PDA

View Full Version : Stormcoat GIVEAWAY!

hex_colin
08-04-2015, 01:32 PM
I was inspired by peoples' stories of how much blood, sweat, and tears have gone into acquiring a Stormcoat. I have one to give away. All it's going to cost you is your blood, literally! A pint of blood to be precise! ;)

The rules are pretty simple - send me proof (to giveaway AT ratedhex.com) that you've donated a pint of blood (or whatever the measure is in your country) between now and Sunday. I'll have Ne0 draw a winner on his HEXTCG Twitch.tv stream on Monday (August 10th). One entry per person.

Grand Prize: 1 Stormcoat
Everyone who participates (verified blood donation): 5 AoM packs

Do a good deed. Get rewarded! :)

NOTE: Please, please, please block out any particularly sensitive personal information in any proof you send me. I'll also take photos of you with a needle sticking out of your arm and a filled bag of blood! ;) And I'll good image search just to make sure there are no stock photos... :P

nicosharp
08-04-2015, 01:36 PM
haha, that is perfect Colin!
I may just donate regardless of your offer. We are doing a walk for cancer this weekend as well. Got to help society when and where you can.

redman2112
08-04-2015, 01:39 PM
This in unfortunate....I can't give my blood away :(

But this is a great cause, you are such an awesome guy Colin

bwarner
08-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Does it count if you're not eligible to donate in that time frame because you've donated too recently? ;)

hex_colin
08-04-2015, 01:41 PM
Does it count if you're not eligible to donate in that time frame because you've donated too recently? ;)

If you can prove that, I'll accept it!

Colin

Fyren
08-04-2015, 01:43 PM
This is a brilliant idea. Were I not permanently deferred from donating by certain FDA rules regarding male-male contact that apply to the Red Cross, then I would happily rush out and do it this weekend for 5 AoM packs.

bwarner
08-04-2015, 01:44 PM
In my case I actually would be eligible again on Friday, except that I'm now deferred for having visited a Malaria area. But I'm glad to see that regular donors can be recognized too. Great idea for a giveaway!

Mahes
08-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Do you get paper work from donating? Would a sticker do?

Spiredore
08-04-2015, 01:46 PM
That's a magnificent giveaway.

If only my blood wouldn't kill any recipients ...

hex_colin
08-04-2015, 01:50 PM

I'll be pretty lenient. I'm hoping people will take it in the spirit it's intended and do a good deed for the chance. I'm sure a few unscrupulous folks will get through the dragnet. I'll do what I can to make sure it makes it to someone who helped out. :)

bwarner
08-04-2015, 01:51 PM

You get a sheet with some "post donation instructions" and your barcode on it, just take a picture of that.

Miwa
08-04-2015, 01:52 PM
Bummer, they wont take my blood any more (even though they'd love to, because O- and CMV-) because I travel to Malaysia often.

(Not that I need the packs. :P)

Kasbark
08-04-2015, 01:56 PM
Awesome idea! As a regular donor for about 5 years, i've sent proof of my current quarentine since i've donated too recently to go again by monday :)

hex_colin
08-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Awesome idea! As a regular donor for about 5 years, i've sent proof of my current quarentine since i've donated too recently to go again by monday :)

Thank you! :)

Yoss
08-04-2015, 02:11 PM
This might actually get me off my butt and back to the donation center. I usually give several times each year, but haven't yet in 2015.

Kayas42
08-04-2015, 02:12 PM
I am unable to donate blood because I'm on dialysis. Is there any other way I can participate?

bwarner
08-04-2015, 02:24 PM
I am unable to donate blood because I'm on dialysis. Is there any other way I can participate?

I'm sure if you convinced someone else to donate in your place, you could earn the prize that way.

magic_gazz
08-04-2015, 02:29 PM
No luck for me. Found this on the NZ give blood website "You must not have lived in the United Kingdom, France or the Republic of Ireland between 1980 and 1996 for a cumulative 6 months or more ", being English rules me out.

WWKnight
08-04-2015, 02:35 PM
I could do this, and I want to do this. I dont have any real excuse as to why I cant. I just turn in a big flabby ball of fetal position putty at the sight of needles.

