PDA

View Full Version : A Break - The Chasm May Be Too Large

ThomasHunter
07-27-2015, 09:41 AM
For many years, I have played and enjoyed MtG. I started when IA was released and have played regularly online since that was possible. I have played in too many straight MtG prereleases to count (transitioning to only online play).

This weekend, was the crack in the ice. I didn't play in the MtG prerelease. At all. Instead, I played a whole lot of Hex this past weekend. I fully planned and budgeted $25 for each game, but when push came to shove, the chasm between the two games now appears too wide. Over the last year, as Hex has grown and captured my attention, gaming time, and gaming budget more and more, MOL has continued to slide to a distant second (third if you include DDO which is the other game I play a lot of). I would categorize this as a combination of bad decisions (I've outlined some of this in previous posts) by the MtG team and simply Hex becoming what I had hoped and imagined when I kickstarted it a couple of years ago.

I'm simply amazed.

I told my wife that I think this was the official beginning of the end of me playing MOL. I simply enjoy Hex so much more. Rather than another "here's what I don't like about that other game", I thought a "short" list of what I love about Hex that keeps me coming back - and spending money - would be more fun:
I can be creative (for not being a creative guy) by building wacky decks to take into the Arena (and "soon" dungeons). I have Gems that make my guys different. I have equipment that makes my decks play out differently.

I can be creative (for not being a creative guy) by building wacky decks to take into the Arena (and "soon" dungeons!)
I have Gems that make my guys different.
I have equipment that makes my decks play out differently.
I can earn gold and loot and use what I loot just like a MMO!
Opening chests for more loot.
Starting to see the enjoyment of random for a dTCG (that 2 ruby constant from the Arena got me into this and spiders will continue to intrigue me).
The Gauntlet - simply the BEST pack cracking opportunity ever. Like a league which I love!
Extended art which I can earn (albeit too slowly for me).
The Arena.
A GREAT community with lively forums (THIS point cannot be undersold IMHO).

So, thanks to Cory and team for making this game great and continuing the quest to make it even better. I simply cannot get enough. I log and play almost daily. I don't remember the last time I logged into that other game. Heh.

Happy gaming all and looking forward to another packed Hex week with The Convocation!
Taleisin

Saeijou
07-27-2015, 09:45 AM
Praise the dragons! :)

Xexist
07-27-2015, 09:48 AM
HALLELUJAH!

I love seeing people who love Hex as much as I do.

How the heck do you stretch $25 to get you very far? Ive dropped hundred on this game since kickstarter, and I must be the only Grand King who still isnt close to finishing set 1 lol

ThomasHunter
07-27-2015, 09:54 AM
I have a limited gaming budget and I have about $25 set aside for each release - at least initially. For the celebration events. For set three, this also included my 15 packs from my DC, so a bit less than I might do. This will ramp up over time I'm guessing. I still have to set aside so much for each set though. :cool:

Xexist
07-27-2015, 09:55 AM
I have a limited gaming budget and I have about $25 set aside for each release - at least initially. For the celebration events. For set three, this also included my 15 packs from my DC, so a bit less than I might do. This will ramp up over time I'm guessing. I still have to set aside so much for each set though. :cool:

We should be friends.

nicosharp
07-27-2015, 09:56 AM
That is awesome Talesin. We are in the same boat! While I joined the hype train when there were only few aboard, I stayed on through the lulls. Walking away from the other similar games, even before alpha HEX hit the table.

The set 3 patch, and this weekend really solidified the decision for me as well. I'm amazed with the current sealed limited experience, but also a bit concerned with how quickly my plat was flying out of my account. I guess that Auction House game is something I need to get good at.

Xexist
07-27-2015, 10:03 AM
Ta bit concerned with how quickly my plat was flying out of my account.

a) THIS. So much.

B) I had never really 'lost' confidence in hex to begin with, but I certainly dont agree with every decision made, and It was a little concerning the amount of bugs and things going wrong all the time. BUT.. this release was amazing! Unless my memory is messing with me, this Set 3 patch is light years better than set 2 release, as far as bugs and whatnot are concerned. Sure there was still hiccups but even some of those have been patched already! F*** I love this game :)

B.2) The point of B was to ultimately say. I am so confident now that I am going to love PVE when it drops, I JUST. CANT. WAIT.

rjselzler
07-27-2015, 10:04 AM
That is awesome Talesin. We are in the same boat! While I joined the hype train when there were only few aboard, I stayed on through the lulls. Walking away from the other similar games, even before alpha HEX hit the table.

