PDA

View Full Version : Please do not give me same opponent in Gauntlet.

Altima
07-25-2015, 08:57 AM
This is just far too ridiculous. I have just lost to him after that I search match again immediately and you match me with him again instantly ?????

If there is no worthy opponent I better not play it instead of play it and lose change to get 5 win.

Yoss
07-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Agreed. Should not have to meet same player again, unless maybe with a "are you OK with this?" prompt.

limpit
07-25-2015, 09:24 AM
+1

Been on both sides of this and it just doesn't seem fair..

rjselzler
07-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Seconded. In the few dozen games I've played, about 25% were rematches within seconds. This actually led to a conversation with a really cool guy once, but the others were... awkward.

N3rd4Christ
07-25-2015, 09:57 AM
This is just far too ridiculous. I have just lost to him after that I search match again immediately and you match me with him again instantly ?????

If there is no worthy opponent I better not play it instead of play it and lose change to get 5 win.

Let me ask a question... If you had beat him multiple times would you still complain? It's bound to happen but if you had won would it still be an issue?

Aradon
07-25-2015, 10:02 AM
I literally handed one person all three of his losses once. It's not good. You shouldn't match with the same player multiple times.

dogmod
07-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Let me ask a question... If you had beat him multiple times would you still complain? It's bound to happen but if you had won would it still be an issue?

The point is that it is a good experience to win regardless of whether it is the same person or multiple people but there is a remarkable difference when losing to the same person repeatedly vs losing to different people. It is a negative play experience that should be avoided if possible.

poizonous
07-25-2015, 10:13 AM
I am kind of in agreement with this but i had met wolzarg two games in a row. He had a much better pool but i managed to win the second game we played each other. My main issue with this was the records. He was 3-2 while i was 1-2

Yoss
07-25-2015, 10:15 AM
I think they have the queue decay settings messed up. It should wait at least 60 seconds to find you a perfect match before dropping you down into a lower (more populous) queue, and it should then wait another 60 seconds before dropping you further down, and so on. And 60 seconds is probably still too short.

Refugee
07-25-2015, 10:20 AM
I literally handed one person all three of his losses once. It's not good. You shouldn't match with the same player multiple times.

Are you sure you didn't hand him 2 losses and 1 loss?

When I tested this on test server I wasn't able to get the same opponent 3 times in the same gauntlet (for both of us). I was however able to get an opponent twice, have him quit out of his gauntlet and start a new one and get him again, which of course gives him the chance to change decks if he wants.

Aradon
07-25-2015, 10:22 AM

When I tested this on test server I wasn't able to get the same opponent 3 times in the same gauntlet (for both of us). I was however able to get an opponent twice, have him quit out of his gauntlet and start a new one and get him again, which of course gives him the chance to change decks if he wants.

My memory's a bit weak on it, but I'm pretty sure it was the same deck 3 times. If I recall, it specifically had Chark in it all three times.

ossuary
07-25-2015, 11:01 AM
Agreed. You shouldn't be able to face the same opponent twice in a row for at LEAST a 10-15 minute period. I'd rather wait a bit longer than face the same guy twice in a row.

I have been on both sides of this. It's not fun to get 2 losses in a row to a bullshit nuts deck that's 3-0 and unbeatable when you've just started a possibly crappy pool yourself, and it's equally unfun to roflstomp some poor newbie with your own god deck. The last match of a tournament should feel epic, not "oh, this poor guy, this is no contest." That doesn't embody the spirit of competition at all.

HitoZ
07-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Just to make this clear, are you talking about Sealed Gauntlet? If so, getting matched against the same person is in line with HEXs design, since you have the ability to change your deck between matches. If it's in Constructed Gauntlet, that shouldn't happen as per their design idea.

I understand you though, it's not fun playing against the same opponent doesn't matter if you win/lose. You can even think about it as gladiator's arena, if you defeat an opponent you sure as heck ain't seeing him anymore.

Tarquin
07-25-2015, 11:58 AM
Just to make this clear, are you talking about Sealed Gauntlet? If so, getting matched against the same person is in line with HEXs design, since you have the ability to change your deck between matches. If it's in Constructed Gauntlet, that shouldn't happen as per their design idea.

I understand you though, it's not fun playing against the same opponent doesn't matter if you win/lose. You can even think about it as gladiator's arena, if you defeat an opponent you sure as heck ain't seeing him anymore.

A 5 minute delay between fighting the same opponent in gauntlet would go a long way imho

incitfulmonk21
07-25-2015, 12:02 PM
I am actually really surprised they would let this through that way. It is not fun to be on any side of playing the same opponent. I must say I support a change to at least making it so you can't play the same opponent twice in x>15 minutes.

Karnegal
07-25-2015, 01:07 PM
This is a godawful feature.

Mahes
07-25-2015, 01:12 PM
I was also surprised to see the same person I had just played. I did not think that was in the system, but I guess it is. I can certainly understand not wanting to reface the same person again. Fortunately we each won one instead of one dominating the other. Once that happened, I stopped playing until later, as I really did not want to see the same person a third time.

GhundiPI
07-25-2015, 01:19 PM
In the meantime I generally manage to solve it by waiting a random time between matches. I'll just go read some sites, bio break, pester my cats, or do something else for a few minutes. It seems to help. But then this weekend is busy so not sure how well that will work during quieter times.

