PDA

View Full Version : Skitter Promo

N-Finite
08-01-2015, 04:08 PM
Is this real?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dc-Deck-Building-Game-Skitter-Promo-Gen-Con-2015-/252043944858?hash=item3aaefd639a

GamerGurlAR88
08-01-2015, 05:37 PM
O.o

unLimitedEnds
08-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Whaaaaaaa? Where can I get a copy of this? :D

StormKing
08-01-2015, 06:26 PM
That is real.

Tamahome
08-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Its real. I have 10 of them. Lol

GamerGurlAR88
08-01-2015, 09:42 PM

You selling 1? lol

R2dug2
08-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Pass...

unLimitedEnds
08-02-2015, 12:29 AM

Any chance you're selling one? :D

wearedx
08-02-2015, 09:42 AM

I would also be interested in 1 if you would be willing to sell.

IAmTheGreat
08-02-2015, 10:04 AM
So it's a worse green lantern

StormKing
08-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Except it's control, not play. Bumblebee, Zoo Keeper, and Detonator are all ridiculous for her.

destroth
08-02-2015, 04:44 PM
Not really , it consider on going cards too

GamerGurlAR88
08-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Keep in mind that this promo was made with teen titans in mind, in which there are more 1,2,& 3 cost cards

Matt_Hyra
08-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Can't be fake with reminder text that sweet.

LexLuthorJr
08-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Quite real. I have a bunch of them myself.

unLimitedEnds
08-02-2015, 11:41 PM
Any news on when it'll come to BGG or if there will be another way to obtain these promos (somewhere in California preferably)? :D $35-40 on eBay is pretty pricey for me. @_@

LRoq617
08-03-2015, 04:22 AM

In Teen Titans, this guy is WAY better than Green Lantern.

MStreva89
08-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Sweet Jesus... just when I finally got a Joker, they toss in another convention exclusive! Alright those with multiple copies... how do I get one off you?

And yes, $35-40 on eBay is way too much considering that it will hit BGG probably in 3-4 months. (Matt confirm?)

Also, Matt I think it's kinda silly to release them in this fashion without giving the bulk community a chance to obtain them. I know that Cryptozoic switched it's policy of releasing the promos alongside sets because stores would keep the bulk of them and sell them at their profit so that's why they started coming in the boxes. However now you're releasing them at major conventions which while is a good idea, it's extremely hard for the collector's like myself to get a hold of them without spending the cost of a base set ($40) on people trying to make a quick buck since they were at these conventions. Now I LOVE the fact that there are bonus Characters out there for me to collect as in my play group we use EVERY Character released, so having every piece to this "board game" is necessity.

Honestly if I had a stack of them in my hand, I would hold a tournament at my local game shop to gift them to players and spread the game. To be honest, it's been a bit hard to keep tournaments running at my locals for this reason, we don't have any Cryptozoic promos or bonus product to work with (the basis of tournaments for most card games these days EX: Astral Packs - YuGiOh or promos - Magic: The Gathering).

N-Finite
08-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Sweet Jesus... just when I finally got a Joker, they toss in another convention exclusive! Alright those with multiple copies... how do I get one off you?

And yes, $35-40 on eBay is way too much considering that it will hit BGG probably in 3-4 months. (Matt confirm?)

Also, Matt I think it's kinda silly to release them in this fashion without giving the bulk community a chance to obtain them. I know that Cryptozoic switched it's policy of releasing the promos alongside sets because stores would keep the bulk of them and sell them at their profit so that's why they started coming in the boxes. However now you're releasing them at major conventions which while is a good idea, it's extremely hard for the collector's like myself to get a hold of them without spending the cost of a base set ($40) on people trying to make a quick buck since they were at these conventions. Now I LOVE the fact that there are bonus Characters out there for me to collect as in my play group we use EVERY Character released, so having every piece to this "board game" is necessity.

Honestly if I had a stack of them in my hand, I would hold a tournament at my local game shop to gift them to players and spread the game. To be honest, it's been a bit hard to keep tournaments running at my locals for this reason, we don't have any Cryptozoic promos or bonus product to work with (the basis of tournaments for most card games these days EX: Astral Packs - YuGiOh or promos - Magic: The Gathering).

