PDA

View Full Version : Gen Con authorised spoiler re: role of parties in PvE

Vorsa
08-02-2015, 01:16 AM
As the eagle-eyed may have noticed from convention reports on this here forum, player characters in campaign mode are now in parties like RPG's of yore.

The other party members? Mercenaries!

Well HexInformer (https://twitter.com/HexInformer) have been authorised by Ben Stoll to tweet out some more details about this:

Party size
Party size increases as characters level up.
In the demo the player character (which is approx. L16 if the same Orc Warrior as the talent tree records) has space for 3 mercenaries in the party.

Party buffs
Each mercenary grants a party buff.
All party buffs sound to be active while all mercenaries are.
If a mercenary is disabled, their buff goes away.

Party formation
There are tactical consequences to setting each mercenary as your party leader.
You can switch party leader before each encounter.

Q. Do party buffs affect matches, adventuring (e.g. gold find) or both?
Q. Are mercenaries disabled after they are used for an encounter, or only if they lose said encounter?
Q. Can mercenaries be disabled in other ways e.g. choose-your-own-adventure consequences?
Q. What are the consequences of setting a party leader?

Mike411
08-02-2015, 01:21 AM
Urge to have PVE rising...

Gorgol
08-02-2015, 01:28 AM
oh, yes please

Xenavire
08-02-2015, 04:09 AM
Whoever thought up a party system for PvE is a freaking genius. It is going to make mercs so much more valuable though...

Ertzi
08-02-2015, 04:51 AM
Incredible. Hypehypehypehype... :)

Mejis
08-02-2015, 04:52 AM
Awesome info, thanks.
Can someone fill me in a bit of mercenaries though? They can't die yeah (as in disappear from your account should they die in battle)? They're not like one-time use or anything like that? Once you have acquired one, you keep them forever? (Unless you trade them of course.)

elfstone
08-02-2015, 06:56 AM
It def. Wont be one time account use. There was talk about making mercs account bound to ye once ye use them for the first time. No idea if that is still true

NyXDaE
08-02-2015, 07:13 AM
http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Mercenary

Does anyone know if we have to individually level mercenaries along-side our player characters? This wiki post seems to indicate that everything on the mercenary is unlocked at the start.

Vorsa
08-02-2015, 07:27 AM
In answer to above questions...

The only firm information we have about mercenaries is this blog post (https://www.hextcg.com/mercenary-for-hire/) from July 2014 - though it pre-dates the party system, so don't take it as gospel!

Account bound
Yes; they are account bound on-use, at the time of that article:
"You 'Hire' a mercenary, making it non-tradeable and permanently attaching it to your account."

Do mercenaries level-up?
No, at time of that article; mercenaries have fixed powers.
Eventually player characters would seem likely to far out-strip mercenaries, but the strength is that they have their own decks and styles to call on when the player character isn't optimal for an encounter - or where an encounter simply carries too much risk e.g. kraken tentacles confiscating cards.

"The other sticky point was mercenary progression. Am I leveling my champion and all of my individual mercenaries? Does my mercenary level through use? That creates odd play choices where you’re using a non-optimal champion or mercenary so you can grind experience. I became convinced pretty early on that progression for mercenaries was not the right path. No progression also aligned better with the concept of mercenaries."

Example from July 2014:
https://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/HEX_ASSET_85v2_WEB.jpg

Kurasa
08-02-2015, 07:37 AM
I'm really hyped about this news. Creating a party of mercenaries sounds really cool. Can't wait to see what kind of buffs they can provide.

No idea if there will be some kind of mercenary progression now that we're back to character leveling and have the party system. My guess would be that if we do have mercenary progression they'll gain experience by being in your party.

Also, does this mean that you can swap in any mercenary in your party to fight a battle for you? Would each of them get one fight, or would you still only be able to switch a mercenary in once per dungeon?

Incindium
08-02-2015, 08:02 AM
In the demo the player character is a Ranger which has a totally different skill tree than the Warrior one posted. The Rangers two charge powers came from selections in its skill tree but don't know anything more about what the tree looks like.

Zarien
08-02-2015, 08:09 AM
This is pretty exciting news. Would be even cooler if our heroes could provide buffs based on their class or composition when with other players classes for future ques like raid bosses and etc.

