PDA

View Full Version : More than 4 players Rules

Morrellium
09-26-2015, 07:21 AM
Hello everyone!

With the game nearly in our hands, I was wondering what people's plans were for playing with more than 4 players?

CZE have said the game was designed for 4 players but as we all know the Kickstarter versions come with 5 additional characters. Making for a potential 9 player game! This was my thought:

Add an 3 extra ghosts from each of the basic classes for every player added. So 1 additional player = 3 Extra ghosts.

Two of the extra ghosts go in the spirit world and one of them goes on the board.

You could pick at random which ghost goes where or use the dice roll to determine which ghost goes on the board:

6 Die determines which class goes on the board class: 1-2 = Class 1, 3-4= Class 2, 5-6 Class 3.

8 Die determines the position on the board.

Use the gate on the upper left hand corner as the ghosts centre point. If there is no gate in that position at set up then proceed clockwise round the board to the next gate. Likewise for every additional ghost that needs to be added, keep going round the gates clockwise until all the ghosts have been added.

If there is already a ghost in the space rolled then place the ghost in an adjacent free space.

That was my idea, any others? Any thoughts?

Mataio_Wilson
09-28-2015, 04:37 PM
Hi Morrellium,

When we started unlocking the new Ghostbusters during the Kickstarter campaign, we also posted a solution to the "over 4 players" problem in the F.A.Q. section:

Is there a way to play the game with more than 4 Ghostbusters?
The game is designed and optimized for 1-4 players. We did add a set of variant rules for more than four Ghostbusters. The first player begins the game with the Event Die, which activates the gates that can summon Ghosts. After rolling it, you pass it three players clockwise. At the start of your turn, if you have the Event Die in front of you, roll it and then pass it. Now the Event Die will be rolled more often, which increases the difficulty to offset the extra Ghostbusters.

Existentially, you still end the round after 4 players have taken their turns. After the fourth player ends their turn, resolve any Ghost/Scenario specific actions, and then the fifth player starts the next round.

I like your addition of Ghosts to the game, and look forward to seeing your other innovations!

-Mataio Wilson
Lead Designer

Morrellium
09-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Hi Morrellium,

When we started unlocking the new Ghostbusters during the Kickstarter campaign, we also posted a solution to the "over 4 players" problem in the F.A.Q. section:

Is there a way to play the game with more than 4 Ghostbusters?
The game is designed and optimized for 1-4 players. We did add a set of variant rules for more than four Ghostbusters. The first player begins the game with the Event Die, which activates the gates that can summon Ghosts. After rolling it, you pass it three players clockwise. At the start of your turn, if you have the Event Die in front of you, roll it and then pass it. Now the Event Die will be rolled more often, which increases the difficulty to offset the extra Ghostbusters.

Existentially, you still end the round after 4 players have taken their turns. After the fourth player ends their turn, resolve any Ghost/Scenario specific actions, and then the fifth player starts the next round.

I like your addition of Ghosts to the game, and look forward to seeing your other innovations!

-Mataio Wilson
Lead Designer

Ah! Sorry Mataio. I forgot to look in the FAQ! Should've known you'd have that already sorted. Thanks for letting me know and I'm glad you liked my idea!

Werechicken
12-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Sorry, follow up question.

We play as multiple characters...so after 4 characters go, we should roll the event die, right?

Mataio_Wilson
12-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Sorry, follow up question.

We play as multiple characters...so after 4 characters go, we should roll the event die, right?

Perfect summary.

Mataio Wilson
Lead Design, Ghostbusters: The Board Game

Skyknight
12-15-2015, 04:33 AM
We played with 5 players and simply rolled the event die after everyones turn. We didn't want to have to keep track of who's the startplayer each turn. Would've made the game more complicated.

Werechicken
12-15-2015, 04:42 AM
5 is close to 4?

Tschanark
12-30-2015, 03:53 PM
5 is close to 4?

Seems to work kinda good with me. I played two campaigns with five characters and just skipped the extra event die rolling, and it all seemed nicey-nicey.

Werechicken
01-04-2016, 05:54 AM
I prefer to play with all 9.

Tschanark
01-05-2016, 04:31 AM
I prefer to play with all 9.

Cool. Doesn't the board get a little crowded then?

JayTigran
01-05-2016, 06:38 AM
Cool. Doesn't the board get a little crowded then?

The car certainly would haha

Brandon_the_Wut
01-05-2016, 06:41 AM
I kinda like how the Ecto-1 has a clown car feel to it when all nine Ghostbusters hop out. They gotta be glad to stretch their legs at that point.

JayTigran
01-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Ray: "Wow, both my legs are asleep."
Garret: "Yah, mine too."

sara.miguel
01-06-2016, 10:42 AM
I kinda like how the Ecto-1 has a clown car feel to it when all nine Ghostbusters hop out. They gotta be glad to stretch their legs at that point.

Having now ridden in an Ecto-1...if they didn't have anything in the back, it is entirely possible they can fit all 9 in there...

;)

Werechicken
01-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Yeah, but they gotta have the packs in the back.

Brandon_the_Wut
01-07-2016, 12:09 AM
Having now ridden in an Ecto-1...if they didn't have anything in the back, it is entirely possible they can fit all 9 in there...

;)

Did it have bench seating?

Tschanark
01-23-2016, 07:05 AM
Funny thing: We were 7 players with 1 Ghostbuster each last weekend, utilizing the "roll the Event Die after every fourth turn"-rule. I thought it would become REALLLY easy that way, and perhaps, as stated above, a little crowded. I was rather surprised that it was neither of the two. The degree of difficulty didn't change at all in my opinion, so the game played just like the day before when we were only 5 players.

Now I wondered if you can play with more characters by rolling the Event Die more often, is the same true for the opposite? Could you play with only two characters, like two players playing only one figure each and not having to put up with two figures each, rolling the Event Die only after both figures have acted twice?

The_Xavious
01-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Give it a shot! Just keep in mind bosses may require streams from 3 or more ghostbusters, but I think it'd be interesting to find out.

Tschanark
01-23-2016, 11:10 AM
keep in mind bosses may require streams from 3 or more ghostbusters, but I think it'd be interesting to find out.

Ah! Dang, you're right. So we'd need another house rule for that, or just play scenarios that don't involve such bosses as two-character variants..

BradBosshart
01-23-2016, 11:49 AM
I made Janine's Punch Bug, Ecto RV, Ecto 2 from the cartoon, and I made my friend's cars, too! I'm working on rules for variant Ecto-1's.

Crazy1van
01-27-2016, 09:29 PM
I made Janine's Punch Bug, Ecto RV, Ecto 2 from the cartoon, and I made my friend's cars, too! I'm working on rules for variant Ecto-1's.

I like the idea of having various options available for what vehicle to use, but I cannot imagine that having more than one vehicle in play at the same time would be fair, except in a VERSES game with rival teams competing for the same bust.

Thus far my efforts to play with variant vehicles has been reflected in the Abilities of the custom characters that use them, like the Filmation Ghostbusters and Mystery Inc.

Werechicken
01-28-2016, 05:25 AM
Yeah, unless you made the map twice as large, one vehicle per game.