PDA

View Full Version : Gauntlet and the Release Celebration

ThomasHunter
07-21-2015, 06:27 PM
I think the announcement said you only had to finish during the celebration to receive the AA (and potentially the second AA if you go 5-0). Can anyone confirm seeing/reading/hearing this?

I'd like to start a Gauntlet, but would rather wait until the weekend to get credit for an AA.

Thanks!
Taleisin

d00dz
07-21-2015, 06:49 PM
Also curious about this as I was thinking the same thing.

Mahes
07-21-2015, 06:51 PM
So get up to 4 wins and wait for it too start ehh? I see how you work.

Zophie
07-21-2015, 07:03 PM
So get up to 4 wins and wait for it too start ehh? I see how you work.

Yup I was thinking the same thing, though somehow I think I'd be lucky just to get 4 even with a head start :)

Mejis
07-21-2015, 07:26 PM
Also curious to know.

But also related, how has gauntlet been in terms of users/wait times? Have people played a lot of games? I know it's early days with the patch only just hitting, but I'm hoping gauntlet will prove very popular.
I have a deck saved and ready for after work, but yes it'd be good to know if it's viable for this weekend or not.

DanTheMeek
07-21-2015, 08:04 PM
I really wish they'd have just started the celebration today, I'm not really sure why its not, I mean as long as it still goes through the weekend, whats the harm? As it is, I've held off on trying out gauntlet because it feels like a waste to use all those packs and or plat now when waiting a few days will get me at more, but I don't really understand why I have to wait at all, I'd rather be celebrating right now.

Saeijou
07-21-2015, 08:07 PM
Also curious to know.

But also related, how has gauntlet been in terms of users/wait times? Have people played a lot of games? I know it's early days with the patch only just hitting, but I'm hoping gauntlet will prove very popular.
I have a deck saved and ready for after work, but yes it'd be good to know if it's viable for this weekend or not.

my first to games started within a minute

Hemlock
07-21-2015, 08:59 PM
I really wish they'd have just started the celebration today, I'm not really sure why its not, I mean as long as it still goes through the weekend, whats the harm? As it is, I've held off on trying out gauntlet because it feels like a waste to use all those packs and or plat now when waiting a few days will get me at more, but I don't really understand why I have to wait at all, I'd rather be celebrating right now.

Mac folk still can't get on, and I'm sure there will be a few more kinks to work out in the next couple days. I think it makes sense to hold off on the celebration a bit, make sure things run smoothly.

Rycajo
07-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Mac folk still can't get on, and I'm sure there will be a few more kinks to work out in the next couple days. I think it makes sense to hold off on the celebration a bit, make sure things run smoothly.

Yeah, perhaps in a couple of years when they can really get on top of a patch and have it near perfect, then we can have release celebrations start the day of release.

DoctorJoe
07-22-2015, 03:32 AM
Sealed Gauntlet seemed very popular. I completed one (5 games) in a little over an hour. I was fortunate to open a solid pool and see good draws and went 5-0. I never waited more than two minutes for any of my matches.

Xexist
07-22-2015, 04:10 AM
Question about gauntlet. Can you run more than 1 concurrently?

ShadowRealm
07-22-2015, 04:53 AM
1 of each I think, but not 2 Sealed at the same time for example. They said it somewhere recently.

Mahes
07-22-2015, 05:35 AM
I want a best of three gauntlet. This format can hurt if you get resource screwed. I love the idea though of being able to come back and play whenever I want. It is very nice.

Saeijou
07-22-2015, 06:45 AM
Yup I was thinking the same thing, though somehow I think I'd be lucky just to get 4 even with a head start :)

you probably have to start a new run like for the 50% gold in arena ;) but you can try :D

ziggarius
07-22-2015, 06:54 AM
Pretty sure one of the devs somewhere said that Gauntlet has to be started and finished during the celebration weekend to be eligible for the AAs.

ThomasHunter
07-22-2015, 07:04 AM
Pretty sure one of the devs somewhere said that Gauntlet has to be started and finished during the celebration weekend to be eligible for the AAs.

That is the information I was hoping to glean. Can anyone confirm this?

ziggarius
07-22-2015, 08:02 AM
That is the information I was hoping to glean. Can anyone confirm this?

Link cause had a chance to search for it (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=44173&p=502202#post502202)

So, not quite the hard no that I recalled... but heavily implies that it's going to prevent this kind of abuse which only makes sense :p

knightofeffect
07-22-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure i would classify it as "abuse" or why it "makes sense" that starting a sealed gauntlet Thursday night and completing a 5 win run Friday is more worthy of the AA than a Friday-Saturday run.

