PDA

View Full Version : New PVE screens

ghulzen
08-07-2015, 12:33 PM
I thought I was on top of things, but I haven't seen a number of these screens before.

http://www.pcinvasion.com/2015/08/hex-shards-of-fate-frost-ring-video-screenshots

You can see screens showing 3 mercs and slots for consumables. I'm guessing that's for the upcoming crafting?

Zophie
08-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Holy **** those screenshots are great, thanks for the link!

I love the forest design gameboard, can't wait to see more!

Edit - Here are the PVE screenshots for those having trouble loading link:

http://i.imgur.com/p7Z5wQa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/G7dnywQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RCXRPPH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KmsuO0j.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/o0fvXep.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YFn02VM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QxppnBu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KrbnfIu.jpg

Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/UENt2

Svenn
08-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Holy **** those screenshots are great, thanks for the link!

I love the forest design gameboard, can't wait to see more!

No kidding! Those look awesome!

Kami
08-07-2015, 12:54 PM
That looks amazing. I'll be disappointed if that and more isn't in today's update.

IronPheasant
08-07-2015, 01:03 PM
I really hope that PvE has an isolated card collection at the start. The most fun part about card game campaigns is having poop cards and getting better ones. And working with what we find.

If we can use our existing collections right from the start, we'd just continue playing the same decks we're already using..

Kami
08-07-2015, 01:11 PM
I really hope that PvE has an isolated card collection at the start. The most fun part about card game campaigns is having poop cards and getting better ones. And working with what we find.

If we can use our existing collections right from the start, we'd just continue playing the same decks we're already using..

I disagree. There's nothing forcing you to use your collection. Taking away options is always worse than not.

At least, not without very good reason.

Ertzi
08-07-2015, 01:21 PM
So hyped for PvE! Awesome images. Lemme at 'em! *claws at thin air*

ryuukan
08-07-2015, 01:24 PM
can I play that game

RCDv57
08-07-2015, 01:32 PM
The Hero system looks like it will encourage players to construct new decks around those Heros.

Mokog
08-07-2015, 01:33 PM
These screens are from some of what we had our hands on at Gen Con. Yes it is beautiful. What it doesn't show you are the animated butterflies roaming around the forest play mat. I liked those as a snazzy detail. PvE is going to be sweet.

Aradon
08-07-2015, 01:35 PM
And forever away. If this is the detail they're putting into each dungeon, we won't see the first 'wave' til late next year. Calling it now, Set 4 before dungeons.

Vorsa
08-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Wow; the presentation is much more involved than I was expecting!

Ertzi
08-07-2015, 01:40 PM
And forever away. If this is the detail they're putting into each dungeon, we won't see the first 'wave' til late next year. Calling it now, Set 4 before dungeons.

Even I am not this pessimistic :D. Or maybe this was 100 % sarcastic. PvE is the next big patch, so there has got to be some dungeons in it, right? I would happily even take like three at first.

Aradon
08-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Even I am not this pessimistic :D. Or maybe this was 100 % sarcastic. PvE is the next big patch, so there has got to be some dungeons in it, right? I would happily even take like three at first.

Sorry, no sarcasm here. PvE is supposed to be the next big patch, but we're still getting unpolished versions of the first dungeon. Cory's said he wants to have at the very least a large section of the dungeons done before releasing them in a batch. Furthermore, he wants to have all PvE fleshed out as a whole, which means complete talent trees for every class, mercenaries, loot tables, world exploration (is this included?), all of that balanced together. Having one dungeon still in progress is not a good indicator. If we were further along, I would have expected players to be able to play around with various class trees somewhere. These screenshots look awesome, but they don't encourage me that we're nearing completion of this content.

Saeijou
08-07-2015, 01:46 PM
that looks nice and promising... I want this... NOW! :D

Mokog
08-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Our impression from Gen Con is that the Team is full pivoting their attention onto PvE before Set 4 is released and their goal is to have the first wave of dungeons and character creation to us before the end of the year. So I am rooting for them! I want to play in the talent trees!

the_artic_one
08-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Did anyone notice this at the bottom of the article:

Hex: Shards of Fate is still scheduled for release later this year.

ryuukan
08-07-2015, 01:50 PM

I think dungeons in 2015 is a long shot but I dont think they would do Set 4 first

Ertzi
08-07-2015, 01:57 PM
@the people who got to fool around with PvE at GenCon.

How complete the PvE stuff looked? Was there fully-fledged animations already? Was there seamless transitions from screen to screen? Was the story side already fleshed out? Etc. Or was everything buggy and you were only shown screenshots or something? What was your general feeling? Are we even close? Your best guess.

IronPheasant
08-07-2015, 01:59 PM
And forever away. If this is the detail they're putting into each dungeon, we won't see the first 'wave' til late next year.

They've been in development for years.

I disagree. There's nothing forcing you to use your collection. Taking away options is always worse than not.

At least, not without very good reason.

Max level day one.

Hooray, sounds like a lot of fun.

hammer
08-07-2015, 02:02 PM
These screenshots are so beautiful - HexEnt knocking it out of the park yet again :D - Love this team

Yoss
08-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Shots 7 to 16 in that are such a tease. I want that game so badly!

Zophie
08-07-2015, 02:04 PM
Max level day one.

Hooray, sounds like a lot of fun.

I get your concerns, but I doubt this will be the case at all. Sure you'll have a good start at the beginning, but the dungeons are being designed with Champion levels/talents in mind, as well as progression of more powerful PVE cards that you will still need to collect in order to face them. You won't be max level day one.

regomar
08-07-2015, 02:04 PM
Are the images on that site working for everyone? I click on them and just get an eternal rotating ring and it never loads...

