PDA

View Full Version : Set Design - Gouda

PureVapes
01-07-2016, 10:52 AM
You may remember some card design contests I've run before, but I've been away for a while after getting a little tired of set 3. Back during set 1, while doing some card design in my spare time for fun though, I ended up working on creating an entire set, and over time I've finished the majority of it except for the multishard rare troops and quick actions. However, it turned out to be quite difficult to format these for the restrictions of the forums, so I'm not currently posting most of the commons and uncommons. I'd be happy to hear any feedback, ideas, or even a nod if you enjoyed something.

Block codename: Wedge
Set codename: Gouda
Theme: Each pair of allied shards decides to study their common enemy's strengths and use them to their advantage.

SRB - Innovation, Cunning, Hatred
Spellbound : X – When you play an action, this gets +X/+X.
This would not be a true keyword or ability word, but an unnamed theme mechanic.

RWD - Savagery, Conquest, Life
Blitz : C – C: Put this from your hand into play. This gets Speed and "At end of turn, sacrifice this" this turn.

WBS - Ancients, Instinct, Cunning
Link : X – When this enters play, target non-troop card in your hand gets cost -X until your next turn.
This would not be a true keyword or ability word, but an unnamed theme mechanic.

BDR - Retribution, Hatred, Conquest
Fling – When this enters play, the next troop that enters play under your control gets "When this enters play, you may sacrifice it."

DSW - Purpose, Life, Instinct
Guide – When this leaves play, you may void it. If you do, target troop gets all abilities of this troop other than Guide.

Legendary Unique Cycle

Acirema, the Windfury – 5 (RWD)

Troop – Dragon Mage Unique

Blitz : 3(RWD)

Troops you control have Flight.

When a troop you control deals combat damage, that troop gets +1 / +1 and you gain 1 health.

When you use a charge power, return Acirema from your crypt to your hand.

4 / 4

Caevor, the Insatiable – 6 (BDR)

Troop – Orc King Unique

Fling, Swiftstrike

When a troop dies, if this is in your hand, this gets cost -2 this turn.

When you sacrifice a troop, you may destroy target card.

4 / 3

Roostice, the Battleworn – 3 (DSW)

Troop – Rooster King Unique

Socketable Minor

Guide

D: +1 / +1, Steadfast.

S: +1 / +1, Spellshield.

W: +1 / +1, Crush.

0 / 0

Tohra, the Explorer – 4 (SRB)

Troop – Human Ranger Mage Unique

Spellbound : 2

When you play an action, look at the top card of your deck. If it's a resource, play it.

When you play a resource, you may draw a card and lose 2 health.

1 / 3

Wimdrel, the Whispermuse – 5 (WBS)

Troop – Coyotle Warlock Unique

Socketable Minor

Link : 5

Prophecy - When you play this or another card, the next non-resource card in your deck gets cost -1.

4 / 6

Legendary Single Shard and Artifact

Rolling Moss – 2 (W)

Troop – Plant

When this becomes exhausted, this gets +1 / +1.

While this has 4 or more ATK, this has Spellshield.

While this has 5 or more ATK, this has Crush.

3 / 2

Dark Sorcery – 2 (B)

Constant

When this enters play, add two sorcery counters to this.

At the start of your turn, choose one:

◙ Lose 1 health, add a sorcery counter to this and gain [1/0]. If an opponent lost health last turn, gain [2/0] instead.

◙ Remove 3 sorcery counters from this ⇨ Destroy target troop with cost 3 or less.

◙ Remove 4 sorcery counters from this and sacrifice this ⇨ Target champion sacrifices two cards and discards two cards.

Seer of Secrets – 1 (S)

Troop – Human Mage Unique

When you play an action, add a fate counter to this.

[BASIC] Remove a fate counter from this ⇨ Target action in your hand gets cost -1. You may look at the top card of your deck, then put it on the top or bottom of your deck.

1 / 2

Spirit of Order – 4 (D)

Troop – Spirit Warrior

Swiftstrike, Flight, Lifedrain

This has Defensive unless you have less health than an opponent.

5 / 4

Unfettered Brute – 4 (R)

Troop – Orc Warrior

Swiftstrike

Orc troops you control get +1 ATK.

When this is the target of an action, deal 3 damage to target champion or troop.

4 / 2

Scrap Replicator – 3

Troop – Construct

Defensive

1, Exhaust ⇨ Create a replica of this and put it into play unless an opponent pays 1.

[BASIC] Exhaust, sacrifice this ⇨ Troops you control with Defensive get +1 / +1 and lose Defensive this turn.

1 / 4

Rare Basic Action Cycle

Biomorphic Finale – 6 (WWBBS)

Basic Action

You may put target card into its controller's hand.

