PDA

View Full Version : Legion of SuperHeroes Spoilers

LexLuthorJr
08-03-2015, 09:58 AM
I played the LoSH event at GenCon and here are some card spoilers. I'll mention that Time Travel is the new keyword. Basically, if a card in the Line-Up has the keyword Time Travel, you may discard a card from your hand to remove it from the Line-Up and play it. Here now are the Super Heroes...

Cosmic Boy
During each of your turns, if the first card you play from your hand is a Equipment, give a card with cost 5 or less in the Line-Up Time Travel this turn.

Saturn Girl
During each of your turns, if the first card you play from your hand is a Hero, give a card with cost 4 or less in the Line-Up Time Travel this turn.

Lightning Lad
During each of your turns, if the first card you play from your hand is a Villain, give a card with cost 4 or less in the Line-Up Time Travel this turn.

Brainiac 5
Once during each of your turns, you may discard two cards. If you do, put a card with cost 5 or a Time Travel card with cost 5 or less from your discard pile into your hand.

Chameleon Boy
Once during each of your turns, you may discard a card to Time Travel a card in the Line-Up with cost equal to or less than the cost of the card discarded this way.

Phantom Girl
+1 Power for each Time Travel card you play during your turn.

The Super Villains were interesting in that they did not have any First Appearance-Attack effects. However, almost all of them had the Time Travel keyword so any player could discard a card to play their effect while on the Super Villain stack. Their effect was typically...

Time Travel
Attack: Each player must discard a <card type> from their hand.
If you own this card and one or more players do not discard a card, +3 Power.

That was the gist. I may be misremembering the exact wording.
Other random cards I kind of remember...

Legion Headquarters (Location, Cost 5)
Ongoing: The first time you play a card with Time Travel, draw a card.

Time Sphere (Equipment, Cost ?)
Time Travel
+2 Power
Put all cards in the Line-Up on the bottom of the main deck and replace them.

Mon-El (Hero, Cost 6)
+2 Power
Defense: You may reveal this card from your hand to avoid and attack. If you do, gain a Time Travel card from the Line-Up.

marcnelsonjr
08-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the report! Looking forward to it.

GamerGurlAR88
08-03-2015, 05:12 PM
You may discard any card to play it?

Example:
Time Sphere is in the line up
Discard Punch
Play Time Sphere?
Time sphere goes back at end of turn or right away?

IzzyOtaku
08-03-2015, 06:33 PM
For Chameleon Boy you said " If you do, put a card with cost 5 or a Time Travel card with cost 5 or less from your discard pile into your hand." Does that mean if its a non-Time Travel that it has to be a hard cost 5 or can it be less as well?

LexLuthorJr
08-03-2015, 06:58 PM
You may discard any card to play it?

Example:
Time Sphere is in the line up
Discard Punch
Play Time Sphere?
Time sphere goes back at end of turn or right away?

It would go back at the end of your turn. That means in a standard five-card Line-Up, if you played Time Sphere first, you would then put the remaining four cards on the bottom of the deck and replace them. Any Time Travel cards you play cannot be bought or gained that turn. That includes the Super Villain.

LexLuthorJr
08-03-2015, 07:00 PM
For Chameleon Boy you said " If you do, put a card with cost 5 or a Time Travel card with cost 5 or less from your discard pile into your hand." Does that mean if its a non-Time Travel that it has to be a hard cost 5 or can it be less as well?

That's Brainiac 5's ability, not Chameleon Boy. And yes, it must be a Cost 5 exactly.

GamerGurlAR88
08-03-2015, 07:07 PM
It would go back at the end of your turn. That means in a standard five-card Line-Up, if you played Time Sphere first, you would then put the remaining four cards on the bottom of the deck and replace them. Any Time Travel cards you play cannot be bought or gained that turn. That includes the Super Villain.

Is there any limits? Seems kind of broken of a mechanic to me.

StormKing
08-03-2015, 11:05 PM
Is there any limits? Seems kind of broken of a mechanic to me.

It can make the game snowball quickly if people abuse time travel, but it's far from broken. Think about it, if you Time Travel, you can't buy the card, which means the next player also has the choice of Time Travelling or buying the card. You get a benefit virtually for free, but so does everyone else.

IzzyOtaku
08-04-2015, 03:17 AM
It can make the game snowball quickly if people abuse time travel, but it's far from broken. Think about it, if you Time Travel, you can't buy the card, which means the next player also has the choice of Time Travelling or buying the card. You get a benefit virtually for free, but so does everyone else.

Also since its a crossover pack that means there arent really a lot of cards so only a few in the game will have the Time Travel ability right?

Tamahome
08-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Out of the 14 cards that go in the main deck from legion, all 14 have the time travel keyword. Out of the 8 supervillians, 7
Of them have the time travel keyword.

