PDA

View Full Version : DCDBG Tournament Style Play

unLimitedEnds
07-28-2015, 10:41 PM
Anyone run some DC DBG tournaments and have tips on how to run one for 7 or 8 people?

I'm thinking running two pods of four, each pod playing two sets each (the same two sets), and totaling the point total across two games. The winner of each pod (highest totals) will face each other in Batman vs. Joker to determine the victor!

What do you guys think? Any ideas to throw in?

Jay
08-17-2015, 03:37 PM
I have only played DC a couple of times, but I am participating in a Naruto DB tournament over Labor Day weekend and was thinking about the fairest way to run a tournament. As I said, I only played DC a couple of times and am not too familiar with the character abilities, but after playing Naruto some of the characters seem more powerful than others (i.e., they are not balanced).
To make the tournament as fair as possible, or at least more rooted in skill than luck, I was thinking it would be best to have participants in a pod bid points for character selection. I am not sure how applicable this would be with DC, but I thought I would throw that out there.

As far as your round structure for 7 or 8 people, I would suggest changing pods/players after the first round. One reason I like playing in tournaments is because I like playing different/new people. After the first round, put 1st and 3rd from table with 2nd and 4th from the other table. Then take the highest totals (either top 2 or top 4) into a finals game.

BenJazz
08-17-2015, 05:09 PM
I have run a couple of DC tournaments and the style that the participants seem to like is:

1) Pod system of 3 or 4 players (4 preferable) with shuffling of players between rounds (to switch up game-play and competition).
2) Randomly select the first player. First player eliminates an over-sized character, then each player clockwise does same until all have eliminated 1. With the last player to eliminate an oversized character, each player selects counter-clockwise the over-sized character they will use for the round (first player picking last). First player starts the game as normal (ingore the Flash going first).
3) After round is finished, tally VP and S-V defeated for each player. Assign Tournament Points to players based on their placement in their pod (1st - 5 TP, 2nd - 3 TP, 3rd & 4th - 1 TP).
4) If all but one pod is done with the round. Institute a 10 minute timer for the game. This keeps the event moving and prevents people from getting antsy. Rounds should take roughly an hour so factor that into the timing of your event.
5) Don't run a special round just for the winner unless there are more than 3 rounds of play. Just run an extra round the same way you have done it already. Players don't like to wait while someone else is decided as winner. Keep momentum up and the opportunity for an underdog win.
6) At the end of the tournament, player with the highest TP's wins. If tie, player with most S-V defeated throughout the tournament wins. If still tie, Head-to-Head Victory in rounds decides winner (if applicable).
7) You are the final authority on rulings and outcomes. Make sure you know the sets you are playing with enough to clarify any questions or rulings that players may have. Be sure to remain unbiased to the players so there are no thoughts of favoritism.
8) Make sure you explain all of the rules to everyone! Don't lend yourself to players making assumptions about how the tournament will run, otherwise they may not be happy with how the event was actually run and may not participate in future events.

Hope these help. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

unLimitedEnds
08-21-2015, 06:18 PM
I really like the system for the Tournament points, it's a better system for the other players to get back into the game.

Just an update: I ran the first tournament at my place the other day. I used the original system I had in place (you guys didn't post yet with your awesome suggestions!) and it was pretty lopsided for the winner (since I had the players total their victory points across the games). It was a little underwhelming, but I think the second one will run a lot better!

Keep posting suggestions, I'd love to run a variety of different kinds of tournaments.