PDA

View Full Version : Ghostbusters FAQs

happyjew
11-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Now that the game has been out for a few weeks and people have had a chance to play I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread for rules questions that come up. This way, if somebody missed something or there is a rule you're not quite sure how it is supposed to work, we can get it answered.

So, what constitutes an obstacle? For example, the Terror Dogs cannot move through obstacles, and push Ghostbusters. If the Ecto-1 is in the way do they pouch it back, or would they move around it? If they push it, what happens when there is a ghostbuster behind it? What happens if it hits the edge of the board or an orange/red line? If they move around could the Ecto-1 be used to block the Terror Dogs from meeting?

Second question (non-rules related) Does anybody have an idea why I cannot post in Chrome?

Werechicken
12-01-2015, 10:20 AM
I'll answer your 2nd question first. I can post in Chrome no problem.

1st question, I can't answer, as I don't have my game and am waiting to play it to learn the rules. (I'm stubborn)

Mataio_Wilson
12-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Hi,

Thanks for writing.

"If the Ecto-1 is in the way do they pouch it back, or would they move around it?"

The Ecto-1 is not an obstacle. When a Ghost enters the same space as the Ecto-1, it sits on top of it (doing its best to balance) and incapacitates it. The Ecto-1 is not pushed by Stay Puft, a Terror Dog, or Spawn of Cathulhu.

Mataio Wilson
Lead Design, Ghostbusters: The Board Game

happyjew
12-01-2015, 07:07 PM
Mataio, still a little confused. If a ghost (such as a Galloping Ghoul) were to land on the Ecto-1, does it stay there, or move through it?
Would a Terror Dog move on top of the Ecto-1, or would it move around it?

happyjew
12-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Another question, how does Peck and Cathulu enter the game?

Werechicken
12-02-2015, 07:55 AM
Happy,
Per Mat, he is saying the ghost can move through it if they need to, but they can also land on it.

BradBosshart
12-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Thanks Mataio!

Mataio_Wilson
12-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Hi,

Any Ghost will sit on top of the Ecto-1, disabling it. The Terror Dog would also sit on top of it. You can check it out on page 17 of the Operations and Field Manual.

Mataio Wilson

Mataio_Wilson
12-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Hi again!

Cathulhu has his own scenario from the Kickstarter unlocks. You can find him in Researching Spook Central Campaign, Scenario #4.

Peck on the other hand was designed to be dropped into any scenario, using the event die during setup to place him adjacent to a random Gate.

Mataio Wilson

Mataio_Wilson
12-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Hi Werechicken,

Good to see you on the forums!

A Ghost will only move through the Ecto-1 if another Ghost happens to already be on the same space occupying it.

Thanks for helping out!

Mataio Wilson

Werechicken
12-02-2015, 11:22 AM
Eeeee, he spoke to me!

Thanks!

Full disclosure, I haven't played the game and haven't read the rules :-)

BradBosshart
12-02-2015, 04:52 PM
never studied!

Pace
12-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Hello Mataio,

Senario 2 ( slimer situation) You have to up grade by 1 class a ghost in the spirit world when you roll a close gate...I was unlucky and get a lot of closed gate so I had to up grade after awhile all the classe 1 for class 2...but after that...I had to up grade the classe 2 for the manifestation of boogaloo but after that I was not able to upgrade the laste class 2 for a class 3, I had no more left. My question is do I lose the game or do I have to introduce the big big boogaloo and continue the game...I choose yesterday to lose the game. What is your thought.

Mataio_Wilson
12-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Hello Mataio,

Senario 2 ( slimer situation) You have to up grade by 1 class a ghost in the spirit world when you roll a close gate...I was unlucky and get a lot of closed gate so I had to up grade after awhile all the classe 1 for class 2...but after that...I had to up grade the classe 2 for the manifestation of boogaloo but after that I was not able to upgrade the laste class 2 for a class 3, I had no more left. My question is do I lose the game or do I have to introduce the big big boogaloo and continue the game...I choose yesterday to lose the game. What is your thought.

Hi Pace,

Wow, that's some luck! If you run out of Class 3 Boogaloo Manifestations to upgrade with, you'll need to bring in another Class 3 Ghost from the Kickstarter campaign, like the Librarian, or a Spectral Ghostbuster. If you are playing with only the retail version, you'll need to bring in Slimer at Class 5. The only lose condition is that you cannot bring in a Ghost from the Spirit World, so you are safe once you run out of Ghosts from outside the scenario.

Mataio Wilson

The_Xavious
12-03-2015, 01:20 PM
I have a couple questions regarding the kickstarter bonus character Alexander. His level 2 ability states that he may take a free Combat Action against an adjacent Ghost. How does that interact with being slimed? I assume he can still take it even with two (or three) slime tokens on him, or am I wrong? Additionally, can he still take that bonus action and still remove slime from himself? Also, is his level 4 ability still be available when he is slimed? And when you move to the nearest space, do you ignore ghosts and obstacles, or can you get slimed passing through other ghosts to get there?

One question about Rookie. Does his level five ability lock out Egon's bonus XP option, since he wouldn't be able to have a final result of 1 if its given +1? Another thing, and maybe this is covered in the manual, but if you use Spengler's level 2 ability to reroll a miss, and the first roll was a 1, and the second roll is maybe a 2 and still resulting in a miss, can you take the first roll instead of the second for the bonus XP?

Is Venkman's level 2 ability optional? All other level 2 abilities generally say 'may' but the wording on Peter's ability doesn't really say one way or another if its optional.

When Peter is at level 5 (longer line of sight bonus), how does it interact with Ortiz's bonus XP condition? Do you actually have to be at maximum distance or can it be at 3 or 4 squares away?

Level 4 abilities can activate multiple times in a single turn provided the requirments are met, right?

Alright, that's it for now. Haven't had a chance to play this yet but it really looks like something I'm really going to love. I was looking for a more streamlined dungeon crawl-esque board game to play with my family, the fact that its based on my favorite movie/universe just makes it amazing!

happyjew
12-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Question - what difference (if any) is there between a free action and a maneuver?

I have a couple questions regarding the kickstarter bonus character Alexander. His level 2 ability states that he may take a free Combat Action against an adjacent Ghost. How does that interact with being slimed? I assume he can still take it even with two (or three) slime tokens on him, or am I wrong? Additionally, can he still take that bonus action and still remove slime from himself?
Seeing as a fully slimed ghostbuster can still make a single maneuver, I'd say yes, you still have the free combat.

Also, is his level 4 ability still be available when he is slimed? And when you move to the nearest space, do you ignore ghosts and obstacles, or can you get slimed passing through other ghosts to get there?
Yes, as all that is required is you hit a ghost. Second part not sure on, but IIRC you get slimed if a ghost moves through you, not if you move through a ghost.

One question about Rookie. Does his level five ability lock out Egon's bonus XP option, since he wouldn't be able to have a final result of 1 if its given +1?
Only on subsequent shots in the same turn. So if Egon has three actions and rolls 1, 1, 1. Due to the Rookie it would be 1,2,2 and Egon gets 1 XP.

Another thing, and maybe this is covered in the manual, but if you use Spengler's level 2 ability to reroll a miss, and the first roll was a 1, and the second roll is maybe a 2 and still resulting in a miss, can you take the first roll instead of the second for the bonus XP?[?QUOTE]
This is covered in the rulebook. If you re-roll a 1, you do not get XP unless the second roll is a 1.

[QUOTE]Is Venkman's level 2 ability optional? All other level 2 abilities generally say 'may' but the wording on Peter's ability doesn't really say one way or another if its optional.
Apparently not, however, I don't think people play it as mandatory.

When Peter is at level 5 (longer line of sight bonus), how does it interact with Ortiz's bonus XP condition? Do you actually have to be at maximum distance or can it be at 3 or 4 squares away?
She would have to be at maximum range which would now be 4 squares.

Level 4 abilities can activate multiple times in a single turn provided the requirments are met, right?
Correct.

Mataio_Wilson
12-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Hi Xavious,

Thanks for the insightful questions.

