PDA

View Full Version : Server Restart Warning

Lafoote
08-01-2015, 10:04 AM
I know you guys are new to the MMO business. Today's server restart was absolutely necessary. However, the handling of it was somewhat poor.

An announcement stating either what time, or in how many minutes the servers will come down is greatly preferred to servers coming down 'soon,' with the servers going dead 3 minutes later. A minimum of 15 minutes lead time is generally enough to allow everyone to wrap up what they're doing and log out for the expected restart.

While such measures are not strictly necessary, they are a minimum courtesy and are greatly appreciated.

Viziroth
08-01-2015, 10:53 AM
The reason for the sudden restart is likely due to the vocal majority of people in the client weren't even able to play, thus not even being able to finish what they were doing if 15 minutes were provided.

darkwonders
08-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Also, for anyone int a tournament, they said they would reimburse, so nothing was really lost.

NyXDaE
08-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Regardless of how important it was to restart the server, Lafoote is correct in that most server restart warnings in games provide a clear window for how long people have to log off, providing a notice for "15 minutes left", etc. It's standard.

It was probably an oversight it was not included this time, but it is good to mention it as a reminder.

zadies
08-02-2015, 10:42 AM
No it wouldn't have helped at all given the restart didn't actually shut down the client it just shut down games in progress that weren't going to be able to finish even if they had been given 15 mins because the reason for the restart was that you couldn't play a card in five mins anyway.

NyXDaE
08-02-2015, 11:08 AM
No it wouldn't have helped at all given the restart didn't actually shut down the client it just shut down games in progress that weren't going to be able to finish even if they had been given 15 mins because the reason for the restart was that you couldn't play a card in five mins anyway.

Since the only way to see the tournament number you are in is the leave the game and see the lobby - people needed more than 3 minutes to see what their tournament number was (quit out, etc), in order to place the ticket.

For people in arena, more time could have been used to finish up current matches to save current progress.

zadies
08-02-2015, 11:15 AM
I think you are missing the point that it would take a large majority of the players more then 15 mins to possibly have finished a game. the 3 min warning was more then enough time for a player to concede to see the tournament number given they were told with it they would get a refund ticket anyone who was so focused on needing to finish their current game to realize this is really the one at fault. You are assuming the game actually needed to be completed for them to get the number, it did not need to be played to completion and attempting to do so under the conditions that were going on would have taken way more then 15 mins.

NyXDaE
08-02-2015, 12:05 PM
I think you are missing the point that it would take a large majority of the players more then 15 mins to possibly have finished a game. the 3 min warning was more then enough time for a player to concede to see the tournament number given they were told with it they would get a refund ticket anyone who was so focused on needing to finish their current game to realize this is really the one at fault. You are assuming the game actually needed to be completed for them to get the number, it did not need to be played to completion and attempting to do so under the conditions that were going on would have taken way more then 15 mins.

Except the point of the posting (if you read the original post) is a timeframe was not given for when the servers were coming down - the point is that no timeframe was provided, which is key for people to log out in time. Best practices is all that is being asked for here, again which was probably an oversight.

zadies
08-02-2015, 12:17 PM
You are assuming that they had any idea what the time frame was as opposed to resting the servers as soon as the engineers had the fix ready. Creating an arbitrary time frame that could have delayed the fix being deployed was absolutely pointless.

In most situations when a problem like this occurs things just get reset without warning... WoW resets zones all the time without giving people warning that they are doing so when it happens it happens. The fact is that when there are planed server restarts people are given a time-frame this was unplanned period giving a time-frame either would have delayed the fix or have been missed because the fix was not ready when they said the servers would restart.

Lafoote
08-02-2015, 12:36 PM
You are assuming that they had any idea what the time frame was as opposed to resting the servers as soon as the engineers had the fix ready. Creating an arbitrary time frame that could have delayed the fix being deployed was absolutely pointless.

In most situations when a problem like this occurs things just get reset without warning... WoW resets zones all the time without giving people warning that they are doing so when it happens it happens. The fact is that when there are planed server restarts people are given a time-frame this was unplanned period giving a time-frame either would have delayed the fix or have been missed because the fix was not ready when they said the servers would restart.

If you had started a game you could not finish before they reset you wouldn't be making these arguments. I've been playing MMOs since MMOs have existed. Server warnings have always been the norm. You refer to it as "arbitrary," but the term you should use is "courteous."

zadies
08-02-2015, 12:37 PM
I was in a game and couldn't progress in it period. Knowing the server would reset in 15 mins when it was going to take me 20+mins to take a turn in it wouldn't have helped me at all.

Lafoote
08-02-2015, 12:47 PM
I was in a game and couldn't progress in it period. Knowing the server would reset in 15 mins when it was going to take me 20+mins to take a turn in it wouldn't have helped me at all.

