PDA

View Full Version : Majesty, Squirrels, Spiders.. Oh My!

Malcolm
09-16-2015, 10:35 PM
Played yesterday: 1 comp draft, 3 sealed gauntlets.
Played today: 1 comp draft (ticket reset), 4 sealed gauntlets.

How so many in 1 day: Spiders, Spiders, More Fraking Spiders, and MOAR Fraking Spiders.
I'm officially sick of the game as at least with Majesty being Constructed legal, folks would often play it in Limited and there were R/W and R/D decks. It's still legal in Limited, though useless in draft, and yet no one is playing it in sealed and the amount of R/W decks I've come across are minor compared to before.

I went from 3-0, up to 6-0 records pre-ban, down to: If I don't block out a Spider deck vs the other Spider decks out there, it's game over. 0-3. Period. It's shocking as hell. And dumb.

The ban on Majesty was supposed to encourage the meta to become fresh again in all formats; it's shifted, but its not fresh. Having the same kind of deck type now dominating Both Limited formats is quite frankly horrible for any tcg. Statements from the devs came down to the ban needing to happen (and I agree, thats not the pt at all in this post) in order to shake up the meta and encourage more discovery of decks in Set 3.
I played around with Coyotle prophecy perfect deck (was truly an amazing pack crack), too slow and not responsive enough.
R/W: ugh, way too dependent on luck and too slow.
B/D: Spider didn't care. What you're shifting a shifter to shift and making that guy a phantom? Hmmm I just popped 4 troops from your deck turn 5, you lose.

I messed around with the Spider deck in Frost Ring on test-server; I think they're hilarious. But I'm sooooo sick of seeing them now and how over 60% of the decks I'm now facing are pure spider.

A troop type that creates more of its own with nearly every card in its grouping, including it's own Removal or control cards, is now too powerful since it's natural predator deck (Majesty) is gone.

The whole point of banning Majesty was the fact that there was 0% interaction needed with your opponent; a bad precedent in tcgs of any kind. Now the problem lies in the fact that the new dominant meta is almost as bad as it manipulates your opponent's deck without them being able to do Anything about it. In fact it's bad enough that the very resource you depend on, card draw, both hoses you and gives your opponent benefits and in the current state of the game there is Nothing you can do to stop it.
i.e. There should have been Orc cards in Set 3 to let you find and remove those eggs, or block them as they get put in somehow.
But there isn't.

So lets hear from the Pros on what the new shakeout meta is in their minds, and why I'm seeing nothing but a wall of Spiders 2 days in a row for 14+hrs a day... blech.

nicosharp
09-16-2015, 10:38 PM
I rarely see spiders, and when I do, I tend to beat them. Some outliers either way. A limited pool, is a limited pool - they either have the nuts or they don't. TM ban had 0 effect on limited, and it seems so absurd to make a post associating it to your bad beats in limited play.
1x Staggering Blast, 1x Stinging Ambush FTW.

Skirovik
09-16-2015, 10:38 PM
I don't understand. You're talking about limited and there's been NO CHANGE to limited with the TM ban. You're just seeing a variance where there were clearly some bomb spider cards in a couple drafts and sealed gauntlets for a bit.

Just to reiterate, the ban on TM was constructed only and NOT limited. It has had NO EFFECT on limited events.

funktion
09-16-2015, 11:00 PM
Just to make sure you're complaining about spiders in limited specifically right? Anecdotally my highest win rate archetype is probably not spiders.

Zophie
09-16-2015, 11:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Aof6Gyy.gif

Ertzi
09-16-2015, 11:14 PM
I am already sorry for the arachnophobes who stumble into this thread.

Zophie
09-16-2015, 11:21 PM
I am already sorry for the arachnophobes who stumble into this thread.

Haha I had a lot creepier spider gifs ready to choose from, but I thought I'd be nice and decided to go with the less-scary one this time... we'll see where this thread goes from here though ;)

WWKnight
09-16-2015, 11:43 PM
Why do the sunglasses only cover two eyes? That doesnt make sense.

TOOT
09-17-2015, 12:05 AM
http://i.imgur.com/dsJBa5g.jpg

Mejis
09-17-2015, 01:03 AM
My personal experience pre and post ban (which makes no difference to limited ya??) is that I beat spiders most of the time. The decks are heavily reliant on all the appropriate parts clicking, and that is often too slow. Of course there are exceptions when I've been trounced by spiders. But I'd much rather see the spider champ appear on the coin flip than some others.

Cernz
09-17-2015, 01:42 AM
how can a constructed card ban effect any limited format? :)

iSimeon
09-17-2015, 01:48 AM

+1

WolfCrypt
09-17-2015, 01:57 AM
http://new4.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/Spiders+are+actually+not+that+bad+_ccaee594effd7cd 17044d53e8a88c5ba.jpg

I don't see how TM ban has any thing to do with a format it wasn't ban in. Everyone stopped using it cuz it's not 'in' anymore. Even card games have fads.

