PDA

View Full Version : Road to the $100,000 Tournament

Phenteo
09-25-2015, 08:57 AM
It's finally here! We’re extremely excited to start the $100,000 tournament series and we hope you will enjoy participating and competing for the grand prize! The beginning of that long journey starts now and 12 lucky finalists will be flown out to sunny Southern California in February 2016 to compete for fame, glory, and money! Do you have what it takes to be the first HEX Invitational Champion?

Read more: https://www.hextcg.com/road-to-the-100000-tournament/

Edswor
09-25-2015, 09:04 AM
So many 0!!!

magic_gazz
09-25-2015, 09:55 AM
Will we be able to do anything with spare tickets once the events are over?

magic_gazz
09-25-2015, 10:08 AM
Nevermind, answers in the tournament rules.

Interesting that it says the sets legal for the invitational in Feb are the same ones we have now. Does this mean set 4 is not planned until after feb?

Mahes
09-25-2015, 11:10 AM
Could be they are doing this to remain constant throughout the tournament cycle, instead of throwing in another set at the end of the cycle.

I look forward to seeing what happens but I could not go out to California without my wife and daughter. I imagine I am not alone when it comes to family commitments. To those fortunate to have the time to do this, good luck.

Metronomy
09-25-2015, 11:39 AM
Finally scheduled tournaments are gonna to fire...they should already fire as of today since they have the best price payouts but since it needs coordinated effort they dont fire sadly (this will change with october 6th)..

Any updates about a ladder system ?

I have to say I have not a single point to disagree with regarding the way they plan to do the qualifiers.

On a related note: Exspect to see many new names coming the next couple days and weeks. The law-suit being settled + the 100k qualifiers dates announcement should generate a ton of publicity. The next thing I hope to hear from HXE is about making the game introduction more informative and easy to handle (see forum thread about this topic) and everything looks good.

Mahes
09-25-2015, 11:54 AM
I missed that announcement. The lawsuit was settled? Oh..it is on Reddit and front page and I am in a match so blahhhh.

Chark
09-25-2015, 02:15 PM
Nevermind, answers in the tournament rules.

Interesting that it says the sets legal for the invitational in Feb are the same ones we have now. Does this mean set 4 is not planned until after feb?

We can update the rules at any time. The rules say so. If we want to adjust the final to have set 4, then we'll just update the rules and likely let the 12 affected people know.

Chark
09-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Could be they are doing this to remain constant throughout the tournament cycle, instead of throwing in another set at the end of the cycle.

I look forward to seeing what happens but I could not go out to California without my wife and daughter. I imagine I am not alone when it comes to family commitments. To those fortunate to have the time to do this, good luck.

You can sell it to them as a business tirp. You're going on a work trip. You are guaranteed 1,000 USD for your trip.

N3rd4Christ
09-25-2015, 02:22 PM
The HYPE is real! No more looming doom and now more dailies

RCDv57
09-25-2015, 03:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuYeHPFR3f0

N3rd4Christ
09-25-2015, 04:11 PM
The second verse is quite applicable

Counter
09-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Cool beans. Looks wonderful!

Chocmaw
09-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Excellent news :)

Q1 - It says 5 wins in Gauntlet. Does that mean 5 games won or 5 Gauntlets won?
Q2 - Do the tickets that you win have expiry dates?
Q3 - Are tickets transferable between accounts?

Cheers

MicZeSeraphin
09-26-2015, 01:11 AM
Excellent news :)

Q1 - It says 5 wins in Gauntlet. Does that mean 5 games won or 5 Gauntlets won?
Q2 - Do the tickets that you win have expiry dates?
Q3 - Are tickets transferable between accounts?

Cheers

A1: For every gauntlet you get 5 wins in, you get a ticket.
A2: The tickets expire after every invitational, so you have to gather 10 tickets between the invitationals.
A3: Not talked about but I am pretty confident they won't be.

And now to a question on my own, will VIP tournaments give tickets too?

Voormas
09-26-2015, 02:42 AM
A2: The tickets expire after every invitational, so you have to gather 10 tickets between the invitationals.