Lafoote
08-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Very classy. Hopefully I won't need to participate, but we'll see.

Xexist
08-04-2015, 02:53 PM
I was inspired by peoples' stories of how much blood, sweat, and tears have gone into acquiring a Stormcoat. I have one to give away. All it's going to cost you is your blood, literally! A pint of blood to be precise! ;)

The rules are pretty simple - send me proof (to giveaway AT ratedhex.com) that you've donated a pint of blood (or whatever the measure is in your country) between now and Sunday. I'll have Ne0 draw a winner on his HEXTCG Twitch.tv stream on Monday (August 10th). One entry per person.

Grand Prize: 1 Stormcoat
Everyone who participates (verified blood donation): 5 AoM packs

Do a good deed. Get rewarded! :)

NOTE: Please, please, please block out any particularly sensitive personal information in any proof you send me. I'll also take photos of you with a needle sticking out of your arm and a filled bag of blood! ;) And I'll good image search just to make sure there are no stock photos... :P

For those who cant give blood, anything else would do? Donation to some kinda blood related charity if such a thing exists?

Assassine
08-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Welp, now i wish i had taking pictures recently. Again it is then! :D

I like this one Colin, good idea :)

ksetrat
08-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Good on ya Colin. Like a few others, I'm unable to donate, but, best of luck to the participants!

mainstager
08-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Great idea, Colin! This is something I can get behind!

Baigan
08-04-2015, 04:20 PM
I donated at GenCon but don't have any paperwork; can I take a picture of the needlemark in my arm? :p

NyXDaE
08-04-2015, 06:46 PM
I can't donate...pregnant...do I have another option? :-p

Gwaer
08-04-2015, 07:06 PM
Having someone donate on your behalf seems a possible way to go for anyone who can't donate personally.

Xavon
08-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Ah, I wish I could. MN doesn't allow people with active allergies to donate, in case they actually have an illness instead.

Fyren
08-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Yeah, this is a genuinely wonderful premise for a giveaway - and Colin's premises have been inventive! - but I think between the pregnant, the malaria-risking, the gay/bi males and the expatriate British (EDIT: And the Minnesotan allergic), a number of us are situationally/physiologically excluded from the terms, and for 'behalf,' most of the people I know well enough to ask such a thing... share my deferral condition. Are there reasonable alternatives? Food pantry donations in excess of $10, perhaps?

Cirouss
08-04-2015, 11:27 PM
That is a very cool idea IMO. I was reading through and some of you can't donate blood, I understand that this is a bit frustrating for you, but honestly, this is something bigger that helps people to live and I think that is a new and improved version of doing a giveaway like that.

So even that some might not be able to participate, think of all the people who will and that this is helping to save lifes, I like it a lot :)

Plus as a funny sidenote, Colin was everyday at GenCon and is not even back yet, already organizing the next giveaway :D Was a pleasure to meet you and thank you for doing this! :)

sukebe
08-04-2015, 11:45 PM
aww, I can't donate blood because I was on a US military base in Belgium in the 1980's (apparently there was a case or 2 of mad cow disease during that time period on US military bases in Europe). Oh well, still great that you are doing this as some blood types are in short supply :-)

Hellforge
08-05-2015, 03:27 AM
Made my donation this morning and forwarded my proof to the email Colin. Great idea for a giveaway (although a playset of Vampire Princess would've made sense too :D )
Stay cool,

Hellforge

nickon
08-05-2015, 03:33 AM
You Sir, are a legend!

Fyren
08-05-2015, 03:37 AM
Made my donation this morning and forwarded my proof to the email Colin. Great idea for a giveaway (although a playset of Vampire Princess would've made sense too :D )
Stay cool,

Hellforge

Actually, I like the idea of a multi charity raffle where your charitable contribution gets you entered into a raffle related to the type of act. Vampire Princesses for blood donors; Fifth Books and Scrolls of Yazukan for donors to local libraries and academic institutions...

...Oh gods.

Now I want to play a game where you name a charity, and try to come up with the most awful, entirely wrong card you can create as a raffle prize for it.

e.g. "For donating to Children's Hospitals, you could win a playset of AA Born to Die.

It'd be like Cards Against Humanity: Hex Charity Edition.

