PDA

View Full Version : How many Set 3 Packs are you going to buy at launch?

darkwonders
07-20-2015, 07:55 AM
I have 24K platinum saved up, though I think I'm going to start with ~60 packs :)

hex_colin
07-20-2015, 08:03 AM
2,500 directly from HEX and another 500 from a friend (to start)

Tazelbain
07-20-2015, 08:03 AM
3. Buying more packs than you need to do whatever event you want to do is a tiny unnecessary risk.

Assassine
07-20-2015, 08:05 AM
I dont know if i will buy any. Probably not, cant afford anything atm :D

katkillad
07-20-2015, 08:05 AM
50 packs, that's probably all I'll need. Also would be nice to be on the better side of primal drop chances for once.

Mahes
07-20-2015, 08:06 AM

I figure that will cover both regular draft and the gauntlet system for a while. I can add that to the 5 I get from the Kickstarter.

Sparrow
07-20-2015, 08:14 AM
I buy 48. That should last me until set 4.

My plans could change, though, if this $100,000 tournament gets rolling. I'll be playing more then for sure.

ShadowRealm
07-20-2015, 08:16 AM
Will receive 30 from Kickstarter rewards, and then I'll see if I need more later when I lose more than I win or whatever.

And I forgot about the VIP packs too. Probably won't buy any until Set 4 (like I did with Set 2).

Altima
07-20-2015, 08:22 AM
30 pack for 5 gaunlet seal.

darkwonders
07-20-2015, 08:23 AM

showoff :p

hammer
07-20-2015, 08:30 AM

I hope you have the gold to back that up and spin the associated chests (not including the additional cost of spinning the legendary chests from primal packs) should require about 23 Million gold and yield approximately 69 Set 3 Primal Chests :D

f5shooter
07-20-2015, 08:36 AM
I'm planning on buying 100, but I can't decide whether I want to buy all at once, or maybe 25 at a time.
Is it better to be crushed with no primal, ONCE when you were expecting one? Or be marginally disappointed four times when you weren't expecting one?

hex_colin
07-20-2015, 08:39 AM
I hope you have the gold to back that up and spin the associated chests (not including the additional cost of spinning the legendary chests from primal packs) should require about 23 Million gold and yield approximately 69 Set 3 Primal Chests :D

I'm never going to have the Gold to spin all my chests. :( I'll end up giving a bunch away now that they'll be tradable. :)

Deckofmanythings
07-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Why that odd amount?

Because I did the math for what I need. (http://fiveshards.com/from-the-deck-from-pack-to-playset/)

Also, will be streaming it.

Cernz
07-20-2015, 08:44 AM
40-50

plaguedealer
07-20-2015, 08:47 AM
100 packs I figure 3-3-3 will be around for awhile. Thereafter it will be 4-4-3, which may also be around for awhile.

The_Lannisters
07-20-2015, 08:57 AM
Haha, I might bring the lowest figure to this thread. 20 and praying for some good things to happen. Most likely I'll have to buy more soon after :(

Assassine
07-20-2015, 08:57 AM
Why that odd amount?

Because I did the math for what I need. (http://fiveshards.com/from-the-deck-from-pack-to-playset/)

Also, will be streaming it.

...we are going to need 324 packs (288 rares divided by 88.89)...

Sorry but 288 divided by 88.89 is not 324 :P

Xexist
07-20-2015, 09:02 AM
Haha, I might bring the lowest figure to this thread. 20 and praying for some good things to happen. Most likely I'll have to buy more soon after :(

20 as well. Enough to get some drafting and gauntlet in. If I dont win enough packs to carry on, can always buy more.

Crimguy
07-20-2015, 09:08 AM
3 packs for a booster draft.

Deckofmanythings
07-20-2015, 09:13 AM

Dammit. I told the editors to check my math. :D

ziggarius
07-20-2015, 09:15 AM
Dammit. I told the editors to check my math. :D

That math is technically fine if you treat it was a word problem and understand the 88.89 is a %. Doesn't take a genius to link the two together.