Yoss
08-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Are the images on that site working for everyone? I click on them and just get an eternal rotating ring and it never loads...

Mine took several seconds per picture, but did eventually load.

Saeijou

the work for me though

Vorpal
Dang, the pve is gorgeous looking! Looks like you get 3 merc buddies and 3 consumables as well. Maybe we can melt down all our extraneous equipment to craft consumables!

ksetrat
08-07-2015, 02:10 PM
those pictures look amazing. Can't wait to see them come up in game. bravo to hex.... now all we need is some release window goals and i can find out when i get to lock myself in a room for a while.

Zophie
08-07-2015, 02:11 PM

I went ahead and added the screenshots to post #2 up above (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=45317&p=516261&viewfull=1#post516261). :)

Also here is link to Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/UENt2

regomar
08-07-2015, 02:13 PM
I went ahead and added the screenshots to post #2 up above (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=45317&p=516261&viewfull=1#post516261). :)

Thank you! Much appreciated!

N3rd4Christ
08-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Hype!

Mokog
08-07-2015, 02:15 PM

How complete the PvE stuff looked? Was there fully-fledged animations already? Was there seamless transitions from screen to screen? Was the story side already fleshed out? Etc. Or was everything buggy and you were only shown screenshots or something? What was your general feeling? Are we even close? Your best guess.

They provided a taste of the PvE with a cross section. It felt like an old school demo where you saw the proof of concepts being built upon into the final product. The Hex guys did have to kick it off and the endings are abrupt but inside the PvE it was fluid.

My general feeling is that they brought to show the basic concepts with a little bit of polish and treated it as an unofficial demo. It needs development to make the experience seamless but you can tell significant progress has been made and continues to be made. My guess is that they can bring out the character creation system and dungeons before the end of the year and maybe even surprise us with a little extra. I came away excited and optimistic each time I played through the experience.

(I had to take both paths and try out the dialogue trees. Also the decks you face can be unexpectedly punishing)

ryuukan
08-07-2015, 02:20 PM
They provided a taste of the PvE with a cross section. It felt like an old school demo where you saw the proof of concepts being built upon into the final product. The Hex guys did have to kick it off and the endings are abrupt but inside the PvE it was fluid.

My general feeling is that they brought to show the basic concepts with a little bit of polish and treated it as an unofficial demo. It needs development to make the experience seamless but you can tell significant progress has been made and continues to be made. My guess is that they can bring out the character creation system and dungeons before the end of the year and maybe even surprise us with a little extra. I came away excited and optimistic each time I played through the experience.

(I had to take both paths and try out the dialogue trees. Also the decks you face can be unexpectedly punishing)

is there romance

do I get to date anyone

Zophie
08-07-2015, 02:24 PM
is there romance

do I get to date anyone

Still waiting for HuniePop: Hex Edition

Prominis
08-07-2015, 02:26 PM
I see some of Alexandra Douglas's art, nice.

Also, how punishing is punishing? Because I see a Wrathwood Master Moss, and I'm just going to say here that if the rest of the deck is strong enough to back that up starter decks (for new/f2p players) will struggle. A lot.

Zophie
08-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Also, how punishing is punishing? Because I see a Wrathwood Master Moss, and I'm just going to say here that if the rest of the deck is strong enough to back that up starter decks (for new/f2p players) will struggle. A lot.

That's what Champion leveling and talents are for, also the PVE cards you'll acquire as you progress have the potential to be much more powerful than the PVP cards.

Svenn
08-07-2015, 02:30 PM

Starter decks will likely not be able to make it (or have a very tough time) through a large portion of the content. They should be able to make it through the beginning content before they have to start modifying (from loot) their deck to be able to beat the harder dungeons. No one is expected to take a starter deck and run the campaign from start to finish without modifying it, that would be silly.

Yoss
08-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Starter decks will likely not be able to make it (or have a very tough time) through a large portion of the content. They should be able to make it through the beginning content before they have to start modifying (from loot) their deck to be able to beat the harder dungeons. No one is expected to take a starter deck and run the campaign from start to finish without modifying it, that would be silly.

Yes, the starter decks will be a viable entry to the game and it will be possible to build it up using nothing but campaign earnings. That will be true for the entire main line story. What might not be possible is beating end game (side story) content without spending money. At least, that's what the plan seemed to be last time I heard from an Orange about it.

Vorsa
08-07-2015, 02:58 PM
A few nerdy observation on the screenshots, that Zophie's handily pasted in on page 1.

1. The female elf ranger player character is using what was - once upon a time - going to be the stage 3 'evolution' of the female elf ranger character portrait.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/446/264/8d46b7229212a6a24c4fa01689419b37_large.jpg

As the character is only level 3 (which we know from the talent tree is very low level), this might indicate that evolving portraits have been dropped and/or players can select their portrait instead.

2. There is a new 1/1 token creature in the player's graveyard - Incindium reported that one of the ranger charge powers summons buzzy bees, so that could be it (in which case the title is Buzzy and the keyword is surely "Flight").
It seemingly cost 3 charges to use, unless further charges were generated outside of resources - 3 would be fair though, as the mercenary Ashahsa creates a 1/1 Flight troop for 3 charges (Windbourne Acolyte).