The only thing about expiring tickets from the rules PDF; "Unused tickets after the last scheduled HEX IQ will be removed from player's accounts without any compensation to the player"

(emphasis mine)

Lafoote
09-26-2015, 04:39 AM
Don't care about/have no shot at winning trillion dollar tournament. Just want my PvE updates.

Frost3
09-26-2015, 05:08 AM
I'm am exited and somewhat nervous about this announcement. (The good kind of nervous ;)

I would like to pose a few questions that do not need to be answered quickly. (You'll see why.)

Question 1. Will enough notice be given to the winning players, the days needed to travel to and participate in the tournament? (Most jobs require a minimum of two weeks notice.) This is kind of a dumb question, I'm asking just in case, this wasn't anticipated.

Question 2. Given that we are eventually going for esports, will this event be covered online? (via the official twitch channel for example.) I think a lot of us would love to watch this event unfold, as it is historic and we just love hex anyway.

Question 3. Will there be a live spectatorship for this event? (I likely wouldn't be able to afford to attend, but if I am lucky enough to win one of the twelve slots it would be awesome to meet more then just the eleven other challengers, but also other hex community members.

Question 4. If the answer to questions 2 or 3 end up being yes, will we have announcer/shout casters? If so, will they be hex employees and/or community members? Personally if Cory Hudson isn't a judge or something of that nature, and he has time, I WOULD LOVE to see him be one of the shout casters. His passion for this game is what drew us here, I can think of no one better to be one of the 2/3? announcers. However if community members can apply for the spot, and they don't happen to win one of those precious challenger slots, i would immediately cast a vote for Pentachills. I have watched every Five Shards Cup either live or later on, and feel he is not only an excellent candidate, but would love the opportunity to shout cast such a historic event. (Maybe not as much as he would like to win said even ;)

p.s. You guys are doing a fantastic job keeping my attention, love, and devotion toward this game as high as it can be.

ossuary
09-26-2015, 08:32 AM
There are definitely big plans for the live broadcast of the finals. I don't know what they are exactly, but if both Colin and Will (Shaq) are giggling about it, you know it's going to be something awesome.

I'm sure there's been nothing official said about this yet, but I'd be VERY surprised if CZE didn't allow some fans to come to the offices in person to cheer on the finals in some fashion. That's what conference rooms are for, right? I'm betting Phenteo will have some info on this for us closer to the date of the actual event... though I would expect this to be something you have to sign up for in advance since they'll definitely have limited space.

DraXor
09-26-2015, 03:01 PM
Im wondering, cards from Sealed INVITATIONAL will stay with player or they are only temporary for tournament?

Yoss
09-26-2015, 03:03 PM
Im wondering, cards from Sealed INVITATIONAL will stay with player or they are only temporary for tournament?

You keep the cards.

Chark
09-27-2015, 12:00 AM

Just to clarify any confusion

Tickets do not expire after every invitational qualifier. You keep them until the last invitational qualifier (January). When you can no longer use them (because there are no more qualifiers), that's when we remove them from your accounts.

Chark
09-27-2015, 12:03 AM
I'm am exited and somewhat nervous about this announcement. (The good kind of nervous ;)

I would like to pose a few questions that do not need to be answered quickly. (You'll see why.)

Question 1. Will enough notice be given to the winning players, the days needed to travel to and participate in the tournament? (Most jobs require a minimum of two weeks notice.) This is kind of a dumb question, I'm asking just in case, this wasn't anticipated.

The timing for the final event is described in the Terms of Service and in the Tournament Rules. The timing between the last IQ and the Hex Invitational is roughly 6 weeks. Basically if you win one of the IQs, you'll have a good idea for the days you'll want to ask from work. It's also important to remember that even if you place 12th at the Invitational, you still get $1000 dollars for coming out. I didn't want folks to be out money, if for example they have to take time off work without pay.

