PDA

View Full Version : The Things I Do for HEX...

Ertzi
07-21-2015, 10:02 AM
I cannot believe I am doing this, but I just took 3 more days off from work. This will be unpaid vacation, which will wreak havoc on my financial situation next month.

For some f***g reason, if I take 3 days off, a 4th day will be automatically added to the number of days by the stupid program, and the added day will always be the next normal day off. So, the program counts one of my normal free days as an unpaid vacation from work, so I don't get any benefit, but I will still be paid less for it. Is this normal in other countries?? I checked this from my superior, who also checked it from her superior, and this is really how it works. For some insane reason. I knew all this, and I still said "yes" when my boss asked if I was sure I want to do it this way. HEX has a spell on me, what can I say. I could not take the thought of not binge playing after all this sweet stuff is added into the game.

I also bailed out of a football tournament this coming weekend, which I had already paid for, and I goddamn love football. Who wants to play sports when you can sit inside and play a computer game. *sigh* I am a hopeless geek.

This is the only game in the universe I would even consider doing this.

If something catastrophic occurs with the launch this time and I cannot play, I will eat a chair. It will be Cory's favorite chair.

Kami
07-21-2015, 10:07 AM
While I admire your enthusiasm, I really don't think you should've put HEX in front of real life priorities. :/

That's how addictions start to cause problems.

That being said, yes, HEX is addictive. *whistles innocently*

Cory_Jones
07-21-2015, 10:09 AM
I strongly disagree with Kami :)

hex_colin
07-21-2015, 10:10 AM

Anyone else picturing tiny Princess Cory on one shoulder, tiny Kami on the other... ;)

WolfCrypt
07-21-2015, 10:10 AM
Taking a day off to play HEX and it will affect your paycheck.. I'm kinda concerned how into Hex you are.

nicosharp
07-21-2015, 10:11 AM
I agree with Kami. We need to check ourselves in these situations. I had to mentally battle with myself not very long ago to value some family time away over chaining myself to an 'event'. This game is definitely an awesome crutch to have, but takes strong willpower to appropriately balance with other commitments. We can have an AA meeting about it at HEX Con. :p

LOL

Poetic
07-21-2015, 10:11 AM
I have too many responsibilities these days to do something wacky like this. Younger me living with my mom probably would have though.

I wish you the best dude.

Saeijou
07-21-2015, 10:13 AM
if i only would have the 30 days of vacation i had in germany... but i will take of friday for the celebration as well ;)

Khazrakh
07-21-2015, 10:17 AM
I have too many responsibilities these days to do something wacky like this. Younger me living with my mom probably would have though.

I wish you the best dude.

I feel exactly the same. If I was still studying with no obligations what soever it would have been a no brainer to just do nothing but play Hex for the next 7 days or so but nowadays I just can't afford to do so anymore.
That being said I'm still secretly working to sneak in one or two drafts that weekend - we'll see how that works out ;)

Cernz
07-21-2015, 10:21 AM

i told my wife to buy me snacks and energy drinks for the weekend to get rdy for those release weekend ;)

JakeFreedom
07-21-2015, 10:23 AM
Anyone else picturing tiny Princess Cory on one shoulder, tiny Kami on the other... ;)

Haha, yes so true!

Zarien
07-21-2015, 10:48 AM
I took off two days last week in preparation for Hex launch :(. Now I have to save my vacation for family stuff. Maybe next launch we can launch on time so that I don't waste my days. Still excited and plan on playing all night though.

HoboDevil
07-21-2015, 11:03 AM
A friend of mine always uses the same quote about anything regarding "addiction" that always amuses me.

"I smoked a joint once and thought I was a badass. Then I turned on MTV and saw that Nikki Sixx drank heroin from a fire hose".

In like two hours we will all be clinging desperately to the Hex Fire Hose. Let's make Mr. Sixx proud!

Kaiba_Graysoul
07-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Haha, yes so true!

