PDA

View Full Version : Let's make Arena bonus gold premanent!

Sparrow
07-16-2015, 10:16 PM
I don't typically ask for handouts, but this bonus Arena gold feels right to me and I'm wondering if there is any chance it could be made permanent? For the first time in months Arena doesn't seem like a pointless boring grind and it's nice knowing that when I finish a run I'll have earned enough gold to roll a blue chest and that it just takes 3 runs to earn enough to roll an orange.

I know, it's probably a hopeless thing to request. I actually feel dirty now for even asking. Shrug.

Mejis
07-16-2015, 10:28 PM
I also love the bonus gold, but that was for the AAs.
I'd definitely be happy to have this level of gold for moving onto my pile of rare chests, but I doubt it'll stay the way it is. I'm sure HEXEnt have considered the gold payouts very carefully.

Flairina
07-16-2015, 10:29 PM
While I agree that the arena feels a lot more rewarding this way, it's doubtful they'll keep the bonus. Hex already is giving out more "money" than most any other MMO per hour, even if that only amounts to about 75 cents. The problem is that the chests cost a lot more to spin than a single run can get you, and grinding is boring. But that's a business model for you, generous as it technically is (if not feels), they DO still want you to buy plat and exchange it with other people for gold.

purehybrid
07-16-2015, 11:36 PM
While I agree that the arena feels a lot more rewarding this way, it's doubtful they'll keep the bonus. Hex already is giving out more "money" than most any other MMO per hour, even if that only amounts to about 75 cents. The problem is that the chests cost a lot more to spin than a single run can get you, and grinding is boring. But that's a business model for you, generous as it technically is (if not feels), they DO still want you to buy plat and exchange it with other people for gold.

Hex isn't giving out anything. Literally not a cent (unless you count the fact that they could be creating plat sinks instead of gold sinks). The players buying gold decide what it is worth. The only reason gold is worth as much as it is, is because while gold has good uses, so few people are willing to put up with the mind numbing arena grind. The more f2p players we get, the more the gold price will drop. The more attractive gold sinks are introduced, the more gold price will rise.

Ariathor
07-16-2015, 11:54 PM
The problem is we have 2-3 gold sinks already in the game and only one gold faucet. I believe that they should temporarily increase the gold from arena until we get the rest of the PvP content out, but that isn't very likely to happen.

Cernz
07-17-2015, 12:56 AM
id say, double it again and then make it permanent ;)

Steelio
07-17-2015, 01:49 AM
Something Smite do fairly regularly is free gem weekends. You win gems [the in game currency] for winning matches [generally between 200 - 700 if i remember] which is like a new skin or voicepack or what have you. This would be fairly decent for HEX I feel - Complete an arena run once per day over a given time-frame, get 5000 bonus gold. It would also help to shake up the gold : plat ratio.

wurtil
07-17-2015, 02:03 AM
What I'm hearing is that Arena gold is already preeminent.

Tarquin
07-17-2015, 02:34 AM
Something Smite do fairly regularly is free gem weekends. You win gems [the in game currency] for winning matches [generally between 200 - 700 if i remember] which is like a new skin or voicepack or what have you. This would be fairly decent for HEX I feel - Complete an arena run once per day over a given time-frame, get 5000 bonus gold. It would also help to shake up the gold:plat ratio.

no daily quest shittery please, its awful; you're forced to play every day or you'll miss out on gold

Steelio
07-17-2015, 03:07 AM
It's a suggestion, doesn't have to be daily.

no daily quest shittery please, its awful; you're forced to play every day or you'll miss out on gold

Mahes
07-17-2015, 04:47 AM
Yes, please make the gold I am getting in Arena permanent.

Send it too:

Mahes
140 Bakers lane
Booyah CA 60789

Thank you.

malloc31
07-17-2015, 05:34 AM

Just to be devils advocate.

Right now if you don't play every day you miss out on gold. (if you dont play you dont arena, you dont win any gold) What is the difference?

malloc31
07-17-2015, 05:37 AM
personally I feel they need to either lower the prices to spin chests, or increase the amount won in arena. You can say this may be fixed with more PVE, but that is only true if the other PVE lets you win more gold per hour then arena does, if that is true you might as well make arena equally rewarding now.