Zophie
07-20-2015, 09:21 AM
20 + 5 packs from kickstarter

Assassine
07-20-2015, 09:23 AM
That math is technically fine if you treat it was a word problem and understand the 88.89 is a %. Doesn't take a genius to link the two together.

Yeah, change it to 0.8889 and youre fine. I just had to point it out :D

Poetic
07-20-2015, 09:23 AM
30 from Kickstarter and I'll be purchasing 100 packs. I'm one of the ones that try to complete my playset asap so I'll use the 30 for drafting and crack most of the 100 to get a jump start of the collection. I'll use the rest of my plat to buy singles I need.

Hadry
07-20-2015, 09:28 AM
25~~ or so. Im PvE player, but i want to try the new races and i need more cards for it. I might buy some more later, but this month isnt the eaiser one (i bought too many games already ._.)

Saeijou
07-20-2015, 09:28 AM
i get 50 from kickstarter and hope my draft-tickets will help me to get what i need :)

Kramer
07-20-2015, 09:35 AM

May I ask why you need 3k packs? You can get a second playset outside of your Producer for much less than 3k packs. Am I missing something?

hammer
07-20-2015, 09:36 AM
May I ask why you need 3k packs? You can get a second playset outside of your Producer for much less than 3k packs. Am I missing something?

Chests, sleeves, giveaways and for love of the development cost contibutions I guess

Mahes
07-20-2015, 09:37 AM

He tends to give away a lot.

pjvedder
07-20-2015, 09:37 AM

The 88.89 is a percentage (as mentioned in the article). So 288 / 0.8889 = 324.

Edit: Sorry... should have refreshed my page before replying to see the newer comments

RamzaBehoulve
07-20-2015, 09:38 AM

That's called supporting the devs and the community because he can.

Anyway, I'll just buy 3 packs from the store, then I'll just buy what I need from wherever the value is highest.

darkwonders
07-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Yeah. Colin is single-handedly paying for Cory's salary

Fyren
07-20-2015, 09:39 AM
To start, likely 20 bought+6 from the Test tournament+1 AoM Draft Set from the Charity Stream.

Graydeath
07-20-2015, 09:45 AM
i think 20-30 and then i see haw bad i do in limited...

hex_colin
07-20-2015, 09:46 AM

I'm doing my bit to keep HEX going. I need common chests to roll for WOF sleeves. I need stuff to give away (an average of 2000 packs/Set so far, not counting non-pack stuff). And, I REALLY, REALLY like opening packs... :)

Poetic
07-20-2015, 09:51 AM
Don't blame ya Colin, cracking packs has always been fun. I do miss that new card smell from physical packs, but digital is good too.

Kramer
07-20-2015, 09:55 AM
Wow Colin! I knew you gave away a ton of stuff and we all admire what you do for us as a community, I just had no idea to what magnitude. Your Awesome! Thanks for letting us all know.

nicosharp
07-20-2015, 10:13 AM
0, I've been paying it forward for quite some time now on the AH with my plat. Either a few flippers are doing well, but I'd like to think I'm supporting a bunch of F2Ps.

Colin is awesome, but know that even with him spending all that plat on packs, he still can't even cover 1 employee's salary between set releases. We need 200 Colins!

fitzle
07-20-2015, 10:27 AM
and the updates with the new UI makes opening packs and rolling chests even more exciting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

Miwa
07-20-2015, 11:07 AM
100. Plus the 35 or whatever I get from Kickstarter.

Still need lots of gold to roll all the chests from set 1 and set 2 chests too. >_<

nrflorencio
07-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Im buying 6 for my first gauntlet run, then buying more as i need them... Bought a bunch when set 2 came out and never got to use them (with all the packs you get back from drafts...). Ended up selling loads of packs in the AH, losing plat for whatever difference it was to 200p they cost on the store.