Cryptozoic gives players an opportunity to obtain these promos at a later time through boardgamegeekstore.com for the cheap price of $2.50. Unfortunately, you have to keep checking regularly to see if any are in stock.

MStreva89
08-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Cryptozoic gives players an opportunity to obtain these promos at a later time through boardgamegeekstore.com for the cheap price of $2.50. Unfortunately, you have to keep checking regularly to see if any are in stock.

Yeah, I stated that in my post. But the general idea that has been coming about was to make it easier for players to access the promos they created, not make it even harder to get into the hands of these players. Waiting months for BGG to get them is a big difference from having them in a box.

Mac_Apple
08-04-2015, 08:24 PM
However now you're releasing them at major conventions which while is a good idea, it's extremely hard for the collector's like myself to get a hold of them without spending the cost of a base set ($40) on people trying to make a quick buck since they were at these conventions. Now I LOVE the fact that there are bonus Characters out there for me to collect as in my play group we use EVERY Character released, so having every piece to this "board game" is necessity.

This. I know promos are supposed to be promotional and all. But what I don't understand is how some people are getting 10 of these and then selling them for $40 a piece. That's just dirty, because that's 9 people at the convention who didn't get one.

I'm only slightly criticizing Crypto for letting one person end up with so many of these, because I understand one person can have their entire posse of friends hit you up for them. I'm more criticizing the scumbags who would abuse this with a company whose motto is "fans first".

GamerGurlAR88
08-04-2015, 08:35 PM
I would also like to add that it seems like there are less of these then the were of The Joker (before gencon) making it more frustrating.

aoineko
08-05-2015, 01:15 AM
Skitter was given out as prizing for events. If someone participated in multiple events, they could end up with multiple copies. They were not just handed out to random people. Joker was previously also given out to people who bought Forever Evil at the booth, so yes, there are more of those than Skitter in the wild currently.

GamerGurlAR88
08-05-2015, 03:30 AM
Skitter was given out as prizing for events. If someone participated in multiple events, they could end up with multiple copies. They were not just handed out to random people. Joker was previously also given out to people who bought Forever Evil at the booth, so yes, there are more of those than Skitter in the wild currently.

I didn't say currently, I said about the Same point in time when it came to after being given out. Just clearing that up.

MStreva89
08-05-2015, 07:30 AM
I understand the value of having this Con-exclusive promo for the time being, but I agree that a person that walked out with multiple copies is abusing the ease of getting them. According to what Matt said, Skitter won't be on BGG for awhile (potentially months), so if I wanted him before then, I would need to fork out a ton of dough to these people that abused the system rather than Cryptozoic.

In all honesty, there aren't a lot of companies like Cryptozoic that cater to the players as much as they do and I gladly support them through it all (even though these Arrow Crossover pictures make me sick in comparison to the comic art). I think they do a wonderful job and if I was going to fork out $40 for a promo, I would rather know it ended up in the creator's hands rather than a John Doe who managed to snatch up as many as possible and wants to cash in.

LexLuthorJr
08-05-2015, 10:12 PM
I understand the value of having this Con-exclusive promo for the time being, but I agree that a person that walked out with multiple copies is abusing the ease of getting them. According to what Matt said, Skitter won't be on BGG for awhile (potentially months), so if I wanted him before then, I would need to fork out a ton of dough to these people that abused the system rather than Cryptozoic.

I want to defend those of us that received multiple copies. I just want to dis-spell the image of us being mustache-twirling villains.

In signing up for the new events, I had no idea they would be handing out new promos. I assumed it would just be Joker again, at best. I signed up with the hopes of winning a prize, not to make money on promos. I also signed up a few friends who wanted to play, so they in turn received several promos too. We got several copies of multiple cards just for showing up. It's a gift for attending the event.

Also, going to a major event like GenCon isn't exactly cheap. I spent more on just the 4-Day pass than I'll get back from selling these promos. Some may think I went there just to "abuse the system", but that is just not the case. It isn't a feasible plan if that was the sole purpose of going.

Finally, every hobby costs money. Sometimes you need to pay more for things that are difficult to find. I know it sucks, I've been there too. It happens, though. Besides, if you really want to play with Skitter, what is to stop you from just writing the text on an index card and playing with it until you get the real thing when it's $5 on BGG?

