PDA

View Full Version : 1 free non-expiring draft ticket needs to be granted for each purchased starter

nicosharp
07-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Interesting. Wonder if that is just adding necessary value to purchasing starter decks - or if it's making room for their removal as purchasable content?

(IE - will we all be getting all starters soon?)
new player experience!!!

https://www.hextcg.com/armies-of-myth-launch-721/

ziggarius
07-20-2015, 12:28 PM
So, kickstarter accounts are getting up to 4 free non-expiring draft tickets with this I think. That's pretty cool, and at a $7 value certainly makes the starter decks less of a "avoid at all costs" but unsure if they'd could be recommended now or not. Hrm.

ossuary
07-20-2015, 12:29 PM
I suspect this change will be going forward, not free draft tickets for the free starter decks we got. But who knows, CZE has been generous before. I don't think it's necessary, but I certainly wouldn't turn it down, either. ;)

bootlace
07-20-2015, 12:29 PM
That sounds like a necessary addition to sweeten the deal on the starter decks which were previously a terrible purchase at 1000 plat.

nicosharp
07-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Either way - great job!
Still think it's better to give all decks for new players to have choice without financial investment, but at least buying can be more heavily advertised and supported.

ziggarius
07-20-2015, 12:31 PM
I suspect this change will be going forward, not free draft tickets for the free starter decks we got. But who knows, CZE has been generous before. I don't think it's necessary, but I certainly wouldn't turn it down, either. ;)

Ossuary, it says that it "needs" to be inserted. Not going forward.

Poetic
Doubt the original KS ones will get it, and shouldn't. Hope it's just going forward as an added incentive to purchase. Great value for new players jumping in and getting started.

IronPheasant
A good change. 3 bux is about what the starters are worth.

ziggarius
07-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Doubt the original KS ones will get it, and shouldn't. Hope it's just going forward as an added incentive to purchase. Great value for new players jumping in and getting started.

Considering the four starter decks are granted as if they were purchased, it may. We'll find out tomorrow :P

nicosharp
Well, maybe not the KS folks, but I'd argue for the Slacker Backers to at least be compensated. Most of the value in Slacking-Backing was tied to the Starters having a $10 value.

ossuary
Ossuary, it says that it "needs" to be inserted. Not going forward.

Yes, I'm aware of that. However, those starters were still not purchased, they were gifted. I assumed the "insert" would be for people who actually payed platinum for the starters since the store launched, not for the people who got them for nothing.

Xenavire
07-20-2015, 12:35 PM
People who bought the starters are in need for compensation for some reason. That does not include KS granted ones to the best of my knowledge, as there was no actual value attached to those starters.

As for the reason, I am betting it is a very good one.

ziggarius
07-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Yes, I'm aware of that. However, those starters were still not purchased, they were gifted. I assumed the "insert" would be for people who actually payed platinum for the starters since the store launched, not for the people who got them for nothing.

I double checked the kickstarter page, they listed the starter decks as $10 value there for kickstarters. Just saying, it sounds like they were considered purchased at a very good discount for kickstarters.

Phenteo
07-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Prices of starter decks are changing to 500 platinum. We've decided to give everyone a non-expiring draft ticket for every starter deck purchased with platinum at the 1000 platinum price.

ziggarius
07-20-2015, 12:37 PM
Prices of starter decks are changing to 500 platinum. We've decided to give everyone a non-expiring draft ticket for every starter deck purchased with platinum at the 1000 platinum price.

Oh my, that's pretty cool. Good to have an answer about this directly :)

nicosharp
07-20-2015, 12:37 PM
I double checked the kickstarter page, they listed the starter decks as $10 value there for kickstarters. Just saying, it sounds like they were considered purchased at a very good discount for kickstarters.
They did have value associated to them during the KS. I don't think it's greedy to consider all goods obtained from the KS as goods that were paid for. I would never expect any more value from the KS, but just speaking from a logical perspective of what the KS was.

awesome - thanks Phenteo - Any future talk about new player onboarding experience regarding deck choice and options to try other things without creating new accounts/breaking TOS and without spending money? I guess we can leave that to the gold farm/plat trading economy to sort out, just seems like a lot may hit a frustration point before figuring out how to farm/trade.

Poetic
07-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Makes sense Phento.

