PDA

View Full Version : Time to Evangelize Hex

Stok3d
09-26-2015, 08:26 AM
The $100,000 Tournament Announcement (https://www.hextcg.com/road-to-the-100000-tournament/) and imo the Growth Stunting Tactic from Hasbro (https://www.hextcg.com/press-release-settlement/) has also come to an end. The golden age of Hex is about to begin!!!

I've literally brought 1000s of account sign-ups to this game through threads on many of the largest online gaming sites, Youtube videos, Reddit postings, etc. I know others are sporting Hex TCG license plates, Streaming, adding in the $100,000 Tournament Announcement (https://www.hextcg.com/road-to-the-100000-tournament/) link into signatures on other sites, starting threads on other forums to get Hex into conversation, etc.

What further ideas do others have in mind? How are EACH OF YOU spreading the word about Hex? Feel free to share how you may have heard of this game and feel free to link threads regarding Hex on other gaming forums so we may help become involved!

Lets do the world a favor--let them know that Hex exists!!!

asdf2000
09-26-2015, 08:39 AM
I started a couple threads about it on teamliquid trying to pull people to it. But I think people are reluctant to leave the polish and history of some other games behind for a new game they are still a little unsure of. I know some people there are playing it, though.

AdamAoE2
09-26-2015, 08:47 AM
I've tried to get a few of my friends playing Hex, but they are not really into the competitive scene as much. I think the only thing that will get them to stay would be in-depth PvE.

Yuhan
09-26-2015, 09:28 AM
I've tried to get a few of my friends playing Hex, but they are not really into the competitive scene as much. I think the only thing that will get them to stay would be in-depth PvE.

Pretty much this. Hex is getting bigger which is great. However it needs a bit more to do...
I'm waiting for multi-player dungeons and raids before I can drag my old raiding friends in from WoW.

Barkam
09-26-2015, 09:45 AM

Agreed. Thankfully Cory understands this. The hand-holding PvE in WoW is what made it a household name.

WolfCrypt
09-26-2015, 12:18 PM
God how DID I run into this game? I frankly forgot I think I was just googling mmos at random... I got a few friends to join but not been able to play with them..

magic_gazz
09-26-2015, 05:09 PM
I wore my Hex T-Shirt to the MTG pre release yesterday and mentioned it to a few people. Think I may have convinced one guy who seemed pretty interested in the 100k event.

Mejis
09-26-2015, 05:45 PM
Worth noting that there's a thread about the lawsuit and hex currently on the front of r/games. Unfortunately some of the comments inside (albeit there aren't many) don't do a huge amount to advertise HEX in a "come play, it's amazing" light that we all want.

Thrawn
09-26-2015, 06:41 PM
Here's how spreading the word went to someone I know today -

"Hey! The Hex lawsuit got dropped!"

"Cool, is PvE in yet?"

"No"

"Don't care then."

Gorgol
09-26-2015, 08:27 PM
Here's how spreading the word went to someone I know today -

"Hey! The Hex lawsuit got dropped!"

"Cool, is PvE in yet?"

"No"

"Don't care then."

Goes about the same around here too.

Svenn
09-26-2015, 11:14 PM
Now is not the time to spread the word. As others have already pointed out... we don't have PvE yet. Too many people will join and leave due to a lack of actual f2p and then never look back. Recruiting people too early is actually harmful to the game, as once someone has made up their mind about a game it's very hard to get them to change it. Once we have the PvE in and going THEN we should start trying to recruit.

Elwinz
09-26-2015, 11:40 PM
I agree. I dont see myself evangalizing the game at this point either.
Because i would have to write to my freinds.
" Hey thares an cool promising TCG with awesome mechanics out there they will have dungeonds raids but maybe at the end of the year. ATM as a pve all you can do is boring to hell arena, new player epxirinice is pretty bad. Game is unintuitive, and if you talk on whispier with your freind your game might broke and UI stops working at all"

Game still needs a ton of work. The game does terrible at introducing new players. And Whisper bug is most retarded bug i have ever seen in my 15+ years of playing games and its stil there since months ..

magic_gazz
09-26-2015, 11:44 PM
You can always introduce people who are not obsessed with f2p stuff.

How about "There is this cool digital TCG, that's lots of fun and they have just announced a 100k tournament, this is just the start of something big."

Don't sell people on PvE, sell them on a digital TCG that is competitively priced, fun to play and is just starting to take steps in to competitive organised play.

Talk to people that don't mind spending $5 on a draft rather than those who want to have a draft for free.

pyrovoice
09-26-2015, 11:47 PM

How about "There is this cool digital TCG, that's lots of fun and they have just announced a 100k tournament, this is just the start of something big."

Don't sell people on PvE, sell them on a digital TCG that is competitively priced, fun to play and is just starting to take steps in to competitive organised play.

Talk to people that don't mind spending $5 on a draft rather than those who want to have a draft for free.

well friends I could talk to already have some other expenses (mtg for example); so they won't come unless they can taste it for free or almost nothing

poizonous
09-27-2015, 12:22 AM
well friends I could talk to already have some other expenses (mtg for example); so they won't come unless they can taste it for free or almost nothing

I refuse to believe that anyone who plays MtG can expect to play a TCG for free. People with a TCG background understand TCG means pay to compete and CCG means free to play

Selanius
09-27-2015, 12:33 AM
Now that the 100K tournament has specific details, I suspect a lot of my competitive Magic friends will be giving the game a serious look, ESPECIALLY with the lawsuit dropped.