I understand your frustration, but I don't think we deserve to be vilified simply because we went to GenCon.

GuruGuru214
08-05-2015, 11:17 PM
I used the custom templates from Board Game Geek, did a reverse image search to find the artwork used for the card, and recreated my own Skitter on card stock, so my group can start playing with it until we track one down. I did the same thing with the Joker. It's not perfect, but it looks pretty close, and it makes it a little easier to be patient until we can get our hands on a copy without shelling out $40.

Do0shebag55
08-06-2015, 03:49 PM
No one at Gen Con walked out of any 1 tourney with multiple copies. Everyone with multiple copies got them because they signed up for multiple tournaments. Anyone who didn't get a promo walked away before checking with Tournament Staff (Nathaniel mainly) to see if there were prizes. No one's fault but their own to be honest.

Considering the price of Gen Con, travel, hotel, food, selling them for $35-$40 seems cheap to me. If people are willing to pay $35-$40 for promos that they can get in 2-3 months for $2.50. Who are we to judge... If you wanted one, go to Gen Con, or pay $40, its a lot less than those that went to Gen Con paid. Those who went more than deserve a promo for the tournies they entered.

Those who didn't get one, patiently wait until it's on BGG. I played in every single Crypto DC Tourney I could because I'm a big fan, missing Saturday morning's and the Sunday one (though my friend who i gave the ticket to on Sunday took it all down). I'm giving more than half of my promos to my friends who have the game.

Honestly I'd like to commend Crypto who rewarded those who paid several hundred dollars in hotel fare, Gen Con tickets, and traveled up to several thousand miles to play in a lot of Cryptozoic tournaments with exclusive promos. Even if it's only for several months.

Everyone else can patiently wait until it comes on to BGG and the price spirals down to < $10. It won't kill you to wait... I Promise!

Now if only Crypto would find it in their hearts to make those sweet sweet 2015 Cryptozoic Volunteer Cards available... I'd volunteer for it, but paying for that flight to Dallas seems a bit out of my price range even.

:)

MStreva89
08-07-2015, 05:46 AM
No one at Gen Con walked out of any 1 tourney with multiple copies. Everyone with multiple copies got them because they signed up for multiple tournaments. Anyone who didn't get a promo walked away before checking with Tournament Staff (Nathaniel mainly) to see if there were prizes. No one's fault but their own to be honest.

Considering the price of Gen Con, travel, hotel, food, selling them for $35-$40 seems cheap to me. If people are willing to pay $35-$40 for promos that they can get in 2-3 months for $2.50. Who are we to judge... If you wanted one, go to Gen Con, or pay $40, its a lot less than those that went to Gen Con paid. Those who went more than deserve a promo for the tournies they entered.

Those who didn't get one, patiently wait until it's on BGG. I played in every single Crypto DC Tourney I could because I'm a big fan, missing Saturday morning's and the Sunday one (though my friend who i gave the ticket to on Sunday took it all down). I'm giving more than half of my promos to my friends who have the game.

Honestly I'd like to commend Crypto who rewarded those who paid several hundred dollars in hotel fare, Gen Con tickets, and traveled up to several thousand miles to play in a lot of Cryptozoic tournaments with exclusive promos. Even if it's only for several months.

Everyone else can patiently wait until it comes on to BGG and the price spirals down to < $10. It won't kill you to wait... I Promise!

Now if only Crypto would find it in their hearts to make those sweet sweet 2015 Cryptozoic Volunteer Cards available... I'd volunteer for it, but paying for that flight to Dallas seems a bit out of my price range even.

:)

I understand your point and your argument. I agree that it's a cool way to give to the players for making such a huge financial trip, but when it comes to being a promo to a "board game" then I think it's hard to justify making it so hard to get. There's a lot of people (like myself) who cannot make that kind of sacrifice financially to go to one of these conventions, so I have to wait until BGG has it up before I can get my hands on own.

Going on to BGG, many of my friends have told me that it's nearly impossible to snag the promos off BGG as whenever one pops up, stores and players with a greedy mindset try to buy as many as possible. So when it finally does go up, how does a player like myself get the chance for them when I could be at work or sleeping or whatever when it finally becomes available.

(Cryptozoic should make a post here on the forums for the devout DC:DBG players for a heads up!)

Furthermore... what is a 2015 Cryptozoic Volunteer Card...?

