PDA

View Full Version : Quick actions

bleeding_warrior
07-21-2015, 03:59 PM
Hi guys,

Just had a quick question with regards to rules: I was under the impression that quick actions can be played at any time... I wanted to play my quick action during the Declare Defender phase and before I actually declare my defending troop. Is that not possible?

Xenavire
07-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Hi guys,

Just had a quick question with regards to rules: I was under the impression that quick actions can be played at any time... I wanted to play my quick action during the Declare Defender phase and before I actually declare my defending troop. Is that not possible?

Some phases disable any form of action (because a choice has to be made before priority is available). I believe this is one of those times.

Rycajo
07-21-2015, 04:10 PM
I think you would need to play during the declare attackers phase, after attackers have been declared, but before you move into the declare defenders phase.

Man quick troops will be played during this time as well.

DanTheMeek
07-21-2015, 08:49 PM
More or less already answered, but just to confirm what was already said since there was a lot of "I believe" and "I think" verbage used, you are given the opportunity to use quick actions both before (in response to the aggressor declaring their attackers), and after (in response to your declaring your defenders), so if you have an action you wanted to play prior to declaring your defenders, you should have actually had the opportunity and just passed it, and if you want to play it after declaring defenders but before they actually are forced to defend, you are given that opportunity as well (assuming you haven't unchecked the phase stops priority window for Blockers)

The fact you can't play quick actions during the declaring defenders has absolutely thrown me off a few times, same with when declaring attackers, but I think its best to think of these not as phases (combat is the actual phase) but as a single action taking place during the combat phase (you declare all your attackers or all your defenders all at once, not one at a time) which both players are then given the opportunity to respond to after each player has decided whether or not they will, and if so, to what extent, perform such an action (declaring attackers or declaring defenders).

I have no idea if that actually added anything to the conversation, but as it was once something that confused me I felt compelled to try to clarify further.

Spiredore
07-21-2015, 11:40 PM
Just to extend on what Dan said the order of events is:

- Declare Attackers
- Declare Attackers Priority
- Declare Defenders
- Declare Defenders Priority

The 'Attackers' and 'Defenders' steps are special steps in which you can only specify troops which will attack or defend. The associated priority steps are provided to allow any actions players want to perform in association with them.

The OP who wants to play an action immediately before declaring defenders would have to do so during 'Declare Attackers Priority'. Likewise 'Declare Defenders Priority' allows you to chump block with a troop and then get one last use our of it's ability before it expires.

I'm not sure exactly how this interacts with the predefined stops, because they aren't all available. If you have potential actions it's always wise to step through combat step-by-step.