PDA

View Full Version : I had fun this week.

WWKnight
08-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Thank you to the devs and crew at Crypto. Despite the obviously divided community, I really enjoyed a reason to get into the Arena again. I built a whole heap of different decks I otherwise wouldn't have really bothered with. I made a lot more gold than I have in any other period of time. Spun a lot of my chest backlog. Did a few events and used up some constructed tickets that have been collecting dust.

On top of it all, I got enough slippers to open my own shoe store, enough queens to open a high class harem to shelter in during the storm of the century! Sold a few 2013/14 packs to friends nice and cheap to make everyone happy. Even traded my 3 Ozawa AA's to an american friend for gencon sleeves in perpetuity!

In truth, I just finished getting my set of everything. I had to buy my last few Kings and equipment. Traded a CMK AA for the QQCoat. I look back on my time with fondness, instead of aggrivation.

I just wanted to put a little positivity over the event out there, to maybe balance the negativity. I don't really want to weigh in on what is "right" or "wrong" way to do these events. I just want to say thank you for doing it at all.

Xexist
08-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Bless you, brother

regomar
08-05-2015, 10:11 AM
I've really enjoyed it as well. It gave me a reason to grind arena again, and there's a certain excitement to limited events. I wasn't fond of losing out on all the bonus chests, maybe those can be backdated and given out as was suggested in the huge thread? Also, losing to Town Crier bug over and over is getting old. Other than those two things I loved the event!

AdamAoE2
08-05-2015, 10:13 AM
I enjoyed the event as well. Although I was unable to get playsets of AA Ozawa or Pippit, I wasn't expecting to anyway. I did manage to get the three mercenaries from the 2013/2014 packs which is cool. I did manage to snag everything from the 2015 pack with the exception of the fabled Stormcoat. I'm hoping that on final night here, I can get lucky and make it happen!

But seriously - Thanks for the event. It was fun.

WWKnight
08-05-2015, 10:13 AM
? Also, losing to Town Crier bug over and over is getting old. Other than those two things I loved the event!

This. Probably the biggest source of irritation I encountered. When Arena first launched, they had problems with the sensei, and they removed him until it was fixed. I wish they did the same with Hero of Adamanth for this event (or, for no reason other than because its frustrating and we shouldnt have to deal with it for so long).

nicosharp
08-05-2015, 10:18 AM
It would be a lie if I said I had "fun" grinding arena, losing in draft, and getting beat by the same guy twice in 2x of my sealed gauntlet runs.....
but......
It would not be a lie to say it was pretty cool and exhilarating to see a convocation pack pop up in the loot table after you kill a boss. The anticipation after each boss kill. It was fun to explore and test new PvE equipment, and deck ideas based on those equipment to gauge effectiveness, and to share with the community. It was fun to see more players in the guild active and talking, even if the talk leaned more towards bragging or bitching about drop luck :)

Nice to have these events, and I hope some healthy dialogue and tuning come out of it, and help make future events even better and more appreciated.

WWKnight
08-05-2015, 10:26 AM
I made pretty much every deck you've posted this week Nico. Thanks! :)

Lafoote
08-05-2015, 10:40 AM
It would not be a lie to say it was pretty cool and exhilarating to see a convocation pack pop up in the loot table after you kill a boss. Nice to have these events, and I hope some healthy dialogue and tuning come out of it, and help make future events even better and more appreciated.

These parts you hit right on the head. I still feel this can be done better, but I like the spirit of the event. No matter what, somebody is going to be unhappy with the loot distribution. In this case, I was among them. I'm looking forward to Friday's update in hopes of hearing Crypto's thoughts on the event, both at GenCon, and our lengthy discussions. I'd like to know if it went how they expected, what they liked, and maybe what they think could be tweaked as well.

I'm also hoping for a little word about the state of the arena, and when we can expect fixes.

Trothael
08-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Outside of bugs, I've had fun during this event. The spirit of it has been fantastic, but my feelings on the downsides have already been made clear.

I look forward to next year, whether or not CZE change things.

vickrpg
08-05-2015, 11:14 AM
I enjoy these types of events, regardless of disagreeing with what the rewards are or should be.

