PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Shapeshifting and Illusion cards

Airyuu
07-31-2015, 02:13 AM
I was thinking of some cards that can make use of the digital nature of Hex. First of all, shapeshifting cards.

This idea is cards that have two, or more, forms. The forms can have different traits and perhaps skills to make shifting between them have strategic value. It could be as simple as... a turtle with another 'form' of being inside it's shell, with a boost to defense, but no attack.

To get more complicated, lets invent a card named "Unstable Shapeshifter." This character can be either an elephant, a dragon, or a sheep. But isn't controllable, at the start of your turn, he swaps randomly. So you either get an okay card, a great card or a useless card.

I'm aware that Magic has some werewolf cards like this (perhaps others? I haven't followed it in a while) but hex's digital nature means the idea can be taken a lot farther.

This leads us to an idea that can only be done effectively in a digital card game, illusion cards. It can be either a spell used on a card, or cards themselves that have the power.

Say you have a guy named Illusionist. His power is 'when you play him, he may appear to be any other troop in your deck.' So maybe he's a 1/1 guy, but they think he's a Urunaaz and thus are holding off on attacking. Obviously there may be different casting costs. But does everyone always pay attention to that? Similarly, maybe you have an illusion card that lets you disguise a card in your hand. They think you've got a Charge Bot, but you've really got a Mecha T-Hex waiting to attack when they don't keep any blockers free. I imagine any illusions would be dispelled once the card does something, activates an ability, attacks, blocks, ect.

A last idea is casting an illusion spell on one of your troops. So it looks like there's three of them. Your opponent can't tell them apart. And the cards can be used to attack, and will display the animation and such, but no damage is done. If they all attacked at once you couldn't tell which one did the damage. But perhaps illusions can't block.

Anyway, this is just the basis for a couple of abilities that I think could be put to interesting use in this game.

BenRGamer
07-31-2015, 09:02 AM
Cards can already shapeshift with the transform mechanic--there's even an existing shapeshifter in the Wolsy Wabbit

That said. I do like the idea of illusions. At least, the latter one. The former is too confusing for some players. Though them not being able to block wouldn't work--it'd show up on the card and let the opponent know.

I figure there'd be a rare troop that creates two illusions of itself when it attacks (that also attack with it) that get voided at the end of the combat phase, and a legendary basic or quick action that gave a set of non-expiring illusions to a troop (that void when they block/are blocked as they're dispelled).

hitchslap88
07-31-2015, 10:58 AM
If illusion cards worked the way you described, people would start paying attention to casting costs. instead you could have it come into play disguised as a random troop of the same shards and cost. I like the dragon/sheep idea. They already have cards that transform into other cards based off of % chance.

Ertzi
07-31-2015, 11:53 AM
Illusion troops that appear as different troops for the opponent is a cool idea! Might be frustrating in tournaments though, but I personally like it. You would have to gamble and hope the troop was actually something weaker when blocking for example. Very interesting concept.

Mejis
07-31-2015, 10:19 PM
Illusion troops that appear as different troops for the opponent is a cool idea! Might be frustrating in tournaments though, but I personally like it. You would have to gamble and hope the troop was actually something weaker when blocking for example. Very interesting concept.

Yep. Agreed. Quite a cool concept. Might make for a fun dungeon opponent concept too.