PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Super Hero

LexLuthorJr
12-30-2015, 03:16 PM
I wanted to get some ideas on what everyone else is doing when it comes to choosing a Super Hero. When my playgroup begins a game, we shuffle all the Super Heroes, spread them on the table, each take between seven and ten, then choose our Super Hero from that selection.

The issue is that there are now over 70 Super Heroes to choose from. Does anyone have a better suggestion on how to use the "Take Ten, Pick One" method without spreading the oversized cards all over the table?

GuruGuru214
12-30-2015, 04:31 PM
Our group handles it with a ban/draft system. We roll for who gets first pick. The player to their right then starts off the first round of bans, counterclockwise around the table.. Everybody eliminates one Super Hero they don't want to have to play against. The last player (the one who won the roll) makes the last ban, then starts the first round of picks, which runs clockwise around the table, so the person who banned first picks last. We also play with two Super Heroes, so we do this again in reverse order (person who got first ban now gets last ban, etc.).

As for how we handle it without spreading cards all over the table (which I think would still work for your method), I took scans of the Super Heroes a while back and worked up a draft sheet (http://i.imgur.com/2Mkg3AJ.png). We put the sheets out on the table, and everyone just puts a token to mark off their ban/claim. I also put together a set of reference sheets (http://i.imgur.com/KQ2IHE9.png), so we can look over the card abilities on a few sheets instead of having to thumb through the whole deck of cards.

StormKing
12-30-2015, 08:23 PM
Ban+Pick is the way to go.

GuruGuru214
12-30-2015, 11:27 PM
Forgot to mention, we've also incorporated set selection into the draft phase. Whoever comes up second in the ban order gets to choose either the main set or the boss deck. The next person chooses what's left of the two, and the next person chooses what to add (one Crisis or Rivals, one Crossover, and whether to include Gotham City Docks). This one's more of a loose rule, though. We bend/break the order all the time if someone's feeling like playing a certain game.

LexLuthorJr
12-31-2015, 06:30 AM
Yeah, we don't do any of that. We'll play any Super Hero, really. We'll turn down the option to play a really good Super Hero just to play one we haven't played, don't play often, or that we just like the character. We play often enough that it isn't an issue. We all still win a fair amount of time. Just looking for a different way to do the "Take Ten, Play One" method.

GuruGuru214
12-31-2015, 03:54 PM
I'd probably suggest using a draft sheet, but instead of the ban tokens, make 10 "Player 1" tokens, 10 "Player 2" tokens, etc. It's basically laying out all 92 Super Hero cards, but the cards are all around one inch.

kshock68
12-31-2015, 04:02 PM
We just shuffle, deal out two, and players choose one.

But I like the ban-draft idea.

StormKing
12-31-2015, 04:08 PM
We just shuffle, deal out two, and players choose one.

But I like the ban-draft idea.

That's definitely a good way to start so people get used to different characters, but once people play for awhile it's fun to do ban-pick since you'll know a lot more about the game then.

Everyone has their varying opinions about which characters are OP or are terrible or whatever so it's also good to use so there's no complaining over "You just won because ____ is OP and I got _____". If you think it's OP, ban it, if you think it's bad, don't pick it. Granted people can get stuck with bad heroes if you're only playing with one set, so it's best to use this when you have at least 10 oversized heroes to play with. Also make sure you don't include Crisis heroes when playing competitive.

GuruGuru214
12-31-2015, 04:30 PM
We include the Crisis heroes, other than Cyborg and Shazam, and it works out pretty well for us. I wouldn't say there's no complaining over who got what, though. Sometimes people will not be paying attention, or they'll make their ban in a different direction, expecting someone else to take care of it, and Green Arrow will get through, and someone will get upset about it. I certainly heard quite a bit about it when I snagged Green Arrow/Sara Lance, edged out my friend with Harley Quinn/Chameleon Boy, and the player with Indigo-1/Wildcat couldn't keep up.

It can be a bit of a frustrating system, too. Every time we play Forever Evil, half the Super-Villains will get banned. Because nobody wants to put up with Bizarro, Harley Quinn, and Sinestro, we never get to play with them in their intended game. Same thing happens a bit with Crossover 3. Nobody wants to deal with someone else getting Phantom Girl when there's Time Travel in the deck. And I'm just as guilty of this as anybody.

It's fun too, though. It adds an extra level of strategy to the game. Trying to anticipate your opponents' next moves, using your second ban to counter their first pick. I've thought here and there about tweaking the way we run it, but for the most part, the system works well for our group.

StormKing
12-31-2015, 04:39 PM
We include the Crisis heroes, other than Cyborg and Shazam, and it works out pretty well for us. I wouldn't say there's no complaining over who got what, though. Sometimes people will not be paying attention, or they'll make their ban in a different direction, expecting someone else to take care of it, and Green Arrow will get through, and someone will get upset about it. I certainly heard quite a bit about it when I snagged Green Arrow/Sara Lance, edged out my friend with Harley Quinn/Chameleon Boy, and the player with Indigo-1/Wildcat couldn't keep up.