The set 3 patch, and this weekend really solidified the decision for me as well. I'm amazed with the current sealed limited experience, but also a bit concerned with how quickly my plat was flying out of my account. I guess that Auction House game is something I need to get good at.

Agree with OP and Nico. Gaunlet has pretty much sealed the deal for me PvP-wise. In fact, Nico wrecked me with windmill-slam-Soul-of-Battle shenanigans not once but TWICE in gauntlet last night! What did I do? Fire up another, of course... :D

Soonish dungeons will seal the deal PvE-wise, I hope, then Hex will effectively replace both my TCG and MMO needs in one neat package. Kickstarting this game is shaping up to be the best gaming decision I've ever made. Kudos to the team!

nicosharp
07-27-2015, 10:13 AM
Agree with OP and Nico. Gaunlet has pretty much sealed the deal for me PvP-wise. In fact, Nico wrecked me with windmill-slam-Soul-of-Battle shenanigans not once but TWICE in gauntlet last night! What did I do? Fire up another, of course... :D

Soonish dungeons will seal the deal PvE-wise, I hope, then Hex will effectively replace both my TCG and MMO needs in one neat package. Kickstarting this game is shaping up to be the best gaming decision I've ever made. Kudos to the team!

Sorry you were on the receiving end Selz... I had an amazing run this weekend, regardless of the plat lost. And feel like I have really figured out the limited experience so far. Which is good to be ahead of the curve early, cause when others catch up, it's gonna be a rough battle.

I think my Soul of Battle win against you though, was only a 1-of, and I played a completely different deck against you the other time. I distinctly remember that game. I had a lot of tricks early. That was my first soul of battle pool.

ThomasHunter
07-27-2015, 10:21 AM
We should be friends.

Certainly!:D

A couple of points for Nico:

I always remember you when the game was kickstarted and I was potentially interested in a guild. Yours sounded like a good fit!
Boy, the AH Game. Yeah, I know my limits here and that would be too much for me unfortunately.

Here's how I currently play - What I open or loot, that is what I use. I haven't traded or gone on the AH (yet). I think as I decide on something specific, I can see myself using the AH or trying to trade.

At this point, I have so much duplicate equipment that I wish I knew how to give it away in an easy manner to folks who want it.

ksetrat
07-27-2015, 10:24 AM
(snip)
Ive dropped hundred on this game since kickstarter, and I must be the only Grand King who still isnt close to finishing set 1 lol

Xexist, you aren't alone on that. quite a bit behind as well, i still have 50 packs of set 1 and 2 laying around though.

To ThomasHunter;
Glad to hear about people excited for the game. I've been playing for a while now, i got a few friends into it, but we haven't been able to square off against each other yet. We did do one draft with the 4 of us, was quite enjoyable since we didn't do the competitive one.

Best of luck to ya in your future endeavors!

nicosharp
07-27-2015, 10:27 AM
If you ever want to join in the future - you are welcomed to. We are getting a pretty robust group of actives now with the new set release, and seem to have 8-10 people in the same ventrilo chat most nights.
Looking forward to the next content patch, hoping Guilds get some features and love with the PvE roll-out.

rjselzler
07-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Sorry you were on the receiving end Selz... I had an amazing run this weekend, regardless of the plat lost. And feel like I have really figured out the limited experience so far. Which is good to be ahead of the curve early, cause when others catch up, it's gonna be a rough battle.

I think my Soul of Battle win against you though, was only a 1-of, and I played a completely different deck against you the other time. I distinctly remember that game. I had a lot of tricks early. That was my first soul of battle pool.

Either way, it was an awesome blowout! Sealed gauntlet is becoming my favorite format, even if I lose. :D

wang801
07-27-2015, 11:25 AM
if i can marry hex i would!!! just saying

IGN:CEBU

Svenn
07-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Ive dropped hundred on this game since kickstarter, and I must be the only Grand King who still isnt close to finishing set 1 lol

I'm still not done Set 1, technically. It was just recently though that I rounded out my last several legendaries. The only thing I have left for Set 1 now is 1 Uruunaz, which I should get from the Dragon's Blood starter when we get those. ;)

Set 2 I'm still missing about 50 cards.

