PDA

View Full Version : Economic/expanded gameplay addition

MattMurdock
12-10-2015, 03:05 PM
So I had a random thought that it might be cool if you could expand the gameplay beyond just the ghost busting to actually have to run the business aswell? i.e. each mission or ghost you bust is worth a set amount i.e. $200 for a class 1, but each time you "miss" a ghost you take a damage token (cause that proton beam has to go somewhere right?), and for each damage token the team has they loses $100 from the final payout for the job. Inbetween missions players can choose to each draw a single chance card (to represent what their character might have got upto inbetween the jobs) which has real life things (and from the films) that could gain or lose you money, or XP points. e.g. You go to an orchestra performance, spend $50. Or, you repair Ecto 1's brakes, spend $50 but gain 1XP. Or, You appear on a TV show, gain $150.

The goal could be that the team has to raise X amount of money in a set number of missions in order to upgrade the containment unit to meet some new standard that Peck is introducing, otherwise they will be shut down. You could have a shuffled deck of missions to play from and each turn the team draws 3 cards and chooses one to attend, so you would have to balance if you go for a cheap easy job, or that really tough, but potentially lucrative job.

What do you guys think? :)

Mataio_Wilson
12-11-2015, 11:18 AM
Hi MattMurdock,

I like it. I look forward to seeing some samples of the "chance" cards and items to spend your hard earned cash on.

Mataio Wilson
Lead Design, Ghostbusters: The Board Game

BradBosshart
12-11-2015, 01:18 PM
This is similar to the old Atari video game, where you had to raise somuch money. Hmmm....

Werechicken
12-11-2015, 08:51 PM
I like the idea.

Of course, I like it more if they get to spend the money on improved tech.

See also the latest Video Game.

MattMurdock
12-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Here are some upgrade card ideas. Note that the header e.g. proton pack is the type of upgrade and that you (a Ghostbuster) cant have more than one type of each type upgrade (except for Ecto-1, which can have two). So you couldnt have two proton pack upgrades. The prices are just ballpark to show how expensive vs each other they can be. Also, in order for traps to be upgradable I came up with two ideas - one is that standard traps can only hold 7 classes worth of ghosts combined, or 3 individual ghosts, whichever limit comes first, and that every time you trap a ghost you must roll a proton dice and get a result that is equal or higher than the combined ghost class level already in the trap - otherwise the traps integrity fails and all the ghosts already in the trap come out!. (So it makes busting multiple ghosts with full traps more risky!)

Proton Pack: Overcharged cyclotron - your combat line of sight is increased by one (to a maximum of 4). $1000
Proton Pack: Calibrated capture beam - When rolling a hit result where a ghost would move towards you, you may instead move the ghost in any direction. $500
Proton Pack: Ion disruptors - When attacking a ghost, reduce the number of streams required to capture it by 1 $1400
Proton Pack: Fine tuned emitter - You may add +1 to your combat rolls $1200

Ghost trap: High voltage capacitors - you may store upto to 6 Ghosts in a trap (upto a combined class level of 7). Add +1 to your trap integrity rolls. $500
Ghost trap: Interference insulation - your trap is immune to special effects (e.g. leaking ghosts, reduced integrity effects) $500

Ecto-1: Proton blaster - instead of getting into Ecto-1, a single character may use a manuver to man the Proton blaster on the roof. This acts as a dual proton stream (rolls 2 dice simultaniously) adding a stream from the character for each hit. Misses are resolved as a single miss. The character is treated as outside; but ontop of the vehicle, even though their miniature is placed on the Ecto-1 card. Apart from shooting, the character is subject to the same restrictions and rules (e.g sliming) as characters travelling inside the vehicle. $2000
Ecto-1: Slime-shield - Characters inside the Ecto-1 are immune to additional slime whilst in the vehicle $1500
Ecto-1: Supercharger - Ecto-1 may now move 8 spaces. $250
Ecto-1: Feedback pulse - A character inside Ecto-1 may spend an action to trigger a feedback pulse. All ghosts (class 4 or less) within 2 squares move 2 spaces directly away from Ecto-1. $400
Ecto-1: Distraction beam - A character inside Ecto-1 may spend an action to trigger a distraction beam at a ghost in line of sight. This triggers a "when missed" result on that ghost. $400

