PDA

View Full Version : Gameforge now Publisher for HEX in North America

Shaqattaq
11-09-2015, 03:00 PM
What will change in general?

The team at Gameforge will be the ones providing and administering your HEX account in the future. Otherwise there won't be much of a change for you, since we've already been working closely with HEX Entertainment as a co-publisher, and most things will remain as they were.

This clearer definition of responsibilities between game development and publishing will allow both companies, Gameforge and HEX Entertainment alike, to concentrate on their strengths.

We're really looking forward to continuing our work together with HEX Entertainment, and to doing everything in our power to make HEX the best game it can be.

https://www.hextcg.com/gameforge-now-publisher-for-hex-in-north-america/

hammer
11-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Hmm I guess we wait for the t&c's such as will the ks grandfather clause remain? I've been impressed with gameforge but I hate change in general :p

Kami
11-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way but I admit I don't fully understand the implications of why this is happening. I thought HEX was entirely digital, as such I don't understand why a separate publisher is required.

Also, does this mean HEX is now owned by Gameforge? (Again, apologies if I misunderstand how the publisher/develeoper system works).

Will there be any changes to the game such as micro-transactions, paywalls, advertisements, and other undesirables if Gameforge wishes it? (i.e. who has final say on what goes into the game?)

If players are dissatisfied with the new Privacy Policy and ToS, would they have any recourse short of having their account (and value) deleted?

I personally don't think anything untoward will happen and surprise us but this is rather sudden (at least to the community) and unexpected.

OutlandishMatt
11-09-2015, 03:44 PM
I almost feel like a shareholder finding out the company has been sold to the highest bidder and I am worried about my investment.

My main concern is this:

One slight change that needs to take place is that your previous contractual relationship with HEX Entertainment, LLC. will expire.

Uh, why does it not say Gameforge will take ownership of the contract? I don't like the word, "expire."

Zophie
11-09-2015, 04:09 PM
So does this mean that we'll be forced to use the Gameforge version of the client launcher in the future?

Also does this mean our forums will be moved to the Gameforge forums?

magic_gazz
11-09-2015, 04:16 PM
The article is pretty careful to tell us nothing at all.

If nothing changed then there would be no reason for there to be a change. As there has been a change, some things must be changing and people would like to know what they are.

How do Gameforge feel about their partner G2A selling codes to players that don't work? Do they feel that partnering with such sites as this promotes a good look for Hex? (I don't care that its a "marketplace", the word partnered makes people more trusting and makes them feel it is official and affiliated with Hex)

Also on a similar note, Cory said he wanted our collections to maintain value, some of us feel that discount codes do not do that. Seeing as gameforge is now basically in charge can we expect more epins and such that devalue our collections?

N3rd4Christ
11-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Can I start to panic?

Userrr_Friendly
11-09-2015, 04:26 PM
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/everybody-panic-and-run-around-sceaming.png

N3rd4Christ
11-09-2015, 04:32 PM
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/everybody-panic-and-run-around-sceaming.png

Deleted accounts after 6 months? What kind of communism is this?

plaguedealer
11-09-2015, 04:42 PM
Deleted accounts after 6 months? What kind of communism is this?

This probably needs to be clarified the most. Do you have to actively decline the tos in order to get your account wiped after 6 months. I cant imagine a kickstarter who never brings up the client in the next seven months has their account wiped. I will be telling my bros to redownload and accept the new tos however.

Publishers usually deal with the marketing and distribution aspect of games. They might also have a say on the store and what you can buy with plat.

Kurposkano
11-09-2015, 04:50 PM
Also on a similar note, Cory said he wanted our collections to maintain value, some of us feel that discount codes do not do that. Seeing as gameforge is now basically in charge can we expect more epins and such that devalue our collections?

I was actually thinking the opposite, that this would allow them to stop allowing using EU e-pins from US.

Userrr_Friendly
11-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Comrade Nerd I am as freaked out as you are.

ryuukan
11-09-2015, 05:09 PM
I wish Cory, Shaq and Phenteo the best on their future endeavors

DreamPuppet
11-09-2015, 05:18 PM
Basically sounds like the people we love and supported will just be making the content and that gameforge will be doing whatever they want with said content and nothing will be safe including the passed promises and assurances of the now developer.

Add me to the scared people column.

N3rd4Christ
11-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Comrade Nerd I am as freaked out as you are.

Can we get something from the higher ups.... Please?

ryuukan
11-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Can we get something from the higher ups.... Please?