As for the rest of the questions: unfortunately we are not yet ready to discuss the details of the coverage of the HEX Invitational tournament. As soon as we're ready, you'll find it on hextcg.com :)

TerryPoole
09-28-2015, 05:42 AM
Is there any word on the prizes (apart from tickets) for the daily tournaments?

superdax
09-28-2015, 06:45 AM
Is there any word on the prizes (apart from tickets) for the daily tournaments?

The daily tournaments are the one that are already in the client.
Constructed
Cost: 500 plat
4 wins: 10 packs
3 wins: 6 packs
2 wins: 3 packs

Sealed
Cost : 1400 plat (6 boosters + 200 plat)
4 wins: 13 packs
3 wins: 8 packs
2 wins: 3 packs

OutlandishMatt
09-29-2015, 12:59 AM
I didn't see anyone discussing this section:

Participants acknowledge that in accordance with certain legal provisions, ordinances or other mandatory requirements, in individual cases participation in the tournament may not be possible, and that this may lead to their eligibility being revoked, even retrospectively. With regard to the United States of America, this is particularly relevant for the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Montana, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Tennessee.

It excludes 13 states (mine included).

What's really interesting is that in Magic Online (now that the lawsuit is settled) it states:

https://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1358

(b) Eligibility (United States). You must be physically located in a U.S. state in which participation in the tournaments offered through the Game Service is unrestricted by law. Rules governing sweepstakes, contests and tournaments with entry fees and/or prizes are established by individual states. Based on those laws, residents of the following states may not participate in fee-based tournaments with prizes through the Game Service: Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Nevada, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont and Washington.

The states do not match up. Your tournament excludes Illinois, Montana, South Carolina, and South Dakota. But it allows Nevada, Texas, Vermont, and Washington.

Littlejon24
09-29-2015, 03:00 PM
im somewhat depressed about the tournament start times. both alternating times seem to allow EU players to participate in all tournaments. EU players will be starting their tournaments at 8:00am, and 5:00pm. this gives them options for participation. in the US, our options will be 2:00am, and 11:00am (EST). far less appealing considering many work on Saturdays in the US.

would it be possible to insert a 3rd time start that started later in the day in the US?

RCDv57
09-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Daily Sealed payout: Avg 30 pack P8P (Per 8 Players)
Daily Constructed Payout: Avg 25 Pack P8P
Not possible for me to predict how many players will participate per day on avg

111 Days to earn tickets
6,105 Packs P8P for Dailys

With a full Qualifier round (256 Player Min)
Maximum Pack payout is 2,316 per qualifier
27,792 Max Packs for Qualifier Tournaments
The actual number will likely be closer to 20,000 Packs
The first couple of tournaments likely will not fill up

(Total number of Daily Players / 8) x 6,105 + 20,000

Number of tickets generated from Dailies
(10 x 111) + (4 x 111) + (1 x 3 x 111)
1,887 Tickets P8P

That's 235 Tickets generated per player over the whole season.
And you only need 120 tickets at most.

My numbers are not 100% accurate as I didn't factor in statistics and that other complicated stuff.
But in my opinion it is worth giving it a shot. Even if you *know* that you cant win.

You don't need to get 1st place in order to *Win*. I mean just look at the absurd amount of Packs that are up for grabs. Even placing 64th in any of qualifier gets you some cool sleeves and 15 packs.
That's pretty good. It's also not that difficult to pull off.

KingxOfxThexVoid
10-01-2015, 11:02 AM
I hope that double backs work for any cards used/gained in invitationals (at least players names on it and where they got them from)

tecnophi
10-01-2015, 11:04 AM
So... in the process of trying to add calendar events with times on FiveShards... I see a discrepancy in the times on the 100k page and need clarification.

The times on the page are listed in CEST (Central European Summer Time), but the worldclock link is to UTC (Universal Coordinated Time). http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=First+HEX+Qualifier+-+Sealed&iso=20151010T08&p1=%3A

Please clarify?

Chark
10-01-2015, 09:08 PM
So... in the process of trying to add calendar events with times on FiveShards... I see a discrepancy in the times on the 100k page and need clarification.

