PDA

View Full Version : Character and mission creator.

twolfe
12-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Is it possible to get an interactive pdf for a character and mission creator?

The_Xavious
12-13-2015, 04:33 PM
An automated mission generator is being worked on. Character generator is a bit more tricky since the game wasn't really designed for custom characters. Try mixing up the various abilities for characters though, if you want some variety.

Werechicken
12-13-2015, 06:37 PM
Oh I will be creating customer characters.

I think it would be cool if we all came up with some extra character abilities.

I mean, I guess there's only going to be so many things they can affect, right?

1. Slime Tokens
2. Proton Streams
3. Actions
4. LoS
5. Movement

The_Xavious
12-13-2015, 09:15 PM
Pretty much. There's a certain format to them though, from what I can tell.

Level 1 bonus xp generally is something that doesn't happen too often or too easily, and generally is something that can only happen on your turn, though a few of the bonus characters can gain xp when it isn't their turn.

Ideas:

Whenever a ghost with 2 or more of your streams on it is trapped, you gain 1 XP.
Whenever a ghost slimes you on another player's turn, gain 1 XP.
Whenever you spend an action to remove slime from yourself, gain 1 XP.
Whenever an adjacent Ghostbuster gets slimed, gain 1XP.
Whenever you make a successful combat roll while you have at least one slime on yourself, gain 1 XP.

Level 2 abilities generally help with turn efficiency by either giving you an extra action (or equivelent) or making your actions more effective.

Ray gets a slime removed for free, meaning he doesn't have to have a dead turn, Egon gets to re-roll a failed proton roll, meaning he's less likely, to waste an attack, Winston gets a free, upgraded deposit trap action, which basically saves him two actions. Peter kind of throws things off because he can save another from losing an action from getting slimed, but that gives him XP and Ray a slime to remove for XP, so there's that.

Ideas:

Once during your turn, you may transfer a slime from a Ghostbuster within line of sight to yourself.
Once per round, when a ghost within line of sight would move towards the nearest Ghostbuster, or the Ghostbuster targeting it, it moves towards you instead.
Once during your turn, when you make a Combat Action against a ghost in line of sight, you may move 1 square for free before you make the attack. You still have to remain within line of sight of the ghost.
Once during your turn, if you have a slime counter on you, you may add an additional stream on a ghost you hit.
Once during your turn, when you make a successful Proton Roll against an adjacent ghost, you may add an additional proton stream.
Once during your turn, you may remove slime from an adjacent Ghostbuster for free.

Level 4 abilities are all based on a hit, usually with some extra condition, and most of them let you have an extra action.

Ideas:

When you hit a ghost: You may move a willing Ghostbuster one square.
When you hit a ghost while you have a slime token on you: You may take another combat action against any ghost.
When you hit a ghost adjacent to another Ghostbuster: That ghostbuster may immediately move one square before you resolve any On Hit or On Trap effects.
When you hit a ghost: You may move an adjacent ghost one square.

Level 5s seem hard. They're small bonuses for everyone and the basics are pretty much covered pretty thoroughly between the nine ghostbusters.

There's some ideas of varying quality to work with, hope they help.

Werechicken
12-14-2015, 07:19 AM
These are all really good.

I'll have to review them in more detail.

You can use the reasoning for why each character gets what, but I agree, there's only so many things it can do.

Without creating new technology, there's not much more to add.

fubbajub
12-14-2015, 08:39 AM
I was thinking a Level 5 ability could be: "All LEVEL 5 Ghostbusters require one less stream token to trap." or "All Ghostbusters require one less stream token to trap Class 3 or lower ghosts." Basically, all Class 1 ghosts can be caught automatically, once in line of sight (still need to spend an action to trap.)

EDIT: To clarify for the second wording of the ability above, No Stream = No XP, just for emergency capturing to refill the spirit world.