Sparrow
07-17-2015, 05:56 AM
personally I feel they need to either lower the prices to spin chests, or increase the amount won in arena. You can say this may be fixed with more PVE, but that is only true if the other PVE lets you win more gold per hour then arena does, if that is true you might as well make arena equally rewarding now.
Lowering chest spin cost is a good alternative to keeping the gold bonus.

But... ugh, just thought of this... if they lowered chest spin cost there would be all kinds of whining that it's not fair from people that already spun them.

plaguedealer
07-17-2015, 06:08 AM
I am against this isea, it lowers the value of gold. It alsk lowers the value of the contents of chests.

Svenn
07-17-2015, 06:12 AM
Just to be devils advocate.

Right now if you don't play every day you miss out on gold. (if you dont play you dont arena, you dont win any gold) What is the difference?

The difference is that you are rewarding people with specific playtimes/availability. If I can play 3 days a week for 30 hours total and you can play 7 days a week for 7 hours total... why should you be more rewarded for your time than I am just because your time is more spread out? If I don't play arena today, I can play the same amount of hours tomorrow and not have missed any rewards. With a daily system if I don't play every single day I can't make it up... I just miss out on things.

Dailies have been discussed quite a bit already. Cory said he didn't like them (I agree, can't stand em, it's a trick of a cheap f2p and pushes me away from a game). We're not likely to see anything like that.

Back on the original topic... increasing the amount of gold dropped permanently would just mean the value of gold would decrease and you'd be earning about the same amount for your time anyway.

malloc31
07-17-2015, 06:12 AM
I am against this isea, it lowers the value of gold. It alsk lowers the value of the contents of chests.

The problem with gold being as valuable as it is now is twofold:

A) you are punishing people who spend money on the game and actually buying things.

B) the game becomes too much of a grind and is boring

Svenn
07-17-2015, 06:14 AM
The problem with gold being as valuable as it is now is twofold:

A) you are punishing people who spend money on the game and actually buying things.

B) the game becomes too much of a grind and is boring
I don't get either of these points.

A) How are you punishing the people who spend money? They are the ones setting the gold prices. If they didn't feel it was worth the price they wouldn't be paying for it.

B) How does this work? More gold value means less grinding to get what you want. Less gold value means more of a grind to get anything.

malloc31
07-17-2015, 06:14 AM
The difference is that you are rewarding people with specific playtimes/availability. If I can play 3 days a week for 30 hours total and you can play 7 days a week for 7 hours total... why should you be more rewarded for your time than I am just because your time is more spread out? If I don't play arena today, I can play the same amount of hours tomorrow and not have missed any rewards. With a daily system if I don't play every single day I can't make it up... I just miss out on things.

Dailies have been discussed quite a bit already. Cory said he didn't like them (I agree, can't stand em, it's a trick of a cheap f2p and pushes me away from a game). We're not likely to see anything like that.

Back on the original topic... increasing the amount of gold dropped permanently would just mean the value of gold would decrease and you'd be earning about the same amount for your time anyway.

What if it was a quest you could complete 7 times a week? or 31 times a month? or 365 a year? why would they have to reset daily?

Svenn
07-17-2015, 06:16 AM
What if it was a quest you could complete 7 times a week? or 31 times a month? or 365 a year? why would they have to reset daily?

You run into the same issue. I get bogged down at work one week and can't play at all, but the next week I'm off and can play 80 hours that week. Somehow my time is less valuable because I missed a week. The whole point of dailies is to get people logging in every day (or close to it), but I want to play on my own time when I want... not when the game tells me I should be playing for the optimal bonuses.

If you stretch it out too much then it's not so much a daily bonus as it is a slow drip of free money over time to everyone, defeating the purpose of the system in the first place. Then you just devalue gold because there's more to get and it's not really a bonus at all.

poizonous
07-17-2015, 06:19 AM
One thing people don't realize... if gold is produced permanently at this rate then the plat: gold ratio also changes. You would go from roughly 75 plat an hour to maybe 50 plat an hour

malloc31
07-17-2015, 06:30 AM
I don't get either of these points.