BenRGamer
08-02-2015, 09:19 AM
I could see them replacing the current Three-Strikes system with the party system--when you lose an encounter, the champion/merc you use is out, and you lose only when everyone in the party is out

jimmywolf
08-02-2015, 09:30 AM
I could see them replacing the current Three-Strikes system with the party system--when you lose an encounter, the champion/merc you use is out, and you lose only when everyone in the party is out

interesting observation an i agree with you. it would make things more interesting an feel more immersive, as you're losing your team as you go, versus a random strike try again.

NyXDaE
08-02-2015, 09:34 AM

The issue with game design like that is it punishes failure by making the player more likely to fail (removing merc options and the buff that goes along with that mercenary makes it harder to win). If a player fails, you don't want a system makes failure more likely going forward - not in a casual-friendly mode. It could be appropriate for some sort of hardcore option, etc.

Vorsa
08-02-2015, 09:38 AM
It's definitely a combination of the two - the player character has multiple lives, even if mercs may not.
The evidence is this talent form the spoiled tree:

THE SPOILS OF WAR
2 POINTS
For each remaining life and Mercenary at the end of a Dungeon Run, +3% Gold (and flat +3% Gold for other encounters).

Showsni
08-02-2015, 09:51 AM
The Rangers two charge powers came from selections in its skill tree but don't know anything more about what the tree looks like.

Although it might bear some resemblance to the Ranger Might tree Cory spoiled on his blog: http://coryhudsonjones.tumblr.com/post/76449580127/blog-post-number-2

bootlace
08-02-2015, 11:31 AM

Sounds good to me! Also like how each mercenary will hopefully have one passive group ability (active while mercenary is alive I guess) and one in-game ability, makes them really interesting. Gotta catch 'em all.

Lafoote
08-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Party system sounds very fun. I'm still disgruntled about $18 Shitake Chefs, and miserable PVE card distribution. However, on the plus side, I love set 3, and I'm really looking forward to PVE campaign content.

TOOT
08-02-2015, 12:47 PM
Good to see the mercs getting a bigger role in the PVE. The original idea of having 1 along for the ride to sub in for a critical match just seemed.... wasteful given how many mercs there are already available before any option to use them. I couldn't see myself using or wanting more than say 3 in the original plan/preview.

Deathmustard
08-02-2015, 12:57 PM
This is good news. This means i actually want to keep collecting all the mercs.

Vorpal
08-03-2015, 08:00 AM
I love the potential of this system. Sounds amazing.

Now I need to get more mercs....

velk
08-06-2015, 01:36 AM
In answer to above questions...

The only firm information we have about mercenaries is this blog post (https://www.hextcg.com/mercenary-for-hire/) from July 2014 - though it pre-dates the party system, so don't take it as gospel!

"The other sticky point was mercenary progression. Am I leveling my champion and all of my individual mercenaries? Does my mercenary level through use? That creates odd play choices where you’re using a non-optimal champion or mercenary so you can grind experience. I became convinced pretty early on that progression for mercenaries was not the right path. No progression also aligned better with the concept of mercenaries."

Hopefully they scrapped that along with the might system and went back to levelled mercs like in the kickstarter. Especially given how trash the unlevelled example is in comparison to the original designs.

WWKnight
08-06-2015, 03:35 AM
Yeah, I wanna level my mercs!

im also chomping at the bit to know more about the PvE people experienced at Gencon. Hopefully tomorrow's update will let us know stuff.

Saeijou
08-06-2015, 11:06 AM
well, you level yourself... maybe leveling the mercs would be too much :)

i'm looking forward to PvE, that information is awesome! :)

spankydonkey
08-06-2015, 11:16 AM
What I would like to know is, will you ever need more than one of each different merc?
Will they be like equipment, only one ever needed.
Or will you be able to lose them for ever, IE get killed in a dungeon, that's it gone for good?
Also anyone know what ability's all the different mercs have?

WWKnight
08-06-2015, 12:12 PM
The original plan for mercs was to be leveled. They got more abilities as they got more powerful. The revised information they gave us seemed very boring and not at all fun.

I hope with this party system, they can level even if they aren't always active. That should bypass the problem that made them change the system in the first place.

https://www.hextcg.com/rewards/

Aradon
08-06-2015, 12:15 PM
What I would like to know is, will you ever need more than one of each different merc?
Will they be like equipment, only one ever needed.
Or will you be able to lose them for ever, IE get killed in a dungeon, that's it gone for good?
Also anyone know what ability's all the different mercs have?