"I have a couple questions regarding the kickstarter bonus character Alexander. His level 2 ability states that he may take a free Combat Action against an adjacent Ghost.
-Alexander can use his Level 2 ability even when completely Slimed.

"Additionally, can he still take that bonus action and still remove slime from himself? "
-No, Alexander must forfeit all Actions to remove one Slime token from himself, just like any other Ghostbuster. His free Combat Action is still considered an Action.

"Also, is his level 4 ability still be available when he is slimed?"
-If Alexander was able to take a shot, then got Slimed because of it, he may still move with his Level 4 ability.

"And when you move to the nearest space, do you ignore ghosts and obstacles, or can you get slimed passing through other ghosts to get there?"
-Alexander is still moving and must find a path; he is not teleporting around obstacles. Ghostbusters cannot move through Ghosts, so they cannot be Slimed in this manner.

"One question about Rookie. Does his level five ability lock out Egon's bonus XP option, since he wouldn't be able to have a final result of 1 if its given +1?"
-Yes, if this ability causes Egon’s Combat Roll to change from 1 to 2, Egon does not get an XP from his Level 1 ability. This is covered on page 17 of the Operations and Field Manual.

"Another thing, and maybe this is covered in the manual, but if you use Spengler's level 2 ability to reroll a miss, and the first roll was a 1, and the second roll is maybe a 2 and still resulting in a miss, can you take the first roll instead of the second for the bonus XP?"
-No, the end result is a 2 in this case and Egon would not be granted the bonus XP. This is also covered on page 17 of the Operations and Field Manual.

"Is Venkman's level 2 ability optional? All other level 2 abilities generally say 'may' but the wording on Peter's ability doesn't really say one way or another if its optional."
-This should read as a "may" ability, you are correct.

"When Peter is at level 5 (longer line of sight bonus), how does it interact with Ortiz's bonus XP condition? Do you actually have to be at maximum distance or can it be at 3 or 4 squares away?"
-Yes, Ortiz would now need to be at 4 spaces to gain the bonus XP.

"Level 4 abilities can activate multiple times in a single turn provided the requirments are met, right?"
-Yes. If you trigger the requirements, you have earned the reward from your Level 4 ability.

Hope you and your family enjoy the game! Keep your questions coming!

Mataio Wilson

The_Xavious
12-04-2015, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the answers!

I have a few more questions.

For Janine's level 4 ability to trip, I assume it requires that you hit it before hand, so weak one stream ghosts do not activate her ability? Additionally, can that ability (and the Rookie's level 4) chain off itself? Suppose there are three class 2 ghosts in range of her and she hit all of them once before, she lands a hit on one of them, her ability lets her hit a second one, and can she then hit the third as another bonus action?

For Alexander's level 4, is there a limit to how far he could move? Suppose he hit a ghost in line of sight, but the only path not obstructed by ghosts or obstacles would require him to take 8 or so squares to move around everything to get into position, would that be against the spirit of the rule? I would sort of assume it's intended to be a quick dash into position rather than a leisurely stroll, so I would think no more squares than what he's normally allowed in a move action.

Skyknight
12-04-2015, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the answers!

I have a few more questions.

For Janine's level 4 ability to trip, I assume it requires that you hit it before hand, so weak one stream ghosts do not activate her ability? Additionally, can that ability (and the Rookie's level 4) chain off itself? Suppose there are three class 2 ghosts in range of her and she hit all of them once before, she lands a hit on one of them, her ability lets her hit a second one, and can she then hit the third as another bonus action?
You can't have streams on different targets. The manual says, when you have streams on a target and then fire at a different target, you loose all streams you had on that first target. So, no this ability can't chain!

The_Xavious
12-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Ooh, right. Rookie's ability is pretty much the same, but with someone else's stream. I think he had to have a stream on it before, but I don't remember the wording.

Zodac
12-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Hi there :)

I also have a question concerning a slimed Ghostbuster. The manual says that you have to forfeit all your actions to lose one slime token BUT you can still use your maneuver or your character ability (unless they are called actions, as seen in the example above).
Now, let's say Ray would have two actions but he has been slimed twice. His Level 2 ability grants him the removal of one slime (per turn) for free. Can he forfeit his turn (therefore lose one slime) AND use his Level 2 ability to remove another slime? Technically, removing slime is an action (and he would not be able to use his ability as well) but this is not specifically called an action. This is why I am asking.

My guess is that he can't do both but I wanted to make sure. ;)

Babylon1036
12-04-2015, 11:25 AM
With his ability in play first. I would think you can remove 2. 1 free+ 1 no action =2

Mataio_Wilson
12-04-2015, 05:32 PM
-The free Combat Action Janine and Rookie get is still affected by the base game rule that you can only have active Streams on one target at a time. If you have a Stream on a Ghost, then use the free Combat Action to hit a new Ghost, you will lose the original Stream(s). These abilities are best used when a hit also traps the Ghost, allowing you to make a new Combat Action.

For Alexander's level 4, is there a limit to how far he could move? Suppose he hit a ghost in line of sight, but the only path not obstructed by ghosts or obstacles would require him to take 8 or so squares to move around everything to get into position, would that be against the spirit of the rule? I would sort of assume it's intended to be a quick dash into position rather than a leisurely stroll, so I would think no more squares than what he's normally allowed in a move action.
-The intent is to move the shortest distance within Line of Sight. If this moves him more than his normal Movement, he may. Keep in mind that he need to see the Ghost he is moving to, so a long distance may not be possible due to the distance of the Ghost.

Hope that helps!

Mataio Wilson

Mataio_Wilson
12-04-2015, 05:34 PM
I also have a question concerning a slimed Ghostbuster. The manual says that you have to forfeit all your actions to lose one slime token BUT you can still use your maneuver or your character ability (unless they are called actions, as seen in the example above).
Now, let's say Ray would have two actions but he has been slimed twice. His Level 2 ability grants him the removal of one slime (per turn) for free. Can he forfeit his turn (therefore lose one slime) AND use his Level 2 ability to remove another slime? Technically, removing slime is an action (and he would not be able to use his ability as well) but this is not specifically called an action. This is why I am asking.

My guess is that he can't do both but I wanted to make sure. ;)

Actually, yes, Ray can remove one Slime token for free using his Level 2 ability, then forfeit his Actions to remove a second Slime token and end his turn.

Mataio Wilson

Zodac
12-05-2015, 05:09 AM
Ah, thanks a lot! The question about Ron Alexander's Free Combat Action confused me bit. That's why I asked. :)

An additional question: The manual states that when completely slimed and forfeitting your turn you may still perform a Maneuver or use a Character ability. So Ray really has to choose whether to deslime himself a second time or pass ghosts on to Winston and cannot have both. Correct?

Thanks again. :)

Mataio_Wilson
12-08-2015, 11:32 AM
So Ray really has to choose whether to deslime himself a second time or pass ghosts on to Winston and cannot have both. Correct?

Actually, Ray, and any Ghostbuster, can use both their Maneuver and their Level 2 ability before forfeiting their Actions for the round. So Ray can pass trapped Ghosts, use his Level 2 ability to remove his own Slime, then forfeit his Actions for the round to remove a second Slime token.

Mataio Wilson

Rule42
12-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Are there official rules for integrating the impossible mode ghosts? I looked back through the Kickstarter and it seems like a "use 'em however you want" kinda thing.

happyjew
12-09-2015, 01:37 PM
The Impossible Mode ghosts basically just replace their normal counterparts as you see fit. So if a mission calls for 4 Galloping Ghouls, 2 Gruesome Twosome, and 1 Boogaloo Manifestation, you can replace any of them with the Impossible Mode versions (so you could do 2 Galloping Ghouls, 2 IM Galloping Ghouls, 2 IM Gruesome Twosome, 1 Boogaloo Manifestation).

Rule42
12-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Cool. That's what I was assuming. Thanks for the confirmation.

Mataio_Wilson
12-10-2015, 01:40 PM
Are there official rules for integrating the impossible mode ghosts? I looked back through the Kickstarter and it seems like a "use 'em however you want" kinda thing.