Also, another ability could be "Each Ghostbuster may dodge one slime attempt per turn by moving to adjacent square, if available." So, they could easily dodge a Galloping Ghoul, for instance, but a Gruesome Twosome's random roll, or an adjacent Boogaloo Manifestation could hit them for at least 1 slime token.

Werechicken
12-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Thats interesting.

The level 5 abilities are the ones to have a lot of fun with

sara.miguel
12-14-2015, 11:59 AM
I know this is something we toyed around with idea-wise (custom character generator), but we fear with licensing and some of the more unsavory internet types, that it could be misused.

The random scenario generator is almost done from what I am told, and I think it's pretty slick. It's been a while since I've seen it, will be interesting to see if there are any major changes.

Werechicken
12-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I mean, we can already make out own customer characters. We don't really need help.

Mataio_Wilson
12-14-2015, 06:04 PM
Hi Xavious,

You get pretty close to the variant abilities we tested with the current Ghostbusters! Most things we shelved were too powerful, or messed with the base math of the game. Some were too situation specific, while other were used every turn. Abilities that required you to be Slimed had issues with the player feeling they always had one less Action. Keep em coming, though, very inspiring!

Mataio Wilson
Lead Design, Ghostbusters: The Board Game

The_Xavious
12-15-2015, 02:14 AM
Hah, nice! I'm getting a pretty good feel for the game, and I think I got a pretty good head for game design.

I can imagine what you mean for mechanics requiring you to be slimed, would need some good support from the other abilities and players to make the most of it, and even then I think you'd almost be forced to use certain characters in pairs, which really isn't very fun.

Best application for slime required abilities would, I think, be a level 2 that gives you some sort of ever useful free action with a level 4 that trips when you have slime, gives you better turn efficiency early on and lets you fight through the times you do get slimed. Combine that with a level 1 somehow related to getting slimed (or putting yourself in situations that generally get you slimed) and I think you could have a pretty solid character.

It seems to me that Ray's level 2 is a pretty good baseline to compare different level 2 abilities to. While not always applicable, its always there letting you know you won't have a dead turn or as insurance for a risky play.

To me, the character's level 2 is pretty much their defining aspect regarding how you use them and what separates them from the others, while their level 4's are just extensions of their level 1, more or less, as you can typically use them when you are in a situation where you'd most likely be able to get the bonus XP.

I can definitely see moving the ghosts around being a game breaking ability though, since they only move when something specifically triggers them otherwise, and its generally at one or two squares at a time.

That reminds me though, does Ortiz's level 4 still trigger the On Hit effect? I would think not, but On Hit effects don't seem to specifically look for a stream added, rather just a successful Proton roll.

Thanks for looking over my ideas!

Couple more ideas:

Level1
Whenever a ghost moves adjacent to you on your turn, you gain 1 XP.

Level 2
Once per round, if a ghost would move move through your space, that ghost stops its movement instead. You still get slimed.
When you spend a turn to remove slime from yourself, you may move one square for free.
When you spend a turn to remove slime from yourself, you may remove an additional slime.
Once during your turn, you may add +1 to your Proton roll against an adjacent ghost.
Once during your turn, you may add +1 to your Proton roll against a ghost at max line of sight.
Once per round, when another Ghostbuster takes a Move action, you may add +1 to their move speed.

Level 4
When you hit an adjacent ghost: All other Ghostbusters add +1 to their Proton rolls against ghosts adjacent to you.
When you hit a ghost: All other Ghostbusters add +1 to their Proton rolls against that ghost.

Werechicken
12-15-2015, 04:54 AM
That reminds me though, does Ortiz's level 4 still trigger the On Hit effect? I would think not, but On Hit effects don't seem to specifically look for a stream added, rather just a successful Proton roll.

Might be better to ask in the facts

OneBigTwinkie
12-26-2015, 05:29 AM
I originally posted this 03-26-2015 under the Custom Characters (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=42058&page=2) thread. You may find it helpful:

Breaking down the presented characters...