3. If 3,300 total XP is somewhere within level 3 and 6,000 total XP = level 4, then the likelihood is progression is as follows:
* Gain 1,000 XP to level from 1 to 2.
* Gain 2,000 XP to level from 2 to 3.
* Gain 3,000 XP to level from 3 to 4.
This is a completely useless observation, but thought I'd share it anyway. :p

thegreybetween
08-07-2015, 03:22 PM
I know we've been beating the whole non-vanity event content thing to death lately, but a pretty cool idea was just mentioned within my guild and I thought I'd bring it up as food for thought:

How about adding play mats (like this lovely new forest mat) to the list of possible PvP vanity items?

It might make a sweet Convocation or other event prize, and is just as vanity-based as an AA card or sleeve. That gives us even more options to personalize our experience, and more possible prizes before we again feel the need to lock functional content behind event exclusivity. Plus, you could add matscapes to chests, WoF, etc as another PvP-based prize for these outlets.

The challenge, of course, is making it work for PvP. If two players enter and both have a vanity mat, who gets to choose it? Maybe allow the winner of the coin toss to choose between "Play First" and "Draw First/Choose Playmat"? Or maybe just default the playmat choice to the loser of the coin toss? Some other method? Maybe when we have rank/ladder play, the higher-ranked player gets to choose the mat as a perk for their status?

Anyway, just seemed like a cool idea. Feel free to discuss.

Zophie
08-07-2015, 03:29 PM
I know we've been beating the whole non-vanity event content thing to death lately, but a pretty cool idea was just mentioned within my guild and I thought I'd bring it up as food for thought:

How about adding play mats (like this lovely new forest mat) to the list of possible PvP vanity items?

It might make a sweet Convocation or other event prize, and is just as vanity-based as an AA card or sleeve. That gives us even more options to personalize our experience, and more possible prizes before we again feel the need to lock functional content behind event exclusivity. Plus, you could add matscapes to chests, WoF, etc as another PvP-based prize for these outlets.

The challenge, of course, is making it work for PvP. If two players enter and both have a vanity mat, who gets to choose it? Maybe allow the winner of the coin toss to choose between "Play First" and "Draw First/Choose Playmat"? Or maybe just default the playmat choice to the loser of the coin toss? Some other method? Maybe when we have rank/ladder play, the higher-ranked player gets to choose the mat as a perk for their status?

I think Collectible Playmats (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=37959) are a great idea ;)

Cory did mention in an interview in the past though that instead of collectible playmats they may go another route and just make the plinths that your deck/discard sit on be customizable instead. I think they should do both :D

Ertzi
08-07-2015, 03:29 PM

Cool idea to win playmats, but I would never want to be forced to play in a certain setting. Too distracting in PvP, especially if there are animations. If you can opt out on your screen, I would have no problem with this.

thegreybetween
08-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Cool idea to win playmats, but I would never want to be forced to play in a certain setting. Too distracting in PvP, especially if there are animations. If you can opt out on your screen, I would have no problem with this.

That's actually an even more interesting idea - In a digital TCG, there is nothing which requires that both players see the same background. If the processing load wasn't too much, each player could totally have their own play mat active and they'd be the only one who sees it. That makes fancy mats less of a show-off/status item like a sleeve, but still enhances the customizability in a vanity scheme. Yeah, I like it.

But as Zophie said above, having vanity portions of the screen like the deck/grave pedestal would be pretty novel, too.

Xenavire
08-07-2015, 07:29 PM

That mossling came from the seed pod, which looks like a challenge (similar to arena.) The player also got something (Wrathwood Larch) so I imagine that the deck itself had a different theme (and is potentially weaker than the screenshot implies) and just got a lucky pull from the seed pod.

Loving all the screens, can't wait to see more and get my hands on all the different game boards (even if I can't collect them, I want to 'collect' the areas that have them so I can go play on them at any time! :p)

Falaris
08-07-2015, 08:14 PM
I'm going to be disappointed if a starter deck can clear anything besides MAYBE the first dungeon. I'd like a challenge with my PvE, and having basic decks be able to full clear pve is not a very appealing thought to me.

ossuary
08-07-2015, 08:16 PM
When I was at the CZE offices, we actually saw Ty working on that forest-themed playmat. I'm so stoked to see it in the wild (as it were) in those screenshots... and honestly they don't even do it justice, it looked even more amazing in person. :)

Can't wait to see more of this stuff. And, of course, to get my hands on it! ;)

Axle
08-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Article is gone now lol.

Gwaer
08-07-2015, 08:45 PM
I hope we see playmats meeting in the middle. If I'm running a fire theme and you're running a water theme they should meet in the middle and we're playing on a very interesting board. Even if they don't have special things happening at the interface I'm fine with things just changing abruptly from one to the other.

Phenteo
08-07-2015, 09:15 PM
is there romance

do I get to date anyone

You have a really annoying S.O. that calls you every hour asking to bowl or go for drinks. If you don't comply you lose favoritism points and your buffs go down.

Zophie
08-07-2015, 09:17 PM
I hope we see playmats meeting in the middle. If I'm running a fire theme and you're running a water theme they should meet in the middle and we're playing on a very interesting board. Even if they don't have special things happening at the interface I'm fine with things just changing abruptly from one to the other.

Yeah on the standard board there's a line running horizontally along the middle, I imagine it'd be easy to just design the look of the board filling the space up to that line, and whatever the opponent is using fills the top half with whatever theme and doodads and effects.

Kilo24
08-07-2015, 09:18 PM
You have a really annoying S.O. that calls you every hour asking to bowl or go for drinks. If you don't comply you lose favoritism points and your buffs go down.

Ah! True love has finally been captured in a game!