(see Slimeblower thread for details)
Slimeblower: Auxilary tanks - Your positively charged slime capacity increases from 6 to 9 tokens. $600
Slimeblower: Freeflow nozzle - You may increase the number of slime tokens placed by 1. $500
Slimeblower: Pressure booster - You may place 'adjacent' slime tokens beyond your line of sight. $550

Jumpsuit: Absorbant polymers - You may discard 1 slime from yourself for free each turn $600
Jumpsuit: Repellent polymers - You may discard the first slime token dealt to you in a turn. $800

Other gear:
Ecto Goggles: You may add +1 to your proton rolls $500
PKE Meter: As an action you may "scan" a ghost in line of sight, gain 1XP. Place a PKE token under the ghost, any ghostbusters who attack this ghost may add 1 to their combat roll. $800

MattMurdock
12-11-2015, 11:46 PM
Chance cards:

You go an see an Orchestra performance, spend $50.

You make a guest appearance at a birthday party, gain $50.

You make a TV commercial. Pay $150 but draw 4 job cards on the next round.

EPA inspection, roll a dice.
4-6 You bluff them off, gain 1XP.
1-3 Pay a $200 fine.

You spend some time tinkering with equiptment, roll a dice:
4-6: Save $100 off an upgrade purchase
1-3: You fried it, lose $100.

You make toast. Roll a dice.
4-6 nothing happens.
1-3 You get mad and the toaster eats your hand. Lose 1XP.

You babysit for a friend, roll a dice:
4-6 Nothing happens
1-3 You get busted making out with a date, lose 1XP.

BradBosshart
12-12-2015, 04:59 PM
Wow Matt, you are going to town!

Werechicken
12-13-2015, 06:47 PM
Seriously, I love all of this!

MattMurdock
12-17-2015, 06:59 PM
Another chance card idea.
You investigate a disturbance under a street. Roll a dice:
4-6, You successfully bust the troublesome ghoul, gain 1XP and $200.
1-3, You accidentally knock out power to half the city, lose 1XP and get fined $500.

MattMurdock
12-17-2015, 07:09 PM
Im hoping that if an automated mission creater was created that we can tie in the input options to generate "job cards" that you pull to choose from. Things I would like to be able to set are:
Max ghost level in mission (class)
Number of ghosts in spirit world ( <5, 6-8, 9+)
Number of ghosts on the map (<5, 6-8, 9-12, 13+)
Number of open gates (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Then we could add, cash payment (for closing all gates), with an extra set fee (depending on class) for each ghost trapped during the mission.

Werechicken
12-17-2015, 09:13 PM
I REALLY want the equipment mechanic in the expansion.

MattMurdock
12-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Equiptment card:
Trap - Portable dimensionometer
Once per turn you may spend an action to return a single ghost from your card to the spirit world.
Heavy - You may move a maximum of 1 space per movement action.

The_Xavious
01-04-2016, 12:46 AM
Ok, I've been thinking over an equipment system for a while now, and I think I finally have a pretty cool setup. Basically, you level it up, as a way to pretty much keep your character progressing after you hit level 30. There's some room for adjustment for this, but basically I'm thinking you'd need an investment of 5 XP that maybe you stockpile at your discretion, and that is used to get your first piece of equipment, later on maybe you can buy a second piece of equipment for 10 XP.

Equipment has five levels (use character XP chart), and requires a Charge to use. Each one starts with one Charge token on it and you initially have no way to get Charges back. Once you sink enough XP into the equipment to bring it to level 2, the equipment will have its own way to let you roll for a Charge.