You may put target action from your crypt into your hand.

You may put target troop from your crypt into play.

Dramatic Finale – 6 (RRWWD)

Basic Action

Put a troop from your hand into play. It gets Speed and Unblockable and "At end of turn, if this troop has 9 ATK or greater, void it" this turn.

Empiric Finale – 6 (DDSSW)

Basic Action

Gain 4 health, draw 3 cards and gain 2 charges.

Target troop gets +1 / +1 for each card in your hand.

Vindictive Finale – 6 (SSRRB)

Basic Action

Put target card from your crypt into your hand. It gets "You may play this for free."

Destroy target card.

Vitriolic Finale – 6 (BBDDR)

Basic Action

Each opposing champion sacrifices a troop, a constant, and an artifact.

Each opposing champion discards a card, loses 1 charge, loses 1 health, and loses [0/1].

PureVapes
01-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Single Shard Rares

Fate's Flare – 1 (R)

Basic Action

Deal 1 damage to target champion or troop.

If this was the second card you played this turn, return it to your hand.

Orc Commando – 3 (RR)

Troop – Orc Cleric

Orc troops you control have Speed and can't attack alone.

Once per turn: 1 ⇨ Target Orc gets +1 ATK and Swiftstrike this turn.

3 / 3

Orcish Fervor – 2 (R)

Basic Action

Target troop gets +2 ATK and "Orc troops you control get +1 ATK. This can only be blocked by two or more troops."

Arcane Puppeteer – 3 (S)

Troop – Human Mage

1, Exhaust ⇨ Exhaust or ready target card.

At the start of each champion's turn, ready this.

Summoner's Sight – 2 (S)

Basic Action

Look at the top card of your deck, put it on the top or bottom of your deck, then draw a card. If this was the second card you played this turn, repeat the process once.

Trick – 2 (SS)

Quick Action

Interrupt target card unless an opposing champion chooses to have you draw three cards.

Treat – 2 (BB)

Quick Action

Destroy target troop unless its controller chooses to lose 7 health.

Flesh Feeder – 4 (BB)

Troop – Zombie

When another troop you control dies, you gain health equal to its ATK and this gets +1 / +1.

Lesser Evil – 1 (B)

Basic Action

Target troop's controller sacrifices it unless they pay 2 life and discard a card.

Floating Barracks – 3 (D)

Constant

When you play a card, create a Chimera Guard Officer and put it into play.

Forward Sanctifier – 1 (D)

Troop – Human Cleric

When this enter play, you gain 1 health for each troop you control.

[ONE-SHOT] Exhaust ⇨ Target troop in your hand gets "When this enter play, you gain 1 health for each troop you control."

2 / 1

Karmic Angel – 4 (DD)

Troop – Angel

Flight, Lifedrain

When a troop you control is dealt damage, you gain that much health.

2 / 4

Rise to the Challenge – 1 (W)

Quick Action

Target troop gets +X / +X this turn, where X is the highest ATK of any troop an opposing champion controls.

Underbrush Watcher – 3 (WW)

Troop – Elf Cleric

Steadfast

When a troop attacks an opposing champion, you gain 1 life.

3 / 4

Waltz of the Warrior – 5 (WW)

Quick Action

When you play this, create a Warrior of Andronicus and put it into play.

Target troop gets "This gets +2 / +2 for each troop blocking it or blocked by it."

Shards

Scrapyard - [0/1]

Gain S.

If you control an artifact when you play this: gain R.

Pay 2 health when you play this: gain B.

Overgrown Mine – [0/1]

Gain R.

If you control a creature when you play this: gain W.

If you have more life than an opposing champion when you play this: gain D.

Corpse Tree Lake – [0/1]

Gain W.

Pay 2 health when you play this: gain B.

If you have an action in your crypt when you play this: gain S.

Shadowlit Cavern – [0/1]

Gain B.

If you have more life than an opposing champion when you play this: gain D.

If you control an artifact when you play this: gain R.

Seacliff Palace – [0/1]

Gain D.

If you have an action in your crypt when you play this: gain S.

If you control a creature when you play this: gain W.

Imaginatorium – [1/1]

Gain a charge.

Lose a random threshold you have, then choose a threshold and gain it.

Artifacts

Shattering Kaleidoscope – 1

Artifact

[ONE-SHOT] Exhaust ⇨ Gain a random threshold from among those that a Standard resource currently in your deck provides.

[ONE-SHOT] Exhaust ⇨ Gain a random threshold.

2, Sacrifice this ⇨ Draw a card.

Refraction Tube – 1

Artifact

Exhaust ⇨ Gain a threshold of your choice. At the end of your turn, lose that threshold.