Zophie
08-07-2015, 09:19 PM

Will the S.O. be bind on equip or can we still trade them on AH after using them? :cool:

Mr.Funsocks
08-07-2015, 09:31 PM
wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwa ntwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwa ntwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwa ntwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwa ntwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwa ntwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwa ntwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwa ntwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwa ntwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwa ntwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwa ntwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwa ntwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwa ntwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant wantwantwantwantwantwant

Parzival
08-07-2015, 10:04 PM
Ah! True love has finally been captured in a game!

Slinks NOOOOOO!

So how many S.O's can I have? Are you LGBT friendly? I want my decisions to have real consequences!

I would add to the wall of want but I'm still recovering from my nerdgasm :cool:

Spiredore
08-07-2015, 10:23 PM
So how many S.O's can I have? Are you LGBT friendly?

Does this mean that Hex has become a harem game, for those of us that are focused on collecting?

And it's good to see that the PVE component of the game is aware of the danger of forest fires. I look forward to seeing characters like Phenteo, Monsuun and King Gabriel hosting an 80's-cartoon-style PSA at the end of each chapter.

'Because now you're tunneled. And tunneling is half the battle.'

Zophie
08-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Does this mean that Hex has become a harem game, for those of us that are focused on collecting?

Not gonna lie, I'm completely okay with that.

Parzival
08-07-2015, 10:33 PM

And it's good to see that the PVE component of the game is aware of the danger of forest fires. I look forward to seeing characters like Phenteo, Monsuun and King Gabriel hosting an 80's-cartoon-style PSA at the end of each chapter.

'Because now you're tunneled. And tunneling is half the battle.'

Remember kids, King Gabriel says don't do drugs or Monsuun will tunnel into your bed at night!

velk
08-07-2015, 11:26 PM

The site in the OP has some images that appear to be of mats.

AstaSyneri
08-08-2015, 03:20 AM

No, late this year. Art is still there, but all the campaign stuff, story etc. needs some more time - straight from the horse's mouth (aka Cory) at gamescom. He seemed very focused on this. 100K tournament next, then dungeons (about a dozen plus the whole infrastructure around it), then Set 4. That's the plan.

Great idea - even though making these probably ties up a whole lot of resources (much more than doing sleeves), but it would be an amazing add-on to play these in friendly challenges. It's unlikely though - as most of these are themed for the contect they are in (like the forest dungeon or the frost arena).

I am very much looking forward to them. I don't mind if it is late December - I'll have XCOM 2 to keep my busy in November :D (hype! - couldn't resist after seeing the strategy layer preview at gamescom).

ryuukan
08-08-2015, 04:16 AM

If I do that long enough will Queen Grace hold my hand

Xenavire
08-08-2015, 04:19 AM

I don't negotiate with terrorists.

ossuary
08-08-2015, 05:05 AM

10,000kb http://doom49.com/forum/images/smilies/kreygasm.png

If we get tired of listening to their whining, can we intentionally smash into a telephone poll so our avatar flies through the front windshield and escapes the conversation? Also, does the S.O. get killed if we do the deal with Rascalov?

MuffLord4
08-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Why can't us alphatesters play it? :(

bootlace
08-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Looks really good! I have no worries about the balance given Bens track record, or the storytelling and fun aspects given CZEs pedigree but if the digital polish is there, this games really gonna take off.

Baigan
08-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Sorry, no sarcasm here. PvE is supposed to be the next big patch, but we're still getting unpolished versions of the first dungeon. Cory's said he wants to have at the very least a large section of the dungeons done before releasing them in a batch. Furthermore, he wants to have all PvE fleshed out as a whole, which means complete talent trees for every class, mercenaries, loot tables, world exploration (is this included?), all of that balanced together. Having one dungeon still in progress is not a good indicator. If we were further along, I would have expected players to be able to play around with various class trees somewhere. These screenshots look awesome, but they don't encourage me that we're nearing completion of this content.

I had the chance to talk with Ben at GenCon several times about PvE.

Talent trees currently exist, in some degree, for other classes. I don't think I can speak to what I was told in detail since HXE hasn't made any official announcements; however, what I was told did not suggest that the Warrior tree was the only class that was fully developed.

Further, I was under the impression that there were other dungeons in parallel development, it's just that this was the easiest to polish for a limited public demo. I didn't specifically ask that, though, so I may not be correct.

The fact that they only showed off one talent tree and one dungeon experience does not imply that other talent trees / dungeons aren't in development. Resources are limited, and it costs resources to convert what you currently have in development into something that can be reliably demo'd. I wouldn't want them to sacrifice forward progress just to demonstrate more stuff that we won't be able to interact with for months anyway.

MuffLord4
08-08-2015, 04:24 PM
I still don't get why us alphatesters cannot test it...seems lame that ppl at GC can.

Xenavire
08-08-2015, 04:28 PM
I still don't get why us alphatesters cannot test it...seems lame that ppl at GC can.

Probably because it would be putting them in a very awkward position to try to give a select portion of people a chance to play it and not others. Gencon was a special exception.

Based on the last few patches, I would say that the minute it is ready for public consumption, we will get a test server version, although for the sake of keeping a few surprises around I do hope they wait until the last minute to let people play it. :p

Zophie
08-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Based on the last few patches, I would say that the minute it is ready for public consumption, we will get a test server version, although for the sake of keeping a few surprises around I do hope they wait until the last minute to let people play it. :p

I think it'd definitely be in there best interest to open it up on the test server before launching for real, at least in some limited form, like just one dungeon or something or whatever they feel is sufficient - It's going to be incredibly important to make sure all the new systems don't implode when being stress tested by a mass of people, and would be better to find out any big issues in a test environment before going live with the whole thing. We'll see what happens though, they probably won't decide on that until much closer to release.

