PDA

View Full Version : Late Developments - Spiderling Egg

Shaqattaq
11-09-2015, 11:22 AM
Hi there, HEX fans. My name is Matt Dunn, one of the designers here working on HEX, and the lead designer of Armies of Myth. One thing that we’ve seen players express interest in seeing is a look at the evolution of a mechanic between its conception and its eventual release into the world. After all, one of the keys to good design is iteration, and it’s not unusual for a mechanic to go through several rounds of tweaking and testing as we slowly refine it, honing in on the parts that are fun and cutting away at the parts that are not. Now that Armies of Myth has been out for a while, we thought it’d be nice to take a look at how one if its mechanics came to be. As such, it’s now my pleasure to bring you the story of the signature tool of the Vennen: Spiderling Egg.

https://www.hextcg.com/late-developments/

Aradon
11-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Great article! This type of series could easily be my favorite, even hedging out PvE articles (though, design articles ABOUT PvE would have to take the cake!). I was very surprised to hear the Azure Fang was a late development. I had thought it was part of the Vennen design from Set 1, so good job on foreshadowing!

sukebe
11-09-2015, 01:10 PM
very nice, thank you for writing it Matt Dunn :-)

The poison mechanic sounds fun as well but I agree that the spiders fit the theme much better.

funktion
11-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Thanks a ton Matt for putting this article together. Been awhile since we had something like this and this is totally the type of thing that I love to read.

Thanks!

Kami
11-09-2015, 01:40 PM
I absolutely adore these types of articles. Nice read!

Vorsa
11-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the insightful read; very glad the team made that final leap from 1 damage to 1/1 unblockables - far more interactive, and terrifying!

bootlace
11-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Everything from the flavor to the gameplay execution was top notch with the Spiderling eggs and it was really interesting to hear how this innovative mechanic came to be. Thank you!

Mejis
11-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Brilliant brilliant article, hope we get to see more along these lines.
Fascinating design process, really appreciate the insight.

Poison v cool too!

Dinotropia
11-09-2015, 04:38 PM
An excellent read! I have said it before and I will say it again, the HEX team does a really good job matching mechanics and thematic feel. Spider Eggs are a perfect example of this. Thanks so much for taking the time to show us how the magic happens :D

Barkam
11-09-2015, 05:12 PM
These articles are phenomenal. I look forward to more! :)

Yoss
11-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Ditto what everyone else said. Great article!

Timlagor
11-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Looking forward to a way to purge these cards from the deck or turn them into assets

Thepsis
11-10-2015, 03:52 AM
:)
spiderling soup -> remove all spiderling eggs from your deck and gain 1 life for each

NemesiN
11-10-2015, 12:25 PM
"Choose 3 cards at random from target players deck. For each non-shard card selected, void that card and each copy of that card in that players deck."

Yoss
11-10-2015, 12:34 PM
"Choose 3 cards at random from target players deck. For each non-shard card selected, void that card and each copy of that card in that players deck."

Is that supposed to help with bane cards? It wouldn't.

WolfCrypt
11-10-2015, 05:22 PM

That could very easily target your 4 Blood Bearers or Profane Ritialist or any card that could help in mowing down any spiderlings you've unwittingly summoned.