In the office, we always have the Impossible Mode Ghosts emerge from the Spirit World first, then the standard blue versions.

I created a complicated system to determine which version to use when placing Ghosts on the map, but until we have a computerized way to implement it, I don't want to put the burden on the community to administer it.

Quick and easy way: I replace as many blue Ghosts with red ones as I feel like and mix em up, then pick em blind.

Mataio Wilson

happyjew
12-10-2015, 09:50 PM
Question regarding the Librarian/Gray Lady.
If she gets sucked into the Ghost World and is later released, does she emerge as the Librarian, Gray Lady, or how she went in?

iandawg1
12-10-2015, 11:40 PM
Hi everybody. My friends and I recently tried to play the "Okay, Who Brought The Dog?" scenario and were confused as to how Zuul and Vinz Clortho are supposed to move towards each other. Neither one can move through obstacles, but the scenario places them on opposite sides of the board with numerous obstacles in the way. The scenario says that failure will result if the two of them wind up adjacent to one another on the map, but a long fence blocks their way via line of sight. Will the dogs try to move towards each other, but around the fence so they can physically meet up, or will they simply move towards each other despite the fence being in the way? The way the board is designed, it would seem that Zuul would just get stuck in a corner or have to move away from Vinz at first before she can move towards him.

Mataio_Wilson
12-11-2015, 11:06 AM
Question regarding the Librarian/Gray Lady.
If she gets sucked into the Ghost World and is later released, does she emerge as the Librarian, Gray Lady, or how she went in?

Hi again,

Thanks for the great stream of questions.

If the Librarian gets sucked into the Spirit World as the Grey Lady, we can presume the scenario was successful and completed. When you start a scenario, she starts in the Librarian form.

If a future scenario or Gate would allow for her to get into the Spirit World, then she would come out in the Librarian form. I'll add it to the FAQ we're working on.

Mataio Wilson

Mataio_Wilson
12-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Hi everybody. My friends and I recently tried to play the "Okay, Who Brought The Dog?" scenario and were confused as to how Zuul and Vinz Clortho are supposed to move towards each other. Neither one can move through obstacles, but the scenario places them on opposite sides of the board with numerous obstacles in the way. The scenario says that failure will result if the two of them wind up adjacent to one another on the map, but a long fence blocks their way via line of sight. Will the dogs try to move towards each other, but around the fence so they can physically meet up, or will they simply move towards each other despite the fence being in the way? The way the board is designed, it would seem that Zuul would just get stuck in a corner or have to move away from Vinz at first before she can move towards him.

Hi Iandawg1,

Great question. Unlike Ghosts, corporeal threats like the Terror Dogs and Spawns of Cathuluhu need yous help when moving. You'll need to deduce the most efficient route for them to take, resolving a tie in movement with a die roll.

In the office, when Zuul would move towards an obstacle, we'd navigate around it in the path of least resistance. This was especially helpful when shooting at it and "kiting" it around a pit to stall it while we wrangled Vinz Clortho.

The trick is to go with the choice that threatens you the most. Put yourself in their shoes, er, paws.

Mataio Wilson

Rule42
12-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Just played the Stay Puft Stays Put scenario with spectral ghostbusters and a few impossible mode ghosts. Though I've caught a few small things we did wrong in terms of ghost movement/actions, we managed to pull off the win.

My question is this: Do you need to close the gates in this scenario in order to win? It doesn't say so in the "Success" text nor does it say that Stay Puft cannot be captured until the gates are closed as with "The Slimer Situation #4."

Thanks

Werechicken
12-13-2015, 06:02 PM
I have a good amount of questions.

I am sure a lot of these questions have already been asked.

1. Are Ghostbusters in the Ecto-1 adjacent to any standing next to the Ecto?
2. Do ghosts slime the people in the Ecto when they are next to it and do their missed slime attack? Does that make sense? I'm saying when they do their slime attack, not actually on the Ecto.
3. Do you have to trap the other ghosts after you close the gates, or is the scenario over? Can we do it anyway?
4. Can you drive through a space where a Ghostbuster is?
5. When a Ghostbuster loses a Ghost, as in they emerge from their space, that means they are slimed by that ghost, correct?
6. Can players move through a space with the Ecto-1?
7. Do slime tokens reset after each mission? Or stay on them from one to the next for a full campaign?
8. For Fearsome Flush's missed rule, what constitutes an "obstacle"?
9. If a ghost moves out of line of site from player, does the proton stream stay as long as the player doesn't attack a different ghost?
10. Can you dispose of ghosts in the gates or is that only in the 3rd mission of the Slimer scenario?

Mataio_Wilson
12-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Just played the Stay Puft Stays Put scenario with spectral ghostbusters and a few impossible mode ghosts. Though I've caught a few small things we did wrong in terms of ghost movement/actions, we managed to pull off the win.

My question is this: Do you need to close the gates in this scenario in order to win? It doesn't say so in the "Success" text nor does it say that Stay Puft cannot be captured until the gates are closed as with "The Slimer Situation #4."

Thanks

"Simply" defeat Stay Puft to win this scenario.

Mataio Wilson

happyjew
12-14-2015, 07:32 PM
3. Do you have to trap the other ghosts after you close the gates, or is the scenario over? Can we do it anyway?
Most ghosts will automatically get sucked in once the last gate is closed (this also usually ends the mission). Some missions will have ghosts that must be trapped in addition to closing all the gates, in which case the mission does not end once the last gate is closed unless the boss ghost is already caught.

9. If a ghost moves out of line of site from player, does the proton stream stay as long as the player doesn't attack a different ghost?

If a ghostbuster loses LOS to a ghost, they lose any streams on the ghost.

Werechicken
12-15-2015, 04:56 AM
Thanks, Happy.

Any help with the rest of them?

Mataio_Wilson
12-15-2015, 12:40 PM
I have a good amount of questions.

I am sure a lot of these questions have already been asked.

1. Are Ghostbusters in the Ecto-1 adjacent to any standing next to the Ecto?
Yes.

2. Do ghosts slime the people in the Ecto when they are next to it and do their missed slime attack? Does that make sense? I'm saying when they do their slime attack, not actually on the Ecto.
If a Ghostbuster is inside the Ecto-1 when its space is in the range of a Ghost that that slime that area, the Ghostbuster will get Slimed. While the Ecto-1 cannot get slimed, we treat it as a slime conduit for the inhabitants inside.

When the last Gate is closed, all remaining non-boss Ghosts are sucked into the Spirit World and are not present for trapping.

4. Can you drive through a space where a Ghostbuster is?
Yes, you just cannot end on a space with a Ghostbuster.

5. When a Ghostbuster loses a Ghost, as in they emerge from their space, that means they are slimed by that ghost, correct?
No, they simply appear adjacent to that Ghostbuster.

6. Can players move through a space with the Ecto-1?
Yes, you can "slide" over the hood or over the bucket seats and end on the other side unless there is a Ghost on top of the Ecto-1 in a space you want to move through.

7. Do slime tokens reset after each mission? Or stay on them from one to the next for a full campaign?
Slime token are removed from the Ghostbusters after a scenario results in a success of failure.

8. For Fearsome Flush's missed rule, what constitutes an "obstacle"?
Obstacles are orange or red lines on the map that block movement.

If a Ghost moves out of Line of Sight of a Ghostbuster that has a Stream on it and does not move back into LoS during that movement, the Stream is lost. For instance, a Gruesome Twosome can move towards a Ghostbuster, breaking its Line of Sight behind an obstacle, then move randomly back into Line of Sight, keeping the original Stream intact.

Thanks for all the questions! Keep em coming!

Mataio Wilson

BradBosshart
12-15-2015, 01:32 PM
Mataio maybe in the errata, mention that Fearsome Flush is corporeal. If orange and redlines stop o?it, it must be solid.