There we have it. This is all about you, and not the thousands of other people who were engaged in games that were not jacked up. You could have reset and rejoined your game. I had done it about every 5 or 6 games all morning. Once they reset the server, myself, anyone in a tourney, and everyone else in a game of any kind, including you lost the opportunity to finish.

Whatever the issue(my guess is still a memory leak), it's still occurring. In the event of future resets, I hope they have the courtesy to give us a reasonable time to wrap up. 3 minutes is certainly insufficient.

zadies
08-02-2015, 12:49 PM
3 mins is sufficient for what needs to be done concede get your tournament id and have them reset the server. You don't know at all what percentage of games was or was not messed up your personal experience doesn't really account for much at all.

Your focus on completing a game like you are a special butterfly because your game is working is not how the world works.

In WoW and other games zones crash all the time and are reset without giving advanced warning... I'm sorry it happens... this was not a planned server reset there was 0 reason to delay a patch for some arbitrary time table which may or may not have been met to have the fixed deployed.

Lafoote
08-02-2015, 12:55 PM
3 mins is sufficient for what needs to be done concede get your tournament id and have them reset the server. You don't know at all what percentage of games was or was not messed up your personal experience doesn't really account for much at all.

Your focus on completing a game like you are a special butterfly because your game is working is not how the world works.

In WoW and other games zones crash all the time and are reset without giving advanced warning... I'm sorry it happens... this was not a planned server reset there was 0 reason to delay a patch for some courteous time table which may or may not have been met to have the fixed deployed.

Fixed.

zadies
08-02-2015, 12:59 PM
No lafoote it would be arbitrary because it could just as easily be missed as hit also you are not disputing that resets like this happen all the time in other games when zones go down. An emergency reset such as this is not the same as a patch in the slightest.

If you had started a game you could not finish before they reset you wouldn't be making these arguments. I've been playing MMOs since MMOs have existed. Server warnings have always been the norm. You refer to it as "arbitrary," but the term you should use is "courteous."

There we have it. This is all about you, and not the thousands of other people who were engaged in games that were not jacked up.

You are quite disingenuous as well... first you talk about how if you start a game that isn't working I wouldn't be saying what I am, I make the point I had then you make a counter point to say well my game wasn't messed up so it's all about me... really... You should make up your mind if the games were working in the first place or not.

So what your really saying is they should do what Bliz does wait for the server to crash completely and not give any warning at all so it is a true 100% emergency.

Sparrow
08-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Assuming they're still at GenCon it's reasonable that they'd want servers back up as quickly as possible. It's probably disasterous to have the game be unplayable for one minute in that situation, let alone 15 minutes or more.

Lafoote
08-02-2015, 03:19 PM
No lafoote it would be arbitrary because it could just as easily be missed as hit also you are not disputing that resets like this happen all the time in other games when zones go down. An emergency reset such as this is not the same as a patch in the slightest.

You are quite disingenuous as well... first you talk about how if you start a game that isn't working I wouldn't be saying what I am, I make the point I had then you make a counter point to say well my game wasn't messed up so it's all about me... really... You should make up your mind if the games were working in the first place or not.

So what your really saying is they should do what Bliz does wait for the server to crash completely and not give any warning at all so it is a true 100% emergency.

I've said nothing disingenuous. I'm just pointing out being courteous to players not currently experiencing a problem is appreciated and normal. If you can't understand general courtesy, there is probably little I can do to convince you. I'll let you have the last word even though it will probably be wrong.

Sparrow's comment regarding GenCon on the other hand highlights an interesting scenario I had not considered.

zadies
08-02-2015, 04:13 PM
No Lafoote you said
a) If you were playing in a game that wasn't working I wouldn't be complaining
-I said I was playing in a game that wasn't working and feel it was the right move
b) Well my game was working so you are just being a self centered prick

A and B are not points that work well together.

You keep repeating courtesy this and courtesy that without actually debating the points that are laid out before you or attempting to do anything other then repeat yourself hoping that I will break down and agree with you. You don't give counter examples or rebuttals to examples in other games that need emergency patches not doing what your asking they don't.

They wait for the server to crash and burn and then say well it failed and we got it up as soon as possible. It would have been a simple matter for them to do that instead of giving any warning at all. Your suggestion was for them to watch the fire burn and get worse while sitting on a solution until an appointed time without knowing if it gets worse it might have other unintended issues simply because your game happens to work.

You are the one being self centered because you don't care if the rest of the world burns to hell as long as your little piece of it works. The only reason you wanted this "courtesy" is because your tiny part of the world worked while the rest of it was burning and you don't care how much of it did burn simply because yours worked.