I will do these every chance I get, even if they started rewarding rocks...

Rock
Artifact, 1
This does nothing.
"It's just a rock. Why did you put it in your deck?"

of course, I'd expect AA rocks.

Vorpal
08-05-2015, 11:17 AM
I think CZE definitely deserves credit for putting on this event, creating a wonderfully thematic set of pve cards and equipment with beautiful art, and putting them out in packs, all while busy with trying to handle gencon

The execution was sorely lacking, and I hope lessons were learned, but as always, CZE shows their heart is in the right place.

Trothael
08-05-2015, 11:19 AM
Rock
Artifact, 1
This does nothing.
"It's just a rock. Why did you put it in your deck?"

Boulder Throwing Jersey
Equipment - Chest
Baby Yeti's in your deck get "Rock's in your hand have Boulder Toss' effect"

Vorsa
08-05-2015, 11:51 AM
I had lots o' fun with the Convocation, though I do think either the range or scarcity of loot was a bit off...

This is a week off work for me, but even with an unhealthy amount of Hex'ing (using a lavish speed deck) I won't have gotten 1 of the items or a single copy of 2 of the AA's from packs.

Not saying there shouldn't be chase items, but if I hadn't taken a week off then this event would literally have been 4 Cloud Queens + an invitation to open wallet.

I think a good middle ground in future would be a smaller loot table with less legendaries (other years should have less loot anyway as this vent was covering 2), and/or putting pieces of loot behind gates e.g. 1 specific piece of equipment for logging in on each day.

Thank you for the Gax-ortunity, Crypto.

Elwinz
08-05-2015, 11:54 AM
I had ton of fun till today when game decided to not let me in game ...

Svenn
08-05-2015, 11:54 AM
I'm soured enough from this that I'm having a hard time even getting motivated to log in for my free draft right now, which has never happened before. I gave up on farming last night and just went and found a new game to play.

And I DID get my full playset (for about 20k plat).

ksetrat
08-05-2015, 01:10 PM
While I didn't get to play nearly as much as I wanted to (preparing for burning man and LoJ), the time i spent in game was mostly enjoyable. At the very least, I made a couple people's day as they posted in trade chat about some commons/uncommons they wanted and when i finished the arena boss, i saved and sent them the cards before going back to it.

I have more equipment as a whole than i know what to do with, but... i managed to get a portion of the promo stuff that i wanted, and got a bunch of other stuff that wasn't part of the event to add to my collection as well. I went into a couple gauntlets, and while i'm not the best at sealed did manage a few wins, and did a draft as well which didn't end nearly as nice for me. lol.

ah well. was an interesting ride, that is for sure.

EntropyBall
08-05-2015, 01:31 PM
I had lots o' fun with the Convocation, though I do think either the range or scarcity of loot was a bit off...

This is a week off work for me, but even with an unhealthy amount of Hex'ing (using a lavish speed deck) I won't have gotten 1 of the items or a single copy of 2 of the AA's from packs.

Not saying there shouldn't be chase items, but if I hadn't taken a week off then this event would literally have been 4 Cloud Queens + an invitation to open wallet.

I think a good middle ground in future would be a smaller loot table with less legendaries (other years should have less loot anyway as this vent was covering 2), and/or putting pieces of loot behind gates e.g. 1 specific piece of equipment for logging in on each day.

Thank you for the Gax-ortunity, Crypto.

To me, it was frustrating that by far the best way to get stuff was to farm t1 arena. I would much rather play draft, sealed, or gauntlet, but I was out of town until monday and can't possibly get in enough games of that to get the PVE cards, so I'm kicking the shit out of Storm Cloud for the 500th time.

This is not to say I wish the rate there was lower, but rather than the rates everywhere else were higher. I'm still not going to get a PVE playset with the time I can spend grinding on Mentor of the Grave.

Xexist
08-05-2015, 01:36 PM
To me, it was frustrating that by far the best way to get stuff was to farm t1 arena. I would much rather play draft, sealed, or gauntlet, but I was out of town until monday and can't possibly get in enough games of that to get the PVE cards, so I'm kicking the shit out of Storm Cloud for the 500th time.

