PDA

View Full Version : Felicity Smoak - Too powerful?

BenJazz
08-16-2015, 07:36 PM
I have been playing Arrow for a few weeks now and I have to say Felicity is dominating all the other over-sized characters. I feel it is the fact that she is one of the few characters who can pick the cards she pulls from under the character card AND it goes into the players hand. Additionally, though it is luck as to what cards you (secretly!) put under her, she can gain momentum very early game even with only having some low cost hero cards in the deck. It is hard to block her for this reason as it usually not in other peoples best interest to buy these low cost heroes.

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just not finding the right counter-strategy for beating Felicity.

Do0shebag55
08-16-2015, 07:57 PM
I agree she's most powerful in her own set, like Beast Boy and Superboy seem best in TT, or Fate and Wildcat in their set.

All you can do against her is deny Heroes and hope for the best

SpiritDetective
08-16-2015, 08:19 PM
I was Felicity the first time I played Arrow and my opponents bought up the heroes in the lineup to make sure I wasn't a threat.

BenJazz
08-16-2015, 08:40 PM
I was Felicity the first time I played Arrow and my opponents bought up the heroes in the lineup to make sure I wasn't a threat.

That may be the issue. I play a lot of 1v1 games with my fiancee and it is much harder to do this while playing to your strengths.

LexLuthorJr
08-16-2015, 09:45 PM
We found she is quite a powerful character, basically getting cards for free just by playing a lot of Heroes. She's won every game we've used her in. We have yet to ban a character, but she's one of the ones we turn down playing just because she's too good and it makes the game less fun knowing how well she's doing.

StormKing
08-16-2015, 11:41 PM
In a 1v1 game, she's definitely very strong. In 3 or more players it's not so hard to deny her Heroes.

BenJazz
08-17-2015, 05:44 AM
In a 1v1 game, she's definitely very strong. In 3 or more players it's not so hard to deny her Heroes.

But it still says something when it takes the entire group to keep one over-sized character from winning.

destroth
08-17-2015, 09:00 AM
We found she is quite a powerful character, basically getting cards for free just by playing a lot of Heroes. She's won every game we've used her in. We have yet to ban a character, but she's one of the ones we turn down playing just because she's too good and it makes the game less fun knowing how well she's doing.

Which set your using as the core for arrow crossover? The character power changes slightly depending on the core set... Roy Harper is quite good in FE, as the number of super power is much more compared to the other set, FE also have many not so useful super power for Roy Harper to take, not to mention, word of power (1-cost super power card), easily grant him the ability to take down a super hero.

Oliver queen is pretty good too(but felicity is better)
Diggle is pretty good in HU, with the "heroes of tomorrow card", and defenses like "Skeet" and "Canary Cry"

The only character that I find problem with is Sara Lance, is like a worse black manta.... But in the base set, with princess diana in addition to collapsible staff, Sara lance can be pretty strong.

BenJazz
08-17-2015, 09:44 AM
The only character that I find problem with is Sara Lance, is like a worse black manta.... But in the base set, with princess diana in addition to collapsible staff, Sara lance can be pretty strong.

I actually found a great trick using her for the base set. If you are able to grab Verdant location and some Suicide Squads/Clayfaces you can really get Suicide Squads ability working consistently. She is also a great help early game as you can buy a villain turn one and/or two and place them on bottom giving you some good power turn 3 to start getting some good cards. She is still very situational though.

StormKing
08-17-2015, 09:58 AM
But it still says something when it takes the entire group to keep one over-sized character from winning.

That is not what I said. It's not hard to deny her, not "everyone has to team up to beat her". I should be clearer and say, it's very easy to deny her her power in a non 1v1.

BenJazz
08-17-2015, 11:23 AM
That is not what I said. It's not hard to deny her, not "everyone has to team up to beat her". I should be clearer and say, it's very easy to deny her her power in a non 1v1.

My mistake. Alas I don't get to play many non-1v1 games these days without it being Crisis haha

StormKing
08-17-2015, 03:14 PM
My mistake. Alas I don't get to play many non-1v1 games these days without it being Crisis haha

That's fair, she IS very strong in 1 on 1, probably one of the strongest playable characters. Outside of 1 on 1, Heroes are generally the most sought after card type so for Felicity to buy 2, play both on the same turn and then play them again on a different turn to get a random card that might not even be good for her, it can be pretty tough. She has probably the most difficult input of all hero powers but rightfully the biggest reward for pulling it off.