Junk Collector – 3

Artifact, Troop – Construct

W: When this enters play, create a S.P.A.M. Bot and put it into play.

D: When you use a charge power, create a S.P.A.M. Bot and put it into play.

S: This and S.P.A.M. Bots you control have Flight.

1 / 1

Scrapheap Chewer – 4

Artifact, Troop - Robot

S: When a troop blocks this, exhaust it. It can't ready during its controller's next ready step.

R: When this deals damage to a champion, deal 1 damage to that champion unless they void a card from their crypt.

B: Rage: 1

3 / 4

PureVapes
01-07-2016, 10:54 AM
SRB - Innovation, Cunning, Hatred
Spellbound : X – When you play an action, this gets +X/+X.

RWD - Savagery, Conquest, Life
Blitz : C – C: Put this from your hand into play. This gets Speed and "At end of turn, sacrifice this" this turn.

WBS - Ancients, Instinct, Cunning
Link : X – When this enters play, target non-troop card in your hand gets cost -X until your next turn.

BDR - Retribution, Hatred, Conquest
Fling – When this enters play, the next troop that enters play under your control gets "When this enters play, you may sacrifice it."

DSW - Purpose, Life, Instinct
Guide – When this leaves play, you may void it. If you do, target troop gets all abilities of this troop other than Guide.

LegRareUncCom

Trickling in uncommons as I format them...

Ancestral Blade - 2

Artifact

W: 1, Exhaust ⇨ Target troop gets Guide and "DS: +2 / +2" as long as this is exhausted.

Banner of Zeal - 5 (RWD)

Constant

At the start of your turn, put a zeal counter on this, then gain 1 life for each zeal counter.

Troops you control get +1 / +1 for each zeal counter on this.

While this has 3 or more zeal counters, troops you control have Swiftstrike.

Black Lightning - 5 (RB)

Basic Action

Deal 4 damage to target champion or troop. Each opposing champion sacrifices a troop.

Bloodletting - 2 (WSB)

Quick Action

Draw a card and lose 1 health for each troop target champion controls.

Master Tracker - 4 DSW

Troop - Human Ranger

Opposing champions that have :wild: can't block this.

Other troops you control get +0 / +1.

3 / 4

Brain Burst - 3 (WBS)

Quick Action

Interrupt target card, then draw a card if you control a W or B troop.

PureVapes
01-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Should probably reserve another post.

Xavon
01-07-2016, 11:45 AM
Is there a reason the second power of "Wimdrel, the Whispermuse" is not tagged Prophecy?

Dark Sorcery sounds more like a Constant in name and Artifacts should not (IMO) have threshold requirements to play.

While I like the concept of your resources, I think the balance is off. Wild, Ruby, and Sapphire all merely require you to have the right kind of card in the right zone, and while Blood and Diamond actually require you to make a payment. And the WRS are all cards that you are likely to have in place, and WR tend to benefit most from extra thresholds. And Ruby/Artifact are the best for gaining charges, so one cannot claim Diamond has charges to spare. Similarly, Blood pays life, and gets it back mainly through Lifedrain, so paying more is a decent hit.

IronPheasant
01-07-2016, 12:44 PM
It's a common mistake to force a keyword for every faction in a set. I personally think it's the wrong thing to do for a number of reasons:

* It has a tendency to make all the cards in the set more similar to one another than they'd otherwise be.
* It burns through good ideas much faster.

MTG tries to keep it to around 4 per set maximum. But just to look at HEX:

Humans: Inspiration. Then a prismatic matters theme.

Dwarves: Nothing. But an artifact matters and works with robots theme. And construction plans.

Shin'Hare: Nadda. But a "create 0/1 troops which would be awesome if you could play 18 copies of Bucktooth commander in your deck but you can't (yet) so they aren't."

Orcs: Zippo. But some aggressive "this likes it when it dies" blood troops. Which isn't unique to them.

Elves: Natch. But a "5 cost matters" theme.

Vennen: Zilnadds. But a "put eggs in opponent's deck" mechanic.

Wolfies: Uh... what's that thing called oh yeah "prophecy". Hey, we've got our second faction keyword.

Necrotic: Shifty. And we've got our third.

So eight factions. 3 of them have unique keywords. But all of them have mechanics (even the Shin'hare's unfortunately underdeveloped "get card advantage from breeding more rabbits" mechanic. Which would have been absolutely fine if they had an additional type or two of spawnlings besides the Hoppers to give it the ability to scale in power. Or even the lazy man's "Put a battle hopper in your hand, it gets +2/+2" short hand. But I've digressed.)