Gwaer
07-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Welcome to the fold, brother.

NOBLEStarshield
07-27-2015, 02:19 PM
For many years, I have played and enjoyed MtG. I started when IA was released and have played regularly online since that was possible. I have played in too many straight MtG prereleases to count (transitioning to only online play).

This weekend, was the crack in the ice. I didn't play in the MtG prerelease. At all. Instead, I played a whole lot of Hex this past weekend. I fully planned and budgeted $25 for each game, but when push came to shove, the chasm between the two games now appears too wide. Over the last year, as Hex has grown and captured my attention, gaming time, and gaming budget more and more, MOL has continued to slide to a distant second (third if you include DDO which is the other game I play a lot of). I would categorize this as a combination of bad decisions (I've outlined some of this in previous posts) by the MtG team and simply Hex becoming what I had hoped and imagined when I kickstarted it a couple of years ago.

I'm simply amazed.

I told my wife that I think this was the official beginning of the end of me playing MOL. I simply enjoy Hex so much more. Rather than another "here's what I don't like about that other game", I thought a "short" list of what I love about Hex that keeps me coming back - and spending money - would be more fun:
I can be creative (for not being a creative guy) by building wacky decks to take into the Arena (and "soon" dungeons). I have Gems that make my guys different. I have equipment that makes my decks play out differently.

I can be creative (for not being a creative guy) by building wacky decks to take into the Arena (and "soon" dungeons!)
I have Gems that make my guys different.
I have equipment that makes my decks play out differently.
I can earn gold and loot and use what I loot just like a MMO!
Opening chests for more loot.
Starting to see the enjoyment of random for a dTCG (that 2 ruby constant from the Arena got me into this and spiders will continue to intrigue me).
The Gauntlet - simply the BEST pack cracking opportunity ever. Like a league which I love!
Extended art which I can earn (albeit too slowly for me).
The Arena.
A GREAT community with lively forums (THIS point cannot be undersold IMHO).

So, thanks to Cory and team for making this game great and continuing the quest to make it even better. I simply cannot get enough. I log and play almost daily. I don't remember the last time I logged into that other game. Heh.

Happy gaming all and looking forward to another packed Hex week with The Convocation!
Taleisin

Thank you for taking the time to post on the forums. I thoroughly enjoyed your post and am excited for the future of the game and for more posts like these. <3 If you ever need any help the NOBLEs are in game to help out.

Mejis
07-27-2015, 03:35 PM
+1 to the OP and all the comments here.

I just love HEX. There is nothing else I want to play.
The only thing I need to be careful of is balancing how much plat is flying out of my account and spending time to recoup that on the AH. As it stands, gauntlet sealed has rocketed me into PvP proper (as someone whom has little time for drafting unfortunately).
I just cracked another sealed before work and now I get to spend the day thinking about what deck is going to be optimal. I.e. pure joy!

xou
07-29-2015, 02:35 AM
great post ThomasHunter! I REALLY want to see more of this kind to show my non-believer friends who continues to play that other game. they simply don't know what they are missing! :cool:

Mejis
07-29-2015, 02:55 AM
great post ThomasHunter! I REALLY want to see more of this kind to show my non-believer friends who continues to play that other game. they simply don't know what they are missing! :cool:

So much this. I rant and rave about HEX, but one of my good friends continues to be smitten by HS (urgh) as well as occasionally that other game.
I just wish that I could get him into drafting or gauntlet sealed. He just refuses to put any money down and won't play PvE until the AI provides him a challenge and doesn't issue misplays that for some reason he doesn't seem to understand is an evolving work in progress.

DoctorJoe
07-29-2015, 04:19 AM
The good news is that it is really easy to cash out of MTGO. I cashed out a little over a year ago. Would definitely do it again except for the fact that I would have to get back into MTGO and that isn't happening.

MatWith1T
07-29-2015, 08:05 AM
One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble! Gooble gobble!

magic1313
07-29-2015, 10:52 AM
The best part is Hex hasn't even scratched the surface of what it will be. The Team works so hard, there is no doubt that this game will be exponentially better as the new content gets released.