The times on the page are listed in CEST (Central European Summer Time), but the worldclock link is to UTC (Universal Coordinated Time). http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=First+HEX+Qualifier+-+Sealed&iso=20151010T08&p1=%3A

Please clarify?

The times in CEST in the actual text are correct. We tried to be helpful with World Clock link, but somehow botched that conversion. Sorry about that.

McCloud68
10-02-2015, 03:11 PM
So just to clarify for us west coast folks. The 1st IQ is actually at 11pm PDT Friday night.

azteclord
10-05-2015, 04:28 PM
I am sad that I cannot participate since I live in Florida. I was all set to kick some butt.

OutlandishMatt
10-05-2015, 06:56 PM
I am sad that I cannot participate since I live in Florida.

Aye. This pretty much lowers my enthusiasm to an all time low. :-/ I just wish I could get more clarification on what exactly prevents us from winning. Can I get any prizes? Am I even allowed to participate in the IQ? If I qualify for the Invitational, what can I win? Can I not get some other form of compensation?

Cernz
10-06-2015, 12:31 AM
Will there be a patch today to implement the points? Scheduled sealed at 19 cest is the first one which gives points i heard?

poizonous
10-06-2015, 04:15 AM
wait what do you mean we cant participate in florida?

Warrender
10-06-2015, 04:33 AM
wait what do you mean we cant participate in florida?

From http://hextcg.com/press_assets/HEX_Invitational_ToS_EN.pdf

Participants acknowledge that in accordance with certain legal provisions, ordinances or other
mandatory requirements, in individual cases participation in the tournament may not be possible, and
that this may lead to their eligibility being revoked, even retrospectively. With regard to the United
States of America, this is particularly relevant for the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut,
Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Montana, South Carolina, South Dakota, and
Tennessee.

poizonous
10-06-2015, 04:48 AM
Don't make much sense to me since i can participate in the mtgocs why should this be any different

Warrender
10-06-2015, 04:53 AM
No idea. But if I was to wager a guess, I think this would fall under a cover-our-butts policy. It doesn't specifically forbid you from participating but if you do win and run afoul of your state's legislations, they can always say they told you so.

azteclord
10-06-2015, 07:53 AM
It's actually illegal to participate. And knowing that it was illegal and still participating would get both parties in trouble.

ossuary
10-06-2015, 09:27 AM
There's no point being angry or disappointed in CZE over this. It's got nothing to do with them. If you don't like it, raise shit with your state's legislators, as it's their gambling and / or contest restrictions that make these kinds of exclusions necessary. CZE is just doing their due diligence by making these restrictions known.

For those wondering, they can't really do anything about you playing an online game, so anyone can compete in the IQ tournaments if they've earned the tickets - it just means you can't claim the physical part of the prize or compete in the finals if you do win an IQ. In this scenario, CZE would likely award the trip and finals spot to the next person on the list from the person who was ineligible to win due to location, the same as if the first place finisher had already won a previous IQ.

azteclord
10-06-2015, 12:32 PM
I wasn't complaining to the company. I am angry about it myself. But I've had way too many fights already with Florida just with my writing (I sell online, which goes to a different state bank, so I have to pay their taxes since it's virtual).

But I love playing, as you can see.

poizonous
10-06-2015, 05:23 PM
The main issue i have is that Florida can compete in MTGOCS so why is this any different

TJTaylor
10-06-2015, 06:05 PM
It is illegal to participate for prizes IN the state where the law prevents it because they claim it is gambling. Solution: get a VPN. Assuming they would even pursue it, they can have fun trying to prove you were in their state when you participated. They can't prevent you from doing something legal in another state just because you happen to live in their state which has a stupid law. Plus the invitational itself doesn't count since it is physically located in California.

OutlandishMatt
10-08-2015, 08:05 AM
It is illegal to participate for prizes IN the state where the law prevents it because they claim it is gambling. Solution: get a VPN. Assuming they would even pursue it, they can have fun trying to prove you were in their state when you participated. They can't prevent you from doing something legal in another state just because you happen to live in their state which has a stupid law. Plus the invitational itself doesn't count since it is physically located in California.

So that way the government can get you for fraud as well?