Xenavire
08-08-2015, 05:30 PM
I think it'd definitely be in there best interest to open it up on the test server before launching for real, at least in some limited form, like just one dungeon or something or whatever they feel is sufficient - It's going to be incredibly important to make sure all the new systems don't implode when being stress tested by a mass of people, and would be better to find out any big issues in a test environment before going live with the whole thing. We'll see what happens though, they probably won't decide on that until much closer to release.

Yeah, I just mean they should hold off the test server as long as possible - although your idea of limiting the available content is pretty elegant too. :p

wolzarg
08-09-2015, 03:51 AM
Have you completely missed the mercs? "Notice me dingler king Sempai!!" "Portencio kakoi desu desu!"

Spiredore
08-09-2015, 04:12 AM
"Notice me dingler king Sempai!!"

If the Dingler King is anyone's idea of a love interest then I am deeply and profoundly concerned.

wolzarg
08-09-2015, 05:06 AM
I don't judge people can like what or who they want. Personally i dig AA sylvan performer. :rolleyes:

Aradon
08-09-2015, 07:52 AM
I had the chance to talk with Ben at GenCon several times about PvE.

Talent trees currently exist, in some degree, for other classes. I don't think I can speak to what I was told in detail since HXE hasn't made any official announcements; however, what I was told did not suggest that the Warrior tree was the only class that was fully developed.

Further, I was under the impression that there were other dungeons in parallel development, it's just that this was the easiest to polish for a limited public demo. I didn't specifically ask that, though, so I may not be correct.

The fact that they only showed off one talent tree and one dungeon experience does not imply that other talent trees / dungeons aren't in development. Resources are limited, and it costs resources to convert what you currently have in development into something that can be reliably demo'd. I wouldn't want them to sacrifice forward progress just to demonstrate more stuff that we won't be able to interact with for months anyway.

Well, this is another case where I'd love to be dead wrong, so I hope so.

Fyren
08-09-2015, 09:07 AM
...Okay. Extended art did not even come close to producing the promised 10KB. Chest opening didn't quite make it there for me either, but I wasn't exactly swimming in Primals or gold.

THIS. THIS does.

Incindium
08-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Yeah I asked about the Ranger class and was told that it existed in Ben's head as well as officially back on the office. I got the impression that the Warrior tree was selected to be shown because of its relative completeness as well as it didn't spoil aspects of PVE that were perhaps still in flux or just too early to show.

Stok3d
08-09-2015, 01:13 PM

No bugs when I played... and the pics don't do it justice. The board is animated and on par with the graphic Polish of HS. Yeah... it's amazing. I hope they are prepping the servers to handle the influx of ppl.

Fyren
08-09-2015, 02:19 PM
No bugs when I played... and the pics don't do it justice. The board is animated and on par with the graphic Polish of HS. Yeah... it's amazing. I hope they are prepping the servers to handle the influx of ppl.

And actually, does every race have a starting zone or just every faction? Those shots look highly Elfy.

Xenavire
08-09-2015, 03:12 PM
And actually, does every race have a starting zone or just every faction? Those shots look highly Elfy.

I am not sure we need separate starting zones at all - one or two intro dungeons, then you set out on an epic adventure! I mean, all the starting quests could take you back through those starting dungeons to introduce you to new things anyway, so it would be easy to tune it for different levels of skill. :p

Fyren
08-09-2015, 03:21 PM
I am not sure we need separate starting zones at all - one or two intro dungeons, then you set out on an epic adventure! I mean, all the starting quests could take you back through those starting dungeons to introduce you to new things anyway, so it would be easy to tune it for different levels of skill. :p

The presentation of the lore would have to differ vastly for a new Necrotic hero versus a Coyotle hero, wouldn't it? At the very least I think an Underworld/Ardent divide is warranted for a first zone, to teach you about the races and beliefs of your faction - and perhaps precisely what they think of their enemies.

Xenavire
08-09-2015, 03:32 PM
The presentation of the lore would have to differ vastly for a new Necrotic hero versus a Coyotle hero, wouldn't it? At the very least I think an Underworld/Ardent divide is warranted for a first zone, to teach you about the races and beliefs of your faction - and perhaps precisely what they think of their enemies.

I am not sure that would be required exactly, if each dungeon has different choices per faction (which has been confirmed once or twice.) So if the starting dungeon is set up right, it could tell the story that you would get in a given starting zone.

I mean, as much as I love the Hex lore, it wouldn't be the most amazing new player experience to spend half an hour reading for every 10 minutes of gameplay. :p

hex_colin
08-09-2015, 03:59 PM
We got the chance to see another dungeon that they're working on when we were at HEX HQ this week. It's available to both factions, but the story and encounters are different depending on your faction. :) But not all of them will be like that. Many will be "neutral" and be almost exactly the same play experience for both factions.

It's all really starting to come together. Exciting times! :)

Fyren
08-09-2015, 04:01 PM
I am not sure that would be required exactly, if each dungeon has different choices per faction (which has been confirmed once or twice.) So if the starting dungeon is set up right, it could tell the story that you would get in a given starting zone.

I mean, as much as I love the Hex lore, it wouldn't be the most amazing new player experience to spend half an hour reading for every 10 minutes of gameplay. :p

Well, presumably there'd be either a more seamlessly integrated form of storytelling, or at the minimum a "Get on with it" button on the dialogues.