Malakili
07-20-2015, 11:19 AM
None out of the gate, I can't even remember how many I'm getting from KS, but I figure it'll float me for a while. They'll be available cheaper on the AH after a bit if I REALLY need more, and buying singles for constructed is just more cost efficient anyway.

bofedy
07-20-2015, 11:26 AM
I will buy 30 packs althou i want to sell my AoDs and reeses to get 70 ish packs

pjvedder
07-20-2015, 11:28 AM
Im buying 6 for my first gauntlet run, then buying more as i need them... Bought a bunch when set 2 came out and never got to use them (with all the packs you get back from drafts...). Ended up selling loads of packs in the AH, losing plat for whatever difference it was to 200p they cost on the store.

I'm torn with doing this strategy and just buying and ripping open a bunch of packs just because there's nothing that beats that thrill of opening a new set's packs. I'll probably fall somewhere in between, like 6 for gauntlet, 10 to just open immediately, and buy as I need.

Zophie
07-20-2015, 11:38 AM
I can't even remember how many I'm getting from KS

For reference if anyone needs a reminder of what rewards each KS tier receives:

https://www.hextcg.com/hex-backer-rewards/

Xenavire
07-20-2015, 12:15 PM
I'm never going to have the Gold to spin all my chests. :( I'll end up giving a bunch away now that they'll be tradable. :)

Well, I remember you mentioned you might give me some commons someday so I could get the missing wheels sleeves. Well the *self censored* things still haven't dropped! Can you believe it? :p

hex_colin
07-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Well, I remember you mentioned you might give me some commons someday so I could get the missing wheels sleeves. Well the *self censored* things still haven't dropped! Can you believe it? :p

I shall make that happen! You can roll and return them! Or keep them if you really need stuff from them, but I imagine that's doubtful. :)

Flairina
07-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Let's see... I get one draft pack and one draft ticket from the charity stream, so that's six packs (assuming I don't disconnect while opening), three packs from the kickstarter, I have a non expiring draft ticket already, I need a small buffer of plat to enter drafts or gauntlet with non-draft tickets- I have 3700 right now...

I think- THINK- I'll be starting at 24 packs. Which I will hopefully use a little more smartly than I have my packs prior. :P I might get a pack from the stress tournament? I don't know.

(Also, does anyone know if the timer for gauntlet resets after the first game of the match? Probably not, but I'm hoping? Is there a way to extend the timer?)

EDIT: Miscalculated. I have TWO draft tickets already, plus I won a pack from a proving grounds match. So, 28-29? But then, I don't know if I'm going to buy the 15 packs with pure plat, so... hmm. Okay, minimum 16, assuming we count draft tickets and packs. You know what, actually, the answer is "somewhere under 50". There. ^^;

nicosharp
07-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Let's see... I get one draft pack and one draft ticket from the charity stream, so that's six packs (assuming I don't disconnect while opening), three packs from the kickstarter, I have a non expiring draft ticket already, I need a small buffer of plat to enter drafts or gauntlet with non-draft tickets- I have 3700 right now...

I think- THINK- I'll be starting at 24 packs. Which I will hopefully use a little more smartly than I have my packs prior. :P I might get a pack from the stress tournament? I don't know.

(Also, does anyone know if the timer for gauntlet resets after the first game of the match? Probably not, but I'm hoping? Is there a way to extend the timer?)
Yes - the timer always resets - Each match in Gauntlet is best of 1. Your next opponent is completely unique.

Xenavire
07-20-2015, 12:49 PM
I shall make that happen! You can roll and return them! Or keep them if you really need stuff from them, but I imagine that's doubtful. :)

Chances are the chests I have now should be enough to get everything from the common drops, however you might need to wait for me to return them, all my farmed gold went up in smoke when I donated all of it to good causes. /broke

:p

wolzarg

The sleeves are elusive still missing both set 1 and 2 uncommon as well as set 2 rare not to mention those darn water elementals i want so badly. and i spun over 1k chests :(

ziggarius
Gauntlet is best of one, so there's only a single 30 min timer per game. Win/lose, you get a new timer in the next best of one.

