PDA

View Full Version : So...Release Celebration on 4 days notice?

Khazrakh
07-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Some weeks ago, I made A little request regarding the release of Set 3 (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=43508) asking to please not have the release celebration be announced on a short notice and well, that's exactly what we've gotten now.

Now don't get me wrong I understand the launch had to be postponed and I'm all for it. Also I understand the next weeks are already packed with events and you don't want to have a release celebration weeks after the release but still... I can't help to feel a little salty about it.

I took quite an effort to free up last weekend because I wanted to play as much as I could in the release celebration. That included trading around some obligations from last weekend to this weekend - something I couldn't change back once we had the official word on Thursday. In effect, I won't be able to play at all that coming weekend. I might be able to manage a draft or two on Monday but that's about it.

That means not only am I missing on the fun of having a LAN with 3 of my friends and drafting all weekend, those release events have an actual major monetary value as well. Looking at AA Filk Ape a single copy of the Duke is probably paying for 4-5 drafts alone, while a single common AA pays for 1-2 boosters on the AH. Now I don't claim to be the best draft player around, I'm not by a huge margin, but I'm confident I would have won some of those drafts. Since I'm kind of a Collector as well I'm now not only not winning any copies to sell but I actually have to buy 4 copies to complete my playset.

I know things can't be undone and nobody wanted to postpone the Set in the first place, but still, pretty please, try to avoid putting up events on such short notice in the future. I love Hex from the bottom of my heart and I'm more than willing to schedule around those events, but I really can't do so within several days. Especially if I already tried to schedule for the weekend before.

Well, thanks for reading, still loving you guys <3

shocker455
07-20-2015, 01:09 PM
So u would of rather them delay the set by weeks so u had notice?!

As for only delay the celebration, it doesn't make sense for it to be a month after release...

wolzarg
07-20-2015, 01:10 PM
The solution harsh as it may be is to not putt all eggs in one basket. Having a day each weekend is safer than 2 in 1 and 0 the other.

Assassine
07-20-2015, 01:20 PM
The AAs wont be worth as much as during the last event at least.

magic_gazz
07-20-2015, 01:22 PM
The AAs wont be worth as much as during the last event at least.

Based on?

ziggarius
07-20-2015, 01:24 PM
Based on?

Increased VIP users, and greater supply I presume.

Nevermind...wrong AAs. lol

Saeijou
07-20-2015, 01:24 PM
Based on?

bigger player base?

Gorgol
07-20-2015, 01:25 PM
woops

nicosharp
07-20-2015, 01:26 PM
Increased VIP users, and greater supply I presume.
VIP users have nothing to do with release celeb AA's
Larger playerbase perhaps, and new faster ways to farm AA's might have more to do with it than anything else. IMO, farming in Gauntlet will be the fastest way, and the least challenging would be farming in daily sealed (3+ winners for every 16+ competing)

ziggarius
07-20-2015, 01:26 PM
VIP users have nothing to do with release celeb AA's
Larger playerbase perhaps, and new faster ways to farm AA's might have more to do with it than anything else. IMO, farming in Gauntlet will be the fastest way, and the least challenging would be farming in daily sealed (3+ winners for every 16+ competing)

Already edited that I thought the wrong AAs. :p

Assassine
07-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Bigger playerbase and the possibility to get them from scheduled events and gauntlet. Mainly Gauntlet, because going 5/2 (or 3/1 for scheduled) is easier than 3/0 id say.

magic_gazz
07-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Bigger player base means more AA's but "should" also mean more demand.

The gauntlet might make it easier than before, someone did the math and you need a slightly lower win rate than you do in draft to get them. Also should take less time.

I will try 1 or 2 Gauntlets and see how it goes, feels like its just sealed but more random (best of 1), so probably not going to be that great.

Assassine
07-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Bigger player base means more AA's but "should" also mean more demand.

Yes, but were looking at Filk Ape prices according to current demand, not past. Bigger playerbase means more Dukes than Apes means lower price than Apes.

poizonous
07-20-2015, 03:12 PM
Yes, but were looking at Filk Ape prices according to current demand, not past. Bigger playerbase means more Dukes than Apes means lower price than Apes.

But you also forget the fact that Filk Ape is not a major constructed competitive card. Duke has a chance to be in a Tier 1 deck so that could drive the price higher

AstaSyneri
07-20-2015, 03:27 PM
I share Khazrakh's feeling. I planned for last weekend. That didn't go well - okay, I understand. Piling it up this weekend with the VIP to boot is a bit... catastrophic.