Elwinz
09-27-2015, 12:49 AM
Yeah i have made a freind here who is veteran mtg player and came to hex some time ago when he heard about 100k tournamnet. However i havent seen him for a motnh and he has smoe of my cards ;p

spankydonkey
09-27-2015, 01:13 AM
A great PvE campaign first, then we can all shout it loud from the rooftops.

Elwinz
09-27-2015, 01:18 AM

Its not just pve content, game needs a lot of QOL improvments. Theres so many detils in the game which are confising even basics like warning about pve cards etc. So many new players got confused on this and to be fair its not done very wel.. Could point out many things but no reaosn to .
First impresion of HEx is realy not good.

pyrovoice
09-27-2015, 01:28 AM
I refuse to believe that anyone who plays MtG can expect to play a TCG for free. People with a TCG background understand TCG means pay to compete and CCG means free to play

You missed my point. It's not about what they should expect, or what is "normal", they just don't want to transfer X money from an activity into Hex without even knowing how good it is first. the free PvE compaign is what I'm waiting to spam my friends with invites

poizonous
09-27-2015, 01:34 AM
Did people buy mtg cards without knowing it was good? All you have to do is tell a mtg player "hey there's a cool digital tcg that has a bunch of magic qualities" mtg players don't need a pve experience, with a lesser than challenging ai. In my opinion that will scare people away more than a lack of pve

pyrovoice
09-27-2015, 04:18 AM
and since they already invested so much in magic, have good decks and everything, why would they switch games ? I switched because mtg became boring, but as long as it is not for them, the above is still true

WolfCrypt
09-27-2015, 05:17 AM
I frankly don't like magic cuz their no balance...

poizonous
09-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Most people in this game have invested more than a lot into mtg, hell i still have a thousand dollar legacy deck. Your point is invalid

Svenn
09-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Most people in this game have invested more than a lot into mtg, hell i still have a thousand dollar legacy deck. Your point is invalid

I would love to see the numbers to back that up. I'd bet that the majority of players here either have never played MTG, quit MTG LONG ago (I quit in the 90s), or play MTG very casually.

magic_gazz
09-27-2015, 10:45 AM
I would assume there are not that many, but there are a few of us who still have legacy decks worth over a thousand dollars. To be fair that is beside the point.

If someone is heavily invested financially in mtg, that is not a reason they cant play Hex. Just say "hey you like drafting? fancy drafting for half price? There is this game called Hex and you would pick it up in no time, plus you can play in your underpants on a client that doesn't look like it was built in the 90's"

Now if they are not into drafting it might be a harder sell, but there is often an answer. Maybe mention how nice people are and tell them to just come check out a couple of streams. Totally free and will give them a feel for things, they might even win a giveaway.

From my perspective I see only one reason you couldn't sell someone on Hex and that is time. If someone is heavily into another game time wise, they might not have time to fit in another game.

Stok3d
09-27-2015, 03:52 PM
I agree magic_gazz--and this is coming from someone who still owns his nm beta P9 along with all other beta playables x4. I still choose Hex as it's a simply superior game with an untouchable community ready to play online anytime I'm available...

funktion
09-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Funny you mention that magic_gazz. For the last week or two I've been prepping myself to sell off my mtg/mtgo collection. I knew I was never going back to the game and haven't touched it since about the time I heard about Hex KS, not that last week really changed anything for me personally but it definitely reinforces my decision to clean out my closet and sell those binders.

WolfCrypt
09-27-2015, 11:49 PM
From my perspective I see only one reason you couldn't sell someone on Hex and that is time. If someone is heavily into another game time wise, they might not have time to fit in another game.

Actually there is two. If like myself they love card gaming but aren't compititive and they like only the PVE and lore of an mmo(which tbh most skim lore) then you got a problem... "Hey Hex is this awesome epic fantasy but sadly the coolest idea is not out yet." So that is another thing you can't sell people on.. yet.

Graydeath
09-28-2015, 02:31 AM

A lot of my friends will try it when teher will be a real PVE

Ertzi
09-28-2015, 02:51 AM
Agreed with most of the people here. I have a list of people who I will contact as soon as PvE is ready. No use spreading the word yet, if you know your target audience is more PvE oriented. I tried getting a few people to HEX purely on the basis of PvP, but those attempts did not go very well. You just need to know who you are selling to. If you have a lot of competitive-mind players in your friend circle, by all means, now is a pretty good time to evangelize because of the impending 100k tournament.

AstaSyneri
09-28-2015, 03:27 AM

$CGs are never free, at least not the good ones. Just a note: Historically the difference between TCG and CCG is simply that WotC had patented the TCG - other companies simply had to find a different label for their brain child. Both are interchangeable.

Back to the OP's post: Yeah, it's the advent of true PvE and Raiding that will have me shouting Hex from the rooftops. With any luck by the end of the year...

poizonous
09-28-2015, 04:23 PM
I'm not arguing the fact that o
If you have PvE friends than you probably shouldn't sell them on game yet. My issue came from someone saying he wouldn't get his MtG buddies into this game until PvE is out. MtG players are a completely different demographic that should be more enticed by the 100k tourney than PvE