The_Xavious
12-16-2015, 02:04 AM
Pretty sure Fearsome Flush isn't corpreal, it only cares about obstacles for its On Miss effect. Otherwise, I think corpreal will always push Ghostbusters when moving in their space rather than passing through. The fact that a fearsome flush will pass through (possibly multiple) Ghostbusters is one of its stronger points. Also corpreal entities seem to all have opaque miniatures rather than transparent ones.

Question about Ortiz's level 4 ability. Does the "On Hit" effect trigger if you opt to move the ghost rather than add a stream? From what I can tell, a successful proton roll determines if its a "hit" rather than the addition of a stream, but if that is the case, her level 4 ability seems rather pointless unless you want to move the ghost even closer to her (which seems counter-intuitive for her level 1 ability, but somewhat handy for her level 2). It also raises the question of what happens for a class 1 ghost, since they have no On Hit effect.

So, what triggers the On Hit effect, the successful roll, or the addition of a stream?

Werechicken
12-16-2015, 06:10 AM
Ugh, so I hate people get slimed when they're in the Ecto and the ghost isn't in there with them, but hey, what are you gonna do?

So people, other ghosts and the Ecto don't count as obstacles for Fearsome Flush?

New questions, Sandman Edition!

1) So when the Chaos symbol is rolled at the end of round, and THEN we do the Sandman end of round move. Is that right? It really really really sucks. :-)

2) Sandman states "streams come off", I assume it's just the person who falls asleep, who's streams come off?

3)Can Sandman put people to sleep in the ecto? Please say no.

4) Do ghosts block line of site for other ghosts?

5)Can asleep Ghostbusters be slimed? (I'm sure they can be, but hey, can't blame me for trying. Nothing is worse than being woken up and you have 2 slime tokens on you...well except maybe if you have 3)

BradBosshart
12-16-2015, 07:29 AM
I dont have the scenarios at work, Mataio will probably get to you before me.

Werechicken
12-16-2015, 07:40 AM
I figured, it's okay, thanks, Brad!

Mataio_Wilson
12-16-2015, 11:29 AM
1) So when the Chaos symbol is rolled at the end of round, and THEN we do the Sandman end of round move. Is that right? It really really really sucks. :-)
The Event die is the last thing you do during a round. Resolve any Ghost or Boss abilities beforehand.

2) Sandman states "streams come off", I assume it's just the person who falls asleep, who's streams come off?
Yes, when you are put to sleep, you lose any Streams.

3)Can Sandman put people to sleep in the ecto? Please say no.
Yes, Ghostbusters inside the Ecto-1 can be affected by Sandman. They can also be awoken by Ghostbusters adjacent to or inside the Ecto-1.

4) Do ghosts block line of site for other ghosts?
Yes.

5)Can asleep Ghostbusters be slimed? (I'm sure they can be, but hey, can't blame me for trying. Nothing is worse than being woken up and you have 2 slime tokens on you...well except maybe if you have 3)
Yes.

Mataio Wilson

Werechicken
12-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Every answer you gave me, makes me cry.

RockerKing
12-16-2015, 12:51 PM
Some questions which are bugging me:

1) If a ghost have to move toward the nearest Ghostbusters every turn/round, does the ghost stop adjacent to the Ghostbuster or pass through & slime? And if that Ghostbuster doesnít move does the ghost just stop adjacent or keep sliming every turn/round?

2) I presume Ghostbuster inside Ecto-1 also consider nearest Ghostbuster?

3) When Ghosts are moving 1 or more spaces toward the nearest Ghostbusters or goal every turn/round, do they pass through gates/ghosts so they could reach quicker or move around them?

4) Ghost emerges from the front space of Ecto-1, this mean the empty space in front of Ecto-1 or the front of the 2 spaces of Ecto-1?

5) Effect causing Ghostbusters or Ecto-1 moving in random direction. I know obstacle stop movement but if that starting direction is already obstacle, itís wonít move at all or move alternate direction?

6) Slimer Scenario #4 Closed Gate effect Ė I presume itís the Gate LOS toward each Ghostbuster and is still 3 LOS even if Ghostbusters have 4 LOS?

7) I presume for all boss scenarios, you can defeat boss before closing gates and vice-versa?

8) Fearsome Flush Ė I presume Ghostbusters & open gates are not consider obstacle to stop movement?

9) Terrain and ghosts do not block LOS to the 3 big bosses, I presume itís also vice-versa?

10) I presume Stay Puft & Cathulhu can pass through obstacle due to their size?

11) I presume the big Boogaloo can leave the map & the scenario is lost?

12) Big bosses took up 4 spaces, if due to miss combat they have to move 1 or more spaces and that space contain a Ghostbuster, open gate or ghost they should keep moving until 4 empty spaces? What if there are no available in that direction?

13) What happen if 1 or more Ghostbusters are at map edge/ obstacle and a corporeal ghost have to move toward & push? All Ghostbusters get pushed in an alternate direction instead?

14) I presume Ghostbusters can be push into Ecto-1 from all direction?

15) Taking Library as example, if left & right are long obstacle. A corporeal ghost canít move left/right due to random miss combat. It wonít move or move front/back as alternate direction instead?

happyjew
12-16-2015, 01:39 PM
Some questions which are bugging me:

If a ghost have to move toward the nearest Ghostbusters every turn/round, does the ghost stop adjacent to the Ghostbuster or pass through & slime? And if that Ghostbuster doesn’t move does the ghost just stop adjacent or keep sliming every turn/round?
The ghost moves the distance specified. If this were to bring the ghost through the ghostbuster (or on the ghostbuster), the ghostbuster gets slimed.

I presume Ghostbuster inside Ecto-1 also consider nearest Ghostbuster?
If the Ecto-1 is the closest and there is 1+ Ghostbuster inside, yes.

When Ghosts are moving 1 or more spaces toward the nearest Ghostbusters or goal every turn/round, do they pass through gates/ghosts so they could reach quicker or move around them?
They pass through ghosts and gates, however, if a Galloping Ghoul/Gruesome Twosome/Boogaloo Manifestation ends on the same square as another of its kind, it gets upgraded.

Ghost emerges from the front space of Ecto-1, this mean the empty space in front of Ecto-1 or the front of the 2 spaces of Ecto-1?
It would emerge in the square directly in front of the Ecto-1.

Slimer Scenario #4 Closed Gate effect – I presume it’s the Gate LOS toward each Ghostbuster and is still 3 LOS even if Ghostbusters have 4 LOS?
Correct, this mission is very easy if you have Venkman's Level 5 ability.

I presume for all boss scenarios, you can defeat boss before closing gates and vice-versa?
For the most part yes, however, some scenarios are impossible without closing some of the gates first.

Fearsome Flush – I presume Ghostbusters & open gates are not consider obstacle to stop movement?
Ghostbusters no. From previous questions open gates would be an obstacle (though Mataio might overrule this).

happyjew
12-16-2015, 01:40 PM
I might have missed this. Does Peck randomly show up or do you just decide to start with him on the board?

The_Xavious
12-16-2015, 02:09 PM
I might have missed this. Does Peck randomly show up or do you just decide to start with him on the board?

Your decision. He can drop into pretty much any scenario to bump the difficulty up a bit, as far as I know theres no specific rules or scenarios specifically asking for him or determining if he shows or not.

Werechicken
12-16-2015, 06:34 PM
It might be fun to create one for him.

Maybe he gets possessed?

RockerKing
12-16-2015, 08:25 PM
The ghost moves the distance specified. If this were to bring the ghost through the ghostbuster (or on the ghostbuster), the ghostbuster gets slimed.

This mean if a ghost stopped adjacent to a Ghostbuster who is unable to move this turn/round and this ghost have to move toward the nearest Ghostbusters every turn/round, instead of stop moving since it's already next to the Ghostbusters, it will still move & slime every turn/round?

They pass through ghosts and gates, however, if a Galloping Ghoul/Gruesome Twosome/Boogaloo Manifestation ends on the same square as another of its kind, it gets upgraded.

So a ghost have to move 1 space toward a target every turn/round and if 2 paths are the same distance toward that target, the ghost should choose the one with open gate/ghost since by passing through it can move 2 space instead of 1?

happyjew
12-17-2015, 11:17 AM
Not quite. If there are two equal length paths, ghosts will choose the one with least resistance.

