PDA

View Full Version : What visual effects should look like

Cyberyn
07-18-2015, 06:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpACgJdk_v8

Varied, detailed, thematic, engaging...

None of this exists in HEX, none!

There is a single visual effect for everything!

If that's not clueless I don't know what is.

Khazrakh
07-18-2015, 06:33 AM
Yea because all that matters are the visual effects right?
Who cares if the game itself sucks?

Cyberyn
07-18-2015, 06:42 AM
Wow, I just installed Nightbanes and the visual effects are far more impressive and immersive than I thought, there is this card Terror Bear that actually puts chains on your card as stun, and it's super detailed!

Neat particle effects and myst everwhere...this game has been out for a year, how do hell do you not see that and implement it into your own game?

I would much rather play Dwarves with their gadgets than vampires, but your game is completely barebones regarding visuals, effects and animations.

Please focus on this.

superdax
07-18-2015, 06:59 AM
I do agree that visually Hex did not integrate nothing in the aspect of animations of cards. I know that the game is balanced, i can draft, sealed, play in future tournaments like Gautlet and play in Set 3. There is more to just visuals, like PVE campaign, All the equipement do design and implement, Chess, AA, Extended arts.

To each their own. But a little bit of visual would be better than those funny sound the cards make when they come into play: ) (Spellweaver is another card game that intergrates come visuals into their cards. Not all but its nice to see when you play an equivalent of extinction the hole board explodes :) )

superdax
07-18-2015, 07:01 AM
Here is a comment of a user

'While the art and effects are certainly cool, the lack of gameplay depth and penalty for not ‘buying in’ to the game are huge turn-offs.'

Thrawn
07-18-2015, 07:26 AM
I don't get the obsession with visual effects. They would quickly get annoying and you'd be searching for a way to turn them off when they just start making all of your games take much longer. I have trouble thinking of things that should be a lower priority in development.

eimerian
07-18-2015, 07:38 AM
The sparks and glowy things in this trailer are like a dictionary definition of style over substance.
The game looks like a facebook game and according to Steam comments it's pay2win and random.

Hex will get more polished in time, but that's not important.
Who cares about gimmicky graphics in a TCG?
I don't even like the ice-covered battlefield in the arena to be honest.

ossuary
07-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Golden rule of good programming: first make it work, THEN make it pretty.

Polish over substance is a losing endeavor. I'll stick with the quality game, thanks. It'll still be amazing long after watching repetitive flashing lights has gotten old. And meanwhile, Hex will keep getting better looking all the time as CZE continues to work on it. :)

Mr.Funsocks
07-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Please don't focus on flashing lights... yet...

Altima
07-18-2015, 08:09 AM
I do not think it is hard to implement those effects. I think they will add those things in the future.

Kilo24
07-18-2015, 08:19 AM
We have evidence that they're adding on cosmetic effects gradually (from the test server, there has been audio added to specific cards like the Buccaneer and they've thrown in some additional graphical effects to chests), so I do think it's likely they're planning to trickle in more over time. It's a fair bet that it'll be considerably prettier as time goes on.

But I'll second ossuary here: focusing on style over substance does not make for a good game. Especially not when major parts of the game still have yet to be implemented at all.

fabriazp
07-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Any of you remember the arena feature video? I do really hope, they allow centain cards (like rares, legendaries and staples UC/C) being like the video after unlock them by double back. Image cards with effects.

Look that eurig, that dreamer with the voidtouched moving behind, look that wild root dancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31HL32M_bJk

BossHoss
07-18-2015, 08:23 AM
We still don't have "foil" cards in the game and that could be any any range of ideas not like traditional foil cards. That could be the subtle animation effect...

Cyberyn
07-18-2015, 08:25 AM
I don't get the obsession with visual effects. They would quickly get annoying and you'd be searching for a way to turn them off

This is utter nonsense, people stop playing because there are no visuals, not the opposite. I can't believe how deluded you are.

BossHoss
07-18-2015, 08:30 AM
This is utter nonsense, people stop playing because there are no visuals, not the opposite. I can't believe how deluded you are.

I have a fancy computer tower you might be interested in... It's full of blinking Christmas lights but does not have a cpu, motherboard, video card, psu, etc. you sound like a prime candidate to pay good money for it. You interested?

Axle
07-18-2015, 08:31 AM

Yeah but HEX has the most advanced card abilities of any card game right now. I'd rather that then flashing lights. That can come later.