Showsni
09-17-2015, 02:36 AM
I can kind of see that maybe before the ban someone would be more likely to take a TM in draft, and that might perhaps push them towards a certain archetype; but honestly, I think that's a real stretch. For starters, TM is a rare. There will be many draft pools where it never shows up at all. Secondly, it usually isn't even all that good in draft. I've run Ruby Wild draft decks before where I've cut TM and left it in the sideboard.

And you're complaining about spiders? Sure, if you get the cards it can be a strong archetype. And sometimes you'll get RNG wins from playing a single Incubate turn one and them drawing three eggs in a row. But to call it a broken limited archetype? Ha, not even close! You say you've been playing mostly sealed. And sure, sometimes people will open a really good, synergistic pool. All you can do is shrug and move on; such is the nature of sealed. It's more an indicator that a single person had a good pool than a problem with the set. Personally, I rarely seem to open a good pool for spiders.

Graydeath
09-17-2015, 04:48 AM
I the last 10 draft i didi i found only 2 spider deck of 26 different opponent i faced, all this draft i played non spider in all the draft, so i dont see all this spider around.

And usually i winn against spider.

elfstone
09-17-2015, 05:25 AM
you mentioned 2 drafts amd 7 gauntlets

You understand you play what your given in gauntlet right? Im currently running spiders in my gauntlet cause its my best deck by far.

Its like complaining about running into dorfs in set 1. Its gonna happen, the meta is built around it. you may have had a bad string of luck hitting that many spider decks, but I've found myself still using W/R and W/S alot too. its about what you get. and if you get decent blood and sapphire, then your probably going spiders :p

Stok3d
09-17-2015, 05:41 AM
Forget spiders, I'm just scared of the future possible squirrel decks. Actually, scratch that statement. God forbid when someone figures out the synergy of set 4 spiders with squirrels...

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m58/plecostomus_2006/still/spider-squirrel.jpg

plaguedealer
09-17-2015, 05:54 AM
The blue constant that causes one to mill cards based on damage dealt is a key staple in a spider deck imo. Without that card (and others) spiders seem a little to combo oriented for me. Spiders do hurt prophecy heavy decks but they can also easily get run over by them too.

Set 3 is really balanced and a great limited format. I just wish there were more rares worth over 100 plat, so I can do more value drafting.

Mahes
09-17-2015, 06:06 AM
It was Humans with Set 2. This Set's main theme is spiders. I have both won and lost with spider decks. They are a luck driven deck that can own an opponent or be very weak.

Just to clarify, did you say TM is useless in a draft? It might not be the instant win that can occur with constructed but I hardly consider TM useless in a limited format.

Erukk
09-17-2015, 06:26 AM

+1

+2

BigDog
09-17-2015, 07:36 AM
+2
+3

Tazelbain
09-17-2015, 07:37 AM
the timecube is realz

Turboflex
09-17-2015, 07:39 AM
Spiders can really explode on you once they reach that critical # mass in a deck and have the appropriate mill components in play, but they often struggle to get there and are fairly weak before they do, the early vennen staple troops have 0-2 attack. I think maybe your own decks are either too slow, or you aren't putting enough removal in your decks. With stronger troops and better removal, in a typical game the non-spider player should be way ahead of the spider player in terms of board presence, health and had chances to kill or hold up something like hatchery cultivator or runeweb infiltrator that are key to pumping spiders into your deck. Then there are cards that can deal with spiders very well, as someone mentioned, stinging ambush and staggering blast.

Eredyn
09-17-2015, 08:40 AM
There's no link between the TM ban and the state of limited in any way whatsoever.

Aside from that, spiders really isn't even close to being the best limited archetype. It's far too random and way too inconsistent with numerous completely blow-out counters available at varied rarities (Stinging Ambush, Staggering Blast, Eternal Sage, Noxious Glory to name but a few).

People like playing spiders and you happened to run into a few of them. That's all it is.

Saeijou
09-17-2015, 08:47 AM
hey... someone has issues... so he has 3 possebilities:
1. make a thread about the bad shuffler
2. see, that he had bad luck/his decks aren't good enough
3. blame something/someone else...

that troll thread should be closed... honestly...

Miwa
09-17-2015, 09:34 AM
Not to mention a single common still wrecks spider decks... (and it's in a good limited deck archetype to boot)

Warrender
09-17-2015, 09:45 AM
In other news, the TM ban was directly responsible for the Philadelphia Eagles losing their game against Atlanta last week.

JakeFreedom
09-17-2015, 10:24 AM
You are always going to come up against spiders in limited. Just as most of us always came up against Volcannon in set 1.
It Is What It Is. Since limited changes so quickly, I wouldn't worry about it. I am sure the next set will bring some annoying archetypes that certain players will DIS-LIKE as well...

Zophie
09-17-2015, 10:37 AM
In other news, the TM ban was directly responsible for the Philadelphia Eagles losing their game against Atlanta last week.