Truthfully I have DC, and I had much better luck dropping packs in proving grounds

Prominis
08-05-2015, 01:42 PM
I find that the event was, if anything, a very good incentive to grind out some gold in the arena, even if the actual convocation packs were scarce and only appeared after hours upon hours of grinding.

But hey, at least I got one 13/14 pack out of it and a single copy of each storm card (plus one king), so I guess it was worth ~30 hours.

zadies
08-05-2015, 02:26 PM
I find it funny people complaining about the prices where if the items had been gencon only they would have been 20x more expensive then they are now when you could earn them. I hope next year they decide just not to have any event at all to coincide with their gencon give away due to all the vitriol on the forums about it.

Mejis
08-05-2015, 03:17 PM
I find that the event was, if anything, a very good incentive to grind out some gold in the arena, even if the actual convocation packs were scarce and only appeared after hours upon hours of grinding.

But hey, at least I got one 13/14 pack out of it and a single copy of each storm card (plus one king), so I guess it was worth ~30 hours.

I will second this. I have had a lot of fun grinding arena because of the chance of convo packs dropping (such excitement when you see one appear -- and even better that you can save out of arena and open it there and then!), plus the bonus of actually acquiring a lot of gold and rolling all my AoM rare chests (no double upgrades, bah Kismet, but wrangled a few legendary chests from it).

I only got a smattering of 2015 packs, and no 2013/2014, but oh well.
Even though I only managed to acquire 2x Storm Queen, 1x Storm of the Century, and 2x Slippers, it was still a lot of fun. I am at peace that I won't have a full set of the storm cards (at least for now, maybe I will buy them in time), so it's all OK.

I will say, however, that the excitement of the Arena loot chance is something I'd love to see implemented on a non-time-based basis. I know we already have Arena drops of varying rarity, but this could be expanded so much further. Without a time limit, the % chance of getting convo packs feels about right to scratch that MMO loot-based itch. Uruu is just so rare that I have given up hope of ever seeing him, but hitting a convo pack once ever two or three runs, now that was satisfying.

Fyren
08-05-2015, 03:35 PM
I will say, however, that the excitement of the Arena loot chance is something I'd love to see implemented on a non-time-based basis. I know we already have Arena drops of varying rarity, but this could be expanded so much further. Without a time limit, the % chance of getting convo packs feels about right to scratch that MMO loot-based itch. Uruu is just so rare that I have given up hope of ever seeing him, but hitting a convo pack once ever two or three runs, now that was satisfying.

As this is the designated positivity thread, I will go and agree that this was a thrill. The 2013 I got this morning before work brightened my afternoon considerably.

Oroniss
08-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I wanted to chime in here with my thoughts too. Aside from a few minor things, I think the event has been great.

I really like the PvE cards and equipment, they are very thematic, and the AA storm cloud art is one of my favourite pieces in the game, and I love that it gets even better with EA, that was a nice touch.

Miwa
08-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Awful lot of sour grapes, and that'll suck because it'll prevent Hex from doing something fun like this again.

It was certainly more fun having a grind target other than Urunaaz, who I still haven't seen....

Fyren
08-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Awful lot of sour grapes, and that'll suck because it'll prevent Hex from doing something fun like this again.

It was certainly more fun having a grind target other than Urunaaz, who I still haven't seen....

Sour grapes refers to devaluing an unattainable reward, which does not seem like what is happening. No one is denying that Convocation packs are valuable. :p

Mr.Funsocks
08-05-2015, 07:06 PM
I've been pretty sorely disappointed, at least in terms of fun. They did about as well as they could have with the circumstances they had, but a lot of stuff conspired to make this less than fun.

The weekend after release weekend meant I was already facing a bit of "event burnout", and would have been much happier with a break. It also meant that I hadn't really had a chance to sit down with all the new content and figure out decks - between the new set and the 100s of new pieces of equipment, there was just no chance, with my actual "having a job" state now.

The fact that Arena is also so incredibly stale right now (and actually a bit worse since the patch, since so many new AI dumb plays got introduced) made playing it to get packs unpleasant. But since I needed gold anyway to roll all the new chests, and I had spent all I was willing to spend on PvP during the release celebration (and hadn't had time to play the AH a bit to earn some plat back), that was pretty much all I had to play.