The only thing I van think of is CZE is planning a major fix patch Friday morning to get rid of some of the bugs. If not, I can't think of a reason why the release celebration rewards haven't started already, let alone requiring the gauntlet to be completely run during the weekend window.

ziggarius
07-22-2015, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure i would classify it as "abuse" or why it "makes sense" that starting a sealed gauntlet Thursday night and completing a 5 win run Friday is more worthy of the AA than a Friday-Saturday run.

The only thing I van think of is CZE is planning a major fix patch Friday morning to get rid of some of the bugs. If not, I can't think of a reason why the release celebration rewards haven't started already, let alone requiring the gauntlet to be completely run during the weekend window.

Simply put you can run gauntlet multiple times now until you have a 4-0 record. Now you just have to win 1 game in 3 games to get the Duke. Where as everyone that starts during that weekend has to 5 games (if gauntlet), 6 games (if draft), and 6+ games (if scheduled sealed). That's a massive difference in the pressure/performance required to get an AA Duke.

That's the only reason why people are considering "priming" a gauntlet run before the released celebration to try and earn at least one Duke with as little effort as possible.

Yoss
07-22-2015, 11:47 AM
I don't see why HXE would want to stop people from spending plat on the game.

Aradon
07-22-2015, 11:51 AM
I imagine they wanted a safety net to fix emergency bugs before starting the celebrations. It's the face of Set 3 to a lot of people, their first interaction with the new set and possibly the game, and they didn't want to risk a botched start if they had to take the servers down for unexpected problems.

ylhos
07-24-2015, 07:53 AM
Any updates on this?

Xexist
07-24-2015, 08:03 AM
That's the only reason why people are considering "priming" a gauntlet run before the released celebration to try and earn at least one Duke with as little effort as possible.

Its certainly not the only reason. I have a limited amount of money and I would LOVE to start playing set 3 now, but instead I am waiting to blow money on the weekend.

ManofPeace
07-24-2015, 08:05 AM
https://twitter.com/HexTCG/status/624087398037651456
http://i.imgur.com/VInrJPn.png

Xexist
07-24-2015, 08:06 AM
https://twitter.com/HexTCG/status/624087398037651456
http://i.imgur.com/VInrJPn.png

Sad that it took THIS long to get a definitive answer. Thanks!

knightofeffect
07-24-2015, 08:10 AM
I guess they really want those gauntlets to fire fast this weekend :P.

ManofPeace
07-24-2015, 01:42 PM
People were actually able to start a Gauntlet run prior to the event and then complete it when the event was in effect to receive the Duke. Seems to be either an error in communication or coding.

Xexist
07-24-2015, 02:20 PM
People were actually able to start a Gauntlet run prior to the event and then complete it when the event was in effect to receive the Duke. Seems to be either an error in communication or coding.

Thats kinda lame.

I just started a Gauntlet and got a Bastardspawn, a Gronts gift, Tatiana, and Crocosaur.

I an not very good at sealed but somehow lucked out a first game win.

Do you have to win 5 with no losses to get the AA card or just win 5 before you get 3 losses?

Hieronymous
07-24-2015, 02:44 PM

I started a gauntlet run yesterday and finished it just now, 5-0, and didn't get any weekend rewards. I feel kinda cheated since 4 out of five of the fights were today.

N3rd4Christ
07-24-2015, 02:56 PM
I started a gauntlet run yesterday and finished it just now, 5-0, and didn't get any weekend rewards. I feel kinda cheated since 4 out of five of the fights were today.

How so? Release weekend started today. Must start and end during celebration

Hieronymous
07-24-2015, 03:01 PM
How so? Release weekend started today. Must start and end during celebration

Because the initial announcement was that you only had to finish during the celebration.

To win the Duplicitous Duke AA, you can meet one of the following criteria:
Gauntlet: Get 5 Wins in a single Sealed Gauntlet Run (you must finish a Gauntlet run during the event).

https://www.hextcg.com/release-celebration-july-17-20/
(emphasis added).

So based on what they said on their actual website I started a run before the event and finished it during. Then I find out afterwards that apparently while I was mid-run they changed their mind and only announced it on Twitter, which I don't use. It's not my fault that they explicitly told me the wrong thing.

Hieronymous
07-24-2015, 03:53 PM
Arg, nevermind, it was Constructed. And apparently constructed gauntlet doesn't get any rewards at all, so I've just wasted another run, plus all the money I spent putting a deck together (since VIP isn't constructed either). This just seems confusing and annoying all around. I guess it's my own fault for not reading the announcement closely enough to notice that constructed gauntlet wasn't mentioned, though.