If Mercenaries were consumable, there would be serious problems. Some mercenaries are exclusive and no longer attainable, so the Kickstarter and 2013/14 Gen Con Mercs would become extinct in rather short order. For any consumable item, there needs to be a faucet to put them back in the system.

Another problem is that Cory has specifically stated that mercs are one-per-account, which is why Collectors didn't receive double of their mercs. It's firmly cemented that mercs won't be consumable.

spankydonkey
08-06-2015, 12:32 PM
If Mercenaries were consumable, there would be serious problems. Some mercenaries are exclusive and no longer attainable, so the Kickstarter and 2013/14 Gen Con Mercs would become extinct in rather short order. For any consumable item, there needs to be a faucet to put them back in the system.

Another problem is that Cory has specifically stated that mercs are one-per-account, which is why Collectors didn't receive double of their mercs. It's firmly cemented that mercs won't be consumable.

So it's safe to sell, any extras then?

Fyren
08-06-2015, 12:33 PM
So it's safe to sell, any extras then?

In that your PVE capacities wouldn't be reduced. But who knows what those mercs will sell for when they become useful... And as the event proved, even middling-mediocre cards will sell for a ton if they're rare.

Aradon
08-06-2015, 01:00 PM
It should be, yes. I definitely wouldn't call myself infallible, as I've been wrong an a number of occasions before, but given my post above, I feel confident enough to sell my extras. I'm waiting until they're actually in the game, though, because demand should increase for them at that point.

spankydonkey
08-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Good points well made, think I will wait until mercs are in, before trying to sell them.
Also now one really knows what they do yet anyway.

Yoss
08-06-2015, 04:35 PM

Erm. They ARE consumable. Once you use a merc, it is permanently locked to your account and consumed from the marketplace. Henceforth you will be the only one that can use it. I'm still hoping they remedy this problem.

Voormas
08-06-2015, 04:45 PM
I'm still hoping they remedy this problem.

I hope they stick to their guns because I don't think it's a problem at all :)

Yoss
08-06-2015, 04:47 PM

You like the idea that some day there will be literally zero of a particular merc left in circulation? That henceforth no new player will ever be able to play that game content?

Fyren
08-06-2015, 05:07 PM
You like the idea that some day there will be literally zero of a particular merc left in circulation? That henceforth no new player will ever be able to play that game content?

I expect there to be enough good, accessible mercs for players such that this won't be an issue. If there are not... Then we have a problem.

dogmod
08-06-2015, 11:17 PM

Seems fine.

zadies
08-06-2015, 11:29 PM

Completely and 100% acceptable. They should never have been trad-able in the first place and should have just been made more common as a roll on the WoF.

Xenavire
08-07-2015, 06:29 AM
Mercs should never have been bound or untradable in the first place, and should still be unbound. There is no try before you buy, so if it turns out you got something, and hate it/never use it, then someone else who does want it is shit out of luck.

If nothing else, HexEnt should commit to reprinting the effects with new art/themes. Like you could have Gax, the Sly Roller, and Nimble, Roller Apprentice - functionally the same, but worth very different amounts.

Gattou
08-07-2015, 06:38 AM
Mercs should never have been bound or untradable in the first place, and should still be unbound. There is no try before you buy, so if it turns out you got something, and hate it/never use it, then someone else who does want it is shit out of luck.
That's the MMO part, you buy some equipement, you try it, it's bound... It's the rules, you know it and you accept it.
Same here, everybody know the rule. If mercs are bound, you have to make a decision and choose, that's a good thing.

I think there will be so many mercs that you don't have to keep using the same ones.
What i don't want to see is everybody using the same mercs always.

ryuukan
08-07-2015, 06:51 AM
geeze, why do so many people envision the PVE campaign launch as this post-apocalyptic wasteland with tainted garbage PVE drops where players fight over pre-launch PVE drops like clean water and medicine

there will be new drops that are better than all this legacy stuff, have some faith in the devs for once

Xenavire
08-07-2015, 06:53 AM
That's the MMO part, you buy some equipement, you try it, it's bound... It's the rules, you know it and you accept it.
Same here, everybody know the rule. If mercs are bound, you have to make a decision and choose, that's a good thing.

I think there will be so many mercs that you don't have to keep using the same ones.
What i don't want to see is everybody using the same mercs always.

I agree, everyone using the same merc is boring. Everyone using the same deck is also boring, yet most people do that. And with the new party feature, there is a lot more chance to have overlaps from passives from certain mercs.