Khazrakh
07-18-2015, 08:32 AM

That's why Nightbanes has an unbelievable peak of 80 players online at the same time right?

Axle
07-18-2015, 08:41 AM
That's why Nightbanes has an unbelievable peak of 80 players online at the same time right?

62 now. Average is 48 for the last 30 days too.

http://steamcharts.com/app/338340

Visual effects are important...but not what we need right now.

superdax
07-18-2015, 08:59 AM

Would love to have that info on HEX :)

Crimguy
07-18-2015, 09:03 AM

Agreed. Stable/quick client, and add the effects as gravy. I do admit they add something to the game.

regomar
07-18-2015, 09:11 AM

Too much nonsense. I actually prefer a simpler, cleaner interface like Hex's, which I already find more than flashy enough. None of that stuff is necessary. Maybe if 'Nightbanes' took the money they spent on gloss and used it to fund an actually fun card game, I'd be playing it still. It's a boring game that looks good just like thousands of other games that are all flash and no substance.

Superjuice
07-18-2015, 09:15 AM

I can't remember any of my physical cards raining fire on the table and I still enjoyed that. I guess attention spans aren't what they used to be. Looks like nightbanes is racking up stellar reviews, you should definitely go play that.

/s

Axle
07-18-2015, 09:25 AM
Would love to have that info on HEX :)

Over 400 when everyone is burned out and waiting for the new set. Count people in tournaments + people playing in proving grounds (Vs AI counts as frost arena battles too). Then quite a bit would be AFK.

nicetodd
07-18-2015, 09:32 AM
I'd rather have the KS promises, guilds, pve first before more shiny baubles.

Cyberyn
07-18-2015, 09:42 AM
Yeah but HEX has the most advanced card abilities of any card game right now. I'd rather that then flashing lights. That can come later.

Don't start with that crap again. I've been playing card games for years, yet I couldn't beat the very first starter mission with a Dwarf deck. 4 times in a row.

The game is a compelete mess.

plaguedealer
07-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Don't start with that crap again. I've been playing card games for years, yet I couldn't beat the very first starter mission with a Dwarf deck. 4 times in a row.

If you don't like the game, please go play Nightbanes and enjoy yourself, no reason to post here.

Poetic
07-18-2015, 09:50 AM
I'm a fan of minimalist and clean visuals. That game looks too chaotic for me. Did they copy Sol Forge?

Mr.Funsocks
07-18-2015, 10:07 AM

You're aware that you just made yourself sound foolish right? "I've been playing card games for years, but I'm still worse at them than most people, who have no problem with the tutorial. Also I want shiny objects in my game, it would make it better." You're claiming the game is bad at its core but what they should work on is making it flashy and glitzy instead... While making yourself out to be a really bad card game player...

nicosharp
07-18-2015, 10:19 AM
Oh great, this again.

We need visual effects, because someone that is a cardgame expert can't beat a starter trial.

I think my brain is going to explode.

Fyren
07-18-2015, 10:28 AM
While I do believe this community tends to underestimate the value of a slick-looking and polished interface...

...Just... No, OP. No. This is not how you go about making that case.

nicosharp
07-18-2015, 10:31 AM
While I do believe this community tends to underestimate the value of a slick-looking and polished interface...

...Just... No, OP. No. This is not how you go about making that case.
I think we can all value awesome visuals and a clean and polished game visually.
Hearthstone did a great job as well with their product.
Luckily with good gameplay and good programming, the visual pieces can be tacked on later.

The problem with this thread is the OP. If you look at their post history, they've driven two threads of bile against HEX. Not very constructive, just a monkey flinging feces.

Sparrow
07-18-2015, 10:37 AM
I'm pretty sure you guys are getting trolled. Just ignore this kind of mindless junk.

Thrawn
07-18-2015, 11:22 AM

You've opened my eyes, I see the truth now! How could I have been so wrong?

Cyberyn
07-18-2015, 11:23 AM
If you don't like the game, please go play Nightbanes and enjoy yourself, no reason to post here.

I'm in love with Nightbanes, such an immersive atmosphere, fantastic visuals, deceptively simple mechanics and enjoyable gameplay.

As for its playerbase count, just look at what happened to Scrolls, best card game ever made.

Erukk
07-18-2015, 11:24 AM
Troll feeding times are from 12:00 to 12:30.
Please do not feed them during off hours.
They'll just get fat and whiny.

