PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen page is up

GuruGuru214
10-11-2015, 04:06 AM
Looks like they're getting ahead of the game this time.

http://www.cryptozoic.com/dc-comics-deck-building-game-crossover-pack-4-watchmen

I normally don't really care for Watchmen, but I'm really excited for how this one's going to play.

StormKing
10-11-2015, 05:11 PM
Looks like they're getting ahead of the game this time.

http://www.cryptozoic.com/dc-comics-deck-building-game-crossover-pack-4-watchmen

I normally don't really care for Watchmen, but I'm really excited for how this one's going to play.

Hands down the best crossover pack.

SpiritDetective
10-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Are there Watchmen Supervillains in this Crossover Pack?

Matt_Hyra
10-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Are there Watchmen Supervillains in this Crossover Pack?

Look to your left. Now look to your right. One of these "teammates" may be the Super-Villain.

BenJazz
10-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Just to clarify then, this set does not come with Super-Villians for a stack (i.e. will use the normal S-V that came with the main sets)?

Matt_Hyra
10-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Just to clarify then, this set does not come with Super-Villians for a stack (i.e. will use the normal S-V that came with the main sets)?

I don't recall the Watchmen characters battling against Darkseid. More info when we are closer to the release...

BenJazz
10-12-2015, 01:12 PM
I don't recall the Watchmen characters battling against Darkseid. More info when we are closer to the release...

You mean you don't remember the great Watch-seid War of Earth 9? lol

It's all good. From what I am picking up this will be somewhat of a cooperative version of standard play (non-Crisis) which sounds wonderful. I have some friends in my group that don't like to play standard due to the (highly) competitive nature of the group. Unfortunately, that usually meant a lot of cool cards lost some fun effects (Crisis does have its downsides) but now it seems that could be resolved with this crossover. O Happy Day!

GuruGuru214
10-12-2015, 02:35 PM
My guess would be that the Challenges, etc. take the place of the Super-Villain deck, and the Hidden Roles are distributed with the oversized Super Heroes to determine the traitor. At this point, I'm interested to see if the Challenges/Mastermind Plots/Villainous Machinations are going to be their own stack with a currently unknown trigger, or if they're going to be shuffled into the Main Deck. My guess would be that they'll function similar to a Crisis stack, with certain triggers for clearing Challenges (taking the role of defeating the Super-Villain, though likely with a condition more like beating a Crisis), likely certain triggers for the Villainous Machinations that unleash some sort of attack (in place of a First Appearance), and some sort of escalation of the game if the Mastermind Plot is triggered (not unlike playing under a Crisis).

This is all a total shot in the dark, though. I really hadn't thought about it in that much detail before and made most of that up as I was typing it, so it'll be interesting to see how much I got right. As it is, I'm not even certain that "Hidden Roles", "Villainous Machinations", "Mastermind Plots", and "Challenges" are actual separate card types and not just buzz words referring to some sort of singular "challenge deck" or something that fills all those roles.

Also, it's interesting to note that the little bits of cards seen in the preview image would indicate that at least part of this set's mechanic involves the top card of each deck. It appears that Rorschach lets you play the top card of other players' decks, while what little I can see of Nite Owl and Silk Spectre looks like they'll be able to stack the tops of their decks.

Oh, and I noticed that the product page lists it as coming with a Rules Booklet, as opposed to the Rule Cards we had in the first three Crossovers. So that's neat.

aoineko
10-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Oh, and I noticed that the product page lists it as coming with a Rules Booklet, as opposed to the Rule Cards we had in the first three Crossovers. So that's neat.

There are a lot more new rules for this set. It needed more space.

GuruGuru214
10-12-2015, 03:45 PM
There are a lot more new rules for this set. It needed more space.

I figured as much. It sounds like it's going to be much more complex, in the best way.

