PDA

View Full Version : So how's that tablet version coming?

Mr.Funsocks
08-07-2015, 07:52 AM
We haven't heard an update on it in a while, and I've started wondering. Also my new job apparently gives all their teachers tablets to use for "work". Yeah, like that's gonna happen...

Watching Cirouss' video of GenCon really made the event look... unexciting. I mean, I'm sure it actually was, but no one was really talking to one another, which has always been a hallmark (to me) of playing games together. They just had a big screen to stare at. having it on a mobile device could make it so you'd actually be able to find the person you're playing against, and sit next to 'em at an event like that, which would make it way cooler.

Lukezors
08-07-2015, 09:35 AM
I can't wait for tablet support. Grinding arena would be so much more bearable if I could do it wile watching tv

Saeijou
08-07-2015, 09:40 AM
Use Teamviewer or other apps for Remote Access. Works quite well!
I guess the App will take a while :/

TheKraken
08-07-2015, 09:45 AM
I've been playing it on my iPad for a while :)

You've have to stream it from your desktop and there is lag but it's very minimal. You'll need to install Splashtop on both devices and it's free if you do it on the same network. Another tip is to use the windowed full screen program with it - I don't have the name of the program until I get home. This method is very functional and helped me with the convocation arena grinding. You can do everything and it also streams the sound.

I hope a native tablet support comes soon though.

N3rd4Christ
08-07-2015, 10:01 AM
The lag kills it for me. I've tried most VNC clients.

poptasticboy
08-07-2015, 11:01 AM
I play on a hybrid laptop/tablet (Asus Transformer Book Flip) and it works pretty well in tablet mode already! The only real issue I have is when I need to press the Esc key - I have to unfold the keyboard back to Laptop mode.

nicosharp
08-07-2015, 11:04 AM
If they wait a few more years for this, Tablets will be as powerful as desktops are now, so no special reqs needed :)

Vorpal
08-07-2015, 11:07 AM
It works reasonably well on the microsoft surface 3 pro, which is basically a tablet.

Zophie
08-07-2015, 11:19 AM
To answer the OP's question, the last official comments I've seen regarding tablet support were in a WhatGear interview with Gameforge back in March of this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDomDs4o9Ds&t=4m10s (Starts at 4:10)

They say they have concrete plans regarding iOS tablets "in the future" but he was extremely hesitant to confirm Android releases at all which was a little disappointing. It's definitely easier to port/test on iOS so I can understand iOS coming first but it would have been nice to at least be more confident that Android would be coming at some point later. I might be reading too much into it though, since I am an Android user and definitely biased ;)

If anyone has any more recent quotes/info on this feel free to share.

the_artic_one
08-07-2015, 11:33 AM
It's definitely easier to port/test on iOS
For unity it's not really easier to port, android porting is usually easier.

That said, all games make more money on iOS so it always gets priority.

Zophie
08-07-2015, 11:41 AM
It's really not since they messed up testflight.

For unity it's not easier to port either, android porting is usually easier.

Yeah I'm just going off of what I've generally heard from a lot of developers, even with Unity there's still so many variations of Android devices compared to iOS so testing is a lot more time/resource consuming process.

ISawDivinity
08-07-2015, 11:56 AM
It might be easier to get it onto Android but the back end work of keeping it up to date is way higher then it is for iOS.

trapline
08-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Hex could somewhat get ahead in the tablet department by building an in game pop up keyboard, complete with hexcentric keys like shard icons etc.

this would allow virtual streaming to devices a usable keyboard, and windows 10 tablet users an option as well.

Tablets are a long ways off, playing on the surface pro is sluggish and very cooling intensive, a lot of optimization and slimming down to essentials would help, but by the time we get there the problems may be eased by a more robust tech cycle and even better streaming software.

Regardless the first place to start would be the keyboard design as it would satisfy the do it yourself crowd and as a side benefit probably evolve into impromptu beta testing for eventual tablet clients

N3rd4Christ
08-07-2015, 02:16 PM
To this day I have everything I want from hex. Except tablet version. Once released I feel bad for my spare time! Lol

Mr.Funsocks
08-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I've been streaming from my couch using Chrome Remote desktop on my chromebook, but the problem with all streaming programs is I have 2 monitors... aside from disabling one (which screws up my desktop icons) virtually all streaming software freaks the eff out.

Zophie
08-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I've been streaming from my couch using Chrome Remote desktop on my chromebook, but the problem with all streaming programs is I have 2 monitors... aside from disabling one (which screws up my desktop icons) virtually all streaming software freaks the eff out.

I have 4 monitors and Chrome Remote works fine for me, is yours trying to change your resolution or something? Mine just locks the view to the cursor and it just pans around the 7680x1080 desktop pretty smoothly as I move the mouse around. Maybe try turning off full screen in Hex and run it in windowed mode instead? I haven't tried it with Hex fullscreen so maybe that's the difference.

Mr.Funsocks
08-07-2015, 09:44 PM
I always have it windowed, but panning around with a trackpad does not fluid gameplay make.