Rolling for a Charge means you roll a d6, if its at least a 6 (subject to change) you put a Charge token on it, with a maximum of only one Charge, initially. As it levels up, maximum Charge increases and you get a guaranteed chance to roll for Charge each round.

Whenever you gain XP you may choose to either put it to your character, or onto one piece of equipment. Probably a maximum of two pieces of equipment.

Yeah, you won't be using the equipment often, and maybe it needs some tweaks to the numbers so Charges aren't quite as rare, but the general idea is that they aren't supposed to be used often, since, generally speaking, in the comics they rarely used the non-standard equipment very long when they did use it, plus if it doesn't make huge, frequent changes to the game, its probably less likely to completely break down the game play and turn it into something over-complicated and un-fun.

EDIT: Maybe players could forfeit all actions to get a chance to roll for Charge, sort of like removing slime from themselves?

Also, yeah, I totally am reusing level 5 and level 2 abilities, because they can be so easily reinterpreted and they are field tested abilities to give to a player. For the level 2 emulating abilities, saying "As a character Ability", the intent there is that you can't use both this and your regular level 2 in the same turn, its a one or the other type of thing. The level 5 emulating abilities might just take up a maneuver, pending some input and testing.

I'll come up with more later, right now I just want to get my basic idea written out, then I'm going to try and come up with some card designs for them later this week.

===
Ectoplasmic Running Shoes

Level 1: Remove a Charge from this Equipment: Until the end of your turn, increase your Move Actions by 1 space.

Level 2: Whenever you take two Actions in a single turn that aren't Move Actions, roll for Charge.

Level 3: +1 Maximum Charge

Level 4: At the end of each Round, roll for Charge.

Level 5: +1 Maximum Charge
===
Boson Cannon

Level 1: Remove a Charge from this Equipment: Until the end of your turn, whenever you have a Proton Roll resulting in at least 6, add an additional Stream on that target.

Level 2: Whenever you spend two Actions in a single turn that aren't Combat Actions, roll for Charge.

===
P.K.E. Meter

Level 1: Remove a Charge from this Equipment: Until the end of your turn, you may Reroll the Movement Die once per failed Proton Roll.

Level 2: Whenever a Ghost moves adjacent to you, roll for Charge.

===
Ecto Goggles

Level 1: Remove a Charge from this Equipment: Until the end of your turn, Ghosts adjacent to you do not block your Line of Sight.

Level 2: Whenever a Ghost moves out of your Line of Sight, roll for Charge.

===
Stream Stabilizer

Level 1: Remove a Charge from this Equipment: Until the end of your turn, your Line of Sight is increased by 1 space.

Level 2: Whenever another Ghostbuster traps a Ghost with your Stream on it, roll for a Charge.

===
Mega Trap

Level 1: Remove a Charge from this Equipment: Until the end of your turn, all Ghosts with your Stream on them require 1 less Stream to trap.

Level 2: Whenever you deposit at least 3 combined Ghost Classes at a time, roll for Charge.

===
Slime Resistent Boots

Level 1: Remove a Charge from this Equipment: Until the end of your turn, if you get Slimed, you may move 1 space.

Level 2: Whenever you trap a Ghost that is at maximum Line of Sight, roll for a Charge.

===
Tobin's Spirit Guide

Level 1: Remove a Charge from this Equipment: As a character Ability, once during your turn, you may re-roll a failed Proton Roll.

Level 2: Whenever you trap more than 1 Ghost in a single turn, roll for Charge.

===
Proton Charged Sword (Was seen in IDW's Displaced Aggression story arc, a medieval Ray was using it and it was awesome)

Level 1: Remove a Charge from this Equipment: As a character Ability, once during your turn, you may take a free Combat Action against a Ghost adjacent to you.

Level 2: Whenever you trap a Ghost adjacent to you, roll for Charge.

