PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on Aquaman's Trident and Solomon Grundy in Crisis Mode

OrionX93
11-02-2015, 02:43 AM
The Crisis mode states that when a Villain is bought or gained from the line up it is destroyed and when you "DEFEAT" a "SUPERVILLAIN" It is removed from play.

Now Aquaman's trident allows you to put "ANY ONE" card that you buy or gain to the top of your deck. Does this apply to Villains in the lineup and Super villians? Is there a set rule of defeating supervillains being different from gaining them because in the fist expansion as a standalone when you defeat a supervillain you gain them and they go to your discard pile. Wouldn't Aquaman's trident bypass this rule of Crisis Mode? Also solomon Grundy says when you buy or gain this villain it goes to the top of your deck. So how does this work?

Any Help would be appreciated and also really like all the games!!!!

gerrymul
11-02-2015, 02:37 PM
In Crisis, the regular villains are destroyed and go to the destroyed pile unless you are playing Black Canary, or the Crisis card that stipulates that villains are not destroyed is in play. Super Villains are removed from the game entirely in Crisis mode. Aquaman's Trident, Solomon Grundy, etc. do NOT supersede the destruction. The only other workaround I know of is the Indigo Tribe hero card that makes all villains heroes when you play it that turn. Again, however, this will not do anything about the Super Villains.

BenJazz
11-02-2015, 03:57 PM
Signature Trenchcoat and Black Lantern Power Ring can gain villains from the destroyed pile so that is another way you can get villains into your deck.

gerrymul
11-02-2015, 06:05 PM
Also, if you manage to have the Martian Manhunter hero card from the base set and use him on the Impossible Mode Hades you can pull villains out of the destroyed pile too.

OrionX93
11-02-2015, 08:15 PM
Yeah we planned for that in a game today but it didnt work seeing as we had to randomly choose the super villains and Hades was not in our game. WE STILL MANAGED TO FINALLY WIN FAIR AND SQUARE (weve been playing crisis mode wrongly by not following rules without clarification) Also I do not have the second crisis expansion so I am very interested in buying it now. But thanks for the help!!!!!

OrionX93
11-02-2015, 08:16 PM
In terms of the power ring in crisis mode... what happens if someone manages to pull the Kyle Raynor and 3 power ring combo do the players win the game?????

kshock68
11-02-2015, 09:05 PM
In terms of the power ring in crisis mode... what happens if someone manages to pull the Kyle Raynor and 3 power ring combo do the players win the game?????

The rules specifically state that Kyle Raynor's insta-win does not apply in Crisis mode.

BenJazz
11-03-2015, 08:40 AM
The rules specifically state that Kyle Raynor's insta-win does not apply in Crisis mode.

I always thought it would be hilarious to just have a player win with the combo and then leave the game.

"Well I beat Crisis mode... good luck surviving without me."

kshock68
11-04-2015, 04:18 AM
I always thought it would be hilarious to just have a player win with the combo and then leave the game.

"Well I beat Crisis mode... good luck surviving without me."

LOL! Indeed.

gerrymul
11-04-2015, 12:37 PM
You know what Cryptozoic need to do is make a Guy Gardner GL - he would totally do that.

Allete
11-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Anyone know if you play trident and are crisis black canary in set 1 crisis, if you can still put a villain you buy to the top of your deck, or Solomon grundy as well.

GuruGuru214
11-04-2015, 04:25 PM
Nope, Crisis Black Canary forces you to put any and all Villains on the bottom of your deck.

BenJazz
11-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Nope, Crisis Black Canary forces you to put any and all Villains on the bottom of your deck.

Clarification: Crisis Black Canary only effects villains bought or gained from the Line-Up. (I believe this is what you are saying but just wanted to avoid any other confusion)

OrionX93
11-05-2015, 12:18 AM
Has anyone ever found it funny or weird that the reverse flash/zoom are not villain cards... AT ALLL IN THE FIRST SET

Carthain
11-05-2015, 09:44 AM

Why wouldn't the use of the Trident override it to let you put it on top?

BenJazz
11-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Why wouldn't the use of the Trident override it to let you put it on top?

