PDA

View Full Version : Style Points - Spirit Dance

Shaqattaq
11-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the latest installment of “Style Points,” an article for the creative deck builder. Here we take the underused cards in your collection and give them a place in the spotlight. I can’t promise that these decks will sweep away the metagame, but hopefully they will sweep you off your feet and give you something interesting to think about. Last time we talked about doubling your fun with Doppelgadget. Today we will look at putting some boogie in your woogie and make the most out of Spirit Dance.

So without further ado, let’s look at your collection differently.

https://www.hextcg.com/style-points-spirit-dance/

thegreybetween
11-02-2015, 12:44 PM
I just wanted to say that I really enjoy the "Style Points" column and I hope to see it continue for many new installments. It is a real pleasure to unlock the potential of overlooked cards, and I think Dino is doing a great thing with these 4Keeps builds and the insights he shares from the results. Good stuff!

I've dabbled with a few Spirit Dance decks myself, and I definitely agree with your assessment of the "what does it need to do?" conundrum that makes it so lackluster without a proper setup. I'm still trying to build a good mono-Wild version that doesn't need Sapphire's draw machine to get it going. We're not quite there yet at Set 3, but each set makes it a little closer to functional.

Anyway, thanks again and keep up the good work!

vulture27
11-02-2015, 01:10 PM
I'd probably consider a 1x Pack Raptor instead of the Cosmic Totem.

Seems to me it solves a few potentials issues instead of just one.
1. Can't kill yourself from too much draw.
2. Gives you potentially huge troops to go over the top of your opponent (removing the needs for onslaught / etc).
3. Gives you the chance to go super-wide on an opponent with an Augur ripping troops from your deck.
4. Doesn't put shards or ramp cards back in your deck that you really don't want.

I would be interested in testing Carnasaurus in the Brown Fox Scout slots. Fox seems better early on with the chance of it being on top of the deck / being a free card. Carnasaurus seems much better after being hit by Spirit Dance. 4/4 kills a lot of the evasion threats in constructed that the deck has basically only Crocosaur against - Angel, both Vampires, Dreamwalker, Eldritch Dreamer, Phoenix, etc.

I tried a similar deck at one point using Ancestor's Chosen - obviously a Specter that costs zero after Spirit Dance, has evasion, and draws you a card is amazing. Only problem is it was painfully slow to get going before the engine took over.

mttgamer
11-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Great article,
I really love reading these combo based decks.

Can I make a suggestion? Can you go into what PvE equipment you would suggest using for your decks? Or highlight them at least, i know not many choices need to be made in terms of equipment yet, but it'd be cool to see what's out there for that next step!

Also i found an error in the deck list: "4 Moon" on one line and "Ariu Sensei" on another im guessing it's the stupid apostrophe? it bugs out the card previewer.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

QuartZ
11-02-2015, 05:01 PM
Great article,

Can I make a suggestion? Can you go into what PvE equipment you would suggest using for your decks? Or highlight them at least, i know not many choices need to be made in terms of equipment yet, but it'd be cool to see what's out there for that next step!

Also i found an error in the deck list: "4 Moon" on one line and "Ariu Sensei" on another im guessing it's the stupid apostrophe? it bugs out the card previewer.

Spirit Dance has an equip that makes it cost 3, clearly a must include.
Also, Wild Root Dancer has an equip that allow you to drop more than 1 resource per turn, turning him into a better Nayad ;D

Dinotropia
11-02-2015, 05:37 PM
I'd probably consider a 1x Pack Raptor instead of the Cosmic Totem.

Seems to me it solves a few potentials issues instead of just one.
1. Can't kill yourself from too much draw.
2. Gives you potentially huge troops to go over the top of your opponent (removing the needs for onslaught / etc).
3. Gives you the chance to go super-wide on an opponent with an Augur ripping troops from your deck.
4. Doesn't put shards or ramp cards back in your deck that you really don't want.

I would be interested in testing Carnasaurus in the Brown Fox Scout slots. Fox seems better early on with the chance of it being on top of the deck / being a free card. Carnasaurus seems much better after being hit by Spirit Dance. 4/4 kills a lot of the evasion threats in constructed that the deck has basically only Crocosaur against - Angel, both Vampires, Dreamwalker, Eldritch Dreamer, Phoenix, etc.

I tried a similar deck at one point using Ancestor's Chosen - obviously a Specter that costs zero after Spirit Dance, has evasion, and draws you a card is amazing. Only problem is it was painfully slow to get going before the engine took over.

I love the Pack Raptor idea. +1000. I have been looking for a deck that can use him effectively. I never really considered him as a one off, but this might just be the deck to do it.

Carnasaurus is definitely worth considering. I used a number of Coyotle purely for the theme. Brown Fox also gives the "draw off the top" mechanic that gives the deck that dancing feel. However, I totally buy that a couple of Carnasaurus could make the deck have more presence. Maybe do a 2 and 2 split?

Dinotropia
11-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Great article,

Hey, thanks for the feedback! I will definitely keep the PvE side of things in mind. Most of my deckbuilding has been focused on PvP, but many of these decks could be a ton of fun in arena.

In the mean time, I challenge you to look at the deck--its win conditions and enablers--and ask yourself what would make it better? Fiddle, tweak, and break the deck! Much of deckbuilding is trial and error. I bet you could find something awesome to run with just a little bit of work.

Sethanon
11-08-2015, 09:51 AM
Here is my take at the same theme of the deck that is adjusted for PvE. I really like spirit dance and had several other variants before, but this one is most fun to play. Based on testing perfect runs should be no problem, but some minor tweaks are probably in place. Hope you like it!

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=39020

The deck wins by ramping up super fast and either playing spirit dance making all your troops big and free or swarming your opponent with a huge raptor pack after Fuzzuko (you can do some funny stuff with card cycling and Pack raptor equipment ;) All the other cards are just enabling cycling through your deck as fast as possible with exceptions of Crocosaurs (only removal) and Windsinger (OP after spirit dance).

Don't forget to enable your pre draw phase to cycle those pesky cards with Dreamsmoke mystic and playing Brown fox scouts before the draw giving you additional card for free.