Miwa
07-25-2015, 02:19 PM
I'd rather wait infinitely in queue rather than facing a deck that has a different record than mine. Easily my biggest beef with Gauntlet. (and to a lesser degree how they do swiss pairing in other tournaments)

regomar
07-25-2015, 06:57 PM
Agreed. You shouldn't be able to face the same opponent twice in a row for at LEAST a 10-15 minute period. I'd rather wait a bit longer than face the same guy twice in a row.

THIS. It's astonishing that gauntlet even went live allowing for things like this to happen. So far I've pretty much been forced to stop playing for a while for fear of facing the same match multiple times. Does the matching algorithm even TRY to match people based on win/loss ratios? It doesn't feel like it does...

Selanius
07-25-2015, 07:50 PM
I can't help but feel there aren't matchmaking settings on the Gauntlet right now. I've been matched against a guy that was 0-2 while I was 4-0. I've been matched against the same player three times in a row. I've been unable to be matched at all due to an error. Right now the matchmaking system is either awful or (more likely) doesn't exist.

renword
07-25-2015, 08:19 PM
I was matched against a 3-1 while I was 4-2... I didn't win :(

~5 second queue time

Zurai
07-25-2015, 10:46 PM

In the very first Constructed Gauntlet I played, before the release celebration even started, I was matched against Technophi for my first three matches, and given the speed with which the second and third matches started I don't believe he could have jumped into a brand new constructed gauntlet and still matched with me. He spanked me hard the first two games then graciously conceded and left the queue alone for a little while after the third game so I could play against a deck which didn't hard counter mine.

Boogaloo
07-26-2015, 12:43 AM
Yeah, please stop doing this - it's not fun getting thrown out of gauntlet by being paired against the same god tier deck repeatedly. I had that happen to me twice today.

Caldera
07-26-2015, 07:11 AM
+1, should be changed. I would rather wait a few minutes extra between games than play the same person multiple times (and rather than playing someone with a dramatically different record, for that matter).

CaravelBoomer
07-26-2015, 07:27 AM
I just had this twice in the same Gauntlet

Met the same guy at 0-1 and 1-1 (Handed him 2 losses to send him 0-3) and also met the same guy at 2-1 as I did as 3-2 (1-1)

It should really be "emergency no opponents only" to get paired vs the same guy twice, especially in a field of supposedly around 750 players

TJTaylor
07-26-2015, 08:14 AM
This just happened to me recently. It shouldn't happen at all. Getting paired against your deck's Achilles heel multiple times in succession is a negative play experience, especially since the matches aren't best of three to use sideboard and have a fighting chance.

ghulzen
07-26-2015, 09:44 AM
As it stands now I feel it's best not to play games in close proximity (assuming you just lost). Either the pools are too small (constructed atm) or the match-making is poor.

Oli
07-26-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm really not a good player, but I went 0-3 two times, and at least I hoped at 0-2 the matches should be a bit more easy if I get paired with other 0-2 or similar people.
Also the waiting time was always about 5 seconds, so IMHO the matchmaker thought I had a valid opponent...

Mahes
07-26-2015, 11:39 AM
THIS. It's astonishing that gauntlet even went live allowing for things like this to happen. So far I've pretty much been forced to stop playing for a while for fear of facing the same match multiple times. Does the matching algorithm even TRY to match people based on win/loss ratios? It doesn't feel like it does...

No it doesn't and honestly I am not sure it can. A player that was 4-1 could wait hours for another player that was also 4-1. Maybe consider a range that revolves around losses based on games played. A person just starting might take on a 1-0, 1-1, or 0-1 as just a base example. I am sure there is a formula that could be worked out that is better than a 0-2 person taking on a 4-0 person. I know if I were 0-2, I would just rather wait than play a 4-0.

Xexist
07-26-2015, 11:46 AM
No it doesn't and honestly I am not sure it can. A player that was 4-1 could wait hours for another player that was also 4-1. Maybe consider a range that revolves around losses based on games played. A person just starting might take on a 1-0, 1-1, or 0-1 as just a base example. I am sure there is a formula that could be worked out that is better than a 0-2 person taking on a 4-0 person. I know if I were 0-2, I would just rather wait than play a 4-0.

The point is it could 'try'. Every minute with no match, the restrictions could get less and less lenient.

TJTaylor
07-26-2015, 12:17 PM

For me, getting matched against someone with an equal record is not important. Just because they are 4-1 or whatever doesn't mean I'm not going to beat them just because my record is less. But the system should never match two players running the same sealed gauntlet deck more than once. It should prevent that second pairing from happening until one of those two players enters a new deck into the gauntlet. MTGO's leagues prevented duplicate pairings years ago, when they were still a thing. Granted, leagues were self contained, while gauntlet has people coming and going with new entries, but I'm sure the smart folks over at HXE could come up with an elegant solution to make this happen.

wolzarg
07-26-2015, 06:44 PM
I think I'm 1-1 1-1 2-0 in these situations but every single time it was horrible. I beat a guy with a much better deck than mine on the second run which made me feel all kinds of bad. Beating on someone repeatedly is still the worst, it makes people so sad and understandable so. I have yet to lose twice to the same deck&person in a row but i would be salty as the dead sea.

poizonous
07-26-2015, 08:02 PM
well i just did a constructed gauntlet a little earlier and i felt bad for the guy i met 3 times in a row. all instant match finds also

Miwa
07-26-2015, 08:55 PM
I'd rather just wait forever for a proper opponent if I had to. It doesn't much matter if you are 4-1, but when you are 0-1, or 0-2, you'd really like all the opportunity you can get to get a pack for your 200 plat.