A) How are you punishing the people who spend money? They are the ones setting the gold prices. If they didn't feel it was worth the price they wouldn't be paying for it.

B) How does this work? More gold value means less grinding to get what you want. Less gold value means more of a grind to get anything.

A) people who buy packs and get chests and want to spin them (who are putting money directly into cryptos pockets) now have to either spend more time (grinding gold) or money (buying gold) to spin the chests.

B) for people who want to open there chests but dont want to spend more money they need to spend more time grinding becouse the amount it costs to open chests is independent to the value of gold atm (and it makes less sense to pay some one to grind for you if gold is expensive). This gets boring.

I have no problem with gold being worth a lot, I have a problem with chest spining costing so relatively high. (they could keep things like AA's and dust for extended art as gold sinks to keep the value of gold relatively (not the right word should have said "about") the same, I just think the relative value of spinning chests should be lowered)

Sparrow
07-17-2015, 06:32 AM
One thing people don't realize... if gold is produced permanently at this rate then the plat: gold ratio also changes. You would go from roughly 75 plat an hour to maybe 50 plat an hour
True. I was looking at it purely from the perspective of chest rolling. Sometimes, it takes 5 Arena runs to earn enough to roll a legendary chest which really seems excessive (that's without the bonus). Almost every run I do is perfect, so I can't imagine what it's like for people that haven't figured out Arena yet.

Things will be clearer once we can open chests. It may be that 5 runs will seem too low to open a legendary chest, depending what they hold.

Incindium
07-17-2015, 06:53 AM
Plat to gold ratio hasn't moved with the 50% bump... I think they should keep it in as with Extended Art they are adding a even bigger gold sink than the one they are removing.

Thand
07-17-2015, 06:58 AM
Personally I think it's way too early to speculate on adjusting either the output of the arena or the price of chest spinning. More PvE "faucet" content is the next major feature after set 3, and we don't even know of the true market value of chest spinning yet.

plaguedealer
07-17-2015, 07:16 AM
True. I was looking at it purely from the perspective of chest rolling. Sometimes, it takes 5 Arena runs to earn enough to roll a legendary chest which really seems excessive (that's without the bonus). Almost every run I do is perfect, so I can't imagine what it's like for people that haven't figured out Arena yet.

Things will be clearer once we can open chests. It may be that 5 runs will seem too low to open a legendary chest, depending what they hold.

If you agree, then why make a post now. Isnt it better to wait until after chests are opened and the dust settles to see if the arena gold runs need to be adjusted?

Vorpal
07-17-2015, 07:21 AM
The amount of gold you get from arena is tied to plat to gold prices. More gold from arena means gold is less valuable. Absent stuff like chest rolling, doubling the gold in the arena does not double the buying power of an arena run.

So basically all it would do is make it 'easier' to roll chests. I don't know if that is a good thing or even something Hex wants. And of course, if they increase the amount of gold now, they are basically penalizing people who ran and rolled their gold earlier when it was harder.

EdwardBishop
07-17-2015, 07:24 AM
Plat to gold ratio hasn't moved with the 50% bump... I think they should keep it in as with Extended Art they are adding a even bigger gold sink than the one they are removing.

True enough, most Hex players I know (backers that have paid Cryptozoic a fair deal of money already) are now simply getting more of their chest backlog spun... not converting it to a store of platinum.

Thus, I'm in favor of either A.) permanent bonus to gold earned, or B.) lowered cost of spinning chests, AND, I agree with those who have said that A would be more fair to people who have already spun chests for X amount of gold, although the counterargument would be that the amount they paid to spin their chests was their own choice to make and so if they did so, and then they are made more affordable to spin, then it is 'on them', and thus not 'unfair' (market forces are at play here after all, Hex isn't a welfare state).

Svenn
07-17-2015, 07:27 AM
True enough, most Hex players I know (backers that have paid Cryptozoic a fair deal of money already) are now simply getting more of their chest backlog spun... not converting it to a store of platinum.