Bomb
08-07-2015, 06:44 AM
I'm of the opinion that GenCon promos should be exclusive for going to it's events for a short amount of time. I think that it SHOULD be difficult to get your hands on them for a little while if you did not attend. Part of the incentive to going to GenCon is for some of the exclusive promos and early exposure to some of the new games. If this were not the case, then some attendees may not try to make the trip as much even though there are plenty of very good reasons to still go.

I think it's fair to wait 2 - 3 months or so for exclusive GenCon promos to be available for purchase. I understand that you do not want to feel like you will be rushed into buying them once they go up on BGG. I think that is where your frustration comes into play because that is probably how I would feel if I really wanted to get my hands on them as soon as possible.

Wouldn't it be nice if the codes on our DC Deck Building boxes could be used as placeholders for promo items exclusive the stand alone game they belong to? Like, we punch in the codes and get an email alert that says along the lines of "Hey, this promo is available for purchase by you for the next 7 days. If you do not purchase it within 7 days, it will become available to the public!".

Do0shebag55
08-07-2015, 07:52 AM
Furthermore... what is a 2015 Cryptozoic Volunteer Card...?

Posted a seperate thread.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=45304

The upload said my pix were too big, so I just threw up the Dropbox links.

Wouldn't it be nice if the codes on our DC Deck Building boxes could be used as placeholders for promo items exclusive the stand alone game they belong to? Like, we punch in the codes and get an email alert that says along the lines of "Hey, this promo is available for purchase by you for the next 7 days. If you do not purchase it within 7 days, it will become available to the public!".

This seems like a lot of work. Granted Crypto doesn't need to even allow them to be public, I do wish that BGG would only allow like 1 purchase per person (so as to cut down on resellers).

MStreva89
08-07-2015, 08:06 AM
I would love Cryptozoic to have an announcement or something to the strong followers so that we can have our first shot at the promos. I mean, I troll the forums more than any of my friends in my play group, so I volunteered to be on the look-out for when Joker and Skitter hit the BGG shop for them.

Matt or Nathaniel, what's the chance of there being an official post on the forums for when these promos finally hit the BGG store so that we can BOLO?

Mac_Apple
08-07-2015, 11:34 PM
I agree, an announcement or some sort of newsletter straight to e-mail would be prime. I'm hoping my secret-but-obvious plan of quick notification will allow me to jump on one before they all sell out! :p

In response to the convention-goers who feel vilified, that wasn't my intentional at all, but I can definitely see how it came across like that. I didn't understand how the promos were being given out, and I'm sorry for the implication.

However, I understand that it costs a lot of money for board, travel, etc, but try looking at it from another perspective. Cryptozoic's games, generally, aren't very expensive. You buy a box for $40 and you have the same exact thing everyone else has. You don't collect individual cards or buy the Ultra Rares online for $50 a piece. At least in the gamer world, it's a poor-man's hobby, but one that is still profitable for the company and enjoyable to the players. Everybody wins.

I got out of Magic because it was incredibly expensive and addicting. I stupidly tied well over a thousand dollars into cards when I got my college checks, and they're harder to offload for cash-back than you might think. I found DC as a game that I wasn't going to be ridiculed for enjoying casually, that I could play without a nagging completionist's ache, and that I could enjoy with a much wider variety of friends. I've spent about $170 on this game total, far less than Magic, and I've gotten 100x more enjoyment out of it. It's honestly some of the only money I've spent on entertainment that I feel is completely free of regrets.

But now, due to poor college spending, inability to find a career after leaving college, coupled with having to move back home to an impoverish and oppurtunity-lacking rural community, I've found myself on very hard times. I actually live in Indiana and I couldn't afford to make it to Gen-Con.

Basically what I'm saying is that I didn't expect anything less than exclusive promos going for extremely high prices, but at the same time it's extremely depressing to see one person snagging three copies of a card and capitalizing on them, when they already had the privilege to go to a convention others could have only dreamed of attending.

I'm not trying to guilt anybody, if I was in that situation I very well might have done the exact same thing (after giving a copy to my friend Richard lol). Just remember that people at the bottom of the ladder usually tend to see the butt of the person above them, rather than the destination at the top. It's irrational, but seeing copies of those cards floating around for $40 is leaving me miffed.