One solution for this weekend would be to make the VIP tickets non-expiring in order to make room for release events. Otherwise it's a horrible clash.

Xexist
07-20-2015, 03:35 PM
I share Khazrakh's feeling. I planned for last weekend. That didn't go well - okay, I understand. Piling it up this weekend with the VIP to boot is a bit... catastrophic.

One solution for this weekend would be to make the VIP tickets non-expiring in order to make room for release events. Otherwise it's a horrible clash.

Really they are doing both? That IS brutal

Assassine
07-20-2015, 03:46 PM
But you also forget the fact that Filk Ape is not a major constructed competitive card. Duke has a chance to be in a Tier 1 deck so that could drive the price higher

Before Set 2 release, Filk Ape was talked about like that as well. I think he still has the potential to be. But yeah, you have a point.

hex_colin
07-20-2015, 03:50 PM

Catastrophic? We're playing a game, right? For fun? ;)

Hexgo
07-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Am I missing something or is the VIP weekend the same weekend like the celeb-weekend?
:-((((

x78089
07-20-2015, 03:58 PM

LOL, Colin it is more fun to blow things out of proportion.

elfstone
07-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Its the same weekend, which i'm still not sure what people are freaking out too much about. you play a VIP, so a few hours, and still have all weekend.

Besides, the only other thing would be to delay launch until after convocation, and im not sure how you all expect to play set 3 for convocation packs without set 3 :p.

In all honesty this was the most likely scenario since they told us of the delay last week.

I always read everything as "unless something ELSE big comes up, expect next tuesday as release".

Khaz look me up come tuesday after release event. I'll see what I can do about gettin ye some cheapo Dukes ok? Don't want anyone feeling down :)

Gwaer
07-20-2015, 05:38 PM
Yea, this weekend is full for me, too. Got a lot of stuff to get done before I fly out for gencon. Sucks for a lot of people, but delaying it another week was not an option, 2 weeks is a maybe, but more likely it would have been three weeks, and really that's not much of a release celebration. I'm just glad we're getting set 3 before gencon, and the release celebration at all. We'll just have to make do, buy the AA's from people who are lucky enough to have time to get them.

katkillad
07-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Even if the celebration event was last weekend, it was always going to be inconvenient for someone. Even if they delayed it because it was inconvenient for you, the next date would not be good for someone else...

bofedy
07-20-2015, 07:26 PM
This week isent great for me due to my rugby teams first match of the year being on saturday and its a memorial match but hey cant expect everything in life to be when its the best time for you am i right?

Zophie
07-20-2015, 07:33 PM
I'm just glad we're getting set 3 before gencon, and the release celebration at all. We'll just have to make do, buy the AA's from people who are lucky enough to have time to get them.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I agree with Gwaer.

elfstone
07-20-2015, 07:40 PM
Well I agree with Zophie, but not Gwaer

Khazrakh
07-20-2015, 08:49 PM
Khaz look me up come tuesday after release event. I'll see what I can do about gettin ye some cheapo Dukes ok? Don't want anyone feeling down :)

Highly appreciate the offer but no need for selling stuff cheap to me - I'll pay what the market asks for and move on. Still - thank you very much for offering this!

Anyway, I fully understand this was the best solution we had and I'm not asking to change that now. Really just had to share my feelings about it. Ultimately I'm looking forward to Set 3 as much as the next guy :)

poizonous
07-20-2015, 08:56 PM
I dunno if you're looking forward to it like me i literally have a countdown on my phone... exactly 16 hours 5 minutes and 43 seconds

N3rd4Christ
07-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Lots to do but i will have to find time for hex =P Gotta get 3 VIP in =P

Skirovik
07-21-2015, 12:31 AM
As excited as I am, this is a bad weekend for me too. I might have to convince the missus to let me skip out on our plans, lol.

AstaSyneri
07-21-2015, 12:39 AM

Don't get hooked on one word.

Being delayed, pushed on a different weekend (again: I do understand why the delay was necessary, no hard feelings there), and doubled up with VIP makes this a chore rather than fun.

There is an easy solution: Reintroduce the "VIP infinity bug", aka turn this weekends unused VIP tickets into non-expiring ones. That means we don't have to waste them (I wager with Set 3 being legal but only being out what - 3 days? - turnout for this VIP will be at an all-time low).

OR give out the release celebration promos (winners to 3-1 and above / participation to all) to the VIP tournament participants. Trying to do both on an unplanned weekend makes for some unhappy players, I believe.

Khazrakh
07-21-2015, 12:42 AM
OR give out the release celebration promos (winners to 3-1 and above / participation to all) to the VIP tournament participants. Trying to do both on an unplanned weekend makes for some unhappy players, I believe.