Have a nice day!

Xzaron
07-18-2015, 11:28 AM
I'm in love with Nightbanes, such an immersive atmosphere, fantastic visuals, deceptively simple mechanics and enjoyable gameplay.

As for its playerbase count, just look at what happened to Scrolls, best card game ever made.

Best card game ever made...right something like that. While it was a good game i think you are overstating it just a tiny, tiny bit.

Sparrow
07-18-2015, 11:41 AM

What happened to Scrolls is due to lack of paying players they've cancelled all future expansions and will only have the servers open for another year before turning the lights out for good. Nightbanes is reportedly having similar problems.

plaguedealer
07-18-2015, 12:13 PM
What happened to Scrolls is due to lack of paying players they've cancelled all future expansions and will only have the servers open for another year before turning the lights out for good. Nightbanes is reportedly having similar problems.

Going off topic from the troll, one major problem I had with scrolls was the time it took to play a game. Also it is not a pure card game but kind of like a chess variant. Magic had a similar game that also was shelved about a year after it was released.

Zophie
07-18-2015, 12:29 PM

How's this for visual effects:

http://i.imgur.com/uyD2U3l.gif

Gwaer
07-18-2015, 12:31 PM

rotflmao.

actually... Now I kind of see his point. Visuals are pretty cool.

funktion
07-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Zophie wins the internet... the whole thing

Fyren
07-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Zophie... that was glorious. XD

hex_colin
07-18-2015, 12:35 PM

/applause

BossHoss
07-18-2015, 12:40 PM

That just may be the best post I have ever seen...

Poetic
07-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Rip...

Cory_Jones
07-18-2015, 01:33 PM

*Zophie drops the microphone*

Mahes
07-18-2015, 01:40 PM

+9000

HAHAHAHA. That has to be in the top 3 for best posts on this forum.

funktion
07-18-2015, 01:41 PM
+9000

It definitely takes the cake for me I think.

nicosharp
07-18-2015, 01:50 PM
+9000

so good

TJTaylor
07-18-2015, 01:59 PM
I don't think visual goodies and quality game play are necessarily mutually exclusive but I'm sure it would have some effect on resources getting diverted to add that extra polish with the size of the team HEX has right now. And for me, the quality of the game is far more important than how pretty it is. Not to say HEX isn't visually appealing because I think it is.

Plus I dread how HEX might chug with the amount of cards on the board that some games can get to with all those bells and whistles going off. I'm sure with time HEX will get more flashy as the years go on but I really don't think now is the time to be focusing on that. HEX is a true TCG player's game in the digital space. We are used to playing physical cards where their isn't any of that stuff. It isn't going to kill the game to not have flashing lights and explosions everywhere.

ossuary
07-18-2015, 02:16 PM
It's not even a matter of diverting resources, necessarily, because there are usually specific people you hire to do visual effects above and beyond the normal art team stuff (though there's often overlap, especially on a small team - Ty would definitely end up working on and overseeing this if Hex devoted more resources to it).

The real problem is duplication of effort. If you take time out to add a bunch of shiny stuff, but then you change a core piece of the game, all that shiny stuff has to be thrown in the trash, and you have to do it all over again. Imagine if they had spent a bunch of time working on fancy visual effects and lens flares and shit with the alpha client, when cards were a different physical size, and had information in completely different places than they are now. All of the work they put into making it fancy would be a complete waste now (2+ rewrites of the UI later). And that's just a tiny example.

I say again: first you make it work, THEN you make it pretty. Or prettier, in our case, because frankly, Hex already looks pretty frickin' amazing. And the stuff that isn't yet, we will get there. I have complete confidence in Ty and the rest of the art guys, and the designers, and the people responsible for any other bells and whistles in the UI. What we have, and what I've seen of what's coming up - there's nothing to fear there. There are still plenty of boners to go around. At least 100kb, maybe even 200!

Diesbudt
07-18-2015, 02:47 PM

Wow...Did you really go through all that work to quiet either a) A bad very opinionated TCG player or b) Troll?

I mean kudos on that but... that would be way more effort than I would do.

Mejis
07-18-2015, 02:50 PM
Oh god it's the guy that couldn't do the tutorial. This thread should probably be closed.