Arright, actually, let me posit the question: How would you configure a universal starting zone?

Xenavire
08-09-2015, 04:09 PM
Well, presumably there'd be either a more seamlessly integrated form of storytelling, or at the minimum a "Get on with it" button on the dialogues.

Arright, actually, let me posit the question: How would you configure a universal starting zone?

Me personally? I would do the first, most basic dungeon with alternate encounters based on faction, and let it explain mechanics and basic gameplay. Then at the end I would have a short amount of storytelling as a 'reward' (this could be faction and/or race specific.) After that I would have quests in the area lead to one or two basic dungeons and have a lot of storytelling attached to the quests (and simply have the quests differ depending on faction.)

After the starting area I would just have a lot of basic/neutral dungeons mixed with faction difference dungeons like what Colin described. :p

Prominis
08-09-2015, 05:56 PM

Personally I'd rather enjoy having some form of lore differentiation for each race, possibly alongside the class as well. I would hardly expect a blood n' guts cutting warrior to be teaching a mage how to properly do the do.

It's also using quite a bit of hyperbole to say that you would have three times the time going through the text, but I believe it would add to the immersion (at a respectable ratio, not that exaggerated), seeing as this is intended to be a MMORPG.

Cainhu
08-10-2015, 12:57 AM
This looks very promising !

It's beautiful, thematic, and seems to be fun to play. I really-really hope they'll do it right.

On the other hand... I'm the only one who think it's bad that we get an important preview like this only from a 3rd party site ? Shouldn't it on the HEX frontpage, or something ?

Edswor
08-10-2015, 01:47 AM
The screens looks amazing. I can't wait to get our hands into the PvE.

Mejis
08-10-2015, 01:57 AM
This looks very promising !

It's beautiful, thematic, and seems to be fun to play. I really-really hope they'll do it right.

On the other hand... I'm the only one who think it's bad that we get an important preview like this only from a 3rd party site ? Shouldn't it on the HEX frontpage, or something ?

Was half expecting something of it in the Friday update. But given gen con + games con got in the way, I wasn't surprised to not see anything. Hopefully we'll get some official words and info this week.

Ertzi
08-10-2015, 03:32 AM
Can you play both factions on the same account? Meaning can I experience all PvE content from every side with one account? Will there be any permanent decisions like this? Is this known yet? I want to be able to see every single storyline, quest, character etc.

Spiredore
08-10-2015, 03:52 AM
Once upon a time you were going to have to dedicate your keep to either Ardent or Underworld, but this was long enough ago (back when mercenaries were going to be untradable ... I think before we got our hands on actual software) that I wouldn't give it much weight.

As far as I'm aware we haven't had any comment on these sorts of issues recently enough to think they represent current thinking.

WWKnight
08-10-2015, 04:02 AM
Back when it was one side only, we were allowed to have multiple accounts. Now that it's frowned upon, I expect they wouldnt create content that will go 50% unplayed.

israel.kendall
08-10-2015, 05:13 AM
[COLOR="#000000"]

Personally I'd rather enjoy having some form of lore differentiation for each race, possibly alongside the class as well. I would hardly expect a blood n' guts cutting warrior to be teaching a mage how to properly do the do.

It's also using quite a bit of hyperbole to say that you would have three times the time going through the text, but I believe it would add to the immersion (at a respectable ratio, not that exaggerated), seeing as this is intended to be a MMORPG.

Story telling would be cool graphic novel style. Other than that I'd probably skip through it. I've never read lore in mmo's though I know many do.

Cainhu
08-10-2015, 05:28 AM
Back when it was one side only, we were allowed to have multiple accounts. Now that it's frowned upon, I expect they wouldnt create content that will go 50% unplayed.

They already created content that will go 95% unplayed, but admittebly nothing as big as dungeons. I really hope we can experience all dungeon, classes, and races etc with a single account.

Prominis
08-10-2015, 06:09 AM
They did say once upon a time that upon reaching X point (whether it was level or what, I don't remember), but they did say that you would be able to make another character.

I don't know if the system they said has been changed or if they would allow for a character of the opposite alliance, but I assume Cryptozoic will figure something out.

Vorpal
08-10-2015, 08:53 AM

Urunaaz design shows they are quite comfortable creating content that people may literally never see.

Kilo24
08-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Urunaaz design shows they are quite comfortable creating content that people may literally never see.

That may be because they were expecting Arena to have to hold us over a long time - content like that does wonders for keeping players playing - but once the PVE experience is more developed, they'll aim for a steady stream of content that doesn't require ludicrous amounts of grinding to reliably experience.

But... since the primary reason that almost every valuable directly usable item in the economy keeps its value is because of low drop rates from a large general pool, I'm not holding my breath. The only things that break that mold are limited-edition things the Kickstarter and holiday events; everything else valuable relies on low drop chances from booster packs, the wheels of fate, chests, or arena. Urunaaz's design is an easy extension of that from valuable items to valuable content, and I haven't seen any attempt to deviate from that design philosophy thus far.

Yoss
08-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Speak for yourself! I'd love to read short stories. Even better if we have Ben voice acting them for us. :D

hex_colin
08-10-2015, 10:54 AM

As I've pointed out in the past, Urunaaz's spawn rate it currently set where it is because of the relative ease of defeating him when you do come across him. Future changes to the AI will likely result in a change in his spawn rate.

malloc31
08-10-2015, 10:56 AM
As I've pointed out in the past, Urunaaz's spawn rate it currently set where it is because of the relative ease of defeating him when you do come across him. Future changes to the AI will likely result in a change in his spawn rate.

or they could have lowered the amount of gold he dropped and let people actually get to see the content.