Hellforge
08-05-2015, 04:22 AM
Ok, the worst taste one I could come up with:

"For donating to The Association for People Born Deaf, Blind and Dumb you win a playset of Solitary Exile.

I had one about having improper thoughts while buying cookies as well but I couldn't do that to Brown Fox Scout.

nickon
08-05-2015, 06:55 AM
Although a playset of Vampire Princess would've made sense too :D

Right! Start of with a playset of Vampiric Kisses for your first donation, if you donate again afterwards playset of Vampire Princess and if you donated 5x you get a playset of Vampire King.

I think Colin is being overly generous already, but I like your idea Hellforge :)

Mr.Funsocks
08-05-2015, 06:58 AM
Donating blood is hard... Only 36% of the US population is even allowed (http://www.bloodcenters.org/blood-donation/facts-about-blood-donation/). I'm not! For life...

nickon
08-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Donating blood is hard... Only 36% of the US population is even allowed (http://www.bloodcenters.org/blood-donation/facts-about-blood-donation/). I'm not! For life...

Oh noes, that is even worse than being denied a stormcoat by RNG!

I see what you did there Colin ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Mr.Funsocks
08-05-2015, 07:07 AM
Oh noes, that is even worse than being denied a stormcoat by RNG!

I see what you did there Colin ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

I literally just opened my 2nd Stormcoat :-P

I'm just saying, blood donation as a charity is all kinds of messed up.

strawwmann
08-05-2015, 07:10 AM
All it's going to cost you is your blood, literally! A pint of blood to be precise! ;)

Wow, what a generous offer!
What would I get for donating a kidney*.

*Kideny supplied may not be my own.
Medical standards vary by region and no guarantee can be provided that ethical standards will match your own.

wolzarg
08-05-2015, 07:36 AM
I have no idea how to actually prove this but I'm a frequent donator and if i wasn't on a no donation currently because of medications i would have a needle arm picture. I got a text message saying they want me back but that's in swedish so hardly useful.

Would a photo of a teddy bear next to the happy kid i got it for when i donated last time do?

Graydeath
08-05-2015, 12:40 PM
I donated 3 week ago, so i can't do it again for same time... only proof i have is the certificate in italian

hex_colin
08-05-2015, 12:55 PM
I donated 3 week ago, so i can't do it again for same time... only proof i have is the certificate in italian

That'll do! :)

Umaro
08-05-2015, 03:14 PM
I would participate in this, but they only ever want my plasma and I have to schedule that a couple weeks in advance. Stupid AB+ blood. :(

Edit: I do enjoy sitting quietly, eating calcium supplements and watching movies from a very limited selection, though.

wolzarg
08-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Is donor cards actually a thing for giving blood in other places because it certainly isn't here?

nickon
08-06-2015, 12:03 AM
I applied for a donation but it seems like they need to contact you first for a medical checkup before you even become elegible to donate. Seems like 10th of august is too hard of a deadline to donate for new donators (at least in my country it seems)...

Aingeal
08-06-2015, 03:01 AM
I donated plasma earlier this week, so i can't donate any blood for 2 weeks. I suppose this also counts?

poptasticboy
08-06-2015, 03:45 AM
Banned from donating here due to male-male sexual contact - ridiculous outdated rule :(

Patrigan
08-06-2015, 04:00 AM
aww, I can't donate blood because I was on a US military base in Belgium in the 1980's (apparently there was a case or 2 of mad cow disease during that time period on US military bases in Europe). Oh well, still great that you are doing this as some blood types are in short supply :-)

Seriously, what a silly reason not to be allowed to donate blood. I live in Belgium, would be weird none of us were allowed to donate...

That said, my own reason is even sillier: I'm afraid of needles (and it's hard to admit that >.>)

Xenavire
08-06-2015, 04:32 AM
Banned from donating here due to male-male sexual contact - ridiculous outdated rule :(

That is absolutely ridiculous. I assume you go through a medical screening by default, so as long as your blood is as clean as the next persons, it shouldn't matter what your preferences are.

I personally am not in the best place to donate right now (I would have to see if I am even allowed, since this isn't my country of birth, and I have a history of being a little anemic - do they take anemic blood?) If I can though, I'll do so, but not to enter this contest (I already have a stormcoat.)

bwarner
08-06-2015, 05:09 AM
I have a history of being a little anemic - do they take anemic blood?