Cory is pretty busy with his new startup https://twitter.com/coryhudsonjones/status/663494941755084801

Aradon
11-09-2015, 05:31 PM
This is very out-of-nowhere for an announcement like this, and I agree that the article posted says very little at all. For a digital game, what responsibilities lie with the publishers? What privileges? Does Cory still have the 'Final Say' he assured us of way back when they first started partnering with Gameforge?

Hex has made a lot of great decisions since they started development, so I expect their care to continue, but there are definitely a lot of questions that need to be answered here. I'll await the explanation that follows to see what the developers actually have to say on the matter.

OutlandishMatt
11-09-2015, 05:35 PM
All players must accept the new Terms and Conditions of Use in order to continue playing HEX: Shards of Fate after May 10th, 2016. If you decline or do not accept the new Terms and Conditions of Use you will also no longer be able to use the web shop. In this case your account and details will be permanently deleted after 6 months.

1. What the hell is in the Terms and Conditions that is so severe that I agree to it that my account gets deleted in 6 months if I don't?
2. Why are any accounts being deleted?! I've never once heard of MMOs deleting accounts. Most MMOs will have a culling where they get character names back from ones that have been inactive for X months but never a deletion.
3. So, if I don't agree with the terms, I can't just let my account sit until I do agree with the terms?
4. Do we all need to head to the Gameforge forums to plea for changes to the game?
5. What, if any, changes does this have for game development and implementation?
6. Does Cory still have creative control?
7. Is this more like an Activision Blizzard situation where Blizzard promises there won't be any changes but then immediately starts selling everything in the digital store, nickle and diming us to death for new content.

This is one of those situations where I feel helpless about what has taken place and assume the worst. You know, like when your Mom comes home saying she bought you a pair of Nike shoes and the swoosh symbol is upside down, displaying the horrible knock off version that it is.

05K4R
11-09-2015, 05:41 PM
I just skimmed through the update, but I agree that everything in this thread is a valid concern right now. We need clarification.

nicosharp
11-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Geez, you go to great lengths to get us losers off your forums :)
GL guys, and focus on the game, let the minions do the grunt work.

whiteyzz
11-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Just get through the Wizards of the coast shit, for another thing to pop up where we get 0 information. Letting game forge control the cash shop would be disastrous. There isn't a single game where I approve of their cash shops... heck I know people who will say nope to a game because they see that logo, they've manage to ruin the communities for Runes of magic and Tera to the point they're pretty much dead games.

They'll nickle and dime their community til everyone leaves and it's pretty much a soulless husk. Look at game forges version of Tera/Runes of Magic/Aion. unicornpoop with them I would expect our booster packs to go up to 5$ and with a 5% chance of getting a rare and a 0.001% of getting an Legendary with their practices.

If they only advertise and profit = 0 problems

If they control the events/cash shop/game, expect Set 5 to have 1 cost no resource ultra promo legendary super duper rares for 550$ that do 10 damage to every opponent and everything on the field kinda stupid.

Edit: With cory's response, that's good to hear but if they suggest that card above and force you to make it I want royalties!

Fleckenwhatever
11-09-2015, 06:16 PM
Let me try this.

What does this mean, for players, in practical, real, tangible terms, rather than nebulous publisher/developer/ToC/user relationships?

Cory_Jones
11-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Hello Cory here, Just want to come in and clarify some of the points you've brought up. The thing that everyone should take away from this is that very, very little is going to change. Gameforge has been providing these services for two years already. They already take care of customer service. They also do an incredible amount to make sure HEX is great and will continue to do so, we are genuinely VERY happy with Gameforge and our partnership. A lot of what they do as a publisher isn't immediately noticeable like making sure the game is up and has proper hardware and providing an awesome PR and marketing team designed to bring more people into the game. They're not things you touch day to day when shuffling up your deck, but they are critical to HEX's success and always have been.

The one thing that players will notice is that not much is said in that there's not much to say. Things will remain the same. That's basically what's happening here. We went out with this news before the patch brought the new Terms of Service because we wanted our teams here in CA to be awake and address any concerns. To be clear, HEX Entertainment and HEX: Shards of Fate remain as it was before this announcement, we were not bought as I have seen mentioned in these comments. Seriously, nothing has changed.

I don't know why a player would find the new Terms of Service different as to not want to agree to it, but if you do not agree to the Terms of Service then you won't be able to play HEX just like any other video game. There's nothing different there. The reason it says "expire" is because your agreement will no longer be with us. There's nothing obfuscated there. This is basically the one significant change players will experience, and even at that it’s very small. One of the benefits of a German publisher is the incredibly strong privacy protections that German law provides consumers, that’s where the 6 months comes from, Consumer info (if they do not authorize its use by signing the Terms of Service) must be deleted after 6 months.