Also, having a completely unique effect is miles apart from a few stat boosts and a cool new look. Comparing the two is incredibly short sighted.

zadies
08-07-2015, 07:01 AM
I hope they never listen to you ever again Xen people like you are what caused the initial fiasco with the convocation that Chark had to come in and correct. Complain a little get a compromise, complain more and get what you want till you realize that it was a complete mistake and broke everyone's trust in the game and then try to backpeddle. I'm sorry but bound unique unobtainable chase items are great in a number of ways but you want to have everything handed to you on a silver platter just like your KS tier that you complained about not having until someone handed you one.

Cainhu
08-07-2015, 07:03 AM
geeze, why do so many people envision the PVE campaign launch as this post-apocalyptic wasteland with tainted garbage PVE drops ...

Well, maybe they made a passing look at the current limited PvE content. :cool:

BTW, the few info we got from GenCon makes me cautiously optimistic about the PvE campaign. It's release will be a deciding factor if I leave the game behind or I became a paying customer instead of my current F2P status.

Xenavire
08-07-2015, 07:08 AM
I hope they never listen to you ever again Xen people like you are what caused the initial fiasco with the convocation that Chark had to come in and correct. Complain a little get a compromise, complain more and get what you want till you realize that it was a complete mistake and broke everyone's trust in the game and then try to backpeddle. I'm sorry but bound unique unobtainable chase items are great in a number of ways but you want to have everything handed to you on a silver platter just like your KS tier that you complained about not having until someone handed you one.

Sorry, but are you stupid? My original complaint was that the bonus rolls weren't dropping and I asked for them to be done retroactively (exactly what they actually did.) If anything, they should listen to me more often.

And once again, I was NEVER given a tier. I was given a draft for a year code that would have gone to waste (by a very generous person.) My KS tier I bought myself.

Gattou
08-07-2015, 07:10 AM
Also, having a completely unique effect is miles apart from a few stat boosts and a cool new look. Comparing the two is incredibly short sighted.
What i was just trying to say is that. Bounded items/cards/whatever make people choose. Because this choice has a cost. And IMO choose is a good thing.
Well i like the way they settle things.

Xenavire
08-07-2015, 07:12 AM
What i was just trying to say is that. Bounded items/cards/whatever make people choose. Because this choice has a cost. And IMO choose is a good thing.
Well i like the way they settle things.

Sorry, but no MMO that I know of has bound unique effects (in fact, even their meaningful choices can often be reverted so that you can choose again.) Bound gear is not the same as a bound unique gameplay effect that only a certain number of people can ever have.

ryuukan
08-07-2015, 07:17 AM
Sorry, but no MMO that I know of has bound unique effects (in fact, even their meaningful choices can often be reverted so that you can choose again.) Bound gear is not the same as a bound unique gameplay effect that only a certain number of people can ever have.

that hex mmo has a double loot effect thats pretty unique

Gattou
08-07-2015, 07:27 AM
In the MMOs i've played the endgame gears provide exclusive gameplay, and some of them give you exclusive skills (like chances to proc extra attacks or to proc spells). And this affect the way you want to play or use skills.

Yoss
08-07-2015, 07:51 AM
As Xen said, there's a big difference between a unique +5 sword that will soon be obsolete to a +6 sword in the next content patch, and a unique mechanical effect that will not be available otherwise.

that hex mmo has a double loot effect thats pretty unique

Double loot doesn't provide any unique experience that can't be had otherwise. Same with the +10% XP boost. Only the Raid Leader provides a unique change to the game mechanics, and I continue to lobby for changing that somehow because it's just not right.

Yoss
08-07-2015, 07:53 AM
In the MMOs i've played the endgame gears provide exclusive gameplay, and some of them give you exclusive skills (like chances to proc extra attacks or to proc spells). And this affect the way you want to play or use skills.

End game loot is very different from things given out at a special event like KS or GenCon. End game loot is always there for anyone to farm if they're willing to spend the time to get it. I would be totally fine if story-based mercs (that one can always get by just playing the campaign) were fully account bound, not even having the token system.

Khazrakh
08-07-2015, 07:53 AM
Double loot doesn't provide any unique experience that can't be had otherwise. Same with the +10% XP boost. Only the Raid Leader provides a unique change to the game mechanics, and I continue to lobby for changing that somehow because it's just not right.

It's the biggest mistake they did with the kickstarter in my opinion - shortly followed by the Collector Tier (...and I'm a collector myself ;))
Sadly they won't be able to change it, but they might come up with earnable/buyable alternatives in the future.