At least in the US, part of the health check prior to donating is testing your iron level. If your iron level is too low, you will not be allowed to donate.

Xenavire
08-06-2015, 05:14 AM
At least in the US, part of the health check prior to donating is testing your iron level. If your iron level is too low, you will not be allowed to donate.

Well, bummer, I guess I will have to stock up on red meat and iron supplements just to be sure.

tyra
08-06-2015, 07:50 AM
great idea, Colin!

I am myself not allowed to donate blood, for a very stupid reason as well and it pisses me off everytime I get asked to donate but have to say no (one time, I snapped back that I would love to, but they would have to change their discriminatory rules first).

Then again, as Cirouss said, this is for a good cause and I will survive not being part of the raffle ;)

RamzaBehoulve
08-06-2015, 08:14 AM
It's true some rules are stupid. My girlfriend was turned down because she was below just 50 kg, but perfectly healthy at 160cm height.

Fyren
08-06-2015, 10:56 AM
That is absolutely ridiculous. I assume you go through a medical screening by default, so as long as your blood is as clean as the next persons, it shouldn't matter what your preferences are.

It is utterly ridiculous and the only thing that could conceivably make me bitter towards an organization like the Red Cross, but some digging showed that it's not their fault; it's been a US FDA rule since 1977 due to the first AIDS outbreaks and has yet to be overturned. It's actually a rule in a lot of countries. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_who_have_sex_with_men_blood_donor_controversy# List_of_countries_with_their_stand_on_MSM_blood_do nors)

Good news, though, they're thinking of changing it to a 1-year deferral!

:(

wolzarg
08-06-2015, 11:39 AM
That said, my own reason is even sillier: I'm afraid of needles (and it's hard to admit that >.>)
I got that as well because i had a nurse stick me 11 times when i was 6 because she couldn't find the vein. I still go and donate blood its just about personing up.

asdf2000
08-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Colin I might not participate because I am a lazy butthole, but I would like to say that this is a fantastically good thing for you to do.

Mr.Funsocks
08-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I'm forever DQed because of the mad cow scare in Britain. Lived there from 85-87, which is just long enough to DQ you (the years quoted are usually 80-85). It doesn't even make sense now, as while we still don't have a firm grip on prion disease, there has never been an incubation time above I think 15 years before symptom onset.

Also the anti-gay provision is, believe it or not, not based in discrimination. It's based on pretty hard data... from 40 years ago. >_> It's really just based on intractable bureaucracy at this point. Really silly.

Edit: Oh, forgot the funny part. I was 1 year old when I lived in Britain. Ate a lot of hamburgers then!

Fyren
08-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Colin I might not participate because I am a lazy butthole, but I would like to say that this is a fantastically good thing for you to do.

Admittedly, I laughed at this.

"I can't donate because I've been to Malaysia"
"I can't donate because I'm gay"
"I can't donate because I'm British"
"I can't donate because I'm pregnant"
"I can't donate because I'm a lazy butthole."

Xenavire
08-06-2015, 01:55 PM
Admittedly, I laughed at this.

"I can't donate because I've been to Malaysia"
"I can't donate because I'm gay"
"I can't donate because I'm British"
"I can't donate because I'm pregnant"
"I can't donate because I'm a lazy butthole."

Summed up like that, I had to laugh. And me? I don't know yet, but I will try when I can.

wolzarg
08-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Somewhere out there is a gay brit who is pregnant and has been to malaysia feeling lazy and going. No this is justified i can skip doing this one thing.

poptasticboy
08-07-2015, 02:11 AM
It is utterly ridiculous and the only thing that could conceivably make me bitter towards an organization like the Red Cross, but some digging showed that it's not their fault; it's been a US FDA rule since 1977 due to the first AIDS outbreaks and has yet to be overturned. It's actually a rule in a lot of countries. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_who_have_sex_with_men_blood_donor_controversy# List_of_countries_with_their_stand_on_MSM_blood_do nors)

Good news, though, they're thinking of changing it to a 1-year deferral!