I understand that there’s a trend to run away with these things and to let one’s imagination start to run with misunderstandings or things perceived unclear. For HEX players, you’re going to play this game just as you have before.

Cory Jones

KingGabriel
11-09-2015, 06:21 PM
How do Gameforge feel about their partner G2A selling codes to players that don't work? Do they feel that partnering with such sites as this promotes a good look for Hex? (I don't care that its a "marketplace", the word partnered makes people more trusting and makes them feel it is official and affiliated with Hex)

For the 5000th time, just because G2A claim to be in partnership with everyone under the sun does not make it so.

Yoss
11-09-2015, 06:27 PM
Thanks for stopping in, Cory. It's great to hear that this change should be transparent to us. One thing you said still worries me:

One of the benefits of a German publisher is the incredibly strong privacy protections that German law provides consumers, that’s where the 6 months comes from, Consumer info (if they do not authorize its use by signing the Terms of Service) must be deleted after 6 months.

So, if I had to go on leave for 7 months, I would come back to find that my Hex account and all the money and time I'd spent on it are gone forever? If so, is there some check box somewhere that I can say "please do not delete this account unless I explicitly ask you to"?

Gwaer
11-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks for taking the time to put people at ease Cory. =)

Once you agree to the terms you're asking them to keep your account safe. I do worry that many people who are taking a vacation from hex right now might come back with their accounts gone forever though =/ that seems like a very real possibility.

ryuukan
11-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Cory please tell me Emojizz is still a thing for you

Shaqattaq
11-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Thanks for stopping in, Cory. It's great to hear that this change should be transparent to us. One thing you said still worries me:

So, if I had to go on leave for 7 months, I would come back to find that my Hex account and all the money and time I'd spent on it are gone forever? If so, is there some check box somewhere that I can say "please do not delete this account unless I explicitly ask you to"?

You only have to agree to it once. After that, you've agreed to be a player and your account would continue to exist.

whiteyzz
11-09-2015, 06:37 PM
The only problem I can see is people are mostly waiting for PVE, but if that comes this year we're safe. But I know my friends are only coming back when multiplayer/raiding comes in.

Yoss
11-09-2015, 06:42 PM
You only have to agree to it once. After that, you've agreed to be a player and your account would continue to exist.

OK, so it's a one time risk for anyone playing right now. The bridge across from HXE-based account to GF-based will eventually burn, but as long as you cross it before the burning, you're forever safe from that particular chasm. Thanks for the clarification. :)

DreamPuppet
11-09-2015, 06:50 PM
The only problem I can see is people are mostly waiting for PVE, but if that comes this year we're safe. But I know my friends are only coming back when multiplayer/raiding comes in.

I have a friend like that too. Kickstarted a $120 king tier, never installed the game and told me to let them know when the real PVE and group raids were out.

Also this won't be a 1 time thing, you'll have 6 months every time there is a patch or change the TOS agreement.

It's no big deal, unless something happens and your in a coma or otherwise occupied for 6 months which will result in loss of everything.

Gwaer
11-09-2015, 06:57 PM
Well, if he never used the code/made an account then this doesn't really affect him in any way.

Thrawn
11-09-2015, 07:17 PM
So to be clear, Cory is still the head honcho of all things Hex and Gameforge does not have the ability to force a change he isn't ok with? If Gameforge decides Hex will start using micro transactions, daily quests and will edit released PVP cards for balance Cory can just tell them no and that's the end of it?

As long as that's the case I don't know if I see anything to get worked up over since personally I already thought Gameforge was the publisher. :p

Svenn
11-09-2015, 07:34 PM
So to be clear, Cory is still the head honcho of all things Hex and Gameforge does not have the ability to force a change he isn't ok with? If Gameforge decides Hex will start using micro transactions, daily quests and will edit released PVP cards for balance Cory can just tell them no and that's the end of it?

As long as that's the case I don't know if I see anything to get worked up over since personally I already thought Gameforge was the publisher. :p

Yeah, weren't they already the NA/EU publisher? I'm confused by this.

plaguedealer
11-09-2015, 08:16 PM
Yeah, weren't they already the NA/EU publisher? I'm confused by this.

I am thinking they need people to sign off on the toc for them to be official publisher. They probably have been the publisher for a very long time except contractually.

Lafoote
11-09-2015, 08:20 PM
I'm relatively unconcerned. Gameforge needs Hex to be successful or the moneytrain goes off the rails. Besides, they can't do any worse a job than Funcom and I played a few of their games.

