Those not of the People'."

Flairina
07-16-2015, 12:36 PM
I was thinking that she was litterally made from blood magic because of the following flavor text: "The first two sentient creature to emerge from the lake of blood were Xythnin and Xentoth. The male and female spider gods were imbued with The Weaver's blood." -Arachnomicon 6

I went with coyotle because of this flavor text on the Canyon Scout: "Coyotle call other races 'nahali', which means, 'Those not of the People'."

Both fair points. I knew how Xentoth came in to being, and I agree that it is probably referring to her, I just feel the title "Daughter of Blood Magic" seems a bit odd to apply to a primal whose domain is literally blood magic. But whatever, not disagreeing.

The second one, okay, yeah, very convincing evidence. I mean my point was sort of weak with "The People" being capitalized, meaning it probably didn't refer to humans anyways, but that really drives the point home. Weird though, I thought the Shin'hare were ALREADY still attacking and trying to enslave the coyotle. The truce doesn't stop fighting, it just stops all out war. I wasn't aware the Shin'hare had ever given up that goal. So why would it say "once again"? Does something happen BEFORE this that makes them stop until later?

vickrpg
07-16-2015, 12:43 PM
"This is the Third Sign: A strange beast like a buffalo but with great long horns and eyes like glowing coals will overrun the land in large numbers."

"This is the Thirteenth Sign: The battle between the infernal and the insane shall tear a hole into this world."

3rd: I actually thought that "The strange beasts" would be demons, like malice demon. Minotaur work too I guess. Or maybe it's an Easter Egg talking about how there will always be a buffalo card.
13th: I thought of demons for infernals again. or maybe imps. I don't think goblins are called infernals... or chaos touched... the only "infernal" reference I remember in hex is infernal professor. and he is an imp, isn't he?
the insane could be the chaos touched or the goblins though.

Thand
07-16-2015, 01:17 PM
The eleventh sign to me sounds as if it is referring to the twin volcanoes produced by the impact of Hex. If they are the "wounds of a bruised world" then it's obvious what it means for them to "bleed fire".

The thirteenth appears to refer to the Void Society vs. Chaostouched, not goblins. The lore description even describes the Void Society members as being from the same place as the Chaostouched and having an "infernal appearance".

BlackRoger
07-16-2015, 02:02 PM
"This is the Fifth Sign: The daughter of Blood Magic will emerge from the mouth of the mountain and speak to those who will not listen."

Xentoth will try and talk to the orcs from Kog'tepetl's mouth.

Interesting interpretation, probably better then mine.
I thought maybe it was Myrym raising the dead, who obviously don't listen very well.
Did not know how to connect the mountain though.

sukebe
07-16-2015, 02:26 PM
I really do not think infernal references the chaostouched. here is the definition of infernal:

in·fer·nal
inˈfərnl/Submit
adjective
of, relating to, or characteristic of hell or the underworld.
"the infernal regions"
synonyms: hellish, nether, subterranean, underworld, chthonic, Tartarean; More
informal
irritating and tiresome (used for emphasis).
"you're an infernal nuisance"
synonyms: damnable, wretched, confounded; More

My guess would be demons/imps for the first definition or just imps if you take the second definition :-)

Audens
07-16-2015, 02:28 PM
I really do not think infernal references the chaostouched. here is the definition of infernal:

in·fer·nal
inˈfərnl/Submit
adjective
of, relating to, or characteristic of hell or the underworld.
"the infernal regions"
synonyms: hellish, nether, subterranean, underworld, chthonic, Tartarean; More
informal
irritating and tiresome (used for emphasis).
"you're an infernal nuisance"
synonyms: damnable, wretched, confounded; More

My guess would be demons/imps for the first definition or just imps if you take the second definition :-)

"Infernal" refers to The Void Society, not to the Chaostouched. The Chaostouched are the "insane" part of the sign.

Flairina
07-16-2015, 03:09 PM
"Infernal" refers to The Void Society, not to the Chaostouched. The Chaostouched are the "insane" part of the sign.

Hmm, that would make most sense. Guess the lore about the goblins being "insane" clouded my judgment there. To be fair, I'm running on three hours of sleep right now.

sukebe
07-16-2015, 04:59 PM

I still do not think the void society is the infernals mentioned. the void cards (chaostouched, void society etc) are more related to the far realms and/or cthulu than infernal suggests.

Erukk
07-16-2015, 05:09 PM
I really do not think infernal references the chaostouched.

As said before, infernal is the word used to describe the Void Society since they look like the old fashioned red skinned demons. Insane is used to describe their enemies, the chaostouched.

sukebe
07-17-2015, 12:30 AM
As said before, infernal is the word used to describe the Void Society since they look like the old fashioned red skinned demons. Insane is used to describe their enemies, the chaostouched.

well, this made me reread the story section on the void society and it seems you and the others are likely right. I admit defeat :-)

ossuary
07-17-2015, 05:37 AM
The 10th sign likely is a hint at parts of Entrath we haven't been exposed to yet. Lands from the east, the desert... there's nothing like that in Carloth. We should expect to start hearing more about the other lands in Entrath within the next few sets (and the PVE campaign will move us through those regions eventually).