Zophie
07-20-2015, 12:41 PM

Nice, I'll gladly pick up all 4 of the new starters at that price. Might still be cheaper buying individual cards but I'm lazy and that price works for me ;)

Vorpal
07-20-2015, 12:56 PM

Good call. I think this is a good change for new players who gravitate towards starters, and also nice of you to refund the difference for vet players who have already purchased them.

Khazrakh
07-20-2015, 12:56 PM

Once more an act of unasked for generosity.
Amazing :)

ziggarius
07-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Once more an act of unasked for generosity.
Amazing :)

Well, to be fair we've been calling the starters overpriced for some time. But it is good to see that they're lowering the price, and they're providing a benefit to those that purchased early.

Khazrakh
07-20-2015, 01:06 PM
Well, to be fair we've been calling the starters overpriced for some time. But it is good to see that they're lowering the price, and they're providing a benefit to those that purchased early.

Sure but they could just lower the price and call it a day - they had a price tag attached to it, so everybody knew what he was getting ;)

EntropyBall
07-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Sure but they could just lower the price and call it a day - they had a price tag attached to it, so everybody knew what he was getting ;)

To be honest, they likely didn't. We all know, but a new player very likely did not understand how bad of a deal the starters were.

I'm kinda surprised its not applying to KS or slacker backer, but I certainly won't complain about the value I've received. For SB and the lower tiers, though, more of the value was tied up in the "$10" starter.

magic_gazz
07-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Us Slacker Backers were not given the starter decks as they did not have a way to do it at the time. Instead they credited us all with 1k plat, so we already got our value.

nicosharp
07-20-2015, 01:44 PM
Us Slacker Backers were not given the starter decks as they did not have a way to do it at the time. Instead they credited us all with 1k plat, so we already got our value.
ahhh! totally forgot, true.

ryuukan
07-20-2015, 01:45 PM
To be honest, they likely didn't. We all know, but a new player very likely did not understand how bad of a deal the starters were.

I'm kinda surprised its not applying to KS or slacker backer, but I certainly won't complain about the value I've received. For SB and the lower tiers, though, more of the value was tied up in the "$10" starter.

If I complain will I get the tickets

Xexist
07-20-2015, 02:43 PM
Lowering the starter deck price is a good call. So is this patches already, or can people buy all the start decks now and get drafts for each and end up with effectively $3 starter decks?

EntropyBall
07-20-2015, 02:51 PM
I'd imagine you could buy them all right now if you wanted to.

Yoss
07-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Glad to hear about the 500p change. Now buying starters isn't a horrible idea for a new player. For the extreme value shopper, the AH will almost always be better, but this 500p change makes it a good price point to trade off for convenience.

Vorsa
07-20-2015, 03:42 PM
Thanks, Phenteo. :)

I think the lure of chests will push boosters over the line for me, but the Vennen starter deck (on test server at least) has some compelling rares for 500; Exarch of the Egg, Nest Baron and - I think - Zealous Excruciator.

Certainly if my Vennen pulls don't go well, I could see myself topping up with one...

Lukezors
07-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Can you still do trials for the new starters by forming them on your own?

bofedy
07-20-2015, 07:39 PM
I would think so lukezors a good idead to test when ingame :)

ShadowRealm
07-21-2015, 01:34 AM
I wanted to try it also as soon as I can gather the cards from a new starter deck. Wasn't there a list of all the cards in a recent update if I remember? I'll try to find it again.

DanTheMeek
07-21-2015, 02:11 AM
My First thought: As usual this amazing company does right by their customer when they didn't have to, compensating previous purchasers do to reducing the base price of something.
My Second thought: I kind of wish they'd have just stuck with adding a draft ticket going forward, as I've always felt it was already a pretty generous valuation of the starters to say they were worth about 300 plat, so a 700 plat draft ticket added on seemed just right and a great way to get new players to jump into the other wise intimidating world of pay for entry tournaments.
My third thought: Eh, the route they went probably makes more sense, 2 dollar packs were about half the going rate of a similar competitors packs, so 5 dollar starters being about half of other competitors starters just seems like the logical price point. Further, this makes starters more approachable for players who only want to pve.
My last thought: I still can't see myself buying starters at this price point, but I really hope some day they flesh out the "trials" into a fuller pve experience, with like unique challenges and exclusive story tidbits or something, as the trials are really what make Hex's starters unique, are the exclusive content only they have, and thus the area that could make starters a genuine value just for the play experience a lone. Make the trials something I want to pay 5 dollars for just to experience, and now the starters seem like a great value as I'm basically getting the cards that come with it for free with my trials purchase.