PDA

View Full Version : HEX and SSD?

bleeding_warrior
07-18-2015, 02:05 AM
Hi guys,

Just wanted to check have any of you installed HEX on SSD? I've read different comments saying that of course you want to install any program/game on the SSD but at the same time you should try to keep the writes on the SSD at minimum. I know during patches HEX writes quite a bit of data to the drive. Do you know how large the patches are? Does it reinstall the whole data during the patch? Also what's the total size of the game?
Thanks!

frexerik
07-18-2015, 03:01 AM
I have hex installed on my ssd, its about 1 gb.
Why would you not just install it? SSDs are much more reliable than normal hard disks, so unless your installing some wierd hard disk killing program you will be totally fine no matter what you do with it! just install EVERYTHING on your SSD :D

ManofPeace
07-18-2015, 03:14 AM
Hi guys,

Just wanted to check have any of you installed HEX on SSD? I've read different comments saying that of course you want to install any program/game on the SSD but at the same time you should try to keep the writes on the SSD at minimum.
This isn't referring to your average user (meaning OS+other programs). This is one of those topics that included in articles just to write about. The users of concern here here at the enterprise level or heavy video/image editors who put their files on the SSD.

I know during patches HEX writes quite a bit of data to the drive.
We get a major patch like every 6 months and I'm not sure how you're defining "quite a bit of data" here.

Do you know how large the patches are? Does it reinstall the whole data during the patch? Also what's the total size of the game?
Thanks!
Game is about 1GB according to my installation folder. You don't re-download the entire game every patch (except in special cases. they released a new client awhile back.)

Ariathor
07-18-2015, 03:23 AM
Hi guys,

Just wanted to check have any of you installed HEX on SSD? I've read different comments saying that of course you want to install any program/game on the SSD but at the same time you should try to keep the writes on the SSD at minimum. I know during patches HEX writes quite a bit of data to the drive. Do you know how large the patches are? Does it reinstall the whole data during the patch? Also what's the total size of the game?
Thanks!

This is a myth from back when SSDs where more unreliable (and even then it was unlikely to affect an average user). It's mostly meant as a warning to avoid defragging an SSD, but besides that it has no practical meaning unless you're running a data center or something like that. Most SSDs nowadays can handle hundreds of Terabytes (http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead).

bleeding_warrior
07-18-2015, 03:29 AM
Super! Many thanks for your replies, it's clear now! I am sure installing on the SSD will have the game run much smoother, was just unsure about the write stuff but its ok now. Thanks again!

wolzarg
07-18-2015, 03:34 AM
Or you can run a cache drive and have it speed up without using the SSD. Don't ask me about how that works because I'm an advanced casual at best but my friend set it up for me and it made my loading 3x as fast.