They do give out the AAs for the VIP tournament:

To win the Duplicitous Duke AA, you can meet one of the following criteria:

Gauntlet: Get 5 Wins in a single Sealed Gauntlet Run (you must finish a Gauntlet run during the event).
8-person Queue: Top 1 is awarded Duplicitous Duke AA (Single-Elim Competitive Draft, and Swiss Draft)
Daily Sealed Tournaments: 4-0 and 3-1 will win the Duplicitous Duke AA
July’s VIP tournaments (4 wins and 3 wins)

So my only issue really remains that I'm unable to schedule on such a short notice, but well...persönliches Pech ;)

Spiredore
07-21-2015, 12:43 AM
There is an easy solution: Reintroduce the "VIP infinity bug", aka turn this weekends unused VIP tickets into non-expiring ones. That means we don't have to waste them (I wager with Set 3 being legal but only being out what - 3 days? - turnout for this VIP will be at an all-time low).

You do know that both of these things will be happening, right?

Cernz
07-21-2015, 12:43 AM
this might be one of the funnier vip constructed tournaments since hex went live :D

katkillad
07-21-2015, 01:04 AM
Being delayed, pushed on a different weekend (again: I do understand why the delay was necessary, no hard feelings there), and doubled up with VIP makes this a chore rather than fun.

To get hung up on one word, you have a very weird implied meaning for "chore".

AstaSyneri
07-21-2015, 02:55 AM
You do know that both of these things will be happening, right?

No, I didn't. It just made a lot of sense to me, and I did not find it in the announcements on the website. Did I overlook it?

To get hung up on one word, you have a very weird implied meaning for "chore".

Do I? Expiring tickets put pressure on me to use them. Release events put pressure on me to play them to get the DDuke. That kind of pressure - on very short notice puts it very much into the realm of chore rather than fun - but that's a very subjective view, of course, I'll give you that. My primary motivation to play Hex is PvE, so competitive PvP does stress me. Out of 27 attempts I managed to get 1 Triple Ape (AAApe), failing to win the finals in 5 attempts. That sucked (yes, there are better players than me ;-)).

As it turns out things have been adjusted/edited to reflect what I thought would make it better - HexEnt is good in doing that (even if it sometimes takes a little storm in the forums ;-)).

So, Set 3, bring it on.

ManofPeace
07-21-2015, 04:02 AM
No, I didn't. It just made a lot of sense to me, and I did not find it in the announcements on the website. Did I overlook it?

1. Non-expiring tickets
https://www.hextcg.com/vip-returning-faq/
Q: Will the VIP tickets expire?
A: No, VIP tickets will no longer be set to expire. This allows you to choose when you want to participate.

2. VIP tournament eligible for release celebration. This one wasn't actually in originally so you may have missed it.

UPDATE:

We are adding the Release Celebration AA rewards to the VIP tournaments this week as well.
Front page article https://www.hextcg.com/armies-of-myth-launch-721/ was also updated to reflect that.

Warrender
07-21-2015, 05:18 AM
Which is why is scheduled my time off to coincide with the Convocation. I knew set 3 release was going to be hit-or-miss. But I figured the Convocation schedule would be writ in in stone.

YourOpponent
07-21-2015, 07:38 AM
I honestly don't know why all the VIP people are complaining about VIP weekend being the same time as release weekend. If you read the VIP FAQ (which I recommend you do) it sounds like part of the patch is that the remaining VIP tickets that current VIP members have yet to receive will be sent to your inventory as non-expiring VIP tickets. This means you can use them for next month's VIP sealed or wait 2 months and use them for a different VIP Constructed...so pretty much forget about VIP this month and just enjoy the release weekend instead!!

Vorpal
07-21-2015, 07:46 AM
I've lost track of the scheduling here

-Convocation
-VIP
-Release celebration

are all three of those overlapping now?

Elwinz
07-21-2015, 07:51 AM
no they dont. Wel vip and release yes, i think convication is next weekend.

Thrawn
07-21-2015, 07:51 AM

-Convocation
-VIP
-Release celebration

Convocation is the following week.

hex_colin
07-21-2015, 09:29 AM

-Convocation
-VIP
-Release celebration

http://fiveshards.com/events/

Sparrow
07-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Leaving on vacation today, back on Saturday. This is a no electronic device vacation (except for an old school type cell phone), so I don't want to come back to find the forums in shambles, the server broke, and/or Myths rolled back and delayed! Have fun, everyone.