Thus, I'm in favor of either A.) permanent bonus to gold earned, or B.) lowered cost of spinning chests, AND, I agree with those who have said that A would be more fair to people who have already spun chests for X amount of gold, although the counterargument would be that the amount they paid to spin their chests was their own choice to make and so if they did so, and then they are made more affordable to spin, then it is 'on them', and thus not 'unfair' (market forces are at play here after all, Hex isn't a welfare state).

The problem is that making it easier to spin chests then gives paying plays less incentive to pay for gold giving the free players a much harder time actually making money... which means likely less players. That's an important part of the business model and tilting it so that it's too easy for paying players to get gold on their own is bad for the health of the game (this is why gold was removed from tournaments/proving grounds when Arena went in).

Tazelbain
07-17-2015, 07:29 AM
Having the ratio hover around 100g-80g to 1 feels pretty good to me. Without having access to the data, I don't think anyone here can give an accurate assessment about this.

striderz
07-17-2015, 07:45 AM
We, need gold put back in for doing tournaments.

I'm Still working on getting AA cards from the store. I've got a big backlog of chests that need spinning form doing drafts.

Svenn
07-17-2015, 07:49 AM
We, need gold put back in for doing tournaments.

I'm Still working on getting AA cards from the store. I've got a big backlog of chests that need spinning form doing drafts.

I JUST explained why this was removed and why it's a good thing...

TJTaylor
07-17-2015, 08:03 AM
Having the ratio hover around 100g-80g to 1 feels pretty good to me. Without having access to the data, I don't think anyone here can give an accurate assessment about this.

It should be closer to 250g to 1p, at the least. Gold value is far too high, period. It shouldn't cost someone 3 to 4 dollars for every spin on a legendary chest. That's just stupid and unsustainable. Even the big spenders have a limit as to what they will put up with.

With gold value so high, it is actually more efficient and profitable to just grind the arena oneself for gold than to purchase from or interact in any way with the market. It is also faster than trying to sell cards for gold as anyone who has posted over 3000 commons in a 24 hour period on the AH can attest. This is entirely the opposite result of what gold is meant to achieve. If nobody is buying gold from the f2pers because there are better/cheaper ways to get it, what is the point of it?

Vorpal
07-17-2015, 08:13 AM
If nobody is buying gold from the f2pers because there are better/cheaper ways to get it, what is the point of it?

So...your solution is to make gold even cheaper and easier to get?

wolzarg
07-17-2015, 08:20 AM
But the gold value is set by the people paying for it. How is this so friking hard to grasp? If none payed 100:1 the price would be 120:1 if none payed 120:1 the price would be 150:1 and so on until it sells....

Don't get me wrong at sub 150:1 i am selling gold or hoarding instead of buying but the fact stands that someone is paying the current price or it would drop.

malloc31
07-17-2015, 08:22 AM
The problem is that making it easier to spin chests then gives paying plays less incentive to pay for gold giving the free players a much harder time actually making money... which means likely less players. That's an important part of the business model and tilting it so that it's too easy for paying players to get gold on their own is bad for the health of the game (this is why gold was removed from tournaments/proving grounds when Arena went in).

As I said in my post they can adjust through selling AAs and dust for extended art, to compensate for lowering the cost of spinning chests so that the value of gold does not change (while lowering the cost of spinning chests).

And you are ignoring they are adding another major gold sink in extended art, with out adding any new faucet, this will make it even worse.

cursedvit
07-17-2015, 08:26 AM
If nobody is buying gold from the f2pers because there are better/cheaper ways to get it, what is the point of it?
There is only one way to get gold, it comes from PVE. If dont want to grind it u can buy it from someone who plays PVE (directly or via AH) and save your time.

Tazelbain
07-17-2015, 08:32 AM
It should be closer to 250g to 1p, at the least. Gold value is far too high, period. It shouldn't cost someone 3 to 4 dollars for every spin on a legendary chest. That's just stupid and unsustainable. Even the big spenders have a limit as to what they will put up with.The cost of spinning legendaries will be factored to value of contents of primals. Increase gold drop or decrease the cost of spinning just devalues the primal contents. Supply and demand.