McCloud68
11-09-2015, 08:58 PM
From what Cory has said when he stepped in to clear som ethings up is that Gameforge will now be responsible for whether the servers are up or down. I would like this clarified, because as has been stated, they are in Germany and would have little to no control over what happens server wise if servers reamin in California. I suspect the servers are moving to Germany.

Svenn
11-09-2015, 09:03 PM
From what Cory has said when he stepped in to clear som ethings up is that Gameforge will now be responsible for whether the servers are up or down. I would like this clarified, because as has been stated, they are in Germany and would have little to no control over what happens server wise if servers reamin in California. I suspect the servers are moving to Germany.

GameForge has always been running the servers. The servers aren't at HexEnt in CA...

Gwaer
11-09-2015, 09:04 PM
GameForge has always been running the servers. The servers aren't at HexEnt in CA...

^ Gameforge has been running most of the stuff for a long time.

KingxOfxThexVoid
11-09-2015, 09:06 PM
I want a permanent agree tos button ;)
Just in case im gone for more then 6 months for whatever reason

Svenn
11-09-2015, 09:07 PM
I want a permanent agree tos button ;)
Just in case im gone for more then 6 months for whatever reason

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=46539&p=535888&viewfull=1#post535888

KingxOfxThexVoid
11-09-2015, 09:46 PM
Oke thats cool

Thepsis
11-10-2015, 03:49 AM
i wonder if this is also a step gameforge has to take because of eu safe harbor law ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Safe_Harbor_Privacy_Principles ) revised couple of months ago.

if hex continues as publisher for hex in NA they have to obey european data laws ( like not exporting user data from europeans to the usa )

Difficult to handle the separation of user data and still keep the one garden.

If you put all in Gameforges hands they can just host all in EU and hex does not get the user data which makes it a lot easier to handle.

Warrender
11-10-2015, 06:30 AM
For the 5000th time, just because G2A claim to be in partnership with everyone under the sun does not make it so.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=46507&p=535932&viewfull=1#post535932

redle
11-10-2015, 07:19 AM
I think we are all missing this. On WOW we pay a monthly fee! Not so on Hex. I think they are setting it up so when the PVE/MMO go's live they can have us pay by the month.

I am hoping that we now get the PVE we have been waiting for.

Xenavire
11-10-2015, 07:31 AM
I think we are all missing this. On WOW we pay a monthly fee! Not so on Hex. I think they are setting it up so when the PVE/MMO go's live they can have us pay by the month.

I am hoping that we now get the PVE we have been waiting for.

Yeah, I am pretty sure this isn't happening. If there was going to be any kind of pay to play model in place for PvE, we would have been told. Plus the idea is completely at odds with everything Cory has ever said about PvE.

Erukk
11-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Basically, what I got out of this was now that the threat of lawsuit has pass, Gameforge is having Hex drop the sacrificial Hex LLC (which they only made as a form of protection) so they can "officially" take the reins. Nothing is really changing other than business jargon and them dropping the corporate decoy.

KingGabriel
11-10-2015, 07:20 PM
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=46507&p=535932&viewfull=1#post535932
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=46507&page=2&p=536134&viewfull=1#post536134

OutlandishMatt
11-10-2015, 10:01 PM

Are all users of Hex going to receive an e-mail about this Terms of Service change and informed that if they do not accept them and log in that their accounts will be deleted? Just curious how someone that signed up months ago, invested money into the game, and quit, can find out about this before it happens.

An example:

Joey signs up for Hex when he hears about Frost Ring Arena coming out. Joey plays for a few months, buys a couple hundred dollars worth of packs but gets bored and quits. Joey buys a new PC and doesn't install Hex. Joey hears that they've finally introduced guild features in Hex in the winter of 2016 and wants to be a part of that. Joey downloads and attempts to log into Hex but the game does not recognize his login credentials because it's been deleted because he didn't agree to the ToS or sign in within 6 months.

What can Joey do? Is it Joey's responsibility to stay up to date with everything Hex related? Is it Gameforge's responsibility to make sure Joey is aware of what is happening with his account?

hammer
11-11-2015, 05:51 AM
Are all users of Hex going to receive an e-mail about this Terms of Service change and informed that if they do not accept them and log in that their accounts will be deleted? Just curious how someone that signed up months ago, invested money into the game, and quit, can find out about this before it happens.

An example:

Joey signs up for Hex when he hears about Frost Ring Arena coming out. Joey plays for a few months, buys a couple hundred dollars worth of packs but gets bored and quits. Joey buys a new PC and doesn't install Hex. Joey hears that they've finally introduced guild features in Hex in the winter of 2016 and wants to be a part of that. Joey downloads and attempts to log into Hex but the game does not recognize his login credentials because it's been deleted because he didn't agree to the ToS or sign in within 6 months.