Zophie
08-07-2015, 09:50 PM
I always have it windowed, but panning around with a trackpad does not fluid gameplay make.

oh sorry you said you're on a chromebook, missed that, I'm using it on my tablet (Sony Xperia Z) so I just swipe around, it's a little more fluid

Osthall
08-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Do you have a source for this? My understanding is iOS games may make more money on a per-transactuon basis, but the sales volume on Android devices more than makes up for that discrepancy.

Xexist
08-08-2015, 11:46 PM
Do you have a source for this? My understanding is iOS games may make more money on a per-transactuon basis, but the sales volume on Android devices more than makes up for that discrepancy.

Android is far more pirated than IOS (which is already highly pirated). For a game that will presumably be free to download though, I dont necessarily think IOS or Android will necessarily make more than the other.

One concern I do have is that Apple take a pretty good % of all sales. So they are going to have to either charge more for plat from the app, (to end up with the same amount), sell for the same price and just take a hit on the bottom line (which would suck) or not allow plat sales in the app at all. Im not sure what they have in mind, Ive never seen it brought up.

Miwa
08-09-2015, 12:37 AM
Or just get top notch touch support working on windows, ala Civ5. And allow video options to make sure things run fine on intel's IGP gfx. Then there's all sorts of nice Windows options and it doesn't require dealing with apple or google, and isn't a huge change from what they already have.

israel.kendall
08-09-2015, 02:25 AM
They wouldn't have to deal with Google if they didn't want to. Android apps don't have to come from the official store. That being said, they probably want to be in Google play because of the exposure it can provide.

Xenavire
08-09-2015, 06:46 AM
Android is far more pirated than IOS (which is already highly pirated). For a game that will presumably be free to download though, I dont necessarily think IOS or Android will necessarily make more than the other.

One concern I do have is that Apple take a pretty good % of all sales. So they are going to have to either charge more for plat from the app, (to end up with the same amount), sell for the same price and just take a hit on the bottom line (which would suck) or not allow plat sales in the app at all. Im not sure what they have in mind, Ive never seen it brought up.

This may be why everything redirects to a browser.

Oli
08-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Apple does not allow for 3rd party IAP processing.
So they sell plat. and Apple takes the 30%, or they do not sell anything at all.

israel.kendall
08-09-2015, 01:52 PM
So they sell plat. and Apple takes the 30%, or they do not sell anything at all.

This is my understanding as well, even goes for subscriptions if someone subbed to VIP from within the app. There are some legislators starting to look into this "Apple tax" tho.

Miwa
08-09-2015, 04:17 PM

You'd just have to buy your plat from a web site outside of the app.

Xenavire
08-09-2015, 05:18 PM
You'd just have to buy your plat from a web site outside of the app.

Yeah, this is what I am thinking - can Apple enforce their 'tax' if the client already redirects to an outside source? Would they even allow the app on there if they thought they wouldn't see any profit? Etc.

It is a curious question, but I know very little about the App Store and their policies.

Miwa
08-09-2015, 05:23 PM
The client can't link directly to the buy plat page, but there's nothing that would stop Hex from putting something on the homepage that links to the plat buying page.

ipad lusers would have to dig to find the info, but it'd then be possible.

Jemy000
08-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Everything in the app store is vetted. Apple won't approve the program if it directs you to an outside website.

Miwa
08-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Which is why you don't put the link in the app, you put on your homepage, and users will eventually figure it out, if from chat if nothing else.

mujrim
08-10-2015, 06:44 AM
I'm more than a little disappointed that android based support is not in the plans at this point. I'm pretty sure the kickstarter said it'd be on both. It was one of the reasons I backed, I wanted a solid, high replay game I could play on a tablet. I guess that is out the window now. I know we are a long way out from the KS, but they have changed a lot. Each of these times they drop the ball add up.

Xenavire
08-10-2015, 06:59 AM
I'm more than a little disappointed that android based support is not in the plans at this point. I'm pretty sure the kickstarter said it'd be on both. It was one of the reasons I backed, I wanted a solid, high replay game I could play on a tablet. I guess that is out the window now. I know we are a long way out from the KS, but they have changed a lot. Each of these times they drop the ball add up.

I am pretty sure this discussion has been about which will be first, and which might run into legal issues or whatever - there is no indication that either version will not come eventually.

nickon
08-10-2015, 07:44 AM
I am pretty sure this discussion has been about which will be first, and which might run into legal issues or whatever - there is no indication that either version will not come eventually.

I think you're right Xena, as this (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/495539) was the picture from the kickstarter, they seem to be giving Android some love as well.

I have to give that Splashtop thingy a go in the meantime though... :)

regomar
08-10-2015, 08:41 AM
For unity it's not really easier to port, android porting is usually easier.

This. No idea why people keep saying that Android ports are somehow harder. I've programmed for both and Android is easier by a wide margin, especially when you're already using Unity.

mujrim
08-10-2015, 09:40 AM
I think you're right Xena, as this (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/495539) was the picture from the kickstarter, they seem to be giving Android some love as well.

Which I referred to the KS in my post. However in the link on the first page of this thread, they seemed to be moving away from providing a native android client, at least in the foreseeable future. Which is disappointing.