With gold value so high, it is actually more efficient and profitable to just grind the arena oneself for gold than to purchase from or interact in any way with the market. It is also faster than trying to sell cards for gold as anyone who has posted over 3000 commons in a 24 hour period on the AH can attest. This is entirely the opposite result of what gold is meant to achieve. If nobody is buying gold from the f2pers because there are better/cheaper ways to get it, what is the point of it?But this can't happen. If people stop buying gold, than gold the price gold will drop to a price that people will pay. Again supply and demand.

TJTaylor
07-17-2015, 08:41 AM
So...your solution is to make gold even cheaper and easier to get?

I don't know what the answer to the problem is honestly. I was just making a side comment of why a 100g to 1p ratio is NOT a good rate.

TJTaylor
07-17-2015, 08:42 AM
But the gold value is set by the people paying for it. How is this so friking hard to grasp? If none payed 100:1 the price would be 120:1 if none payed 120:1 the price would be 150:1 and so on until it sells....

Don't get me wrong at sub 150:1 i am selling gold or hoarding instead of buying but the fact stands that someone is paying the current price or it would drop.

I'd like to know who because everyone I talk to says they just grind arena.

Thand
07-17-2015, 08:52 AM
People who don't have absurd amounts of free time or patience for grinding. It takes far less time to set up an automated auction for a handful of cards than to play a full arena run. I will grant that, at the moment, listing cards for sale on the auction house isn't as easy or efficient as it should be, but it's still less time consuming than arena.

bwarner
07-17-2015, 08:56 AM
Nobody needs to buy gold directly in order for F2P players to be able to turn gold into platinum. There are all sorts of commodities that can be used to translate from one to the other (packs, primal packs, AA cards, high demand cards, etc). The fact that gold is valued highly right now cannot possibly be bad for people whose primary source of income is in gold.

nicosharp
07-17-2015, 09:17 AM

This^
If you want gold to be worth less plat, the other players in the economy should have less of a need for it. Also, at somepoint, the farming community, and buying community clash depending on supply and demand until prices drop to assure the farming community still makes some plat.

We are nearing $2+ per hour right now for those farming gold, and converting it to plat. That is crazy high for a game that essentially has a player ran economy that condones third party trade. Time is technically real money in HEX.

wolzarg
07-17-2015, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't know but unless prices fall steadily over the next few days clearly enough people.

I can admit that i support the market by selling uncommons i could sell for play for gold instead at or around the current rate but those are cards i would sell regardless at a similar rate or not bother selling at all. The only reason those cards do sell is because people get a decent price for them through gold i assume.

EntropyBall
07-17-2015, 09:30 AM
It is also faster than trying to sell cards for gold as anyone who has posted over 3000 commons in a 24 hour period on the AH can attest. This is entirely the opposite result of what gold is meant to achieve. If nobody is buying gold from the f2pers because there are better/cheaper ways to get it, what is the point of it?

I don't think this is true. I've made FAR more money selling C/UCs on the AH than by running arena.

I agree with you that the gold value presently seems insane given what it means for chest rolling, but it just shows you how valuable people perceive the contents/spin bonuses of chests to be. If they didn't think they held that sort of value, they wouldn't be selling their stuff for gold.

F2Pers also don't need to sell their gold, they just use it to buy cards from people like me.

As for the OP, I could live with the arena giving out gold at the current or past rate, but keep in mind that gold will not be as valuable once we have real PVE (because the supply will spike). The game currently has a large population of very invested players who received plat/cards at a discount from the KS. They have no gold though, and the arena doesn't have great replay value, so it all adds up to lots of people who don't want to play PVE to get gold, but have lots of chests they want to spin.

Yoss
07-17-2015, 09:43 AM
A) people who buy packs and get chests and want to spin them (who are putting money directly into cryptos pockets) now have to either spend more time (grinding gold) or money (buying gold) to spin the chests.
Key word: “want” to spin not “need” to spin. All gold sinks are purely optional and have no effect on the ability to play the premium (PvP) content. If a particular player finds spinning too expensive, that player is welcome to sell the spins/chests to someone else (a rational choice) or even just open the chest without spinning (less rational from a value standpoint, but still valid).