For example.

[G][ ][G]
[S][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ][B][ ]

In the above scenario, both ghostbusters (G) are equal distance from the Boogaloo (B). However, Slime (S) is blocking one of the ghostbusters. As such, the Boogaloo would move towards the right ghostbuster.

happyjew
12-20-2015, 04:30 AM
Question from the Facebook page.

If a Zombie Taxi Driver is in the Ecto 1, and you roll (for example) a 3 for movement, how does it move, since the Ecto-1 cannot move diagonally?

BradBosshart
12-20-2015, 07:22 PM
I guess you would right angle up to the "3" position (turn right a space, then turn left)

BradBosshart
12-20-2015, 07:24 PM
@Mataio we played the Retail Scenario today. We drove the Ecto-1 through the portal to the other side, since it didn't say that you couldn't. Can the Ecto-1 be driven through the portals?

Carthain
12-20-2015, 09:02 PM
Finally got my copy and able to play. Got a few questions:

1) When a Chaos Surge is rolled and the ghosts refer to the closest ghostbuster and two are equidistant, which one do you use? (We used the Proton die to determine randomly.)

2) When in scenario 4 of the slimer campaign - slimer moves along the track - when someone misses him, does he move as per his Miss on his card (2 in a random direction)? or does he move as per the 'end of turn' movement? Or not at all? (We played it where he moved 2 randomly ... which felt very erratic, but very like Slimer we all felt. We had a merry chase around the board.)

BradBosshart
12-21-2015, 08:13 AM
Haven't done the Slimer yet, but you can roll randomly if there is a tie between closest GB for a ghost.

Werechicken
12-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Brad, I love your idea of driving through them....

As for Slimer, I still can't beat S4.

Scott_Dufficy
12-21-2015, 04:52 PM

MattMurdock
12-21-2015, 05:04 PM

1) When a Chaos Surge is rolled and the ghosts refer to the closest ghostbuster and two are equidistant, which one do you use? (We used the Proton die to determine randomly.)

2) When in scenario 4 of the slimer campaign - slimer moves along the track - when someone misses him, does he move as per his Miss on his card (2 in a random direction)? or does he move as per the 'end of turn' movement? Or not at all? (We played it where he moved 2 randomly ... which felt very erratic, but very like Slimer we all felt. We had a merry chase around the board.)

If the scenario doesnt specify overwriting that rule (like it does for Stay Puft, saying ignore his end of round special) then he would move as per the miss on the card.

MattMurdock
12-21-2015, 05:05 PM
@Mataio we played the Retail Scenario today. We drove the Ecto-1 through the portal to the other side, since it didn't say that you couldn't. Can the Ecto-1 be driven through the portals?

I dont think so. Ghostbusters cant move through ghosts or portals can they? so why should they be able to drive through one?

MattMurdock
12-21-2015, 05:06 PM
Brad, I love your idea of driving through them....

As for Slimer, I still can't beat S4.

There is a specific technique, once you find it then its quite easy.

BradBosshart
12-21-2015, 10:07 PM
in this scenario, they can, that's how they get to the other side of the wall.

ToasterBoy
12-22-2015, 12:19 PM

This confused me too. I'd love an official response on the gameplay. Once the gates are closed and you can go after Slimer, does he continue along his 1 square her turn track or does he go wild? It would seem he should continue along his track in order to accomplish his goal of snagging the last slime token and winning the game. That does make him a sitting duck, however. If he doesn't continue on that path, there's no real way for the Ghostbusters to lose at that point.

willb
12-22-2015, 10:29 PM
The manual says, if a gate is closed, it becomes normal terrain. Does this mean that ghostbusters and ghosts can land on a closed gate? Or do they move through the closed gate?

Meankeb
12-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Tagging onto willb. If the portal was originally on a square surrounded by a solid orange on each side, does closing the gate "cover up" the solid orange, and make the square passable?

MattMurdock
12-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Yes you can move onto, over/through closed gates, they essentially arent there anymore but need to stay on the board for event dice rolls where closed gates occur. Terrain lines are on the border of squares so should still apply I think.

BradBosshart
12-25-2015, 07:53 AM
Yes, I agree with Matt. Terrain lines stay the same. The flipped "No Ghost" marker does not block Line of Sight or Movement, but is necessary for any "closed Gate" game functions.

Agvaughan
12-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Can what happens when ghosts like the terror dogs and fearsome flushes run into each other? Do they move through or because they react to things like solid objects do they stop movement for each other?

Werechicken
12-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Fearsome flushes go through anything except blocking terrain lines, I believe.

Meankeb
12-25-2015, 08:39 PM
Per the Kickstarter Appendix:

"When a Fearsome Flush is missed and moves in a straight path, it moves through Ghostbusters, Ghosts and through yellow terrain. Once it reaches a red or orange terrain or the edge of the map, it stops."

MamuNestor
12-28-2015, 09:26 AM
sorry clarified already

MamuNestor
12-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Speaking of Cathulhu (BTW hate that spelling, but understand where it comes from)
"At the end of each Ghostbuster’s turn, Cathulhu moves 1
space towards the nearest map edge. If Cathulhu leaves the
map, you lose the game."

Does this mean after each characters actions and maneuvers? or after all? because the scenario is over before any ghostbusters can get there if Cathulhu moves after each characters turn and not the ghostbusters as a whole. Say we were in the Paging Cathulhu scenario 2 of the researching spook central campaign, With all the obstacles in the way of movement and ghosts from the beginning of the scenario it is impossible to even get to it if he movies one space after each character takes their actions and maneuvers. By the time each character has completed their actions it's off the map unless it moves toward the ghostbusters first.

Also on that same scenario, under the map key it lists 9 class 1 ghosts but only 8 are numbered on the map image for placement... and the tile S2 cannot be S2 and must be P6, according to the image.

I'm sure I'll remember more of the problems we had, but this thread has been helpful.

Werechicken
12-29-2015, 05:18 PM
Mamu, it IS after each turn. Meaning one character's actions, maneuvers and ability, move 1 space. Then on to the next GB.

Brandon_the_Wut
01-01-2016, 07:20 AM
If I wished to drop ghosts into a scenario, is there particular math to how I drop in higher class ghosts, such as pull two class 3's for one higher class ghost? Say I want to drop in a second Slimer(regular or Impossible mode) in the the fourth Slimer scenario or wanted to use Samhain and Sandman in a scenario together or Boogieman and Ivo Shandor together. Boogaloo seems to be the only higher level ghost with information to easily drop him in. Apologies if this has been answered. Please point me in the right direction if it has.

Waffle
01-01-2016, 07:25 PM
So here is something I could not find out, and I did not see it any where in the rules. What happens when you loose a scenario? Like for instance lost scenario 2 of a campaign. Do I start from the beginning of the campaign or do I just keep track of my starting XP at the start of each scenario?

Meankeb
01-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Depends on how hard-core you are :) If you are a rogue-like player, you would end the campaign and start over. I like your method, which is more like a mulligan (do-over). Of course, if you just want to see how it ends, restart the scenario and keep your XP were it was when you lost.

BradBosshart
01-02-2016, 05:00 AM
So here is something I could not find out, and I did not see it any where in the rules. What happens when you loose a scenario? Like for instance lost scenario 2 of a campaign. Do I start from the beginning of the campaign or do I just keep track of my starting XP at the start of each scenario?

Good question. If it was a video game, you would start the scenario over at 0 XP. How can you move to Level 2 when you failed level one? If you don't get together that often/pressed for time, I guess you could move on to the next part of the scenario. GB the Board Game is a mix of RPG levels with regular moving pieces on a board. I haven't done any of the "regular" scenarios yet. I did the Retail one, and my own customs in the paper game before I got my real game. I hope to play again soon!

Waffle
01-03-2016, 01:00 PM
So how much R&D went into the bonus campaigns? Because I tried out Scenario one and two of the Researching spook central campaigns the other night, and I have to tell you, one isnt super impossible but we messed up and didnt realize that the dogs couldn't meet or it was game over, so our bad on that one, but its still pretty rough, though they only move at the end of the round.