Both saying play hex lol

Zophie
07-21-2015, 11:16 AM
OP: I'm not sure I totally understand your situation, but I can tell you at least at my job they won't ever let us simply take unpaid vacations. We either schedule time off using our paid time off bank that we accrue over time, or it's considered an absence and we're penalized for it, and we're still forced to use our PTO bank to pay for it. If we don't have PTO time available they won't let us schedule time off, and we have to give enough advanced notice for it to be approved also. Too many penalties for unscheduled absences and we're done. This is how most of my jobs have handled time off.

HoboDevil
07-21-2015, 11:18 AM
OP: I'm not sure I totally understand your situation, but I can tell you at least at my job they won't ever let us simply take unpaid vacations. We either schedule time off using our paid time off bank that we accrue over time, or it's considered an absence and we're penalized for it, and we're still forced to use our PTO bank to pay for it. If we don't have PTO time available they won't let us schedule time off, and we have to give enough advanced notice for it to be approved also. Too many penalties for unscheduled absences and we're done. This is how most of my jobs have handled time off.

Most of my jobs have just said "Nope" and I went to work sad.

Ertzi
07-21-2015, 11:19 AM
I appreciate the genuine concern, and while I agree that gaming addiction is a serious issue, I can honestly say that I have no problems in this regard. Yes, this might not be the most wise or "grown-up" thing to do, but I have already paid next month's rent and I will easily have enough money to eat. I have some savings fortunately and I can always cut down on some superfluous spending. Definitely a bit insane, but nothing alarming here :D. I reiterate that I have never done this with any other game. There is something weird about HEX for me, where I absolutely need to be in the thick of things day one.

The hour is soon upon us. Enjoy, my American friends! I need to go to bed soon ;;_;;

But oh boy, when I wake up...

Ertzi
07-21-2015, 11:22 AM

Yeah, I bet the policies are quite different in different countries. I work in the health care field, and many clinics shut down for the summer for some reason, so there is very little work at the moment. I cannot normally do this either any time I want. I wish.

Zophie
07-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Most of my jobs have just said "Nope" and I went to work sad.

Hehe, to be honest most of the times I request days off in advance I always use some excuse like "doctor's appointment" or "parent teacher conference" or something, instead of admitting I just want to sit on my butt and play some new game that's launching ;)

Ertzi
07-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Hehe, to be honest most of the times I request days off in advance I always use some excuse like "doctor's appointment" or "parent teacher conference" or something, instead of admitting I just want to sit on my butt and play some new game that's launching ;)

Man, I feel like "parent teacher conference" would be a really convincing one, but I have no kids so I can't use that one :D

Because the situation is what it is at work and I have a really good relationship with my boss (have been in bars together etc. and we are almost the same age), I actually told her straight up that I want a vacation because I want to play a game. I thought long and hard if I wanted to give the actual reason, but decided to go for it. Still got the days off immediately. I always say to my friends, the pay sucks, but I love the job and my bosses. This is a huge deal for me. I will gladly earn less to be in a good environment with good vibes. I have been in awful ones as well, so I know what I am talking about.

magic_gazz
07-21-2015, 11:33 AM
Good luck, may all your rares (legendaries) be money.

TOOT
07-21-2015, 11:35 AM
Gave my babysitter an extra 15hrs this week to sit and watch the kid while I lock myself in my office playing Hex.

He'll understand some day. :)

wolzarg
07-21-2015, 11:44 AM
I wonder how many times cory has called in well. "No guys i promise the fever is gone... " "Come on i really can work today its much better than it sounds."

When set 5 draft testing just starts and he is really sick just comming in with a IV drip in his arm like its cool don't worry that IV is for esthetic purposes.

Xexist
07-21-2015, 03:10 PM
I took off two days last week in preparation for Hex launch :(. Now I have to save my vacation for family stuff. Maybe next launch we can launch on time so that I don't waste my days. Still excited and plan on playing all night though.

Hex is your family too :(

Xexist
07-21-2015, 03:14 PM
me and wifey:

http://i62.tinypic.com/2iaq790.jpg

Zophie
07-21-2015, 03:46 PM
me and wifey:
[snip]

"I take you, to be my lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for flooded, for screwed, in sickness and in Hex, until drafts do us part."

Xexist
07-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Dill death do us part * unless its a release weekend or important tournament then go away