StormKing
08-04-2015, 04:10 PM
By the way, now that this info is out. I'd just like to point out that a certain recent promo card of a Time Travelling Titan works really well with Legion of Superheroes. ;)

Afterword
08-10-2015, 01:20 AM
I have Heroes Unite combined with the JSA crossover and was going to buy this... but now... no. The Superheroes are so dependent on the Time Travel keywords that they are all essentially useless if those 20 cards don't come out in force. We already have enough trouble in my group with Booster Gold and Stargirl being defense card based (as everyone wants them). Now this?

Moreover, the Superhero powers seem like clones of each other with only minor differences. One thing I liked about JSA was the variety of powers. Only Power Girl was really lackluster. Even Stargirl is interesting to use as a deck cycling mechanic.

I get that the Supervillains also have the Time Travel keyword, but that still doesn't make a lot of difference if I mix my Supervillains all together (which I do).

What I appreciate about JSA is its versatility. I don't have to go pure JSA to play with the JSA pack. They're just extra cards for greater variety. This is so... dependent on itself. Especially for a small pack.

Disappointed. Here's hoping Watchmen is better designed for normal play.

NOTE: If the reviews are highly positive, I'll take this back and buy it. But it's not looking good.

IAmTheGreat
08-10-2015, 07:57 AM
I have Heroes Unite combined with the JSA crossover and was going to buy this... but now... no. The Superheroes are so dependent on the Time Travel keywords that they are all essentially useless if those 20 cards don't come out in force. We already have enough trouble in my group with Booster Gold and Stargirl being defense card based (as everyone wants them). Now this?

Moreover, the Superhero powers seem like clones of each other with only minor differences. One thing I liked about JSA was the variety of powers. Only Power Girl was really lackluster. Even Stargirl is interesting to use as a deck cycling mechanic.

I get that the Supervillains also have the Time Travel keyword, but that still doesn't make a lot of difference if I mix my Supervillains all together (which I do).

What I appreciate about JSA is its versatility. I don't have to go pure JSA to play with the JSA pack. They're just extra cards for greater variety. This is so... dependent on itself. Especially for a small pack.

Disappointed. Here's hoping Watchmen is better designed for normal play.

NOTE: If the reviews are highly positive, I'll take this back and buy it. But it's not looking good.

I felt the same way with the Arrow crossover pack

aoineko
08-10-2015, 10:30 AM
The Superheroes are so dependent on the Time Travel keywords that they are all essentially useless if those 20 cards don't come out in force.

Phantom Girl (and sort of Brainiac) is the only one dependent on Time Travel cards. All the rest give cards Time Travel, which lets you play extra cards.

Afterword
08-10-2015, 11:08 AM
I felt the same way with the Arrow crossover pack

Yeah, I wasn't going to touch that pack at all because of the radical change in art style. We *love* the JSA crossover, so I hope the Watchmen pack is good since that's the crossover universe I actually care about.

Phantom Girl (and sort of Brainiac) is the only one dependent on Time Travel cards. All the rest give cards Time Travel, which lets you play extra cards.

Well, that's good. Still seems like the Superhero powers are mostly clones of each other though. I wish there was more creativeness to it like Jay Garrick or Mister Terrific or even Wildcat. I understand that Superhero design must be really difficult to do, but still, that's not really an excuse. I love the engine; it just seems underutilized.

I was thinking that Red Son (Soviet Superman) could have a power like "Until end of game, all Villains may also count as Heroes for you. The first time you play a Hero in a turn, you may look at the top three cards of your deck and put them back in any order." This would reflect Red Son's use of Superman Robots (turning villains into hero drones) and his x-ray vision. Cards that interact with Heroes would be significantly more powerful for him (giving a "type" to go for), and his ability to look at the top three cards of his could be used for deck stacking like with Mr. Terrific but without discarding a Punch and without the draw. Thus, his superpowers are actually reflected in his abilities, which helps tremendously with theme. The "Until end of game" and "may" caveats prevent Supervillain attacks from wrecking him unfairly and prevent Saint Walker from being an instant win for him. I would add a few cards to the Main Deck that complement having a lot of Heroes as well as knowing what comes next in the deck (like T-Spheres and Heroes Unite Locations do).

By the way, I am open to working as a game designer for you. :)

Matt_Hyra
08-10-2015, 11:33 AM
The Superheroes are so dependent on the Time Travel keywords that they are all essentially useless if those 20 cards don't come out in force.

Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, and Cosmic Boy are not dependent on Time Travel. They give TT to other cards in the Line-Up. They are fine Super Heroes even if you aren't playing with Legion.

Phantom Girl tends to buy TT cards, to get the extra +1 Power when played later. Other players tend to TT them while they're in the Line-Up, so that makes them more available to her.

Keep in mind that for the last 7/8ths of the game, there a minimum of 1 Time Travel card out there for everyone to use: The Super-Villain stack.

BenJazz
08-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Slightly off topic, but I gotta say that even with all the negative hype for the Arrow crossover pack I think it has A) a great mechanic that really changes up the gameplay style, and B) art that blends in great with the normal decks. Cryptozoic did a great job in choosing the art... never doubt a master at its trade. It made me really excited to see if/when they do a Flash Television series crossover how great that art is going to look in this too (and hopefully play both sets at once...).