Selanius
07-24-2015, 04:19 PM
I can confirm a record of 5-X received Sealed Gauntlet Duke.

dogmod
07-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Pretty sure HexEnt just said that so as to make people not feel bad for playing with their 4-x gauntlets during the precelebration time. Now it is just going to be a "bug" that you receive it even if you started before. I imagine it was going to be much harder to program a check for both a start and stop time/date for prizes.

Mahes
07-24-2015, 05:11 PM
I sure wish I could see a legendary card in a sealed gauntlet. So far I have done 5 with nada.

Zophie
07-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Pretty sure HexEnt just said that so as to make people not feel bad for playing with their 4-x gauntlets during the precelebration time.

Well now I don't feel bad for not having time to finish my 1-1 sealed gauntlet before celebration started, thought I was going to be wasting a bunch of time trying to finish it off first before I could do one that counts. So yeah, glad it worked out this way after all.

Xexist
07-24-2015, 05:34 PM
I sure wish I could see a legendary card in a sealed gauntlet. So far I have done 5 with nada.

You going to hate me but I've got 3 legends in 2 Sealed drafts

Xexist
07-24-2015, 05:36 PM
You going to hate me but I've got 3 legends in 2 Sealed drafts

Speaking of which. Is phen considered good in sealed?

Audens
07-24-2015, 06:46 PM
Speaking of which. Is phen considered good in sealed?

Phenteo? I would consider him to be a limited bomb for sure. Potentially worth building a deck around, depending on your pool.

Xexist
07-24-2015, 06:51 PM
Phenteo? I would consider him to be a limited bomb for sure. Potentially worth building a deck around, depending on your pool.

What about 2 Phenteos :p

silverlocke
07-24-2015, 06:57 PM
I drew 1 phenteo and the support card that doubles eggs in the opponents deck, plus 2 of the 0-2 priests that create eggs, plus a ton more spiders/eggs all in 1 gauntlet. Figured I'd try the spider spawning.

Game one I generated about 25 eggs in my opponents deck, I was defeated on turn 6, he didnt' draw any eggs.

Game 2 didn't draw any shards, loss.

Game 3 actually drew and played Phen, still lost on turn 7 to aggro, and wasn't able to actually use his ability since you have to wait a turn before you can use it.

Spiders not so great.

Selanius
07-24-2015, 07:02 PM
Meanwhile in my draft my opponent plays turn 3 Phenteo. I kill it as soon as I can but it gets an activation.

The next time I draw it puts 2 eggs into play clearing my board and swinging for almost lethal.

Incindium
07-24-2015, 07:24 PM
Hi Rook... if it makes you feel any better I lost in the finals due to my opponent being able to play Purge in both really close matches.

Selanius
07-24-2015, 07:38 PM
Nah, you built your deck well around the card. My issue isn't with you, its with the dumb card. HEX seems to embrace random variance a lot more than I'd prefer. Between the shard system, and high powered but very variable cards like Phenteo and Angel of Dawn they really seem to want matches to be randomly one-sided.

knightofeffect
07-24-2015, 10:44 PM
Nah, you built your deck well around the card. My issue isn't with you, its with the dumb card. HEX seems to embrace random variance a lot more than I'd prefer. Between the shard system, and high powered but very variable cards like Phenteo and Angel of Dawn they really seem to want matches to be randomly one-sided.

So I've thought about this a little bit as well, personally I have never been a fan of extreme RNG... one of the reasons i really hated AoD when I first read it. Just the idea of a card going from mediocre to completely busted based on RNG wasn't appealing. Now that I have seen it in action, I have completely come around. It is part of what has allowed HS to capture the minds of so many... that chance to hit the big one.

Yea, it sucks when it goes the other way, but psychologically we do a very good job of internalizing those as random fluctuations of dumb luck and that the loss wasn't really our fault cause there was nothing we could do about it; however, when we are on the good side of it, we are usually too busy celebrating to bother with such rationalizations.

And in the end I always try to bring it back to the RNG in poker. Is it any worse that someone re-boating my flush on the river? Is it worse than my two pair getting torn apart by someone setting the flop? Nope

Aradon
07-25-2015, 04:04 AM
I played the new Demon of Dusk in a gauntlet a few days ago. They topdecked the very first angel I put in their deck :P
I was probably going to lose that game anyways, though. The Demon was a desperate last measure.