However the Cathulu spawns moving every turn and then once they are on someone there is pretty much no chance of that person going again for the rest of the game, thats rough, like I dont see how you can even do that scenario period.

Will be doing it again and again till I get it but its just rough if you ask me. Also noticed some errors on the set up with tiles, the numbers did not match which tile it was and there is on scenario 2 one extra class one, the scenario calls for 9 but there are only spots for 8 on the set up map.

Meankeb
01-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Have not tried Cathulu yet. As you describe it, it sounds like you need to be spread out enough to give other GB shots at them.

There have been a few misprinted scenario cards, showing tiles with the wrong numbers, etc. They will likey have corrected reprints in future retail / Kickstarters. I'd imagine there might be an errata document out there from CZE at some point early this year.

Chadwick12
01-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Hello, a bunch of us over on BGG are wondering what happens to XP when you fail a scenario. Do you restart keeping XP earned? Restart going back to the XP you started the scenario with? I had suggested going back to the beginning XP of whatever level you are at when you failed the scenario.

Personally I like that idea but we were looking for an official answer. Thanks!

Brandon_the_Wut
01-04-2016, 07:16 PM
You restart in whatever way you and your group feels is most fun. This is not an official answer. :p

Chadwick12
01-04-2016, 07:21 PM
Haha! That's what I'm saying. Curious if Mataio has any input. What was his vision?

JayTigran
01-05-2016, 03:34 AM
I have a question: on the Idulnas Incursion Scenario #2: when the ghosts are moving towards the goal, and for a reason (chaos die, missed proton stream, etc...) a ghost on the edge is forced off tile, are they gone from the game as per usual gameplay, or do they come back somehow?

Werechicken
01-12-2016, 06:08 AM
Per Sara, Mat is out till February.

So if you post questions and need an official ruling, it'll be a bit.

That being said, here are my questions!

I played the scenario Who Brought the Dog

1) Why is the Librarian in this scenario? Can she just never be trapped?
2) Once you close the two open gates, all the ghosts get sucked in, then it's just the Terror Dogs, right?
3) If all the gates are closed, how do you trap the Terror Dogs?

happyjew
01-13-2016, 08:45 AM
I played the scenario Who Brought the Dog

1) Why is the Librarian in this scenario? Can she just never be trapped?
No idea why she is in the scenario (probably to make it a little bit more challenging), but she cannot be trapped. However, if you close all the gates, she gets sucked into the spirit world.

2) Once you close the two open gates, all the ghosts get sucked in, then it's just the Terror Dogs, right?
Correct, all ghosts (including the Librarian/Gray Lady) except the Terror Dogs get sucked into the Spirit World.

3) If all the gates are closed, how do you trap the Terror Dogs?
The mission card specifically says that if only one terror dog is in the spirit world or if every gate is closed and both terror dogs are not in the spirit world, all the gates open.

Werechicken
01-18-2016, 11:00 AM
So you keep both gates open and force the dogs in before shutting them?

Krusticlese
01-18-2016, 11:22 AM
My question is concerning 'The Slimer Situation, scenario #4'.

If slimer leaves the map in a straight line, he appears on the opposite side off the map (leaves top, enters bottom- leaves left, enters right). Easy. If he moves diagonally though (let's say he's to the immediate left of slime marker #2 and must move up, right diagonally 2 squares), would he reenter tile S9 at the bottom of the map in the next column to the right, or would you draw a straight line behind him, causing him to reenter in tile S3 next to slime marker #4?

Also, are the slime markers removed when Slimer crosses them, or do they stay? In the above example, we had slimer recross slime marker #1. We were unsure of his 'to trap' counter would go up again for crossing the same slime marker again. I think 'no, they aren't removed' simply because his 'to trap' counter goes up to 8, and he'd only ever reach that count as soon as he reaches slime marker #4, which immediately ends the scenario, so it would be pointless to try to put 8 streams on him if the game is over.

happyjew
01-18-2016, 02:13 PM
So you keep both gates open and force the dogs in before shutting them?

Or shut the two gates, causing every single ghost to get sucked in, and every gate to re-open.

Werechicken
01-19-2016, 05:07 AM
I know we hit him after crossing Token 3 and he wound up right next to Token 4, lost the game, that sucked.

As far as diagonally, thats a good question.

The slime tokens are removed when he crosses them.

rudis21
01-19-2016, 08:58 AM
I have a question about Winston's lvl 2 ability. Does this allow him to basically deposit as long as he has line of sight from up to 3 spots away from the Ecto-1?

Krusticlese
01-19-2016, 11:03 PM
The slime tokens are removed when he crosses them.

It doesn't say that on the scenario card anywhere. Where are you getting that?

If you remove them when he crosses them, why have the 'to trap' counter go up to 8? Shouldn't it only go up to 7?

Pagrashtak
01-20-2016, 09:08 AM
I recently received this game as a gift and there is an image on pg. 13 of the manual that has left me confused, it depicts when you can deposit ghosts into the Ecto-1, I will try to re-create the image in text here below.

O O O
X|E O
X|E G
X G X

X= Cannot Deposit
O= Can Deposit
G= Ghost
E= Ecto-1
| = Yellow Line

I cannot understand why the two X's on the bottom of Ecto-1 cannot deposit ghosts. Can anyone explain this reasoning?

Meankeb
01-20-2016, 07:43 PM
Yes, that's how I have been playing. We have lovingly dubbed it, "the ghost grenade".

Meankeb
01-20-2016, 07:49 PM
I cannot understand why the two X's on the bottom of Ecto-1 cannot deposit ghosts. Can anyone explain this reasoning?

In my group, we've been treating those two ghosts on the bottom right as two red lines on your square. Can't see through them, can't move through them. So they have a touching corner, right between you and the Ecto-1 preventing the deposit. The one on the lower left I'm not sure about. Same situation, there is a red line to your direct right, and a yellow line right above it...You can draw a line from your corner directly diagonally into Ecto...coin flip, but I'd allow it :)

Skyknight
01-21-2016, 12:12 AM
Look at the rules. It says you must be adjacent and have LoS to deposit ghosts into the Ecto. Rules state that two diagonally connected ghosts block movement as well as LoS. That explains the bottom right X. I'm not so sure about the left one, but I think it's because a space with blocked LoS(yellow line) is diagonally connected to the ghost in bottom which left the X in the bottom left between two spaces that cannot deposit which also blocks LoS. At least this is how I made sense of it!

Krusticlese
01-21-2016, 12:35 AM
Look at the rules. It says you must be adjacent and have LoS to deposit ghosts into the Ecto. Rules state that two diagonally connected ghosts block movement as well as LoS. That explains the bottom right X. I'm not so sure about the left one, but I think it's because a space with blocked LoS(yellow line) is diagonally connected to the ghost in bottom which left the X in the bottom left between two spaces that cannot deposit which also blocks LoS. At least this is how I made sense of it!

This is correct. The yellow terrain and the ghost on the left make a continuous blocking 'wall' for LoS. You can't draw a line from any corner of that square to any corner square of the the Ecto-1.

The same applies to the square on the bottom right. You can't draw LoS from any corner of that square to the Ecto-1 without crossing a ghost's square.

Even if it's a direct diagonal line, if both squares contain figures or terrain that block LoS, it's blocked.

ronniechowder
01-21-2016, 08:06 PM
hey guys, new to the forums and while i've been reading them, and the instructions, i have two questions that i'm stuck on, and while they've probably been asked, and answered a million times, as the new guy, it's my responsibility to waste everyone's time by asking it again.
so....

In game, how many spaces does a gb have to be away from a ghost for a proton stream to hit it?
also, what happens if a galloping ghoul lands on the same space as a gruesome twosome?

that's all i have right now, i'm sure they'll be more. thanks a lot, and glad to be here.