===

MattMurdock
01-04-2016, 01:20 AM
Part of the thing that I think makes the game really successful is the simplicity in the gameplay mechanics, whilst I think that equiptment is an integral part of Ghostbusters I did consider some sort of use system similar to the charges you suggest but found it too complex to avoid bogging down the actual gaming part - basically if my wife gets confused then its no longer fun. Hence why I suggest one off upgrade purchases that simply boost stats.
I am still in the process of building these lists of equiptment and chance cards for anyone who has been following, have just been busy over Christmas/New Years :)

The_Xavious
01-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Yeah, my setup probably would slow things down quite a bit, but I'm kinda disappointed with how early on some characters could reach level 5 in a campaign and then are stuck with no room to advance. This is sort of like an epic level continuation, plus you could also potentially keep the equipment between campaigns while your character level resets.

But I'm happy to hear you're still working on yours, I'm excited to see it, should make longer campaigns fun, but I have a question; do you have something in place to make it so gaining XP still matters after you hit level five? You can get up to level 3 in a single scenario without having to really work at it.

MattMurdock
01-04-2016, 11:55 AM
But I'm happy to hear you're still working on yours, I'm excited to see it, should make longer campaigns fun, but I have a question; do you have something in place to make it so gaining XP still matters after you hit level five? You can get up to level 3 in a single scenario without having to really work at it.

I think the key here is scenario design. Most of the existing campaigns are designed with missions that can be "farmed" for XP, with the intent that by the 4th level that you will be level 5 to combat the boss. It seems to be the scope of the game, and that is fair enough. To change that then to provide a longer experience means either 1) changing the rate of gaining xp, 2) changing the scenarios to have less spare XP for players to soak up, or 3) providing ways to lose XP from characters.

I am interested with tinkering with 1) but a small amount and after looking at the changes that 2 and 3 can make. The chance cards already provide a way to lose small amounts of xp, but there are ghosts like the spectral GB's that can do this also, so more effects like this can be built in.

Looking at the scenarios though, one of the things I would like to do for this "job mode" would be to have smaller missions, rather than the huge missions in the original campaigns. These smaller jobs might only be 4 tiles in size, with a handful of ghosts and a single gate (if any), so the focus is more on the skill of playing well to capture the ghosts that exist (to get cash) before they move on (or cause too much damage).
This would reduce the xp that players can farm so make the game longer, but also by introducing cash it gives that second element that goes beyond xp that you were looking for, characters who are at level 5 still want to earn money for upgrades.

revel911
01-17-2016, 09:42 PM
Matt,

I would love to work with you to bring these to life? I am senior designer with 16 years in marketing and business and I love helping out similar hobbiest make this a better game.

Ideally, I am looking to do three things:
Equipment Upgrades
I love your idea of chance cards ..... nice and thematic
Some kind of a random event card that could happen when a gate is closed (earthquake like in Ghostbusters 1, something ...."

Here are the cards I made for Zombicide.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9Hhx1yXlz-Ofl9wZmJlbVBqZjN5QUZ4RUZEbWtaMVRaTm95YzJPR25rR0hib 0dYQWhxbDQ&usp=sharing

MattMurdock
01-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Hey Revel911, that sounds really cool - I don't have any graphic design ability hahaha :D
What I might do is start colating all the ideas for the cards and upgrades into one list, I have a few more to add too!

revel911
01-18-2016, 07:14 PM
Hey Revel911, that sounds really cool - I don't have any graphic design ability hahaha :D
What I might do is start colating all the ideas for the cards and upgrades into one list, I have a few more to add too!

I have been fighting not selling the game because I love the theme, but it lacks purpose and depth ..... this is what I need.