What can Joey do? Is it Joey's responsibility to stay up to date with everything Hex related? Is it Gameforge's responsibility to make sure Joey is aware of what is happening with his account?

Joey can QQ.

Badmoonz
11-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Joey can QQ.

That seems like a pretty foolish oversight to me. A part of what keeps collection card base games going is people returning after a months or years of downtime. Potentially learning some portions of their collection are now worth more, or try out an old trick.

Yoss
11-11-2015, 10:00 AM
As mach01 said over on reddit, the generic GF ToS leaves open the possibility for a game-specific set of Rules. Therefore HXE ought to step in and provide GF with the clarifications and exceptions that should apply to Hex.

1. Multi-account grandfather clause
2. "We will never delete your account without fair warning" clause
3. Soften, to the extent legally possible, RMT restrictions

Silvanos
11-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Hello Cory here, Just want to come in and clarify some of the points you've brought up. The thing that everyone should take away from this is that very, very little is going to change. Gameforge has been providing these services for two years already. They already take care of customer service. They also do an incredible amount to make sure HEX is great and will continue to do so, we are genuinely VERY happy with Gameforge and our partnership. A lot of what they do as a publisher isn't immediately noticeable like making sure the game is up and has proper hardware and providing an awesome PR and marketing team designed to bring more people into the game. They're not things you touch day to day when shuffling up your deck, but they are critical to HEX's success and always have been.

The one thing that players will notice is that not much is said in that there's not much to say. Things will remain the same. That's basically what's happening here. We went out with this news before the patch brought the new Terms of Service because we wanted our teams here in CA to be awake and address any concerns. To be clear, HEX Entertainment and HEX: Shards of Fate remain as it was before this announcement, we were not bought as I have seen mentioned in these comments. Seriously, nothing has changed.
Cory Jones

These posts are how you can tell Cory is a parent.
"It's the same, don't worry about it."
"If I screw the top on the cup, or you do, you still get to have the milk."
"Why are you crying about carrying your own lunch?"
"You *just* brushed your own teeth. Me touching your toothbrush afterwards does not negate your brushing."

Yoss
11-11-2015, 11:42 AM
"You *just* brushed your own teeth. Me touching your toothbrush afterwards does not negate your brushing."

LOL! (I'm a parent.)

Gwaer
11-12-2015, 05:30 PM
They can't never delete your account, it's against the law in the eu to indefinitely hold information without permission. It shouldn't be an issue with people making new accounts now, but accounts made before the transition can't be stored indefinitely on their servers. It's possible HXE could hold a backup of current accounts to be retrieved by support staff manually after the 6 month window. But GF has to follow the law, same as hxe.

Yoss
11-13-2015, 11:10 AM
They can't never delete your account, it's against the law in the eu to indefinitely hold information without permission. It shouldn't be an issue with people making new accounts now, but accounts made before the transition can't be stored indefinitely on their servers. It's possible HXE could hold a backup of current accounts to be retrieved by support staff manually after the 6 month window. But GF has to follow the law, same as hxe.

The "without permission" part is the key. I want an option added so that I can give permission and thus have my account remain secure "forever".

Aradon
11-13-2015, 11:29 AM
The "without permission" part is the key. I want an option added so that I can give permission and thus have my account remain secure "forever".

That's what you do when you accept the new ToS.

Gwaer
11-13-2015, 03:19 PM

Indeed, for clarity I should insert -> for those people who have not accepted the new TOS. The only relevance is people who are away from the game now, and will continue to be away from the game for the next 6 months.

Yoss
11-13-2015, 03:39 PM

Not quite. It only lasts until the ToS is revised, which happens periodically.

Snedley
11-16-2015, 02:14 PM
I note that the "Globe" icon on the game home screen no longer says "Coming Soon". Does this mean that GameForge is giving up on PvE (my only reason for backing the game in the first place)?

Aradon
11-16-2015, 02:25 PM
I note that the "Globe" icon on the game home screen no longer says "Coming Soon". Does this mean that GameForge is giving up on PvE (my only reason for backing the game in the first place)?

Gameforge doesn't get to give up on anything. They can try to pressure Cory, but good luck with that. CZE's not going to drop PvE either; they've been moving forward with PvE card spoilers, discussed very recently that dungeons are nearly all finalized, and many are at least partially implemented. They've done nothing but reassert that they're still aiming for the end of the year.

Gwaer
11-16-2015, 06:48 PM

Yep, thats a perfectly rational conclusion to reach.