StormKing
10-12-2015, 05:24 PM
While the new Oversized Heroes are compatible with every other set, the rest of the crossover pack makes an entirely original experience out of any of the Cerberus games. This is why I say it's hands down the best Crossover Pack, it's almost like a new game, you just need a Base set to pair it with.

Matt's explanation of the Super-Villain is the best example of what makes Watchmen so great. It has an incredible amount of replay value. Be excited for more details. :)

BenJazz
10-12-2015, 06:14 PM
Also, I saw the expected release date is Q4 2015... hopefully this will be available for Christmas?!?

kshock68
10-20-2015, 04:13 AM
While the new Oversized Heroes are compatible with every other set, the rest of the crossover pack makes an entirely original experience out of any of the Cerberus games. This is why I say it's hands down the best Crossover Pack, it's almost like a new game, you just need a Base set to pair it with.

Matt's explanation of the Super-Villain is the best example of what makes Watchmen so great. It has an incredible amount of replay value. Be excited for more details. :)

https://i.imgflip.com/114up.jpg

BenJazz
11-19-2015, 02:07 PM
So... with Watchmen out next month, when can we expect more details about the new mechanics and cards?

aoineko
11-19-2015, 03:13 PM
It's for sale at BGG con right now. Maybe someone will spoil some info from there. :)

StormKing
11-19-2015, 04:36 PM
Spoiler: I made the oversized heroes! :D

BenJazz
11-19-2015, 09:39 PM
You should start adding all your contributions in your signature... lets see how long that gets haha

MStreva89
11-20-2015, 06:39 AM
Well I basically fell off the face of the planet for the last few weeks, but I'm still waiting for Watchmen. Is there a release date specified yet?

Also, would love someone to spoil at least the Character cards from BGG.con, would be dope to get a glimpse of the concept of the new heroes.

StormKing
11-22-2015, 04:26 PM
You should start adding all your contributions in your signature... lets see how long that gets haha

Lol, it would be too long.

StormKing
11-22-2015, 04:32 PM
Well I basically fell off the face of the planet for the last few weeks, but I'm still waiting for Watchmen. Is there a release date specified yet?

Also, would love someone to spoil at least the Character cards from BGG.con, would be dope to get a glimpse of the concept of the new heroes.

I'll tell you one Oversized Hero's text.

Ozymandias
At the end of your turn, draw an extra card and then put one card from your hand on top of your deck.

If anyone else wants to share they can. :P

BenJazz
11-22-2015, 07:59 PM
I'll tell you one Oversized Hero's text.

Ozymandias
At the end of your turn, draw an extra card and then put one card from your hand on top of your deck.

If anyone else wants to share they can. :P

Oh the secrets!!! This set is going to be amazing!

Matt_Hyra
11-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Here's another card spoiler: YOU ARE LOYAL

StormKing
11-22-2015, 09:23 PM

I get that one every game.

GuruGuru214
11-23-2015, 12:34 AM
Any chance one of you wants to play fill in the spoiler?

Rorschach: Once during each of your turns, you may discard a card from your hand to play the top card of another player's deck and _____.

My money's on "and then return it," but you never know.

kshock68
11-23-2015, 06:52 AM

Rorschach: Once during each of your turns, you may discard a card from your hand to play the top card of another player's deck and _____.

You know stuff like this just makes them giggle like little kids? LOL

PooEater
11-23-2015, 09:58 AM
Picked it up early on day one of BGG.Con!! They only had, like, 20 for sale. Haven't had a chance to play it yet but it looks like it COMPLETELY changes how the game is played...can't wait to get it to the table.

BenJazz
11-23-2015, 10:57 AM
Picked it up early on day one of BGG.Con!! They only had, like, 20 for sale. Haven't had a chance to play it yet but it looks like it COMPLETELY changes how the game is played...can't wait to get it to the table.

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! THIS SET IS AMAZING! I wish I could find a way to get me hands on a copy... Hey Crypto, you sure you don't need any last minute play-tests or reviewers haha

Having one of these for the upcoming tournament in December (announcement coming in the next few days!) would be one of the best prizes to give out.