Vorpal
08-07-2015, 08:40 AM
geeze, why do so many people envision the PVE campaign launch as this post-apocalyptic wasteland with tainted garbage PVE drops where players fight over pre-launch PVE drops like clean water and medicine

there will be new drops that are better than all this legacy stuff, have some faith in the devs for once

Crossover between Hex and Fallout 4!

Tirc
08-07-2015, 09:12 AM
I agree, everyone using the same merc is boring. Everyone using the same deck is also boring, yet most people do that. And with the new party feature, there is a lot more chance to have overlaps from passives from certain mercs.

Yeah, if people think that min-maxing the best deck/mercs aren't gonna happen then people are sadly mistaken. As stated earlier about the tropes of an MMO with soul bound equipment (which I think the analogy of mercs to equipment in an MMO is a bad comparison) another trope is using the very best build which in this case will just be net decking the best combo of mercs and deck.

And Xen, I wasn't saying that you don't think there won't be min-maxing, just piggy backing on your point.

Xenavire
08-07-2015, 09:15 AM
Yeah, if people think that min-maxing the best deck/mercs aren't gonna happen then people are sadly mistaken. As stated earlier about the tropes of an MMO with soul bound equipment (which I think the analogy of mercs to equipment in an MMO is a bad comparison) another trope is using the very best build which in this case will just be net decking the best combo of mercs and deck.

And Xen, I wasn't saying that you don't think there won't be min-maxing, just piggy backing on your point.

Nah, I gotcha. :p Seriously though, this is a TCG, I can't imagine why any non-cosmetic should ever be bound. Regardless of having unique effects or not.

Tirc
08-07-2015, 09:19 AM
I agree, because the moment something is bound then the game becomes part TCG and part CCG. I don't see how anyone can argue that trading Mercs is a bad thing. Especially if they individually level. Then if you have multiples then you could max level it and sell it for even more value.

Gattou
08-07-2015, 12:46 PM
I agree, because the moment something is bound then the game becomes part TCG and part CCG. I don't see how anyone can argue that trading Mercs is a bad thing. Especially if they individually level. Then if you have multiples then you could max level it and sell it for even more value.
For me Mercs are more heros you fight with than cards, talking about ccg just for that is a bit exessive.
I think that if mercs are not bound, le value will be much lower. I suppose they cannot really die. We don't know the time spent to level up them and if it will be possible, but i'm not sure people will spend a lot.
The scenario i imagine is "OMG the new cards made the merc AAA cheated. I'll sell my old ones", then 3 month later "OMG the cards can make a nice combo with merc BBB" and so on ... blablabla.

Maybe i'm wrong but i think the game will need to make desapear some mercs.

Aradon
08-07-2015, 01:19 PM
I don't think the rarity of KS mercs is ideal, but it was the price Hex wanted to pay for kickstarting funds. I'd hope that they will be the only mercs that don't have a continuous faucet, but then the 2013/14 Gencon mercs rolled around. I'm not a fan of merc binding in the cases of mercs that don't have faucets, but I do like binding in any other case. I'd like a unified system, so I'm in favor of merc binding on use.

However, it's lamentable that some (growing?) number of mercs are going to be impossible to acquire in the future.

Yoss
08-07-2015, 07:30 PM
I like the idea of limited/exclusive mercs fully tradeable and story mercs (always available to earn) being soulbound.

WWKnight
08-07-2015, 07:54 PM
This is actually really funny.

I am against sets being retired. I see no reason why set 1, or 2 or 3 or 4 should ever be taken away from the store. I understand that tournament wise, for the health fo the game, teh sets need to be rotated, but in a digital format with no printing costs, I don't see the need to take away something and deny new players access to it.

Having said that... I am absolutely ok with limited time Mercs being soulbound. Im ok with the Exclusive KS mercs (and would be even if I didnt have them all). I am fully aware that these two stances are in direct opposition of each other and I am hypocritcal. I cannot explain why one is ok and the other isnt.

szimek
08-08-2015, 11:46 PM
This is actually really funny.

I am against sets being retired. I see no reason why set 1, or 2 or 3 or 4 should ever be taken away from the store. I understand that tournament wise, for the health fo the game, teh sets need to be rotated, but in a digital format with no printing costs, I don't see the need to take away something and deny new players access to it.

