PDA

View Full Version : Set 3 Drafting for Dummies: Anana

hitchslap88
07-29-2015, 10:06 AM
When drafting, sometimes it is beneficial to choose cards that synergize with a particular champion.

The following is a list of cards, organized by shard and rarity, that synergize to some degree with Anana's charge power: "BASIC [B/D]:3-Target troop you control gets 'When this dies, create a Phantom and put it into play.'" With the right cards, Anana can be a powerful champion, due to her ability to flood her side of the board with Phantoms which she can use for various purposes.

RARE
-Blood
Disciple of Yazukan
Noxious Glory
Gront's Gift
Necrophet
-Diamond
Martyr
Iljun's Parade
Blessing of Unicorns
-Blood/Diamond
Angel of Judgement
-Artifact
Scroll of Yazukan
Scrapyard Magnetron

Uncommon
-Blood
Emperor's Lackey
Warlock of Aettir
Profane Ritualist
-Diamond
Inflict Doubt
Neophyte Awakener
-Blood/Diamon
Grim Harvester
-Artifact
Scrapyard Bruiser

Common
-Blood
Abominate
Sudden Awakening
Bloat Cap
Merciless Culler
-Diamond
Spiritbound Spy*
Ethereal Caller*
Cry of Adamanth
-Artifact
Mecha Filk Ape

*these are the commons you really want.

As you can see, most of the cards involve "on death" effects or benefit from/cause the death of your own creatures. Anana is dominant when she can reuse creatures on whom she's used her charge power by constantly bringing them back from the graveyard, most commonly through the use of Ethereal Caller. The horde of Phantoms she collects can act as chump blockers, evasive attackers, and/or sacrifice fodder for cards such as Emperor's Lackey and Warlock of Aettir.

You should consider tailoring your draft to build an Anana deck after you choose a few of the rares or uncommons listed here during the first pack or if you notice that there are a plethora of listed commons being passed to you near the end of the first pack. This indicates that most likely no one else is building an Anana deck, giving you access to more of these cards in packs two and three.

Read below for more advice on this topic. Good luck drafting Anana, and if you do, make sure you watch your battle chat for, "so many Phantoms..." I know I've typed this more than once.

Alamand
07-29-2015, 03:00 PM
I feel like there aren't enough *s by spiritbound spies, they're really incredibly broken with both madam anana's charge power as well as shifting and buffing them and bringing them back.

Though one thing I think you missed that has been key to my Anana drafts are shadowblade assassins, their shift power combos incredibly well with both the multiple swiftstrike troops you can get fairly easily as well as spiritbound spies and bloatcaps to create much more effective chump blockers That can still be brought back by ethereal callers to chump block with lethal again.

The more shift-centric style my Anana decks tend to take also makes creepy conspirators good to pick up to spread more shift powers around, revert troops revived by ethereal callers, or just to revert heavily buffed opposing troops.

Yoss
07-30-2015, 07:45 AM
These strategy articles really belong in the Strategy forum.

hitchslap88
07-30-2015, 08:04 AM
Yeah, I thought of that after the fact. So used to posting in General. I'll post the others in strategy from now on.

Fred
07-30-2015, 09:09 AM
You should remove Blessing of Unicorns from the list of cards that synergize well with Madam Anana. Blessing of Unicorns barely ever die, it usually goes back into your hand, which doesn't trigger Anana's buff.

poizonous
07-30-2015, 09:26 AM
You should remove Blessing of Unicorns from the list of cards that synergize well with Madam Anana. Blessing of Unicorns barely ever die, it usually goes back into your hand, which doesn't trigger Anana's buff.

They synergize well with Blessing of Unicorns by being on other troops and keeping Unicorn on the field by always having other troops on the field

Zurai
07-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Yeah, Blessing is great in Anana decks because you've always got multiple phantoms floating around.

That said, I disagree that Ethereal Caller and Neophyte Awakener are all that special in Anana decks. I don't even bother with Awakeners and I don't pick Callers very highly. Callers are nice for getting you a couple spare phantoms, but since I also don't pick shift troops highly in Anana decks, that's all they do.

What I focus on for these decks is cards which like to die (Spiritbound Spy, Bloatcap, Disciple of Yazukan, etc) and cards which like when other cards die (Emperor's Lacky, Profane Ritualist, Scroll of Yazukan, Grim Harvester, etc). Abominate is an absurdly useful card in the archetype; if you go turn 1 Spy, turn 2 Bloatcap, turn 3 charge Bloatcap then Abominate Bloatcap onto Spy you've got a turn 3 4/4 who turns into a 4/4 flier when he dies. Oh, and the opponent has to discard a card.

By the way, I don't focus too much on shift troops because I prefer to use Emperor's Lackeys as the backbone of my ground attack and they're really, really bad shift targets. Either you never use their power after shifting onto them and they die, or you use their power and they lose the shifted power. Either's pretty bad value.

Another thing to consider with Anana decks is that you're in diamond, which means access to Shardcall, which means it's easy to splash ruby for Pyresoul Summoners if they get passed to you. The card is good enough to splash for, although I wouldn't put pretty much any other ruby card in the deck except maybe Soul of Battle.

hitchslap88
08-02-2015, 01:40 PM
I wonder... what's the point in a draft where you decide to go Ovo vs Anana?

poizonous
08-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Ovo is only used if you have a lot of shifters. Anana is used is most situations especially if you pick up 2-3 spys

Audens
08-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Ovo is only used if you have a lot of shifters. Anana is used is most situations especially if you pick up 2-3 spys

Ovo is also useful in certain recursion scenarios if you have the right cards (Ethereal Caller, Gront's Gift, etc.).