If the OP had written his/her first post with a little more tact and politeness, they may have received a better response. Something like:

"Will hex development ever shift to improving the card interaction visuals? I know this isn't important to everyone, but to me I really like that aspect. I found this cool game on Steam, check out the video, I really like the way cards look when the enter/interact etc. I'd love to see something like this implemented into hex. what do you guys think?"

As for my opinion, flashy visuals can be great, but they need to not get in the way of the core gameplay. If possible they should probably be optionnal.
As Oss rightly said, functionality comes first. HEX is still in development and who knows what's in store down the line.

Zophie
07-18-2015, 03:21 PM
Wow...Did you really go through all that work to quiet either a) A bad very opinionated TCG player or b) Troll?

I mean kudos on that but... that would be way more effort than I would do.

Haha no not too much work, just threw this together over my plate of waffles and bacon this morning, after seeing this post I just couldn't resist :cool:

Mejis
07-18-2015, 03:30 PM
Haha no not too much work, just threw this together over my plate of waffles and bacon this morning, after seeing this post I just couldn't resist :cool:

Epic work Zophie :D

Valnir
07-18-2015, 03:52 PM

Yeah, cool effects, but from the 5 showed troops 3 looked quite dumb..
Especially that brute with the eye on its neck..

Gwaer
07-18-2015, 03:53 PM

I've been thinking of changing my signature for a while, maybe I'll just go with this gif?

Yoss
07-18-2015, 04:08 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the "troll bashing" went a bit too far in this thread? Clearly the OP is not (currently) very good at Hex and is frustrated. Clearly he also prefers lots of eye candy in his games. These are not things to be mad at him about. The only problem is his general demeanor and penchant for hyperbole, but he's hardly bad enough for me to even call him a troll.

nicosharp
07-18-2015, 04:15 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the "troll bashing" went a bit too far in this thread? Clearly the OP is not (currently) very good at Hex and is frustrated. Clearly he also prefers lots of eye candy in his games. These are not things to be mad at him about. The only problem is his general demeanor and penchant for hyperbole, but he's hardly bad enough for me to even call him a troll.
It's not really bad, but you can tell he has no interest in having a conversation. Look at his first thread he started. From post 1 to post whatever he is at now its all been toxic.

infam0usne0
07-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the "troll bashing" went a bit too far in this thread?

Yes

Aradon
07-18-2015, 04:42 PM
I had thought so as well, until I decided he probably actually was a troll, given his references to Scrolls.

Ariathor
07-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Golden rule of good programming: first make it work, THEN make it pretty.

Polish over substance is a losing endeavor. I'll stick with the quality game, thanks. It'll still be amazing long after watching repetitive flashing lights has gotten old. And meanwhile, Hex will keep getting better looking all the time as CZE continues to work on it. :)

I also prefer that course for action, but, to be fair, Hearthstone went with the opposite approach and it didn't work out too poorly for them.

Kilo24
07-18-2015, 05:51 PM
Hearthstone's approach was not opposite. It took the approach of "Take a limited scope, make it work, make it pretty, *then* release it." As with most Blizzard games, they took a long time polishing it prior to public exposure - it's not that they shipped a broken but pretty game. This approach is very expensive in terms of development time (and most companies would use that extra time to put more features into the game instead of polishing it further), but it works for Blizzard very well.

wolzarg
07-18-2015, 06:50 PM
That game looks very shiny and nice. I mean i have barely seen anything of the gameplay and i already find it to be lacking but hey to each his own.

Xexist
07-18-2015, 07:26 PM
I think we can all value awesome visuals and a clean and polished game visually.
Hearthstone did a great job as well with their product.
Luckily with good gameplay and good programming, the visual pieces can be tacked on later.

The problem with this thread is the OP. If you look at their post history, they've driven two threads of bile against HEX. Not very constructive, just a monkey flinging feces.
http://sherman-ave.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/b2882-monkey_poo_for_you_pt1_by_jays_dood.jpg

Xexist
07-18-2015, 07:30 PM
That just may be the best post I have ever seen...

*slow clap*

Amazing.

havocattack
07-18-2015, 09:22 PM
dat gif xD

Ariathor
07-19-2015, 03:13 AM
Hearthstone's approach was not opposite. It took the approach of "Take a limited scope, make it work, make it pretty, *then* release it." As with most Blizzard games, they took a long time polishing it prior to public exposure - it's not that they shipped a broken but pretty game. This approach is very expensive in terms of development time (and most companies would use that extra time to put more features into the game instead of polishing it further), but it works for Blizzard very well.