:(

Here in UK it's currently a 1 year deferral... but that's not really much different to a lifetime ban in most cases!

On a lighter note, do I need to send proof of sexual contact Colin? :D

Assassine
08-07-2015, 04:31 AM
Well damn. As a first timer, they couldnt take me today, so i can only go on monday. Does that still work Colin? :D
Im in EU, so if all works as it should, i should be done with it by the time you wake up :D

YourOpponent
08-07-2015, 07:07 AM
What about those that don't have proof of donation from blood due to it being recently, but is willing to go donate plasma and provide proof of that?

sukebe
08-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Seriously, what a silly reason not to be allowed to donate blood. I live in Belgium, would be weird none of us were allowed to donate...

actually, you probably could donate, it is just people who lived on American military bases in Belgium and other European countries during the 80's as that is where some infected beef was sent. Still a stupid reason though as I was only 1.5 years old at the time I was living there and still cannot donate :-)

Yeah, I'm forever DQed because of the mad cow scare in Britain. Lived there from 85-87, which is just long enough to DQ you (the years quoted are usually 80-85). It doesn't even make sense now, as while we still don't have a firm grip on prion disease, there has never been an incubation time above I think 15 years before symptom onset.

Also the anti-gay provision is, believe it or not, not based in discrimination. It's based on pretty hard data... from 40 years ago. >_> It's really just based on intractable bureaucracy at this point. Really silly.

Edit: Oh, forgot the funny part. I was 1 year old when I lived in Britain. Ate a lot of hamburgers then!

lol, that is the same problem I have. I was so young I never really ate beef but they still won't let me donate :-(

EtherRush
08-07-2015, 06:52 PM
So... the prizes are a bit ambiguous. I understand that there will be a drawing for the grand prize of 1x Stormcoat, but what about the 5x AoM packs? Is there going to be a drawing for one person to get all 5x AoM packs? Are there going to be 5 drawings for 1x AoM pack per winner? Does EVERYONE who donated blood in that time frame (and provides proof) get 5x AoM packs?

I'll be doing this for AoM packs (I won't try to hide that fact!), so if everyone who provides proof of donating gets 5x AoM packs, I'll go for sure. I've always wanted to donate blood, but have never really been motivated to go. Maybe this will finally push me to start, and to go more frequently.

Xenavire
08-07-2015, 06:56 PM
So... the prizes are a bit ambiguous. I understand that there will be a drawing for the grand prize of 1x Stormcoat, but what about the 5x AoM packs? Is there going to be a drawing for one person to get all 5x AoM packs? Are there going to be 5 drawings for 1x AoM pack per winner? Does EVERYONE who donated blood in that time frame (and provides proof) get 5x AoM packs?

I'll be doing this for AoM packs (I won't try to hide that fact!), so if everyone who provides proof of donating gets 5x AoM packs, I'll go for sure. I've always wanted to donate blood, but have never really been motivated to go. Maybe this will finally push me to start, and to go more frequently.

I believe everyone who donates and proves it gets 5 packs, done deal.

Parzival
08-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Wow I didn't know the craziness spread to Americans living in military bases in the EU! In Australia I was amused when asked if I lived in Britain during the 80s, one of the locals had to fill me.

In Africa they are much, much more worried about Aids than crazy Brits ;)

Sadly the Red Cross won't take my blood - perfectly healthy, I just tend to completely pass out during the process (with the most amazing dreams ever!)

Just wanted to say thank you to all who do donate, if you or anybody you know has ever needed blood - you know how vital a service you are providing :D

Yoss
08-07-2015, 08:38 PM
I went in to give blood today, but computer system went down just as I was validating my questionaire for entry. :(

HoboDevil
08-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Hey, I wanted to drop in: I actually can't enter the raffle because I had cancer as a kid. The flip-side to that is that I 100% owe my life to blood donors. I had Leukemia and had a great deal of blood pumped in/out of me. So to everyone donating: Thank you guys. This rocks and is an incredible thing to see a gaming community do. Major, major kudos to all of you. Big high five to Colin, too, for organizing this.

Chounard
08-07-2015, 09:46 PM
I'm also unable to donate blood due to Mad Cow disease. My dad was in the Army, and we lived on a base in Germany during the late 80's and early 90's. I was over there when the wall came down. Met a bunch of cool people from (what used to be) East Germany.