There's also this.

It would be illegal to sell items with a corporation's logo on them because they are registered trademarks and these are designed to protect the corporations whose trademark appears on these items. Basically, it is illegal because one is profiting from the "Goodwill" of another entity. You can give them away without any problem though.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/law/6kbah-sell-imprinted-promotional-products-received.html#ixzz3idkY9mih

JesseSqll
08-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Will there be any Skitters at Strategicon? And also, any volunteers needed for Strategicon? Im in LA area so I would definitely be down to volunteer :D

Matt_Hyra
08-10-2015, 11:40 AM
I would love Cryptozoic to have an announcement or something to the strong followers so that we can have our first shot at the promos. I mean, I troll the forums more than any of my friends in my play group, so I volunteered to be on the look-out for when Joker and Skitter hit the BGG shop for them.

Matt or Nathaniel, what's the chance of there being an official post on the forums for when these promos finally hit the BGG store so that we can BOLO?

Problem is, BGG doesn't put them up for sale the day they receive the cards. It can take a week or three. They have never alerted us as to the day they will actually go up. When they do go up, people tend to post that fact here within an hour...

There will be more Jokers than Starfires and MMs of the past...

Matt_Hyra
08-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Will there be any Skitters at Strategicon? And also, any volunteers needed for Strategicon? Im in LA area so I would definitely be down to volunteer :D

Could be some Skitters.
The con volunteers is only for shows where we have a booth. Next one is BGG Con in Dallas.

aoineko
08-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Could be some Skitters.
The con volunteers is only for shows where we have a booth. Next one is BGG Con in Dallas.

Clearly should be a prize for hunting down Matt.

SpiritDetective
08-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Could be some Skitters.

Is there going to be any organized play for the DC Comics Deck Building Game at Strategicon?

MStreva89
08-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Is there any convention in Florida that you guys attend?

GamerGurlAR88
08-10-2015, 07:14 PM
May as well throw my asking hat in the ring, Coming to the Twin Cities anytime soon?

Do0shebag55
08-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Could be some Skitters.

When are the DC events at Strategicon going to be? As in what day?

IAmTheGreat
08-10-2015, 11:46 PM
Gamer you play in the twin cities? What store do you play at? I have a group that plays at Legion Games in Burnsville

Tamahome
08-11-2015, 10:47 AM
I said that I have 10. I gave some to my friends who also play the game and have others, sure, which I haven't sold not have I said I would sell, regardless of multiple people contacting me on this very forum. My badge for gencon was 100 dollars, and I'd pay that 100 dollars again and again. I love this game, hence why myself and my friends entered every DC tournament there was. Some people can be salty, but I didn't stop those people from going to gencon or obtaining those promos themselves. They didn't run out of skitters until sunday(Nate or Matt can attest to this) so I don't know what to say to the haters.

Do0shebag55
08-11-2015, 11:10 AM
Haters are going to hate. By the way your crew was very cordial and nice to play against DC over and over again over all the tournaments at Gen Con.

Thanks again for allowing me to snap the pics.

GamerGurlAR88
08-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Did my post get deleted? O.o

Kr36
09-07-2015, 08:56 PM
No Skitter yet...but the BGG Store just posted the Joker promo, Martian Manhunter, Gotham City Docks, (and Felix Faust) for $2.50 per card. Go get 'em!

GamerGurlAR88
09-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Meanwhile this card is out of control on eBay

Skinner
09-08-2015, 01:15 AM
As we've mentioned in multiple places, Skitter will be offered via BGG Store eventually, but Teen Titans is not even 2 months on shelves yet. We'll usually give a game at least 6 months after release before we consider making remaining promos public access instead of "with an event" as they are originally intended.

If you really feel the need to have Skitter right away and aren't able to attend any events or conventions we're at, you can bite the expense bullet on eBay, otherwise you'll be able to get them for cheap next year just like the ones we've sent to BGG recently.

GamerGurlAR88
09-08-2015, 09:07 AM
65-80 is not expensive, it's insane. I would have no problem paying $35-$40 (which is expensive), but I am not insane lol.

Aysez
09-13-2015, 11:10 PM
Well, I'm using this as a warning bit about Skitter showing up. And if anybody wants to sell one, PLEASE contact me!