When you add in the pretty obnoxious bugs that didn't get squashed before the event and the server stress over the weekend, the Arena was really unpleasant...

The incredible rarity of the 2013/2014 packs is my only real complaint. I have an almost complete set of the 2015 stuff now, and I got one single 2013/2014 pack the entire time, and to be frank that kind of sucks. That's the only thing I feel they could have done better.

Most of it is not really a thing I can fault CZE for, they tried to have an extra week between but bugs happened, and Gencon comes now, not 3 months from now when the new PvE should be in to give some variety. But it is how it is, and it wasn't much fun to me.

Goliath764
08-05-2015, 07:17 PM
I find it funny people complaining about the prices where if the items had been gencon only they would have been 20x more expensive then they are now when you could earn them. I hope next year they decide just not to have any event at all to coincide with their gencon give away due to all the vitriol on the forums about it.

I have the same opinion as you. The event puts more Convocation packs into the system yet people are saying the drop rate is not enough and so on. Well, without the event, there will be even less Convocation packs in the system. Not to mention, Convocation packs are super rare by design, at least in my personal understanding. I might be agreeing with people saying the 1 week window is too short and so on if this event is giving out an unique "Hex 2015" pack with different content from Convocation 2015 but at it currently stands, we are getting things that are originally meant to be given to people at Gen Con only.

Mr.Funsocks
08-05-2015, 07:21 PM
we are getting things that are originally meant to be given to people at Gen Con only.

Except at the time everyone agreed that was a stupid idea so it was changed, so it's not much of a point...

thereck
08-05-2015, 07:34 PM
I got the full storm cloud deck -storm coat, so it's useless, but its kinda nice to see sitting in the dragons horde never to be played with.

and I pulled one of each merc, and have 3000p worth of packs in my inventory.

that's a pretty good event in my book, I just can't use the deck or mercs I won.

zadies
08-05-2015, 07:36 PM
No Mr.Funsocks Cory never said it was a stupid idea but bowed to forum pressure to allow you a chance to get the items, and now the people on the forums are complaining well not good enough. I'm sorry but this is what CZE gets for trying to be nice they should NEVER bow to pressure again because we are a bunch of ungrateful children.

Xenavire
08-05-2015, 07:46 PM
No Mr.Funsocks Cory never said it was a stupid idea but bowed to forum pressure to allow you a chance to get the items, and now the people on the forums are complaining well not good enough. I'm sorry but this is what CZE gets for trying to be nice they should NEVER bow to pressure again because we are a bunch of ungrateful children.

Considering we were essentially asking for a digital pass option to just get all the digital items for a flat fee, the actual implementation is far from what we requested. So it isn't unreasonable to expect people to still be upset.

Voormas
08-05-2015, 07:50 PM
I have had a lot of fun as well, thanks for all the effort that has gone into the last couple of weeks!

Having the convocation has been fun, I just hope that next time there are maybe fewer rewards so that the rarer ones don't end up stupidly expensive (regular expensive is fine by me :p)

thereck
08-05-2015, 07:54 PM

wait wait wait, for 2013 gencon they said they wanted a chest to spawn with a chance at gencon stuff with every pack opened, they never followed through on this (its been two years and we can just now open chests), but they've planned on digital gencon since the kickstarter.

Fyren
08-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Ultimately, As another positive note, I did get what I truly wanted from the event, which was a single AA Ozawa. I did this by selling a Stormcoat for 5000 once I knew how much they were freakin' worth, then buying him with a bunch left over.

And now I has Howling Star Puppy.

So despite all the things I said in the other thread about the feel of the grind and the DC people, thank you for the Ozawa, Hex. I shall treasure him. ^.^

zadies
08-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Considering we were essentially asking for a digital pass option to just get all the digital items for a flat fee, the actual implementation is far from what we requested. So it isn't unreasonable to expect people to still be upset.

The people that attended gencon didn't get guaranteed rewards so why do you think you should be ever so deserving?

Svenn
08-05-2015, 08:46 PM
we are getting things that are originally meant to be given to people at Gen Con only.