Tazelbain
07-20-2015, 01:15 PM
Gauntlet is best of one, so there's only a single 30 min timer per game. Win/lose, you get a new timer in the next best of one.Weird if that's still true. Defeats the logic of going to Bo1 if matches can still run an hour long.

ziggarius
07-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Weird if that's still true. Defeats the logic of going to Bo1 if matches can still run an hour long.

It's just like a proving grounds match, best of one. Only difference is gauntlet has entry fees and gives out rewards (and one of the gauntlets is sealed instead of constructed).

magic_gazz
07-20-2015, 01:34 PM
3 for my first draft, then any where from 0-3 for the next draft that day, then 0-3 for the next draft that day.

Repeat every day for several months.

I will probably not bother trying to acquire new cards for the VIP this month, old decks will do just fine.

Tazelbain
07-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Then I don't see why gauntlet is Bo1 instead Bo3. Bo1 was suppose to more convenient than Bo3 because it took up less time. But if you still have to block out an hour of time either way, that rationale doesn't apply.

magic_gazz
07-20-2015, 01:40 PM
Then I don't see why gauntlet is Bo1 instead Bo3. Bo1 was suppose to more convenient than Bo3 because it took up less time. But if you still have to block out an hour of time either way, that rationale doesn't apply.

In gauntlet you can play 1 best of 1 game and stop. Meaning the maximum time is 1 hour. Most games will not last that long.

ossuary
07-20-2015, 01:41 PM

A single game would very rarely use up all 30 minutes of both peoples' clocks. Also, you understand that normal tournaments go beyond a single round, right? ;) With gauntlet, you can drop out and back in between games, just queue up when you have time, then as soon as that single game is over, you're done until you queue up again.

The only time you'd be leaving a draft after just an hour would be if you lost your first round match in about 30 seconds after drafting and deckbuilding were done. :p

Zophie
07-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Weird if that's still true. Defeats the logic of going to Bo1 if matches can still run an hour long.

It would only go 1 hour if both players are equally very slow and/or running equally slow decks in a very long drawn out game and both players somehow work their clocks down at the exact same pace as each other.

If I had to guess I would say normally games will probably run around 15-30 min, maybe up to 40-45 for the really slow games.

WolfCrypt
07-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Hmm I'll buy two and then use my Coyotle deck to get enough gold to buy a third booster.

Flairina
07-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Yes - the timer always resets - Each match in Gauntlet is best of 1. Your next opponent is completely unique.

Oh thank heavens. I know what tournament version I'm going for then. Namely, the one I might actually be able to finish. :D

Tazelbain
07-20-2015, 02:40 PM
A single game would very rarely use up all 30 minutes of both peoples' clocks. Also, you understand that normal tournaments go beyond a single round, right? ;) With gauntlet, you can drop out and back in between games, just queue up when you have time, then as soon as that single game is over, you're done until you queue up again.

The only time you'd be leaving a draft after just an hour would be if you lost your first round match in about 30 seconds after drafting and deckbuilding were done. :p
But you have budget your time slowest outcome. In this case, the slowest outcome the same and average is different. If someone has 30 minutes at lunch to play a game, they can't play gauntlet because while the average game may be less then 30mins, the longer games will screw them over. For Bo1 to actually to be more convenient than Bo3, time need to be shorter.

Zophie
07-20-2015, 03:14 PM
But you have budget your time slowest outcome. In this case, the slowest outcome the same and average is different. If someone has 30 minutes at lunch to play a game, they can't play gauntlet because while the average game may be less then 30mins, the longer games will screw them over. For Bo1 to actually to be more convenient than Bo3, time need to be shorter.

Just figure out approximately how much time you reasonably expect to take from your own timer during a game if you're actively playing quickly, then add 30 minutes to that, and that will be your max you'll need to budget for. Ideally this number will be much less than 1 hour, and would still only be applicable to situations where your opponent is playing so slowly and likely losing to the clock.