I'd gladly do a monetary donation ($20?) to the Red Cross, though. :)

Gwaer
08-07-2015, 10:13 PM
One pint of human blood is worth around 350 usd. My blood is worth a bit more than that, but anyone interested can PayPal me 350 bucks and I will ship you proof of a blood donation. ;)

HoboDevil
08-07-2015, 10:15 PM
One pint of human blood is worth around 350 usd. My blood is worth a bit more than that, but anyone interested can PayPal me 350 bucks and I will ship you proof of a blood donation. ;)

Man, I wish my blood wasn't totally worthless! Your liquid assets are much more valuable than mine...

zadies
08-07-2015, 10:26 PM
Actually it is what hospitals pay the redcross when they get blood from them... The redcross doesn't give the blood away for free when they get it. Most blood donation centers make about 70 bucks per pint even accounting for the fact that they have to pay staff, store and transport the blood. They make massive amounts of money off of what people choose to give freely. There wouldn't be a blood shortage if instead of asking for donations people with non-rare blood types/antibodies were actually given a piece of that action, but that will never happen and the rich will just get richer off our donations.

Mr.Funsocks
08-07-2015, 10:28 PM
Actually it is what hospitals pay the redcross when they get blood from them... The redcross doesn't give the blood away for free when they get it. Most blood donation centers make about 70 bucks per pint even accounting for the fact that they have to pay staff, store and transport the blood. They make massive amounts of money off of what people choose to give freely. There wouldn't be a blood shortage if instead of asking for donations people with non-rare blood types/antibodies were actually given a piece of that action, but that will never happen and the rich will just get richer off our donations.

Problem is there's all kinds of ethical issues with paying for voluntary medical procedures. Namely that we'd have a huge population of really anemic poor people...

HoboDevil
08-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Problem is there's all kinds of ethical issues with paying for voluntary medical procedures. Namely that we'd have a huge population of really anemic poor people...

Actually there are some blood centers that do pay for blood. My nephew donated 2-3 times a week at ~50 bucks a pop.

wolzarg
08-07-2015, 10:55 PM
They used to actually pay you in sweden when i was little, my stepfather would get like 7 bucks a glass of juice and a samwich. While my biological father got 50 and had special permission to give a extra time a year because of his incredibly rare blood type.

This obviously caused lots of poor and or sick people to give blood as much as possible and in the end wasn't good for the quality of either the blood or the peoples lives having to sell their blood.

Scod
08-07-2015, 11:54 PM
Thanks very much for the giveaway.
After my wife needed a transfusion after having our daughter, i understand how valuable it is to keep the blood supplies stocked up. I said i would become a regular donor to give back to others after someone had helped my wife.
This gave me added incentive to begin that and this morning i went down and signed up and made my first donation.
Thanks again for the giveaway but even more importantly thank you to everyone who donates to those in need.

kindmime
08-08-2015, 06:36 AM
You do get quite a few things for donating blood and now they have reward points and stuff it has incentive. Some jobs actually offer you a day off if you go donate. I remember starting in high school and college just because I got to eat oreos and apple juice after. Since then I actually appreciate the value of blood but whatever your reason may be its a good deed.

I run a blood drive in my school 3-4 times a year (still convince the kids with oreos and juice).

P.S. What email do we mail the proof to?

zadies
08-08-2015, 07:56 AM

*shakes head* I'm sure there are a number of ethical issues involved. We have really anemic poor population because we as a country refuse to pay a living wage. Anyway this particular thread isn't a place for a political debate, donating blood is great but just don't go around thinking that you are saving someones life with it, you aren't because the person you are saving is having to buy their life. If blood was actually a donation it would go from you to the people that need it at cost which is most certainly doesn't.

wolzarg
08-08-2015, 04:47 PM
*shakes head* I'm sure there are a number of ethical issues involved. We have really anemic poor population because we as a country refuse to pay a living wage. Anyway this particular thread isn't a place for a political debate, donating blood is great but just don't go around thinking that you are saving someones life with it, you aren't because the person you are saving is having to buy their life. If blood was actually a donation it would go from you to the people that need it at cost which is most certainly doesn't...
... in some countries.