Yoss
08-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Can you play both factions on the same account? Meaning can I experience all PvE content from every side with one account? Will there be any permanent decisions like this? Is this known yet? I want to be able to see every single storyline, quest, character etc.

We received official word that they're going to avoid systems that would pressure a player towards extra accounts. Locking your one and only account out of big chunks of content would clearly violate that goal.

(I searched the Orange Tracker briefly but couldn't find the exact post.)

Xenavire
08-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Speak for yourself! I'd love to read short stories. Even better if we have Ben voice acting them for us. :D

Hey, I wouldn't mind it in the least either, but new players tend to just click through everything to get to the gameplay. :p

Zophie
08-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Urunaaz's spawn rate it currently set where it is because of the relative ease of defeating him when you do come across him.

I was definitely not prepared the one time I came across him, still waiting for my chance at a rematch!

Aradon
08-10-2015, 11:04 AM
I don't know what the relative ease people keep referring to is. He had quite good cards last time I came across him, and a sweet charge power. He definitely stomped me. Those 1/1s that are unblockable and give a charge whenever they attack are pretty hard to deal with.

Fyren
08-10-2015, 11:43 AM
I don't know what the relative ease people keep referring to is. He had quite good cards last time I came across him, and a sweet charge power. He definitely stomped me. Those 1/1s that are unblockable and give a charge whenever they attack are pretty hard to deal with.

I think he's referring to the fact that the AI appears to have suffered some kind of stroke and responds to your turn 4 play by offering toast to a llama.

Aradon
08-10-2015, 11:54 AM
I think he's referring to the fact that the AI appears to have suffered some kind of stroke and responds to your turn 4 play by offering toast to a llama.

That's funny, because when I played him, he responded to my turn four by reanimating two of my milled four-drops for free, then playing a 2/2 deathtouch and another 1/1 unblockable. I don't think it's nearly as trivial as some people are making it out to be.

WWKnight
08-10-2015, 12:00 PM
I was definitely not prepared the one time I came across him, still waiting for my chance at a rematch!

Illidaz?

WWKnight
08-10-2015, 12:01 PM
That's funny, because when I played him, he responded to my turn four by reanimating two of my milled four-drops for free, then playing a 2/2 deathtouch and another 1/1 unblockable. I don't think it's nearly as trivial as some people are making it out to be.

Did the llama already have some toast? Have you tried encountering him after official llama feeding times?

Aradon
08-10-2015, 12:14 PM
'Tried' is a good word.

Kilo24
08-10-2015, 12:32 PM
I've encountered Uruunaz twice, after his encounter rate was dramatically reduced but before the Armies of Myth patch. I lost the first time and beat him the second time. I think he's the hardest encounter in the game in general; although Xarlox can get lucky (and so can many others to a lesser degree) and War Bot's powers are both ludicrous, Uruunaz has a mess of very good cards and a reanimation power combined with auto-milling. And he does have 30 health which I can see being an issue sometimes, especially since aggro decks are most likely to find him (being the quickest to play and most suitable for farming).

Like every AI, he's still vulnerable to exploits and plays stupidly at times. And you or he can always get resource screwed/flooded.

Sixlooter
09-11-2015, 04:02 AM
Oh man I want the PVE soooo much... When I see those pics it almost physically hurts that I can't play it. :eek:

iSimeon
09-11-2015, 04:38 AM
Met Urunaaz two times and both of them I lost. He is not easy as people think.

malloc31
09-11-2015, 05:38 AM
All I want for Christmas is PVE ...

WolfCrypt
09-11-2015, 07:58 AM
These screens are from some of what we had our hands on at Gen Con. Yes it is beautiful. What it doesn't show you are the animated butterflies roaming around the forest play mat. I liked those as a snazzy detail. PvE is going to be sweet.

Butterflies?! That's awesome. I can't wait for today's update I hope it's really big and pve related.

Quantius
09-11-2015, 08:32 AM
Give.

ryuukan
09-11-2015, 08:34 AM
capital punishment for bumping this thread

Zophie
09-11-2015, 09:34 AM
capital punishment for bumping this thread

It was right at 31 days, I think we can call that within a month which is fair game.

WolfCrypt
09-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Sorry didn't look at date I saw it up on first page so assumed it was today also I thought it was only on page 2 lol.

CoS
09-11-2015, 10:20 AM
This thread (screenshots specifically) makes me cry inside ... PvE was promised as being so close (yet remains so far away). If we have the first dungeon by the end of the year I'll be shocked.

hex_colin
09-11-2015, 12:53 PM
This thread (screenshots specifically) makes me cry inside ... PvE was promised as being so close (yet remains so far away). If we have the first dungeon by the end of the year I'll be shocked.

I won't. I'm played all of the encounters in the first dungeon. On a computer... ;)

Zophie
09-11-2015, 01:04 PM
I won't. I'm played all of the encounters in the first dungeon. On a computer... ;)

Confirmed, Colin has a time machine. This explains so much actually.

Try not to step on any butterflies on your travels Colin. ;)

Gwaer
09-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Also, bring me lottery numbers. Thanks.

Svenn
09-11-2015, 02:15 PM

PvE in the next two weeks confirmed! ;)

Roy_G
09-11-2015, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't expect PVE this year,CZE has a habit of missing all estimated release times.

BigDog
09-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Confirmed, Colin has a time machine. This explains so much actually.