Actually, the in-game events were planned from pretty much the beginning. They were never meant to be Gen Con only.

Svenn
08-05-2015, 08:47 PM
The people that attended gencon didn't get guaranteed rewards so why do you think you should be ever so deserving?

The people at GenCon SHOULD have been guaranteed rewards. It's a stupid system.

Phenteo
08-05-2015, 08:56 PM
The people at GenCon SHOULD have been guaranteed rewards. It's a stupid system.

You were able to play many times over, several of those who attended GenCon got sets of all the rewards essentially. Many were our streamers who were playing solely so they could give out the codes on their streams to players who were unable to attend.

WWKnight
08-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Ultimately, As another positive note, I did get what I truly wanted from the event, which was a single AA Ozawa. I did this by selling a Stormcoat for 5000 once I knew how much they were freakin' worth, then buying him with a bunch left over.

And now I has Howling Star Puppy.

So despite all the things I said in the other thread about the feel of the grind and the DC people, thank you for the Ozawa, Hex. I shall treasure him. ^.^
I got my playset at Gencon in 2013. I think they so ugly, every deck ive made with Ozawa (all one of them) uses the proper art. I gave one away during the charity event to give as a prize, and I traded my other three with Gwaer so he can hook me up with Gencon sleeves from every gencon he goes to from now until the end of time.

I dont see how anyone can enjoy that picture >.> Especially compared to the beautiful piece that is the original.

israel.kendall
08-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Had a blast during this event! Was awesome to finally get these old gencon mercs available, can't wait til we can use them.

Fyren
08-05-2015, 09:17 PM
I got my playset at Gencon in 2013. I think they so ugly, every deck ive made with Ozawa (all one of them) uses the proper art. I gave one away during the charity event to give as a prize, and I traded my other three with Gwaer so he can hook me up with Gencon sleeves from every gencon he goes to from now until the end of time.

I dont see how anyone can enjoy that picture >.> Especially compared to the beautiful piece that is the original.

There might be a bit of rarity beautification going on, but the coloring on the original weirds me out, and I remain contented with mine. ^.^ Certainly wanted it more than a Stormcoat, which appears to be a questionably-necessary gear for an okay arena deck valued only for, again, rarity.

But that's what trading is for, nya? Mutually beneficial exchange is magic.

zadies
08-05-2015, 09:27 PM
Fyren actually if they do anything to value stable decks vs speed decks in the release the deck is going to be quite powerful. The defensive power and stability of an elemental deck is actually quite high.

Fyren
08-05-2015, 09:29 PM
Fyren actually if they do anything to value stable decks vs speed decks in the release the deck is going to be quite powerful. The defensive power and stability of an elemental deck is actually quite high.

Sure, it might be, but I'll be shocked if there aren't/won't be a large number of ways to still achieve that without a 5000p piece of gear.

Xenavire
08-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Stormcoat is going to be a combo piece. It won't be necessary to play content, but it has enough potential to be a major player in any charge based deck - it will have a home eventually, and people without it will have to put up with it being potentially very good.

Knowing how to build the right deck for it is key though, and I think we need a few more enablers. I don't know if all that equates to justifying the price tag, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it gain value.

Fyren
08-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Stormcoat is going to be a combo piece. It won't be necessary to play content, but it has enough potential to be a major player in any charge based deck - it will have a home eventually, and people without it will have to put up with it being potentially very good.

Knowing how to build the right deck for it is key though, and I think we need a few more enablers. I don't know if all that equates to justifying the price tag, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it gain value.

I will kick myself then and enjoy the cash and the Ozawa now. :p

EDIT: Let me put it another way, though: If an eventlocked piece of 5000p equipment somehow becomes actually essential to High-end PvE play, people will set the servers on fire. It'll make what happened to Jon the Hamster look like a mild sunburn. :p

My bet is that the devs will be smarter than this.

WWKnight
08-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I think you are absolutely right in making the trade that makes you happiest. Ive been berated for passing an AA CMK for my armor piece (imagine how happy we could have made each other if we knew of each other before this event ended!)