B) for people who want to open there chests but dont want to spend more money they need to spend more time grinding becouse the amount it costs to open chests is independent to the value of gold atm (and it makes less sense to pay some one to grind for you if gold is expensive). This gets boring.
Opening a chest costs zero resources. What are you talking about?

I have no problem with gold being worth a lot, I have a problem with chest spining costing so relatively high. (they could keep things like AA's and dust for extended art as gold sinks to keep the value of gold relatively (not the right word should have said "about") the same, I just think the relative value of spinning chests should be lowered)
For every player like you there could easily be one that likes the prices and drop rates how they are now. I’m happy with status quo, for example.

The amount of gold you get from arena is tied to plat to gold prices. More gold from arena means gold is less valuable. Absent stuff like chest rolling, doubling the gold in the arena does not double the buying power of an arena run.
This.

So basically all it would do is make it 'easier' to roll chests. I don't know if that is a good thing or even something Hex wants. And of course, if they increase the amount of gold now, they are basically penalizing people who ran and rolled their gold earlier when it was harder.
Weaker gold sinks doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. At any given moment, there should always be enough gold sink capacity (which right now is: sum of all unused chest rolls and sum of the cost to EA all remaining non-EA cards) to cover every single gold coin in the economy. No gold coin should ever be worthless. In other words, if all the gold coins are kids and all the gold sinks are chairs and the coins played musical chairs and the music suddenly stopped, there should never be a shortage of chairs for the coins to sit in; no coin should be left standing.

It’s funny, if you go back to 2013, these forums were scared that gold wouldn’t be valuable enough, that HXE wouldn’t come up with good enough gold sinks. I think they’ve shown they know what to do and we should stop badgering them on this particular topic.

Sparrow
07-17-2015, 09:55 AM
If you agree, then why make a post now. Isnt it better to wait until after chests are opened and the dust settles to see if the arena gold runs need to be adjusted?
Because I hadn't thought about that when I started the thread. Unlike most on the forums, I'm open to my opinion evolving or even going 180 degrees opposite over the course of a discussion. I'm not infallible. :)

Besides, I thought this was a discussion worth having. There are a very wide range of opinions and having people defend their positions (or fail to defend) only clarifies matters.

malloc31
07-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Key word: “want” to spin not “need” to spin. All gold sinks are purely optional and have no effect on the ability to play the premium (PvP) content. If a particular player finds spinning too expensive, that player is welcome to sell the spins/chests to someone else (a rational choice) or even just open the chest without spinning (less rational from a value standpoint, but still valid).

Opening a chest costs zero resources. What are you talking about?

For every player like you there could easily be one that likes the prices and drop rates how they are now. I’m happy with status quo, for example.

This.

Weaker gold sinks doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. At any given moment, there should always be enough gold sink capacity (which right now is: sum of all unused chest rolls and sum of the cost to EA all remaining non-EA cards) to cover every single gold coin in the economy. No gold coin should ever be worthless. In other words, if all the gold coins are kids and all the gold sinks are chairs and the coins played musical chairs and the music suddenly stopped, there should never be a shortage of chairs for the coins to sit in; no coin should be left standing.

It’s funny, if you go back to 2013, these forums were scared that gold wouldn’t be valuable enough, that HXE wouldn’t come up with good enough gold sinks. I think they’ve shown they know what to do and we should stop badgering them on this particular topic.

Even though you can say it is want instead of need, you know for people bothering to buy packs (either through kickstarter or the store) will feel let down if not able to spin there chests. The spinning of chests was added as a "bonus", it shouldn't be adding grind or grief if that is the intention.

I stated opening chests because I assume 99% of people will want to spin chests before opening, I think you can agree on that.

"For every player like you there could easily be one that likes the prices and drop rates how they are now. I’m happy with status quo, for example."

This true about any opinion should we just stop posting to forums??

And as for weaker gold sinks, as I stated before with the addition of extended art we are not talking about weaker gold sinks but much larger gold sinks with no more faucets, if nothing is done.

Yoss
07-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Even though you can say it is want instead of need, you know for people bothering to buy packs (either through kickstarter or the store) will feel let down if not able to spin there chests. The spinning of chests was added as a "bonus", it shouldn't be adding grind or grief if that is the intention.