LexLuthorJr
11-23-2015, 12:24 PM
So can you buy Starters and Weaknesses with New York City?

Matt_Hyra
11-23-2015, 12:54 PM
So can you buy Starters and Weaknesses with New York City?

Yes. NYC lets you buy one card, any card, from the destroyed pile during each of your turns.

julio
11-23-2015, 02:58 PM
So I can buy a destroyed punch and pay nothing... Isn't it?

StormKing
11-23-2015, 04:00 PM

You would be correct.

Matt_Hyra
11-23-2015, 06:16 PM
So I can buy a destroyed punch and pay nothing... Isn't it?

Yes. The Secret Mastermind will thank you for your support.

aoineko
11-24-2015, 12:11 AM

Best spoiler ever. Matt Hyra is my hero.

DimeDrl
11-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Is there any chance the Watchmen crossover could go up for pre-order on the estore before Nov. 30 so people could buy it with the free shipping this weekend? I only ask because it's the only set I don't have for the DC DBG and its the only thing I'd pick up from the estore this weekend.

Matt_Hyra
11-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Is there any chance the Watchmen crossover could go up for pre-order on the estore before Nov. 30 so people could buy it with the free shipping this weekend? I only ask because it's the only set I don't have for the DC DBG and its the only thing I'd pick up from the estore this weekend.

The sale is on in-stock items only, so no.

N-Finite
11-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Is there an update for the Watchmen crossover pack release date?

Matt_Hyra
11-27-2015, 10:37 AM
December 23rd.

SpiritDetective
12-02-2015, 11:57 AM
December 23rd.

So the Watchmen crossover pack won't be visible on the e-store until December 23rd?

Matt_Hyra
12-02-2015, 03:05 PM
So the Watchmen crossover pack won't be visible on the e-store until December 23rd?

It will be up earlier than that for pre-orders. It will ship ahead of that date as well, as we are closed from the 24th to January 3rd.

SpiritDetective
12-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Good to know.

Will there be an announcement when it is available for pre-order on the e-store?

Matt_Hyra
12-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Perhaps not, but I'll see about mentioning it here.

BenJazz
12-14-2015, 09:50 PM
Pre-Order for Watchmen is up on the eStore.

Matt, should we be expecting a preview before the release date?

Matt_Hyra
12-15-2015, 11:41 AM
I will try to write something up.

Tamahome
12-15-2015, 05:03 PM

Preordered with the hopes of getting it early, think my shipping was more than the product. I love this game, HYPE

BenJazz
12-15-2015, 06:19 PM

Great. I spoke with some players at the tournament we hosted this past weekend and I think the question most are asking is how different this pack makes the play experience (especially when comparing it to Crisis). The traitor mechanic is a big draw but I think highlighting how the rest of the pack adjusts game-play would sort some of those concerns out.

New set rules are always tricky so I am glad you guys are so receptive on the forums. Thanks for all the great clarification and feedback.

unLimitedEnds
12-17-2015, 05:59 PM
If I pre-order will I receive it before Christmas? Or would it ship after the holidays?

Matt_Hyra
12-17-2015, 06:40 PM
They will be shipped on Monday the 21st from California, so there is a decent chance of getting it by the 24th.

Preview article will be posted on Friday the 18th.

unLimitedEnds
12-18-2015, 12:39 AM
Would any games stores have them in stock before Christmas by any chance? Or do you know anything about this?

Matt_Hyra
12-18-2015, 02:01 AM
Release date is the 23rd, so they will be out there.

kshock68
12-18-2015, 08:37 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/114up.jpg

Well, just made my pre-order. I requested a Bane over-sized super villain for FE as well because, well, it's Christmas and why the heck not? LOL

BenJazz
12-18-2015, 01:11 PM
http://cryptozoic.com/blogs/watchmen-crossover-pack-4-preview

It's up and chalked full of great info. Thanks to Crypto for getting this out before release.