Zarien
08-08-2015, 05:32 PM
Just got back from donating an hour or so ago. Thanks again for doing this Colin! Got me off my rear end to donate when it had been awhile since I last donated.

Cato
08-09-2015, 05:10 AM
I was very surprised to learn that some countries actually pay you for giving Blood. It's something which would never cross my mind.

The British National Health Service donation sessions are always heavily over-booked with volunteers. The waiting list is usually 2 months in advance, (at least in the south-west). It's actually advertised and taught as a positive civil duty to give blood here, along with joining the National Organ Donor list for when you die.

I have the somewhat rare universal O negative blood type and if I forget to rebook an appointment every few 4 months I get letters from the NHS reminding me of my duty to donate due to my blood type.

It's a feel good thing to do anyway. I'm also on the Bone Marrow donation register and hope to oneday be a life-saving match for someone. :)

Cato
08-09-2015, 05:25 AM
A few years back I was donating perhaps my 4th session and an elderly gentleman was quietly sitting next me in the Prep area. A nurse came over and sat down next to him and said with some emotion:

"Dr. <Smith>? I was just reviewing your notes before starting, and I though you should know that this is your 90th donation today. From me and all the nurses we just wanted to congratulate you on such an amazing feat and that you will be getting a letter and award from NHS directorate. Thank you for all the lives you have touched."

Someone started to clap and before long all the hall joined in which brought the old boy near to tears. (Brits do not do emotion very well) It was very awe inspiring and noble. You can only donate 3x a year in Britain and the rules are very strict for screening.

Jeevus
08-10-2015, 02:40 AM
I went in to give blood today, but computer system went down just as I was validating my questionaire for entry. :(

Yoss, i'm sorry to say this but: The computer says "No"!

Assassine
08-10-2015, 05:31 AM
I was going to donate today but it seems as a first timer i need to make a special appointment :( Now i have to wait until wednesday.
Going to do it anyway though, its a good thing after all.

hex_colin
08-10-2015, 07:00 AM
Thank you to everyone who participated! <3

I'll be dropping into Ne0's twitch.tv/hextcg stream this afternoon to draw a winner. :)

hex_colin
08-10-2015, 10:34 AM
3 folks I don't have IGNs for: Charron, Monkhouse, and Peppard (all surnames). If you could send me your IGNs either on the forums or by email that would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Zarien
08-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Hey colin, about what time do you think you'll be around on the stream today? Or when does he start streaming today? I'll be around all day, and have it up, but just wanted a ballpark so I can make myself available.

Zarien
08-10-2015, 11:03 AM
@assinine, if its through someone like Blood alliance, you can make an appointment, or be a walk on. Try searching for their mobile centers. Those are much easier, and are open even when the doctors office is closed.

hex_colin
08-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Hey colin, about what time do you think you'll be around on the stream today? Or when does he start streaming today? I'll be around all day, and have it up, but just wanted a ballpark so I can make myself available.

2-3 hours from now.

hex_colin
08-10-2015, 11:17 AM
My sincere thanks to the 21 community folks (+1 HEX team member - thanks, Kyle!) who donated:

Malekith
Gallionne
Ziegen
Duzran
Dawnstar
Timson
lemele
Mainstream
RxDP
EtherRush
JBilbo - CLOUD KING SLEEVES
Charkam
Irysia
Aincrad
Greyhawk - STORMCOAT :)
Beheemoth - CLOUD KING SLEEVES
Aingeal
HELLFORGE
Monkranos
Kaskeep
SpecialCircumstances

I'll send out the packs later this afternoon or this evening. Codes for a Stormcoat and 2 Cloud King Sleeves will be drawn on the official twitch.tv/hextcg stream (starts in ~2 hours or so).

hex_colin
08-10-2015, 04:28 PM
Updated the list with the winners! :) Thanks to Xexist and Terminus for donating Cloud King Sleeves codes!

hex_colin
08-10-2015, 05:40 PM
All of the prizes have been distributed by in-game mail! Congratulations and thank you to all!

http://i.imgur.com/m7CY74r.png

Xexist
08-10-2015, 05:41 PM
Congrats to the winners!