I stated opening chests because I assume 99% of people will want to spin chests before opening, I think you can agree on that.
Yes, so trade the virgin chest for one that's ready to open, plus a small profit for you (maybe in gold if that's what you're after). No problem.

"For every player like you there could easily be one that likes the prices and drop rates how they are now. I’m happy with status quo, for example."

This true about any opinion should we just stop posting to forums??
Fair enough. :)

And as for weaker gold sinks, as I stated before with the addition of extended art we are not talking about weaker gold sinks but much larger gold sinks with no more faucets, if nothing is done.

Agreed, though it is something that has to be continuously watched by HXE to keep balance in favor of sinks. In the short term I agree with you, however, once they lower prices, they can't easily raise them again in the future due to public outcry. Best to take a "wait and see" approach right now.

Sparrow
07-17-2015, 10:12 AM
I was thinking today that maybe the first chest spin should be free on every chest. If they did that, however, they'd have to start that policy with a future set and keep all older sets as they are now.

nicosharp
07-17-2015, 10:14 AM
I was thinking today that maybe the first chest spin should be free on every chest. If they did that, however, they'd have to start that policy with a future set and keep all older sets as they are now.

Yeah... Not gonna happen.

EdwardBishop
07-19-2015, 10:54 PM

You're focusing on the "demand" side of the curve, don't forget that there is a "supply" side as well, and that's what we're trying to address here.

symbios
07-20-2015, 03:12 AM
In my opinion, make arena gold increase permanent until we have another source of gold! Grinding non-stop arena for gold is making me puke. If not for the increased gold, I probably would have quit farming.

RamzaBehoulve
07-20-2015, 03:41 AM
Giving out more gold will just make it lose value. If you earn more, then people will ask for more on AH.

darkwonders
07-20-2015, 06:15 AM
Gold is going to be even easier to spend once the multi-list function gets added to the AH tomorrow.

A lot of us don't bother putting cheap cards on the AH cause it wastes too much time listing singles 1 at a time. Now we can dump 20+ into the market, drastically decreasing all cheap commons/uncommons.

This will be great for the market because that allows F2P players to get cheap cards easier, meaning they'll likely be spending more gold, meaning we get to line our pockets with more gold. That in turn means they can slowly better their decks for arena/rock tournaments. and the cycle continues.

It's a win-win-win situation!

plaguedealer
07-20-2015, 06:31 AM
Gold is going to be even easier to spend once the multi-list function gets added to the AH tomorrow.

A lot of us don't bother putting cheap cards on the AH cause it wastes too much time listing singles 1 at a time. Now we can dump 20+ into the market, drastically decreasing all cheap commons/uncommons.

This will be great for the market because that allows F2P players to get cheap cards easier, meaning they'll likely be spending more gold, meaning we get to line our pockets with more gold. That in turn means they can slowly better their decks for arena/rock tournaments. and the cycle continues.

I agree 100% and I am not sure why I never thought about this. Being able to sell bulk commons and uncommons will definitely be a gold faucet. I really hope they don't keep arena bonus permanent.

Sparrow
07-20-2015, 06:49 AM
oh, bleh, fine. Hex, please give me less of everything! :)

plaguedealer
07-20-2015, 06:52 AM
It really is not less of everything. The main argument I have seen is that more gold helps people roll more chests. This mainly does not affect the f2p player. It only affects people like me who have a ungodly amount of chests to roll.

Keeping the arena bonus hurts the f2p player because they have to grind more and it hurts the value of the contents of the chests.

Sparrow
07-20-2015, 06:59 AM
Once we can get all our commons easily listed that will help. I've never bothered listing a common so I've got plenty to get rid of.

TJTaylor
07-20-2015, 07:00 AM

Yes it will be oh so awesome to watch prices drive even further into crazy town as people with hundreds of each card dump them all on the ah for less and less and less. Good luck waiting for that idiot to sell out who posted every common at a fourth of its value. He posted 300 of each of them.