MattMurdock
01-21-2016, 09:27 PM
hey guys, new to the forums and while i've been reading them, and the instructions, i have two questions that i'm stuck on, and while they've probably been asked, and answered a million times, as the new guy, it's my responsibility to waste everyone's time by asking it again.
so....

In game, how many spaces does a gb have to be away from a ghost for a proton stream to hit it?
also, what happens if a galloping ghoul lands on the same space as a gruesome twosome?

that's all i have right now, i'm sure they'll be more. thanks a lot, and glad to be here.

Line of sight is 3 squares, and the ghoul would pass through the twosome and land on the next available square. (just like any ghost entering an occupied square).

Werechicken
01-22-2016, 04:59 AM
Don't worry, Ron,

We all have questions

ronniechowder
01-22-2016, 11:31 AM
i appreciate the help and the replies. thanks a lot guys.

JawlessCrawdad
01-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Hi guys, loving the game so much! I'm working on making custom cards, boards etc to make my own expansions. Being a perfectionist, I'd like them to look as close to the original cards as possible. Does anyone know what fonts are used? Sorry if this isn't an appropriate question.

creativejay
01-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Hello all!

We had friends over to play Campaign #1 and everyone had a great time playing Scenario #1 two weeks ago to get the gist of the game.

Last week they came over and we attempted Scenario #2. I know it was probably not the best idea to include 5 Spawn of Cathulu in the game (2 on the board to start, the rest in the spirit world) as our Class 2s, and we were stuck in slime/rinse/repeat in a game that wouldn't end. Finally we rage-quit.

So we have a couple of questions now.
1) When a Ghostbuster removes another players' slime as one of their turns, do they only remove one token, or can they clear all tokens? The book seems to imply all tokens but we just would like to double-check.
2) Can four people each play two characters, for a total of eight ghostbusters on the board (each person managing two characters)?
3) Is it okay to ask for advice or tricks, in this forum, on defeating certain enemies? (Still talking about those durned SoC, blargh)
4) I gleaned from the rest of this thread that a corporeal ghost would not bang its head blindly into a wall that a ghostbuster is on the other side of, but would move around the obstacle between them, and then possibly switch to chasing another ghostbuster if it got closer to that one. So our one plan of trying to lure all the spawns behind an L-shaped terrain barrier and keeping one 'bait' buster on the other side would not actually be effective, correct?

Thanks in advance!

rudis21
01-22-2016, 03:11 PM
The slime question is easy.
Not sure why the pic is so small. I zoomed in, but pg16 under the remove slime action section it says one token

The_Xavious
01-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Spawn of Cthulhu are insanely tough for a class 2. I think they really should be tweaked, like maybe only requiring 2 streams to cap, at the very least. They're tough enough that just one of them could make for a respectable boss ghost on its own, and I really don't think that's appropriate for a class 2 or even a class 3 ghost.

Best strategy I guess would be to keep it surrounded, managing your distance so that it bounces between ghostbusters, but that's not exactly simple. Utilizing terrain would be a good idea, choosing the right characters might give you an edge, I'd say Ray for his slime removal would be smart, Alexander's free adjacent attack could be used to at least maintain the streams, Ortiz's ability to move ghosts would help. Ultimately a group of level 1 or 2 'busters really don't stand a good chance of taking one out.

Using L shaped terrain to tackle a corporeal ghost probably doesn't work as well as you thought, but its still probably a pretty solid plan, with maybe some tweaks.

One player using two or more ghostbusters? Of course! This can be played with only one player using four characters. There are special rule posted somewhere for playing with more than four characters, but the basics are that you roll the event die after every fourth player takes a turn.

happyjew
01-22-2016, 10:02 PM
1) When a Ghostbuster removes another players' slime as one of their turns, do they only remove one token, or can they clear all tokens? The book seems to imply all tokens but we just would like to double-check.
Answered by rudis21 above - per page 16, 1 slime tokn.

2) Can four people each play two characters, for a total of eight ghostbusters on the board (each person managing two characters)?
It is possible, however the normal rules do not cover multiple ghostbusters and CZE plays that you roll the event die after every 4th ghostbuster. So basically player 1 performs actions as GB1. Player 1 performs actions as GB2. Player 2 performs actions as GB1. Player 2 performs actions as GB2. Roll Event Die. Player 3 performs actions as GB1. Player 3 performs actions as GB2. Player 4 performs actions as GB1. Player 4 performs actions as GB2. Roll Event Die

3) Is it okay to ask for advice or tricks, in this forum, on defeating certain enemies? (Still talking about those durned SoC, blargh)
The idea behind this thread is to answer any rules-based questions. You won't get in any trouble for asking for advice or tricks, but I humbly ask that you do not. Note I have no power here and can't do anything if you do ask for advice.

Unless you meant the Ghostbusters Board Game forum, and not this thread specifically. If you are talking about the forum itself, by all means, ask for advice if you need it.

4) I gleaned from the rest of this thread that a corporeal ghost would not bang its head blindly into a wall that a ghostbuster is on the other side of, but would move around the obstacle between them, and then possibly switch to chasing another ghostbuster if it got closer to that one. So our one plan of trying to lure all the spawns behind an L-shaped terrain barrier and keeping one 'bait' buster on the other side would not actually be effective, correct?
My group has not played with the Spawns yet so I can't help with this one.

Skyknight
01-23-2016, 04:23 AM
1) You remove one slime token per action you spend. It's possible to use all of your actions to remove slime from team members.

And I believe the Spawns were originally supposed to be class 3 but a typing error made that a 2 and it somehow slipped through proofreading. An indication of this theory is that you need 3 Streams to trap em. You'd only need 2 for a class 2(or the error was here and someone typed 3 instead of 2 and it slipped proofreading, but seems more reasonable for me that minions of the big guy are higher class than 2). I haven't played with them yet, but I will treat them as class 3's!

BradBosshart
01-23-2016, 11:59 AM
@Skynight sounds reasonable to me. Mistakes happen, still gotta bust 'em! : )

BradBosshart
01-23-2016, 12:01 PM
Hi guys, loving the game so much! I'm working on making custom cards, boards etc to make my own expansions. Being a perfectionist, I'd like them to look as close to the original cards as possible. Does anyone know what fonts are used? Sorry if this isn't an appropriate question.

Hey Jawless! I made some customs on Publisher. It's at work, so I can't control the fonts. The hard part is posting a card that everyone can use. Not everyone has Photoshop or Publisher. I think someone cracked it on the Facebook groups, I'll have to see if they made an edit-friendly document.

Krusticlese
01-24-2016, 02:44 AM
1) You remove one slime token per action you spend. It's possible to use all of your actions to remove slime from team members.

And I believe the Spawns were originally supposed to be class 3 but a typing error made that a 2 and it somehow slipped through proofreading. An indication of this theory is that you need 3 Streams to trap em. You'd only need 2 for a class 2(or the error was here and someone typed 3 instead of 2 and it slipped proofreading, but seems more reasonable for me that minions of the big guy are higher class than 2). I haven't played with them yet, but I will treat them as class 3's!

That's really just conjecture. Being that Cathulhu is the only Class 8, it's reasonable that his Class 2 spawns are just *that hard* to capture.

JawlessCrawdad
01-25-2016, 07:00 PM
Hey Jawless! I made some customs on Publisher. It's at work, so I can't control the fonts. The hard part is posting a card that everyone can use. Not everyone has Photoshop or Publisher. I think someone cracked it on the Facebook groups, I'll have to see if they made an edit-friendly document.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm a member on the Facebook group, have managed to create a blank ghost card, but finding the correct fonts is proving tricky. I'd settle for close enough, but the perfectionist in me wants to make them exactly!

Jaranian
03-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Hi all!

So, I had a few rules questions regarding entering/exiting the Ecto-1 (sheet 15 of the manual) that I was hoping someone might be able to help me with (poked around in the forums a bit, but didn't see anything on these):
When using a move action to enter the Ecto-1: Do you need to start adjacent to the Ecto-1 to use a move action to enter the car (equivalently, you loose the move action in order to perform a standard maneuver), or can you enter with a move action by ending your move on one of the spaces occupied by the Ecto-1 (assuming that your approach took your character through one of the four side spaces)?