Try not to step on any butterflies on your travels Colin. ;)

Hey all, I've come from the future to tell you all to relax and not to worry... In the future, titanias majesty gets ba.... Oh darn, i didn't go back far enough...

elfstone
09-11-2015, 05:27 PM
We all love you Colin, but saying that may have made us love you just a LITTLE bit less :P

Khazrakh
09-12-2015, 06:07 AM
We all love you Colin, but saying that may have made us love you just a LITTLE bit less :P

I might consider loving him a little more if that means we'll actually see the campaign this year though ;)

hammer
09-12-2015, 09:22 AM

... Generated cardboard cut out ?

Aradon
09-12-2015, 09:37 AM
I'd be a little bit happier with Colin's remark if Cory hadn't said the same thing back in December 2014 when they were pushing out Arena. Playing through a dungeon is hardly the same thing as getting all the PvE content out that they want in the first batch

elfstone
09-12-2015, 05:26 PM
Well Cory did say in a recent interview that they want to have the core of PVE out this year. and I wouldnt be surprised that if something like crafting would delay it getting out, they would just release it without crafting, just to get the core experience out. Or replace crafting with whatever other minor feature that can be delayed

Sixlooter
09-14-2015, 07:59 AM
Well Cory did say in a recent interview that they want to have the core of PVE out this year. and I wouldnt be surprised that if something like crafting would delay it getting out, they would just release it without crafting, just to get the core experience out. Or replace crafting with whatever other minor feature that can be delayed

The thing is you don't neet to have everything perfect from the beginning. I (and I assume most here) would prefer an earlier release above a completely polished experience. Hell, we wouldn't be backers if we just wanted this industrial polished but boring Blizzard stuff.

ziggarius
09-14-2015, 08:08 AM
The thing is you don't neet to have everything perfect from the beginning. I (and I assume most here) would prefer an earlier release above a completely polished experience. Hell, we wouldn't be backers if we just wanted this industrial polished but boring Blizzard stuff.

At this point in hex's life, it's going to need a large content push that's polished enough. It isn't for us backers sake and it's certainly not for those currently enjoying.

It's for everyone that hasn't converted to hex. If the first pve push is too small, too bug ridden or lacks oomph to hook the nonconverted hex won't get a second chance at those.

So as a backer and someone who only backed for pve. I will wait until they say the pie is done and i won't open the oven before then. The cake is a lie, but this pie will be good. :)

plaguedealer
09-14-2015, 08:11 AM

A unfun campaign experience at the outset will be horrible for the game. Imo it is much better to put out something polished then a half attempt and hope people come back.

BigDog
09-14-2015, 08:47 AM
At this point in hex's life, it's going to need a large content push that's polished enough. It isn't for us backers sake and it's certainly not for those currently enjoying.

It's for everyone that hasn't converted to hex. If the first pve push is too small, too bug ridden or lacks oomph to hook the nonconverted hex won't get a second chance at those.

So as a backer and someone who only backed for pve. I will wait until they say the pie is done and i won't open the oven before then. The cake is a lie, but this pie will be good. :)

+1. Despite all my insistence that alpha was alpha, it was still a bad enough experience that I didn't play again until set 3. a few months of polish would go a long way to grabbing people and keeping them, you generally don't get a second chance at a first impression.

Yoss
09-14-2015, 05:22 PM

Another +1

Sixlooter
09-15-2015, 01:25 AM
A unfun campaign experience at the outset will be horrible for the game. Imo it is much better to put out something polished then a half attempt and hope people come back.

Well you are thinking of the casual gamers not the early backers or the folks who spent quite some coin and/or time with this game. If it is really so unpolished right now, they could put it on a test server with access for the higher tier backers. Maybe they dont do it, because of the fear videos or screens could leak, that would create a nagative image, which is understandable. Still I think something like Chris Roberts is doing. Feeding the community small "quite polished" pieces. For example release another dundeon before you release all the characters/race options, or do that first for use in arena and a dungeon later.

plaguedealer
09-15-2015, 06:00 AM
Well you are thinking of the casual gamers not the early backers or the folks who spent quite some coin and/or time with this game. If it is really so unpolished right now, they could put it on a test server with access for the higher tier backers. Maybe they dont do it, because of the fear videos or screens could leak, that would create a nagative image, which is understandable. Still I think something like Chris Roberts is doing. Feeding the community small "quite polished" pieces. For example release another dundeon before you release all the characters/race options, or do that first for use in arena and a dungeon later.

From what I am hearing from others, pve is not ready for a test server. A test server would be ok in the future. Releasing a half baked product for the high backers would be a horrible decision.

Saeijou
09-15-2015, 02:36 PM
i can deal with bugs, as long as i get my lotus garden and it works ;)

ziggarius
09-16-2015, 07:01 AM

As a Kickstarter that has invested even more into Hex because i love limited and the original reason i backed was pve NOT pvp i disagree.

I also have Kickstarter ships for star citizen. I do not play star citizen at all. I think i even uninstalled the stupidly large client.

Hex is doing things right and we need multiple dungeons and all race/class combinations at the launch of pve. Piece mealing this would be ridiculously bad for hex. No matter how they split it they will make a portion of the existing player base unhappy and people coming in that hex wants to hook look away and probably ignore it entirely as i have done with star citizen.

Yes, i want pve in hex now. But a fuller experience at the cost of more time to implement it correctly is crucial for hex. We've had no wipes build your collection for too long to allow a partial and incomplete experience which is the key issue here.

Star citizen gets away with what it's doing cause nothing is "live" yet. They're still building the core mechanics while hex has had their core mechanics running for 2 years now.