GuruGuru214
12-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Well, that looks just as utterly amazing as I hoped it would.

LexLuthorJr
12-18-2015, 04:30 PM
Seems interesting. I'll definitely be picking it up.

kshock68
12-22-2015, 07:28 AM
If I pre-order will I receive it before Christmas? Or would it ship after the holidays?

The shipping confirmation on the my pre-order estimates a Christmas Eve delivery via USPS.

LexLuthorJr
12-24-2015, 06:07 AM
Picked up Watchmen yesterday! Looks awesome! Can't wait to try it!

kshock68
12-24-2015, 07:41 AM
Picked up Watchmen yesterday! Looks awesome! Can't wait to try it!

My pre-order copy arrived in the mail yesterday. We can't wait as well!

LexLuthorJr
12-24-2015, 08:48 AM
So does Duplication mean you play the card three times? And what does one do with Disintegration if you aren't playing the Watchmen scenario?

Matt_Hyra
12-24-2015, 11:35 AM
So does Duplication mean you play the card three times? And what does one do with Disintegration if you aren't playing the Watchmen scenario?

Yes on Duplication.
Disintegration won't do much if you aren't playing Watchmen style. Or ask another player if they are Loyal and see what they say...

GuruGuru214
01-09-2016, 04:56 AM
So now that I've seen a copy of the game, I thought it might be fun to see how accurate my guess was three months ago.

My guess would be that the Challenges, etc. take the place of the Super-Villain deck, and the Hidden Roles are distributed with the oversized Super Heroes to determine the traitor.

So far so good, other than the hidden roles being called Loyalty cards and the Mastermind Plots being passed out with them.

At this point, I'm interested to see if the Challenges/Mastermind Plots/Villainous Machinations are going to be their own stack with a currently unknown trigger, or if they're going to be shuffled into the Main Deck. My guess would be that they'll function similar to a Crisis stack, with certain triggers for clearing Challenges (taking the role of defeating the Super-Villain, though likely with a condition more like beating a Crisis), ... and some sort of escalation of the game if the Mastermind Plot is triggered (not unlike playing under a Crisis).

Pretty decent, though I misattributed the Crisis-like effect to the Mastermind Plot and not the Challenge, and totally missed the Mastermind Plot giving additional power to the traitor instead of directly punishing the loyal players. And in hindsight, the Challenges/Mastermind Plots/Villainous Machinations being one deck/stack sounds kind of silly. Probably had that idea tainted by my slight exposure to Marvel Legendary.

...likely certain triggers for the Villainous Machinations that unleash some sort of attack (in place of a First Appearance)...

Sort of. The First Appearance-type punishment is more attached to the Challenge conditions, though the Villainous Machinations do trigger a punishment in the form of the Mastermind Plot going into play.

This is all a total shot in the dark, though. I really hadn't thought about it in that much detail before and made most of that up as I was typing it, so it'll be interesting to see how much I got right.

Well, I was right about that part.

As it is, I'm not even certain that "Hidden Roles", "Villainous Machinations", "Mastermind Plots", and "Challenges" are actual separate card types and not just buzz words referring to some sort of singular "challenge deck" or something that fills all those roles.

To be fair, this really wasn't the way I was leaning at all. I just was acknowledging that I might be making bad assumptions, though Hidden Roles ended up being more the game mode, with the fourth deck being Loyalty in the released game.

Also, it's interesting to note that the little bits of cards seen in the preview image would indicate that at least part of this set's mechanic involves the top card of each deck. It appears that Rorschach lets you play the top card of other players' decks, while what little I can see of Nite Owl and Silk Spectre looks like they'll be able to stack the tops of their decks.

Well, I totally chased the wrong lead on that one. As much destruction as Watchmen has, the idea of playing it with Forever Evil is a bit terrifying.

Overall, I didn't do too bad. And even as close as I was, the finished product looks even better than I could've imagined. Can't wait to get to try it out later today!