I realize that max is still more than 30 minutes, but it's still a heck of a lot shorter than the time commitments required in other formats.

Maybe in the future there could be a "Speed Gauntlet" option where the clocks are set to 15 minutes each.

Trothael
07-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Whatever I get from my Kickstarter rewards, and I've put aside 10k plat to buy packs with.

AstaSyneri
07-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Planning to buy 50 - I am going to see how far that will carry me with Gauntlet and the free drafts.

Yeah, that worked well for Sets 1 and 2 while I had Plat in the bank. ;-) (no it didn't, I still bought more and tore them open like a maniac). #selfcontrol

Vorsa
07-20-2015, 03:29 PM
My plan has always been 50 worth of boosters + KS rewards + the platinum I've slowly amassed from draft loot.

That should work out as 40 + 15 + 25 for an even 80 boosters (saving last part-thousand for irresistible auction items :)).

Jonesy
07-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Just realized I'm getting 15 packs from kickstarter, hopefully I can draft off of that forever like with set 2...though starting when the weekly free draft ends those will almost certainly bleed away eventually. Stupid full Pro Player Tier :(.

Tazelbain
07-20-2015, 03:30 PM
What you are calling speed gauntlet would be a pretty normal long single game. 15-minute timers seems like a pretty straightforward change so stated goal of convenience is met.

Zophie
07-20-2015, 03:43 PM
What you are calling speed gauntlet would be a pretty normal long single game. 15-minute timers seems like a pretty straightforward change so stated goal of convenience is met.

I think calling it calling it a "Speed" mode would highlight the reduced timers and promote quicker play from participants though. Keep in mind some people run really slow decks and end up needing more than 15 minutes even when they are actively playing, and we should also allow time for people who aren't very strong with the game a chance to think about their plays without worrying about hitting a 15 minute wall and losing to the clock. As it stands the 30 minute timer is long enough to allow flexibility for those audiences while putting a reasonable stopgap on the game lengths to prevent abuse. Yes, most people that play regularly would be very comfortable with 15 minute timers, but that's not everyone, which is why I would call a shorter timer Speed vs having it be the norm. Just my opinion, I'd be fine with a shorter timer as an option, but I think others may struggle with it a lot if it was the norm.

Yoss
07-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Mr. Turkentine: Charlie Bucket, how many did you open?
Charlie Bucket: Two.
Mr. Turkentine: That's easy. 200 is twice 100...
Charlie Bucket: Not 200, just two.
Mr. Turkentine: Two? What do you mean you only opened two?
Charlie Bucket: I don't care very much for cards.
Mr. Turkentine: Well, I can't figure out just two! So let's pretend you opened 200. Now, if you opened 200 booster packs, apart from being dreadfully addicted, you'd have used up 20% of 1,000, which is 15% half over again, 10%...

WolfCrypt
07-20-2015, 04:12 PM
I hate that movie but lol

RobHaven
07-20-2015, 09:43 PM
Planning on 150 packs. Love tearing into primal.

MandaloreTV
07-20-2015, 09:52 PM

Rapkannibale
07-21-2015, 12:33 AM
350 for me. Will open as many as I need to complete a playset of Set 3 then, if there are any left, use them for Gauntlet and sell some to get Gold for chests. :)

Skirovik
07-21-2015, 12:44 AM
50. Really hoping to proc a primal. Like really, REALLY hoping. If I don't get a primal I'll likely cry. :(

shizuyami
07-21-2015, 01:05 AM
I will start with about a 100-150. I might buy more later on ^^

starwing
07-21-2015, 04:02 AM
I'm going to pick up 15 to start with, and then keep up a regular habit :cool:

Halsey
07-21-2015, 10:24 AM
Kind of tight on cash to pump into the system at the moment. But I do have a fair amount of plat on my account and a few things I can sell off for more if needed. I'll probably pick up 20-30 to add to my kickstarter, stress test packs, etc. Then I'll see how far that carries me after release celebration, sealed gauntlet etc, and pick up more as needed.