SpiritDetective
08-17-2015, 04:11 PM
How good is Felicity when she's not going up against the Arrow Oversized Heroes?

destroth
08-17-2015, 05:08 PM
I actually found a great trick using her for the base set. If you are able to grab Verdant location and some Suicide Squads/Clayfaces you can really get Suicide Squads ability working consistently. She is also a great help early game as you can buy a villain turn one and/or two and place them on bottom giving you some good power turn 3 to start getting some good cards. She is still very situational though.

Yea that is one of the trick , my opponent try to pull that on me , that's until I destroy one of the suicide squad below his character before he could put it all under his deck. But it's certainly a good strategy for sara.

destroth
08-17-2015, 05:10 PM
How good is Felicity when she's not going up against the Arrow Oversized Heroes?

Still good ! Definitely one on the higher tier.

BenJazz
08-17-2015, 05:13 PM
Yea that is one of the trick , my opponent try to pull that on me , that's until I destroy one of the suicide squad below his character before he could put it all under his deck. But it's certainly a good strategy for sara.

Very dependent on if other Arrow main deck cards have come out yet. The way I play it though is keep SS in your deck until you have Verdant and then at the start of your turn, put SS under Sara and draw card. Then use Sara's ability to put on bottom. Repeat until you have 3 or more SS or Clayfaces on bottom and enjoy. Keeps the SS from staying under Sara except during your turn when no one can mess with it. Never keep any strategy cards under Sara unless you know they are safe.

Biteandrun
08-18-2015, 09:27 AM
Felicity dose seem strong. How do you guys mix in the crossover cards and in to which deck do you do so I have both cross over packs but don't like to make the decks unbalanced ?

BenJazz
08-18-2015, 11:07 AM
Felicity dose seem strong. How do you guys mix in the crossover cards and in to which deck do you do so I have both cross over packs but don't like to make the decks unbalanced ?

I have played Arrow with base and Heroes United. Don't know why I haven't tried with Forever Evil or Titans yet. I have tried different sets with JSA but I usually play it with base set since the location fits so well.

SpiritDetective
08-18-2015, 11:35 AM
I have played Arrow with base and Heroes United. Don't know why I haven't tried with Forever Evil or Titans yet. I have tried different sets with JSA but I usually play it with base set since the location fits so well.

I've only played Arrow with set 1. It made sense considering it had Green Arrow and Green Arrow's Bow.

How was Arrow with Heroes Unite?

LRoq617
08-18-2015, 12:00 PM
I've only played Arrow with set 1. It made sense considering it had Green Arrow and Green Arrow's Bow.

How was Arrow with Heroes Unite?

It's pretty fun. The most absurd interaction I had was easily Oliver with Collapsible Staff. On turn 3, I used it to steal a Black Lantern Corps from the lineup, then discarded a Vulnerability to put it in my hand and play it.

This was on turn 3. Imagine how much more insane the game got from there.

BenJazz
08-18-2015, 12:51 PM
It's pretty fun. The most absurd interaction I had was easily Oliver with Collapsible Staff. On turn 3, I used it to steal a Black Lantern Corps from the lineup, then discarded a Vulnerability to put it in my hand and play it.

This was on turn 3. Imagine how much more insane the game got from there.

Isn't Oliver's ability only at the start of the turn? That is the limitation I had with him, things sometimes have to sit under him for a turn with the potential of people messing with the cards. That is what I liked about Sara, you can do both parts on the turn to immediately put a villain you bought or gained on bottom.

LRoq617
08-19-2015, 04:06 AM
Isn't Oliver's ability only at the start of the turn? That is the limitation I had with him, things sometimes have to sit under him for a turn with the potential of people messing with the cards. That is what I liked about Sara, you can do both parts on the turn to immediately put a villain you bought or gained on bottom.

Oh wow, I just checked, and you're absolutely right. So I couldn't have done it that turn. Still, it would've been almost as bad one turn later.