1. ...GAIN XP - Many of these abilities are things all Ghostbusters can do as actions (attack targets, deposit ghosts, remove slime, trap a ghost, etc.), with conditional adjustments for the sake of balance and parity. A few are dependent on the actions of Ghosts (being summoned line of sight, moving adjacent to a Ghostbuster, sliming a Ghostbuster). A couple are based on random rolls (a one in six chance).

2. ONCE DURING YOUR TURN... - Many of these abilities are an additional instance of what Ghostbusters can do as an action (attack targets, deposit ghosts, remove slime, trap a ghost, etc.), with conditional adjustments for the sake of balance and parity. A few are additional "other" actions, such as Move or Free actions. A couple of the abilities alter the probability of the roll, such as adding 1 to the roll or re-rolling a failed roll.

3. PLUS ONE ACTION. For everyone.

4. WHEN YOU MAKE A SUCCESSFUL COMBAT ROLL... - A few of these abilities are personal combat buffs (best of two combat dice, free combat action, splash damage to an adjacent Ghost). One is a combat buff to allies. A couple allow players to control the battlefield (change places, forced movement of a Ghost), a free move action, or the ability remove a slime at range. Prediction is the only weird one out of the bunch, which allows a 1 in 6 chance of adding to combat roll. The only ability that does not appear is a "free action" for a successful combat roll (likely excluded because it would be too wordy).

5. ALL PLAYERS/GHOSTBUSTERS... These abilities benefit ALL players or Ghostbusters. These abilities let the players bend the rules, granting the ability to attack around targets, cancel events, combat buffs, extra damage, extra range and movement, get a bonus to hit when they miss, move when slimed, reroll 1s, and reroll ghost movement dice.

I think CZ did a great job, but in the framework of the current rules, I don't think there is much more you could eke out any more abilities.

However, you can reshuffle what is present.

I've mounted the character abilities on to color index cards corresponding with character level. When you advance to that level, you can draw a card. Therefore, each game you play with a new "character" drawn from the ability deck. Or, using the abilities, you can "build" a new character each scenario. Easy peasy.

I haven't played in a scenario where the characters are level four yet, but I plan on playtestng the following three "house ruled" abilities:

When you make a sucessful Combat Roll, you may transfer any number of trapped Ghosts to or from an adjacent Ghostbuster OR enter the Ecto-1 from an adjacent space from within Combat Range (sides only).
When you make a sucessful Combat Roll, you may transfer any number of trapped Ghosts to or from a Ghostbuster within line of sight.
When you make a sucessful Combat Roll, you may enter the Ecto-1 from an adjacent space from within Combat Range (sides only) and use Ecto-1 to take a free Move action.

The first ability can be used either way. The second and third are the first's abilities, but with expanded utility.

I only expect perhaps one of these (if any) to make the cut, as, depending on the scenario, they are of limited usefulness. (Leaning heavily towards the second trap-based ability)

Crazy1van
12-26-2015, 10:28 AM
I haven't play-tested it yet, but I'm curious about the Level 5 ability. I originally intended to make it a board-wide ability, but it also gave ghosts the ability to subtract XP from any Ghostbuster that is slimed or pushed. I thought it might trump too many other characters' abilities, as well as pissing off players that lose their L5 to being slimed. Any thoughts?

"All ghosts within your Line of Sight radius, regardless of obstructing terrain, require one less stream to defeat, to a minimum of 1."

Edit: I have since changed out that L5 with a +1 to all Hit Rolls, coupled with a -1 XP for any Ghostbuster that gets pushed while already slimed.

Skyknight
12-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Anyone else got an impossible mission from the automated random scenario generator?
I got one with zero ghosts in the spirit world, all gates open and no Ecto(or other place) to deposit trapped ghosts. That means the scenario is lost as soon as someone tries to close a gate and misses or at the end of the first round when no chaos symbol is rolled.

BradBosshart
12-27-2015, 08:57 PM
@Skyknight LOL that's fantastic! : )