Because when you buy or gain the villain from the Line-Up it would normally be destroy but instead is placed on the bottom of your deck. The card is no longer in a visible zone and cannot be moved to the top of the deck with Trident. If Crisis Black Canary would have simply put the card into your discard pile, then you could have used Trident or Solomon's ability. Since Crisis Black Canary's ability is in place of destroying the villain from the Line-Up, there isn't the opportunity to use Trident before the villain is placed on the bottom of your deck.

Carthain
11-05-2015, 11:52 AM
But trident doesn't (I think, I don't have the card in front of me right now) move it from your discard to the top of your deck, it just lets you put it on top of your deck instead of in your discard (or, where you normally would put it from gaining the card.)

Or... am I mis-remembering the wording on the card?

Edit: Found the wording: "You may put any one card you buy or gain this turn on top of your deck."

Since it doesn't use the past tense, that would mean it applies to a card you buy/gain from that point on in the turn. And nothing says you move it from your discard to the top of your deck, so I see it as an alteration of how you normally gain the card -- instead of it going to your discard, it goes to the top of your deck.

So with Black Canary in Crisis -- instead of it going to the bottom of your deck, it instead goes to the top of your deck.

DIsForDoom
11-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Whenever you buy or gain a card it is immediately placed in your discard unless it is stated it goes to hand or you are Crisis Black Canary. In the cases where you get to place cards on the top of your deck (Flight Wings, Aquaman's Trident) it is a choice of the cards that are in your discard because they were bought or gained that turn. Crisis Black Canary places a stipulation on cards that causes them to bypass the discard pile entirely. This being the ways that the cards interact there is no way to use a card to place a villain purchased by Crisis Black Canary on top of your deck. I mean there might be other ways such as getting one to hand and then placing it back on top with another card but I think that's entirely different from what we were looking at.

As well if I'm wrong on any of it please feel free to let me know.

Carthain
11-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Whenever you buy or gain a card it is immediately placed in your discard unless it is stated it goes to hand or you are Crisis Black Canary.

So why can cards like Solomon Grundy or the Crisis Black Canary alter where the card goes to, but not Aquaman's Trident? Where's the difference between them that you are considering that I'm not seeing?

gerrymul
11-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Grundy specifically states you may place him on top your deck when you gain him, but does not work in Crisis mode. He gets destroyed - no circumvention of the Crisis rules. Crisis Black Canary oversize hero specifically works around the destruction rule of Crisis play and forces the cards to be placed on the bottom of the player's deck instead of being destroyed. The only time you could use Trident to effect in Crisis mode is when you play Indigo Tribe making villains in the line up heroes (thus avoiding the destruction rule in Crisis), when the specific crisis that states that villains bought or gained are not destroyed until the crisis is beaten, or by gaining one from the destroyed pile. This is paraphrasing rulings from the creators.

Carthain
11-06-2015, 07:56 AM
This is paraphrasing rulings from the creators.
Do you have a link I could go check out?

I agree that Grundy doesn't work in Crisis mode -- the rules of the mode change it so instead of gaining the card, it gets destroyed instead of being gained -- so putting it to the top of your deck when you gain it never happens.

But any normal card that you gain, with the Trident, wouldn't go to your discard pile and then to the top of your deck -- just straight to the top of your deck. So why can't it adjust it with Black Canary in Crisis?

Or.... If you can show me where someone has said that when you use the Trident's ability on a card you are gaining, that it still goes to the discard pile.

kshock68
11-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Do you have a link I could go check out?

I agree that Grundy doesn't work in Crisis mode -- the rules of the mode change it so instead of gaining the card, it gets destroyed instead of being gained -- so putting it to the top of your deck when you gain it never happens.

But any normal card that you gain, with the Trident, wouldn't go to your discard pile and then to the top of your deck -- just straight to the top of your deck. So why can't it adjust it with Black Canary in Crisis?

Or.... If you can show me where someone has said that when you use the Trident's ability on a card you are gaining, that it still goes to the discard pile.

Pose your question here:Specific Card Rulings and Clarifications, part III (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=44329)

I'm sure one off the game designers will give you the proper card ruling.