I think you're right. The Eagles were so distraught over the TM ban they dropped the ball into Ricardo Allen's lap at the end instead of passing to Cody Parkey for a field goal to restore their lead. In fairness though, the ball was filled with spiders so I'm guessing that's why Jordan Matthews let Ricardo Allen catch it instead. If only the spiders had hatched before the clock ran out they might have had a chance at coming back. Oh well

Metronomy
09-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Does the OP realy complain that the TM ban caused limited to be dominated by spiders now ? Is this realy what he is saying ?

I dont even know where to start...

Zophie
09-17-2015, 11:00 AM
http://i.imgur.com/f7flsW1.png

Superjuice
09-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Wait, so because TM was banned in constructed you are now facing nothing but spiders in limited?

I'm thinking you need to take a break and reconsider your argument... lmao

plaguedealer
09-17-2015, 12:09 PM
I like how he makes one post and then gtfo. Oh well, it is funny because it is so ridiculous. What irks me is a little is the title of the thread.

hex_colin
09-17-2015, 12:47 PM
I like how he makes one post and then gtfo. Oh well, it is funny because it is so ridiculous. What irks me is a little is the title of the thread.

No, the title has to stay the way it originally was! It's a monument to whatever this post is/was... ;)

knightofeffect
09-17-2015, 12:47 PM
Yea, as has been aptly pointed out, your premise is non-sensical.

As to spiders in limited. I think it is positioned very well in limited in regards to power level. Maybe it's a little underpowered, I definently prefer to see it over any other solid archetype in limited. If you are really concerned about it, here's a hint: staggering blast is severely undervalued in limited.

Fyren
09-17-2015, 01:25 PM
I think you're right. The Eagles were so distraught over the TM ban they dropped the ball into Ricardo Allen's lap at the end instead of passing to Cody Parkey for a field goal to restore their lead. In fairness though, the ball was filled with spiders so I'm guessing that's why Jordan Matthews let Ricardo Allen catch it instead. If only the spiders had hatched before the clock ran out they might have had a chance at coming back. Oh well

I know none of those names nor have I any desire to, and I still thought this was goddamn hilarious. I'm envisioning the Instant Replay and color commentary as spiders emerge from a football to the slow-motion distress of a running back.

"Oh, man, Bob, are those tarantulas coming out of the ball?"

"Looks like it, Jim, and Deltoid Hamsterlicker drops it near the 35 yard line. That's gonna be a real downer for the Boston Weasels; You never want spiders in your balls during the playoffs. Fortunately no one seems to be even trying to intercept the fumble-"

Xenavire
09-17-2015, 01:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/f7flsW1.png

Dammit Zophie! I spent 15 seconds waiting for this to move.

The_Lannisters
09-17-2015, 01:51 PM

Haha, same here! :cool:

Eierdotter
09-17-2015, 01:52 PM
so why is this troll topic still not closed?

Zophie
09-17-2015, 01:54 PM

There's movement, but it's hidden under the desk

Cernz
09-17-2015, 03:36 PM
There's movement, but it's hidden under the desk

ha... thought i did smell some monica lewinsky out of this picture ;)

Zophie
09-17-2015, 04:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UbB0z6z.gif

Stok3d
09-17-2015, 06:55 PM
What irks me is a little is the title of the thread.

It bothers me as well as "state of the game" sounds as though it is an official CZE address... which it is not. I instead updated thread topic to something more appropriate.

so why is this troll topic still not closed?

Because it's so obvious... it's funny... and we mods don't want to be perceived as heavy handed... or without a sense of humor :)

Zophie
09-18-2015, 03:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xkcjUf2.gif

wolzarg
09-21-2015, 01:43 PM
I don't understand arachnophobia but then again where i come from the worst one is rare and about as dangerous as a single wasp.
http://i.imgur.com/uF69Eu2.jpg

Xenavire
09-21-2015, 02:11 PM
I don't understand arachnophobia but then again where i come from the worst one is rare and about as dangerous as a single wasp.

Katipō - my mother told me a friend of hers got bitten by a couple that managed to get into his jacket one day at the beach. I think he went to the hospital to be sure, but as far as I know he is alive and well to this day.

Funny to think that is one of the most dangerous animals native to NZ. ;)

Venitas
09-22-2015, 01:26 AM

Ironically, while I don't suffer from arachnophobia, I do have pretty bad spheksophobia - fear of wasps...

Xenavire
09-22-2015, 04:09 AM
Ironically, while I don't suffer from arachnophobia, I do have pretty bad spheksophobia - fear of wasps...

I don't blame you - to put it bluntly, wasps are natures biggest assholes. The steal, they hurt things, and they get pissed off for the littlest thing.

When I was a kid, I had those jerks stalk me daily as they tried to steal my tomato and (insert meat and lettuce here) sandwiches... Thanks to them, I picked up a bad habit, of eating too fast.

Zophie
09-22-2015, 09:22 AM

Don't worry, this spider's got your back:

http://i.imgur.com/JgwBnan.gif