It can be a bit of a frustrating system, too. Every time we play Forever Evil, half the Super-Villains will get banned. Because nobody wants to put up with Bizarro, Harley Quinn, and Sinestro, we never get to play with them in their intended game. Same thing happens a bit with Crossover 3. Nobody wants to deal with someone else getting Phantom Girl when there's Time Travel in the deck. And I'm just as guilty of this as anybody.

It's fun too, though. It adds an extra level of strategy to the game. Trying to anticipate your opponents' next moves, using your second ban to counter their first pick. I've thought here and there about tweaking the way we run it, but for the most part, the system works well for our group.

I say that solely because they're not designed to be played in Competitive. The "CRISIS" before their name means they're specifically designed and tested as Co-Operative play characters.

GuruGuru214
01-01-2016, 02:15 AM
I say that solely because they're not designed to be played in Competitive. The "CRISIS" before their name means they're specifically designed and tested as Co-Operative play characters.

Makes sense. I know Crisis Black Canary is useless in competitive play, and Crisis Nightwing forces you to help out your opponents. Nobody ever chooses those ones, but we leave the option there. The only note about it in the Crisis rulebooks was that "Some Crisis Super Heroes are best left out of competitive games, however, as their abilities only help other players or are way too powerful (Cyborg/Shazam!)." So we pulled out Cyborg and Shazam, threw the rest in, and never looked back.

For the most part, we've found that the Crisis Super Heroes operate on a similar level to the non-Crisis cards. A few tend to be a little higher payout with a more difficult trigger, while others pair really well with their non-Crisis counterparts (Red Tornado in particular). And one of our players loves playing Crisis Aquaman and filling everyone's decks up with garbage. They may not be recommended for competitive play, and they may not work for every group, but we've had a great time with them.

That said, they haven't seen much action lately. We started tracking our games back in September, and in the 13 games we've played since, we've had only one time that a Crisis Super Hero was picked (Starfire) and one ban (Aquaman). Not sure why that is, except maybe that a lot more attention seems to be going to the Teen Titans and Crossover Super Heroes.

In case you're curious, our most banned Super Heroes are Green Arrow (banned in 8 of 13 games, banned in the 1st round 5 times), Sinestro (7 bans, 4 1st round bans), Harley Quinn (6 bans, all 6 in the 1st round), Bizarro (6 bans, 4 1st round bans), and cost 12 Joker from Rivals 1 (5 bans, oddly none in the 1st round).

Our picks seem to be more even, with the most being 5 picks for Harley Quinn (leaving only two games where nobody banned or picked her), and 4 picks each for Wonder Woman, Black Manta, and Chameleon Boy.

Our highest VP total goes to Red Robin and cost 12 Batman, with 94 (which was an absolutely brutal game of Teen Titans/Crisis 2/Crossover 1). In second, Phantom Girl is averaging 70.5 VP between two games, just ahead of Green Arrow in third, with an average of 69 VP to show for his two games. Our average winning VP is 65.85.

We...we might be taking this game a little too seriously. And I might need help for my spreadsheet problem...

Shadowzero
01-06-2016, 03:10 AM
Our group of 2-8 players Use a Pick one random hero then you have a chance to repick another random hero but then your stuck with it. This for us makes things interesting especially since we own all the super heroes available.

LexLuthorJr
01-06-2016, 11:49 AM
I'd probably suggest using a draft sheet, but instead of the ban tokens, make 10 "Player 1" tokens, 10 "Player 2" tokens, etc. It's basically laying out all 92 Super Hero cards, but the cards are all around one inch.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

GuruGuru214
01-06-2016, 05:19 PM
I missed the part where you shuffle the cards. I was thinking you placed them face up and made picks (in which case, this is what I would have recommended (http://i.imgur.com/ptScf6I.png)), not that you got 10 random ones and chose from that.

Your best bet to avoid spreading the cards on the table is probably to write out all the card names, toss them in a bag, and draw 10 from there.

I'm kind of big on adding custom materials to the game, so I'd probably take the same 1 inch card scans, print them on card stock, and cut them out to use for the drawing.

TanisFrey
01-13-2016, 04:50 PM
We tend to shuffle the oversize characters and then deal out to each player a number of Heroes equal to the number of players with one extra hand made and then draft. The Extra hand does not get drafted but anyone can take those heroes if they do not like their choices from the draft but they loose their chance to go first. If Flash is not being played, we then take 1 kick and a number weakness till we have a total number of cards equal to the eligible players. They get shuffled and placed face and people draw a card, the player with the kick starts.

GuruGuru214
01-13-2016, 04:53 PM
If Flash is not being played, we then take 1 kick and a number weakness till we have a total number of cards equal to the eligible players. They get shuffled and placed face and people draw a card, the player with the kick starts.

I used to do the same thing with a few vulnerabilities and one punch, until we added a D20 to the game box.

Shadowzero
01-13-2016, 11:23 PM
I use a D20 and sometimes 2 D 6's