IronPheasant
08-06-2015, 12:58 AM

He's a gigantic space puppy in space.

frychikn
08-06-2015, 04:53 AM
Hey WWKnight i recognize your name from infinity wars... i wish there was a place i could sell my collection lol.

i didnt mind this event, i just wish i knew tier 1 gave rewards til the last second.

WWKnight
08-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Yeah I know. I backed IW the same amount I backed Hex. I could probably get 300% or 400% times the amount back for my Hex collection. Id be lucky to get 90% back for my IW cards -_-

And this is coming from someone who worked for them.

Hieronymous
08-06-2015, 06:25 AM

Yeah, the real downside of the elemental deck in Frost Ring is two things:

1) It has a hard time with War Bot (and sometimes with Paladin of Nagaan) if they get very aggressive starts, and

2) It takes a little longer to do a run than the ruby aggro Xocoy decks do.

Otherwise though it's fun and powerful and can beat Uruunaaz. Overall it's about on par with a solid, well-built Dwarf Robots deck pre-Armies of Myth release -- a little slow to get board position but very effective once you do.

Overall yeah I really enjoyed the event, especially once I figured out that statistically I was better off reselling packs than opening them. I managed to get one of each 2015 reward (except the sleeve? Maybe?), a playset of all the PvE 2016 cards, a full loadout of gear including Stormcoat (snagged on the AH before prices went up) and enough extra packs and spare PvE cards to resell & cover the cost of the Stormcoat plus a significant amount left over. Plus I beat Urunaaz once and ground enough gold to finish rolling almost all my Set 1&2 chests, with rewards from that also (water elemental, AA MoT, etc.).

WWKnight
08-06-2015, 06:37 AM
Im trying the elemental deck out now (think its the one you posted even). It seems like a lot of fun, but I think I wanna tinker with it and make it more of a reanimation style deck.

Overall, I am glad I got all the pieces for it. It is a lot of fun to play.

Hieronymous
08-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Im trying the elemental deck out now (think its the one you posted even). It seems like a lot of fun, but I think I wanna tinker with it and make it more of a reanimation style deck.

Overall, I am glad I got all the pieces for it. It is a lot of fun to play.

Yeah, I'm still tinkering with the one I posted too. Century's double-ruby, double-sapphire threshold makes the deck kindof finicky, and it doesn't beat War Bot with anything like the reliability I'd like, among other issues. Still when it comes together it's all kinds of fun.

I got the full storm cloud deck -storm coat, so it's useless, but its kinda nice to see sitting in the dragons horde never to be played with.

and I pulled one of each merc, and have 3000p worth of packs in my inventory.

that's a pretty good event in my book, I just can't use the deck or mercs I won.

I think there's still a good elemental deck out there that doesn't use Stormcoat, but it's probably tri-shard using the Air Elemental's Bubble Mail, which isn't cheap either.

Fred
08-06-2015, 07:16 AM
Thank you to the devs and crew at Crypto. Despite the obviously divided community, I really enjoyed a reason to get into the Arena again. I built a whole heap of different decks I otherwise wouldn't have really bothered with. I made a lot more gold than I have in any other period of time. Spun a lot of my chest backlog. Did a few events and used up some constructed tickets that have been collecting dust.

It's quite refreshing to have a positive thread after all the complaining we've had lately. You seem to have understood what this game is about, which is "having fun".

I don't understand people complaining that they didn't have fun grinding the arena this week. I mean... if you don't have fun playing a game, why do you even play it? This is not your day job. You don't have to grind. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it. I too did enjoy the event (even though I didn't get a single Storm of the Century, let alone a Stormcoat), and I hope there are more events like this one to come.

Lafoote
08-06-2015, 07:25 AM
It's quite refreshing to have a positive thread after all the complaining we've had lately. You seem to have understood what this game is about, which is "having fun".

I don't understand people complaining that they didn't have fun grinding the arena this week. I mean... if you don't have fun playing a game, why do you even play it? This is not your day job. You don't have to grind. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it. I too did enjoy the event (even though I didn't get a single Storm of the Century, let alone a Stormcoat), and I hope there are more events like this one to come.

So you can have fun with the rewards later. The pressure cooker of the time gate, double RNG coupled with the slew of Arena problems teamed up to siphon most of the fun out of the event. I'm happy with the destination, though not as much the journey.