There were quite a few bugs that persisted for a very long time, both during the open beta and after it (like the minion moving and the warsong commander bugs).

But that's not even my main point, it's the insistence of the Hearthstone team to not introduce functional features (more deckslots, option to auto-squelch, shortcut to edit decks from the play menu etc.) to preserve the current look and feel of the interface. So design obviously outweighs practical concerns and it's worked very well for them.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of that approach, but it shows how important the polish of the game is if you're looking for widespread success.

starwing
07-19-2015, 03:34 AM
If HEX does add more visual effects in the future, I sincerely hope they would also include a feature to turn off the effects. I have MS and sometimes flashy lights can cause lasting vision challenges or even migraine headaches for me.

Aside from the health concerns though, I also think it looks silly. I tried out Magic 2015 last year (I was impatient about waiting for HEX) and that game included blood effects and it was lame. I felt like I was playing a game that was trying to be a different kind of game than a TCG.

IMHO, I think HEX has the perfect balance of pretty shiny things without being childish and laughable.

Sparrow
07-19-2015, 08:11 AM
Looking at his posts in other threads, I see now that the OP is just a very inexperienced TCG'er. It didn't read that way from just the posts in this thread, though. There is a way to comport oneself when a guest in someone else's home and the OP fell well short of that, so I assume that he is very socially inexperienced as well and/or immature.

It would be great if every inexperienced person that rejects Hex could be taken under wing and guided to the light, so to speak (and some of them are), but the attitude that we're the stupid ones for playing this game is a non-starter and someone with that perspective is not really an addition the community needs and/or wants, imo. Yeah, I feel a little bad since in the other thread he started he came off like someone dealing with a honest struggle to appreciate Hex. With this thread, though, he had too much anger and contempt to seriously be bothered with. The ideal would be people that do that are just ignored and the thread falls off the front page. Zophie's solution, though, is a close second to the ideal.

RanaDunes
07-19-2015, 08:38 AM
Visual effects are the least of my concerns though it would be great if visual "AIDS" would improve for Hex. I wouldn't say NO for fancy effects though but it wouldn't be a factor on if I want to play a game or not. I do play Night Banes and honestly I don't think it looks better than Hex (at least card arts) and it's a Passive game with 1 decision per turn... utterly boring to play. It's like a solitaire when you want to put your brain on snooze.

It got old on me the 3rd day.

darkwonders
07-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Apparently my post was "too mean" even though this entire thread has been mocking OP...

Oh well...

wolzarg
07-19-2015, 12:12 PM
I'm curious if OP was born this stupid, or if he had to work on it...
Be nice to people and they in kind will be nice to others. Consider that strongly when you reread what you just wrote.

majin
07-19-2015, 12:39 PM
to be owned by a gif...

darkwonders
07-19-2015, 12:40 PM
Be nice to people and they in kind will be nice to others. Consider that strongly when you reread what you just wrote.

*points to sig*

magic_gazz
07-19-2015, 12:52 PM

Sounds like a YOU problem.

Mike411
07-19-2015, 01:02 PM
The kickstarter stretch goals mention the game will have unique particle effects to some cards, a motion comics intro sequence to the game, at least 4 more themed game boards (if you include the frost ring arena as the first one) with exciting animations and effects... but honestly this is the first time I've seen someone mention visual effects as something to improve upon. Gameplay is where it's at really. *looking forward to crafting system, raids, and 2v2*

Chadatog
07-19-2015, 01:06 PM
I'm a fan of minimalist and clean visuals. That game looks too chaotic for me. Did they copy Sol Forge?

Looks more like games such as Tyrant and Elemental Kingdoms

rjselzler
07-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Hearthstone-level polish would be sweet to entice over some HS players, but that would be a huge strain on dev resources, when the bones are still being formed for much of the game. I am solidly in the disable-the-shinies-if-possible camp. To each his own I suppose.

If someone really wants extreme visual polish and less "superfluous clicking," then maybe they should check out HS for some deceptively-simple game play...

MasterN64
07-19-2015, 02:30 PM
How is this thread not locked yet?

Kolokee
07-19-2015, 06:43 PM

LMAO. That direct hit fireball and explosion.

Well done sir. /kneel

Mandalore
07-19-2015, 09:37 PM

Microphone?

That was the whole sound system... On the OP

NOBLEStarshield
07-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Locking thread.