PDA

View Full Version : Late Developments - Removal Effects

Shaqattaq
11-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Hello again, Hex Fans! Phil Cape here to share more stories from the design and development of Armies of Myth. Last time you heard from Matt Dunn, who the lead designer of the set, offering a thorough rundown of the spider mechanic from inception to completion. I was the lead developer, which is a different though complimentary role. In a lot of ways, my job is to reign in Matt’s wild creative designs and help fashion his thematic flights of fancy into nuts and bolts HEX gameplay. A big part of achieving that goal is creating a loose structure for him to design within. As Matt mentioned, one of our major goals was to introduce the four “new” races; Vennen, Necrotic, Elves and Coyotle. He also touched on our desire to introduce prismatic cards and champions. Today I’m going to discuss those prismatic elements, as well as how we evaluate what cards should be good in a given format – specifically, removal effects.

https://www.hextcg.com/late-developments-removal-effects/

Kami
11-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Another fun read. Thanks! :stormcloud:

morbidity
11-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Wow, that's just amazing - I could read about HEX design decisions all day long! :D

These posts are simply wonderful, please keep up the good work!

Incindium
11-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Blood should have the best straightforward removal, and should have good removal effects for killing smaller troops. This was because we wanted something to compete with Kill in constructed formats.

I think we know now why Murder is coming through the API as Kill...

Vorsa
11-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Love these articles - thanks. :cool:

Don’t be surprised to see cards like Untamed Duskwing and Ember Tears get a boost in playability from the next set.

Hmm; got to imagine B/R prismatic card with something along the lines of "increase all damage dealt to opposing champions by 1" - that would seem to be what you'd need to make tiny hard-to-avoid packets of damage like Duskwing and Tears playable.

wolzarg
11-23-2015, 03:53 PM
I'm a non native speaker so i might missread but does the article imply that diamond only has one removal at rare? Because as far as i can tell they have two with one of them costing a hefty 7. If I'm simply misunderstanding i apologize but otherwise it should probably be included in at least the removal list.

Edit
and as always with me the negative has to come first... The article was great i loved that it touched on something i try to teach new people a lot that the cost determines the power not the effect. 45 resource you win the game is quite horrid but a simple 2 resource draw a card deal a damage is probably good enough.

05K4R
11-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Awesome article! I could read about this stuff all day long!

Brjuntinaar
11-23-2015, 05:28 PM
Reading the goals that you guys had going into AOM, I just want to say that you did an outstanding job of attaining them all. I was not playing during Set 1, and have just done about 5 drafts of it during the flashback draft week. Though I still have more to learn, I was surprised to find that Set 1 did not at all meet the high expectations I had of it for limited play coming from AOM drafting. The format is extremely bomb-controlled, removal is way too prevalent and powerful, and both of these combine to make games more predictable and (sometimes) tedious. Coming from a person that drafted ALOT of MTG sets over the years, set 1 plays out exactly like the typical MTG set in limited, and that is a bad thing. It is formulaic and boring. Set 3 is, without a doubt, the best limited format of any set that I have ever played -- in MTG or Hex. It is balanced and deep, and though there are archetypes, you can be extremely successful if you don't follow them at all. Your philosophy for how to balance removal for set 3 makes perfect sense, and I think is integral to what makes this set so good to draft.

Now, I just ask that you please replicate the experience of Set 3 in the future?! And hopefully we see set 4 soon! :)

Aradon
11-23-2015, 05:31 PM
Reading the goals that you guys had going into AOM, I just want to say that you did an outstanding job of attaining them all. I was not playing during Set 1, and have just done about 5 drafts of it during the flashback draft week. Though I still have more to learn, I was surprised to find that Set 1 did not at all meet the high expectations I had of it for limited play coming from AOM drafting. The format is extremely bomb-controlled, removal is way too prevalent and powerful, and both of these combine to make games more predictable and (sometimes) tedious. Coming from a person that drafted ALOT of MTG sets over the years, set 1 plays out exactly like the typical MTG set in limited, and that is a bad thing. It is formulaic and boring. Set 3 is, without a doubt, the best limited format of any set that I have ever played -- in MTG or Hex. It is balanced and deep, and though there are archetypes, you can be extremely successful if you don't follow them at all. Your philosophy for how to balance removal for set 3 makes perfect sense, and I think is integral to what makes this set so good to draft.

Now, I just ask that you please replicate the experience of Set 3 in the future?! And hopefully we see set 4 soon! :)

It's interesting, because a lot of the people who drafted Set 1 did so for over a year without new sets, and it was regarded as one of the best balanced sets they had seen. It's a really deep set, and surprised everyone with its longevity. Personally, I enjoyed Set 1 limited over Set 3 by a long shot.

Brjuntinaar
11-24-2015, 03:44 AM
It's interesting, because a lot of the people who drafted Set 1 did so for over a year without new sets, and it was regarded as one of the best balanced sets they had seen. It's a really deep set, and surprised everyone with its longevity. Personally, I enjoyed Set 1 limited over Set 3 by a long shot.

I didn't mean to say that it is a bad set, just that it feels almost identical to drafting most MTG sets. I would say that if I ranked it against the MTG sets I've drafted in the past, it would rank pretty highly. I do think I need more time to adjust to it though so that I can assess it better...if I did more drafts my opinion of it might change.

Dinotropia
11-24-2015, 08:03 PM
Great read :D

I really enjoyed the removal breakdown. It is fun to hear the reasoning and see how it matches on to my own theories and play-decisions.

I hope we get more like this!