Having said that... I am absolutely ok with limited time Mercs being soulbound. Im ok with the Exclusive KS mercs (and would be even if I didnt have them all). I am fully aware that these two stances are in direct opposition of each other and I am hypocritcal. I cannot explain why one is ok and the other isnt.

+1 to all of that. i think exactly the same thing :] and that's probably because i would like to collect everything and even if it's useless, i will still keep it. just to have it :P so i like the idea of being able to get all the stuff, but account bounding doesn't bother me (as long as it's bound by choice, so i can bound full set of the cards/items for my collection, and rest i can sell).

Voormas
08-09-2015, 12:24 AM
There is very little that is truly exclusive in this game, and with only Sleeves being untradable I just don't see how this is such a big problem - there were a ton a Kickstarters, there will always be SOMEONE willing to trade you what you want

wolzarg
08-09-2015, 03:25 AM
There is very little that is truly exclusive in this game, and with only Sleeves being untradable I just don't see how this is such a big problem - there were a ton a Kickstarters, there will always be SOMEONE willing to trade you what you want
at the right price, which will be arbitrarily inflated by the choice to bind them. Don't get me wrong i truly do not care either way as i think they are sensible enough to not make too big balance issues between different mercs, but it does clearly affect price and availability.

Vorsa
08-09-2015, 07:47 AM
It will be interesting to see how many mercenaries are granted/readily-available in the campaign?

You'd think there's got to be a fixed 'tutorial' one at least, to demonstrate how mercenaries work in game; beyond that they might ensure there's enough to fill the party each time party size increases (for balance reasons), or they could just count on the common WoF mercs being low-hanging-fruit forever more.

Xenavire
08-09-2015, 08:05 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if each dungeon (or at least most) comes with a temporary merc, and some dungeons having permanent, earnable mercs on top of that.

Would be a great way of telling story, granting unique effects, and teaching people about mercs without being obnoxious. :p

sukebe
08-09-2015, 04:26 PM

+1 :-) I hope very much they keep the mercs bind on use.

If nothing else, HexEnt should commit to reprinting the effects with new art/themes. Like you could have Gax, the Sly Roller, and Nimble, Roller Apprentice - functionally the same, but worth very different amounts.

I also hope they do not take this route. functional reprints take a lot away from the rare mercs imo. There should eventually be so many mercs that people will not be missing out on much (if anything) from not having them all. They have made it clear that no one will be able to have everything in this game I like that very much.

Mercs will be tradeable until they are used. if you make a big purchase and don't know much about it, they you are fully responsible for not looking into what you are buying. someday these mercs will no longer be on the market, but there will be many more than have been introduced into it. no problem at all in my eyes, in fact, it is a huge positive.

zadies
08-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Mercs will be tradeable until they are used. if you make a big purchase and don't know much about it, they you are fully responsible for not looking into what you are buying. someday these mercs will no longer be on the market, but there will be many more than have been introduced into it. no problem at all in my eyes, in fact, it is a huge positive.
Mercs binding is a great thing assuming they don't do reprints because it forces the constant creation of new and interesting content. If mercs never bound there wouldn't really be such a driving concern to publish more then 1 or 2 of them each PvE/PvP release as it is now they need to at minimum keep up with the ones that are going extinct.

Patrigan
08-09-2015, 11:15 PM
They either will eventually unbound them, or make functionally identitcal reprints. Anyone telling himself otherwise is just fooling themselves (this includes CZE). Exclusives like this have the pottential to destroy a game. At the very least, it will prevent many players from joining. Many big companies have admitted to this.

In WoW, exclusive pets were functionally remade for petomon. Magic admitted (several times) that the promise for no reprints on certain cards has been wrong, they've also said that they will NEVER do exclusive functional content again. League of Legends has legacy skin sales and those aren't even functional, but the playerbase wants access. I'm sure there are plenty others. If a company wants a big growth, it has to eliminate all factors that turn players (ANY player) away from a game.

With a growing playerbase (which is something we all want) they must do another influx of the scarce functional goods. I'm not saying they should make them readily available, but the scarcity should be proportional to the playerbase. So if there are currently 10% kickstarters and 90% others, if the playerbase doubles, they'll have top do an event granting players access to a functionally identical item. The droprate for this should be low enough that only 5% of the new playerbase can attain this (such that the mercenary is still owned by 10% of the playerbase).

Alternate Arts and sleeves and other cosmetic items are not part of this point. They can be VERY exclusive (and should be).