I'm sure you'd love to just buy him out but since you need your gold for those ridiculously expensive chest spins and extended art items you'll just have to wait until he gets bored and stops posting his cards before you can sell yours for what they are actually worth. No actually, strike that. By the time you are able to start selling again, the population at large will insist that those prices are now the correct exchange rate even though its insane and you could just grind PvE faster than the time it would take you to post the same value in cards and actually sell them. But no worries, someone's selling at those prices so it must be right and everything is fine cause, you know, that's how a market works.

I agree 100% and I am not sure why I never thought about this. Being able to sell bulk commons and uncommons will definitely be a gold faucet. I really hope they don't keep arena bonus permanent.

That's not a gold faucet. A gold faucet creates gold out of thin air like Arena does.

darkwonders
07-20-2015, 07:04 AM
Considering I've given away hundreds of my commons... I'm not worried about a price floor in gold for them... It'd be nice to get something for all the commons I'm sitting on.

plaguedealer
07-20-2015, 07:05 AM
Is there a definition of a gold faucet? Commons and uncommons are going to be cheap in the ah. However, they will go for something and alot of people are sitting on tons.

But the main thing is that the arena bonus is something that hurts f2p people in the long term. It also hurts the value of contents on the chests.

Spiredore
07-20-2015, 07:46 AM
Is there a definition of a gold faucet?

Faucets, in the way the term is being used here, are points where resources are coming into the system, usually not 'out of thin air' but in exchange for some out-of-game resource. In the case of the Frost Ring players spend time and are rewarded in gold. Because the time isn't accounted for in the game's economy, the whole thing has now expanded somewhat.

The same isn't true of selling anything (be it commons or packs) in the auction house. Both the currency and the commodity both exist in economy, both before and after the transaction. Although the positions of individual players in the economy has changed, the sum total of currency and goods in the system doesn't change.

Tazelbain
07-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Yes, faucets add to the pool. Sinks remove. Trading between players has a small sink if they pay the 5% fee.

Yes, common and uncommon are going to drop like a rock. But I think it will they slowly raise back as purgers are finish ditching extras. As a non-purger I will be happy to take a break while and wait for prices to return. But they, on average, will never be like they are today and that's a good thing.

Vorpal
07-20-2015, 08:56 AM
I don't know what the answer to the problem is honestly. I was just making a side comment of why a 100g to 1p ratio is NOT a good rate.

The exact rate is irrelevant. 100g to 1 plat is fine.

The real question is how much arena grinding it takes for a player to buy a pack. Last I checked it was around 3-4 runs, which is 3-4 hours.

That seems completely fine to me. (You can earn a pack much quicker in HS, for example, especially if you stack quests)

Remember the system is self correcting, and I imagine it will always correct to about that amount.

In my opinion, make arena gold increase permanent until we have another source of gold! Grinding non-stop arena for gold is making me puke. If not for the increased gold, I probably would have quit farming.

As I have said before, this doesn't actually do anything.

If gold is twice as available it will be half as valuable. As the supply of gold increases, the demand for it will decrease. The price will be self correcting. Doubling the gold you get in arena does not actually mean you have to grind arena half as much.

Yoss
07-20-2015, 11:14 AM
The exact rate is irrelevant. 100g to 1 plat is fine.

The real question is how much arena grinding it takes for a player to buy a pack. Last I checked it was around 3-4 runs, which is 3-4 hours.

That seems completely fine to me. (You can earn a pack much quicker in HS, for example, especially if you stack quests)

Remember the system is self correcting, and I imagine it will always correct to about that amount.

As I have said before, this doesn't actually do anything.

If gold is twice as available it will be half as valuable. As the supply of gold increases, the demand for it will decrease. The price will be self correcting. Doubling the gold you get in arena does not actually mean you have to grind arena half as much.

I agree with you to a fair extent. However, I think you're missing something. Take what you said to the limit where gold pours forth in massive quantity. There is a limit to how much gold the system can absorb before it becomes worthless. Once every chest is rolled and every card is EA, every remaining gold coin is completely worthless. HXE must maintain a state where the sum of available sinks (all remaining chest spins and EA upgrades, plus any other sinks added) exceeds the aggregate gold in the economy. If they do that, then I pretty much agree with what you said above.