When using a move action to exit the Ecto-1: Similar to above, do you trade your move for a maneuver (you exit and place your character outside the Ecto-1, and then you cannot move further on the same action), or can you complete your move action (i.e. you exit the Ecto-1 into an appropriate space and then move into another square if desired)?

When playing with more than four players: If all four spaces next to the Ecto-1 are occupied by other Ghostbusters, are you still unable to exit the car? My read of the rules would say no (my only thought is that typically you can always walk through other Ghostbusters using a move action, so what if you are using a move action to exit the Ecto-1, rather than a maneuver?)

Thanks in advance!

Werechicken
03-14-2016, 05:00 AM
When using a move action to enter the Ecto-1: Do you need to start adjacent to the Ecto-1 to use a move action to enter the car (equivalently, you loose the move action in order to perform a standard maneuver), or can you enter with a move action by ending your move on one of the spaces occupied by the Ecto-1 (assuming that your approach took your character through one of the four side spaces)?
You are allowed one maneuver, these do not count towards move actions.

As long as you have a maneuver left when your character is adjacent to the Ecto, you can get in. This can be before or after your move action.

When using a move action to exit the Ecto-1: Similar to above, do you trade your move for a maneuver (you exit and place your character outside the Ecto-1, and then you cannot move further on the same action), or can you complete your move action (i.e. you exit the Ecto-1 into an appropriate space and then move into another square if desired)?

The maneuver takes you in and out of the vehicle. So the move action starts after you are already outside of the vechile, letting you move two spaces.

When playing with more than four players: If all four spaces next to the Ecto-1 are occupied by other Ghostbusters, are you still unable to exit the car? My read of the rules would say no (my only thought is that typically you can always walk through other Ghostbusters using a move action, so what if you are using a move action to exit the Ecto-1, rather than a maneuver?)

You can move through them. But if there is nowhere to end your turn without a Ghostbuster on the space, then no, you are stuck in the Ecto.

pjvedder
03-14-2016, 05:26 PM
You are allowed one maneuver, these do not count towards move actions.
As long as you have a maneuver left when your character is adjacent to the Ecto, you can get in. This can be before or after your move action.

I don't think he's referring to the Maneuver to get in/out of the Ecto-1, but rather an Action (in which you move your character) that puts you in the Ecto-1.

As stated in the rule book:

Note: A Ghostbuster may also enter or exit the vehicle through a Move Action, following the same rules as the Maneuver. You are not forced to use a Maneuver to enter/exit the Ecto-1

Now, I don't have any specific answers to the original question, but I wanted to clear that up, and also because I'm curious to know the answers.

Jaranian
03-14-2016, 06:14 PM
You've got it, pjvedder, thank you for adding in the detail for me! That's the section on sheet 15 that I was looking at/wondering about.

And thanks for the quick response, Werechicken, sorry I wasn't clear in my original post.

Werechicken
03-16-2016, 06:02 AM
Thanks, I didn't realize you could just do it as a move action. We both learned something.

BradBosshart
03-18-2016, 12:38 PM
I guess that is if you got out, busted a ghost but had to get back into the Ecto again to drive somewhere.

Werechicken
03-21-2016, 11:40 AM
Or if you want to deposit ghosts and get in/out of the ecto.

Meankeb
03-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Or, get into the Ecto, out of the Ecto and back into the Ecto. /letsdance

Werechicken
03-22-2016, 04:53 AM
#letsdance

sara.miguel
03-22-2016, 08:50 AM
Or, get into the Ecto, out of the Ecto and back into the Ecto. /letsdance

Gotta love a good use of the /emote.

Werechicken
03-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Sara, you have to be pushing for Yeti, or at least bigfoot in this game, right?

sara.miguel
03-22-2016, 02:27 PM
Sara, you have to be pushing for Yeti, or at least bigfoot in this game, right?

You mean this dude?

Maybe a little...;)

I'll be honest though, other than relaying what the community at large is interested in, I personally don't have any say in what goes up there (not that I should, this is about you guys!).

ItchyAaron
03-23-2016, 04:54 AM
If that's the case, let it be noted that I was an early requestor of the Yeti/Bigfoot ghost. I would still love to see one in the game!

LeonBuster
03-27-2016, 02:44 PM
Hello,
"At the end of each Ghostbuster's turn, all Spawns of Cathulhu move 1 space towards the nearest Ghostbuster."
Should the Ghostbuster be in line of sight of Cathulhu?

ItchyAaron
03-28-2016, 06:23 AM
Hello,
"At the end of each Ghostbuster's turn, all Spawns of Cathulhu move 1 space towards the nearest Ghostbuster."
Should the Ghostbuster be in line of sight of Cathulhu?

From the Web Appendix: "When a Spawn of Cathulhu moves towards a Ghostbuster and is blocked by a terrain, it moves along the shortest path possible. When there is a tie for paths that are the same distance, determine one randomly."

I just looked over the ghost card and the Web Appendix. Given that they follow the shortest path around obstacles, I would play that they do not need Line Of Sight (LOS) to the Ghostbusters to move toward them. A Spawn of Cathulu across the board from all the 'busters would start moving toward them right away. If Mataio or any other CZ employee contradicts me, then go with what they say. :)

LeonBuster
03-28-2016, 09:25 AM
Thank you very much Aaron.
They are scary ;)

BennyBroca
04-09-2016, 06:25 AM
Ok, so big question, when sandman teleports at the end of round, do you lose any streams attached to him? Because he teleported NEARER to the stream projecting GB. Its not stated in any ruleset I can find. Thanks

Meankeb
04-09-2016, 08:25 AM
I would say that Line of Sight trumps, and as he never left 3 square range, you get to keep the stream.

ItchyAaron
04-13-2016, 06:07 PM
I have a question from Scenario 4 of the Sedgewick Scramble campaign. In order to win you have to summon and defeat Big Boogaloo. On the Big Boogaloo card it says that "When two Boogaloo Manifestations occupy the same space, remove both from the scenario and place Big Boogaloo (from outside the scenario) into that space." The Special in the scenario states, "Closing the last Open Gate moves all ghosts on the map to the Spirit World, except for (Big) Boogaloo"

My question is this: Is getting two Boogaloo Manifestations to meet the ONLY way to summon Big Boogaloo? Or does he emerge if you close all the gates? If he emerges when you close the gates, does he emerge from the last gate closed? The Special does not state that he emerges when all gates are closed...

Thanks!

Meankeb
04-13-2016, 06:21 PM
We had been playing that if you closed all the gates, and he had not been summoned, you lose.

coolredrooster
04-14-2017, 09:33 PM
I know this is a dumb question, but i don't understand Venkman's second ability and how to use it.

Matt_Hyra
04-14-2017, 09:41 PM
I know this is a dumb question, but i don't understand Venkman's second ability and how to use it.

From game #1? [edited] This is a mandatory ability that only works during Venkman's turn. So it typically happens when he shoots an Entity and that Entity causes a Sliming. If a GB adjacent to Venkman gets Slimed during Venkman's turn, Venkman and that GB swap spaces, and that other GB does not get Slimed. Note that Venkman could become Slimed twice during the same event when using this ability.

stevenbiggie
04-18-2017, 09:36 AM
Matt I think he means Venkman's Updated 2nd ability Which is "Once during Your turn if an adjacent Ghostbuster would get slimed , swap spaces with that ghostbuster and you get slimed instead." This ability is not optional meaning you don't get to decide weather or not your want to switch spaces with the adjacent Ghostbuster it is mandatory that you do. you can also get an XP point from Venkmans first ability when his second ability is completed.

The second ability your talking about Matt I don't believe was in the final print of the game and was changed for whatever reason to the ability I just posted. Not sure if what you meant by the first game was being the unreleased test copy that was used before it was officially released to the public. If that's what you meant you are correct, but that ability as we know was not in the final product.

stevenbiggie
05-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the Edit Matt That's the correct ability coolredrooster was talking about.

()() SAMHAIN.