Vorpal
08-06-2015, 07:29 AM
The fact that Arena is also so incredibly stale right now (and actually a bit worse since the patch, since so many new AI dumb plays got introduced) made playing it to get packs unpleasant.

Yes, and as you note, there were also the two big issues in Arena that all the bonus chests were missing, (I never got one the entire event) and that the town crier still hangs your game against hero of adamanth (who is already one of my least favorite heroes to fight). I'm not sure why that guy wasn't disabled.

It would have been REALLY good to resolve these before the event. Running into these issues over and over definitely made the arena portion a bit less fun than normal.

Then the arena was extremely laggy on Saturday, which is probably just a load issue, and not one I think hex can have prevented. Still didn't help things.

Vorpal
08-06-2015, 07:33 AM

Yeah, this is not correct. The original idea has always been to have these 'digital' conventions, since it is a digital game, and make these items available in some way to people who cannot physically attend. most of us thought a pass system would be a good idea, and at one point there was the idea you could get them from opening chests during gencon, which was canned because it would encourage hoarding until cons.

Xenavire
08-06-2015, 07:40 AM
Guys... Zadies is right. Cory and HexEnt had never promised to give out convention items during the KS. That idea came much later (in fact I believe the issue came up right when the gencon items for 2013 were spoiled, well after the KS had ended.)

It was a decision based on feedback, just like the card+t-shirt idea was scrapped because of negative feedback.

On topic, I find the mindless grinding, that was not fun, a good investment for future fun, not only for myself, but my family members, so in that sense the event was great fun value. The actual process has burned me out somewhat though, so I will hibernate this weekend and do something other than play Hex.

Hieronymous
08-06-2015, 07:52 AM
Guys... Zadies is right. Cory and HexEnt had never promised to give out convention items during the KS. That idea came much later (in fact I believe the issue came up right when the gencon items for 2013 were spoiled, well after the KS had ended.)

It was a decision based on feedback, just like the card+t-shirt idea was scrapped because of negative feedback.

On topic, I find the mindless grinding, that was not fun, a good investment for future fun, not only for myself, but my family members, so in that sense the event was great fun value. The actual process has burned me out somewhat though, so I will hibernate this weekend and do something other than play Hex.

I think a lot of the angst people are feeling about the grind for this event is in part due to the timing. This week-long event right after the AoM release weekend meant that top-end "competitive" players probably just spent two full weeks grinding the bejeesus out of the game. A certain amount of burnout after that is probably to be expected.

plaguedealer
08-06-2015, 07:55 AM
I think a lot of the angst people are feeling about the grind for this event is in part due to the timing. This week-long event right after the AoM release weekend meant that top-end "competitive" players probably just spent two full weeks grinding the bejeesus out of the game. A certain amount of burnout after that is probably to be expected.

I agree, aom was scheduled to be released earlier so that would have helped with the burn out. I want to say I also had fun and I hope we have more events like this.

Xenavire
08-06-2015, 08:02 AM
I loved the release event (got 6 dukes, had a lot of fun with decks) but I was already pretty burned out on arena before this week, so those factors along with bugs did get to me more than the average. Still did well, and I will reap the rewards later.

DocX
08-06-2015, 08:19 AM
You were able to play many times over, several of those who attended GenCon got sets of all the rewards essentially. Many were our streamers who were playing solely so they could give out the codes on their streams to players who were unable to attend.

I was only able to spend between 4 and 6 hours playing at GenCon and got a playset of equipment and most of a playset of the cards. I also got at least a half dozen of the Deck Sleeves.

I do wish the in-game version was a little more liberal with the rewards (a single run through Arena would get me one pack per defeated boss, whereas my average for in-game arena seems to be 1 2015 pack per run), but overall I think it's ok. I haven't seen any of the 2014 or 2013 rewards after a half dozen or so arena runs, FYI. But as far as what was available to the in-person folks at GenCon, the Hex folks were very generous and it was quite doable to get whatever cards/equipment you wanted if that was your desire with a reasonable time investment.