MattMurdock
01-18-2016, 10:04 PM
I had another thought about something that could be included, and that is Reputation. (On a scale of 0 - 7 or so).
Basically when you complete a job successfully, you can a reputation point, if you botch one, then you lose rep. If at any point you reach 0 reputation then Peck will shut you down.
If we had players able to use rep to influence cash - i.e. choose not to pay for damages on a job, lose 1 rep point. Or only charge half the amount for a job, gain a rep point, players could have yet another way to gain cash, or continue from a failed job, but still have a penalty to deal with.

The_Xavious
01-19-2016, 01:55 AM
I had a similar idea towards your Reputation idea: Favors. Essentially a get out of jail free card, you can call in a favor to make bad thing go away, things like negating/reducing damage fines, avoiding jail time (assuming theres like some sort of between scenario events), stopping Peck from doing a field inspection, things like that. Ways to earn Favor could be like doing a bust for charity, helping Mayor Lenny's campaign somehow, do some sort of publicity stunt, etc. Essentially giving up in game time and/or money to gain favors. A lot of it would be subject to how everything else is set up, as far as events and money go.

I think something like would be neat.

I also had an idea for a type of event card or scenario modifier: R&D Grants. They basically give you a set of goals to complete in a scenario and reward you with money towards upgrading/buying equipment or possibly giving you new equipment (however that works). The basic premise is these could be some third party investors willing to invest only if you can show them that you'll do something with it. As Ray put it: "I've worked the private sector. They expect results."

Some examples:
Collect ectoplasmic samples - Win a scenario with 4 or more slime tokens on the Ghostbusters.
Add entries to a new spirit guide - Win a scenario with a Class 1, 2, and 3 ghost in your traps.
Field test a new prototype - Trap a class 3 or greater ghost on your own using [Some specific equipment].
Thesis on extradimensional portals - Be adjacent to a gate when it gets closed.

The goals could probably be made more complex than this, but these are just a rough idea.

revel911
01-19-2016, 03:59 PM
I had another thought about something that could be included, and that is Reputation. (On a scale of 0 - 7 or so).
Basically when you complete a job successfully, you can a reputation point, if you botch one, then you lose rep. If at any point you reach 0 reputation then Peck will shut you down.
If we had players able to use rep to influence cash - i.e. choose not to pay for damages on a job, lose 1 rep point. Or only charge half the amount for a job, gain a rep point, players could have yet another way to gain cash, or continue from a failed job, but still have a penalty to deal with.

Thinking of starting at reputation 2ish?

Also, could this alter the amount paid during missions? or additional complications that happen during missions showing harder jobs?

The_Xavious
01-19-2016, 05:45 PM
I could see new elements opening up as rep raises. Peck didn't show up until they got enough attention to have the government take notice in the movie, having enough rep could have people more willing to help you (suppose a part of a scenario gets opened up/closed off depending on how willing the police are to close off a street for you).

revel911
01-21-2016, 10:19 PM
I like that idea. Too little reputation they can not use/maintain upgraded equipment .... to much and they get noticed by too many people.

Crazy1van
01-31-2016, 07:16 AM
Suppose there's not a fixed price for Class 1s, etc. but instead a Job Card tells you how much you get for the captured ghost(s), with different values on each card. With a higher Rep you can draw two or three cards and select the one you choose to present to the city (or client) for the bill.

As for XP mattering after reaching L5, I've played with the idea of situations in which Ghosts could have means of causing damage in the form of costing an injured Ghostbuster 1 XP. My custom character card for me has an L5 ability that gives all Ghostbusters +1 to proton rolls, but also all Ghostbusters lose 1 XP when pushed while they're already Slimed. I may change it so the +1 is only against Ghosts (not for Gates) and the -1 XP is only when getting pushed when you have 3 Slime tokens.

I'd also love a way to spend XP to buy +1 to a critical roll or to buy a reroll, sort of like the Brownie Points system from the old RPG, but I haven't played enough times to get a feel for what would be worth losing XP. Perhaps this would be something that can only be done by L5s and only with excess XP.