Vorpal
08-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Had a blast during this event! Was awesome to finally get these old gencon mercs available, can't wait til we can use them.

I too am super psyched for mercs. I bought the 2013 ones from the AH, and rolled a couple more WOF ones with the gold I got from arena.

Vorpal
08-06-2015, 08:28 AM
I was only able to spend between 4 and 6 hours playing at GenCon and got a playset of equipment and most of a playset of the cards. I also got at least a half dozen of the Deck Sleeves.

Ah, good, sounds like those who went to Gencon did really well in the event stuff compared to everyone else (which I am totally fine with). In the arena 4-6 hours would lead you to about a single 2015 convocation pack, according to my numbers.

Elwinz
08-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Vorapal trhats not quite true. I had times when i could get 4 packs in less than 3 hours. It was very random. All my fun got destroyed by recent events ..

TOOT
08-06-2015, 09:58 AM

Good point. If there was no Duke event the very week before and was say 2 months apart from any other grindfest, things wouldn't be presumed as bad as they were.

Vorpal
08-06-2015, 10:40 AM
I honestly didn't mind the two events back to back. I grinded pvp for release to get the pvp cards, and pve for convocation to get the pve cards. I was doing completely different things so didn't feel fatigued in that sense.

TJTaylor
08-06-2015, 11:02 AM

I have to agree. The original art work is so much better. I feel the same about murder.

Anyways, since this is the more positive thread regarding the convocation I just wanted to say thanks to HXE for giving us the opportunity to obtain Gencon items in the game client. As someone who just can't make it to cons anymore, I really appreciated this. I grinded the crap out of draft, constructed gauntlet, and arena. Never played so much arena before...

Didn't get everything but I never expected that to happen so I'm just happy that I was able to obtain what I have. The mercs were what I was really after and I managed to snag them so cheers. Looking forward to next years event!

asdf2000
08-06-2015, 11:23 AM
I just came back recently to get some play in. Set 3 is fun (even if the % that titania's majesty can win on turn 3 is a little frustrating), and gauntlet is an AMAZING addition to the game !

N3rd4Christ
08-06-2015, 11:28 AM
I am deffinetly burnt out. 2 weeks was a lot. I will rate draft my Weekly Tickets and Relax!

Daer
08-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Yeah I'm in rare draft weekly tickets mode for a while.

Khazrakh
08-06-2015, 11:36 AM
Come and join my draft than guys ;)
I had a blast last weekend, didn't get to play much afterwards but still had fun.
Still got that urge to play more Hex...

Elwinz
08-06-2015, 11:42 AM
I am not burnt out at all. I am mad that my account is locked and i coludnt enjoy it ...

majin
08-06-2015, 12:05 PM
i had a blast this week too.

i set my mind to a single thought "KEEP RUNNING THE ARENA DURING MY BREAKS" but I ended up only running it 3x when the event started and I think I got 1 2015 packs from that run.

I have a great speed decks but I find it boring to keep doing it again and again as I already did that before when farming for my chest rolls and a playset of the AA cards (though I completed most of them by selling my set 1 packs).

i ended up with "RUNNING THE GAUNTLET AGAIN AND AGAIN" during my breaks and i had a blast

i didn't always win but I think I had a decent record because I simply sell the legendaries that I pick and then use the plat to buy packs from other people or the store (got me 1 primal, thanks CZE) and i just did this over and over + 2 comp drafts

it might not be a great method to farm the packs time wise but I managed to complete my common and uncommons playset of set 3 and I got a lot of rares using this method

i opened 6 (i think) 2013 packs and didn't get the AA ozawa but I opened 26 2015 packs and got 7 cloud king and 5 storm of the century so I am very satisfied with it ^____^

my wife ran the arena during the event (kept asking me for cards on new decks she kept building) but she ran it just for fun and didn't get lucky with any convo packs

i look forward to more events like this in the future but I hope they deal with the server lag as I don't think the current server can handle that load which causes a lot of delays, disconnection and bugs

overall, great job CZE

nicosharp
08-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Let me just say that I farmed as much as humanly possible, while maintaining as much work-life balance as possible.
I got a Convo drop 2 minutes after the event started, and 4 minutes right before the event ended... :)