Ok, feedback on your keywords:

"Spellbound : X When you play an action, this gets +X/+X."

A permanent gain? This can't be used at common since that's an amount of power that can grow without an upper bound. Thunderbird is already really pushing what should be used at that rarity. Would make it until end of turn like MTG's prowess.

"Blitz : C C: Put this from your hand into play. This gets Speed and "At end of turn, sacrifice this" this turn.

Uh, don't really like sacrifice on non-blood cards. Primarily because it excludes use with "masochist" style cards that are common to it that like it when you hurt yourself. Maybe return to hand instead? This would make it into MTG's Dash.

"Link : X When this enters play, target non-troop card in your hand gets cost -X this turn."

Eeeh it's not awful, but is it really worthy of being reused on more than a few cards? This harkens back to my "samey" critique - if the keyword isn't something that's going on 10 to 16 cards across all rarities, it probably shouldn't be a keyword.

"Fling When another troop enters play, you may sacrifice that troop."

I would be okay with if this was like a "Blood Offering", where you gain 1 or 2 life for sacrificing a guy. So that the ability does something on its own and would work with life gain effects in B and D. My MTG knowledge isn't robust, but I think this is one that hasn't been done there yet??

"Guide When this leaves play, you may void it. If you do, target troop gets all abilities of this troop other than Guide."

Erm, the strength on this is either too much (Flight in limited) or too little. I also find it slightly weird a D or S dude would haunt his friends after death unless this were a horror based set. Maybe something similarish, except inverted onto something where the troop getting the benefit has the ability. But I think it's a deadish pathway.

Your approach might be coming at this from the perspective of making a couple kewl Legendaries and Rares, and then extrapolating their abilities across the board mechanically. But the whole point of a Kraken or Reese or a Vampire King or a Crocosaur is that they do stuff nothing else in their set can do.

But then again I'm the guy who'd make a set with a faction starring slugs with a mechanic featuring slug sex that'd result in weird freaky slugs. They're just the opinions of a man with way too much free time on his hands in other words.

wolzarg
01-07-2016, 12:44 PM
"RWD - Savagery, Conquest, Life
Blitz : C – C: Put this from your hand into play. This gets Speed and "At end of turn, sacrifice this" this turn. "

This doesn't need the this turn and the entire concept of blitzing completely nullifying counter effects really isn't very good design.

IronPheasant
01-07-2016, 12:55 PM
"Fling When another troop enters play, you may sacrifice that troop."

I would be okay with if this was like a "Blood Offering", where you gain 1 or 2 life for sacrificing a guy.

Bloodthirster
Troop - Orc
2 Resource (B)
Blood Offering (When a troop comes into play under your control, you may sacrifice it and gain 2 life.)
When a troop you control dies, this gets +1 ATK.
0/3

I like this one. Quite a lot.

Broad number of cards can be made stapled with it, featuring death/life gain effects:

"Whenever you would gain life, gain that much life +2 instead."
"At the end of your turn, if you gained 10 or more life this turn, you may return a card from your graveyard into play."
"Whenever one of your d00dz dies, you may pay 4 resource to draw a card."

Multiple instances of it on the field also would increase the life gain effect, while the original plain-jane "you can sacrifice d00ds" one only gives a single death/sac trigger.

Only downside is it's not Ruby at all. The rub of making good tricolor keywords.

Kayas42
01-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Dwarves and Shin'Hare both have "Tunneling: X" as a keyword.

IronPheasant
01-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Yeah, it's not a rigid faction exclusive. It's a broad set mechanic.

And the only new keyword in that set, no? Kind of fits my point that the goal should not be "what kind of cool keywords can I make" but rather "what cool themes and decks should I enable, and how can I do that with the minimum amount of keywords necessary."

PureVapes
01-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Wow that was quick! Nice to see some of the same old names, and thanks for the feedback. I'll try and address some of them and maybe work on editing the first couple of posts, especially if you guys have any further ideas.

Is there a reason the second power of "Wimdrel, the Whispermuse" is not tagged Prophecy?

Dark Sorcery sounds more like a Constant in name and Artifacts should not (IMO) have threshold requirements to play.

While I like the concept of your resources, I think the balance is off. Wild, Ruby, and Sapphire all merely require you to have the right kind of card in the right zone, and while Blood and Diamond actually require you to make a payment. And the WRS are all cards that you are likely to have in place, and WR tend to benefit most from extra thresholds. And Ruby/Artifact are the best for gaining charges, so one cannot claim Diamond has charges to spare. Similarly, Blood pays life, and gets it back mainly through Lifedrain, so paying more is a decent hit.

I could edit it to be a Prophecy, but since it is only a triggered effect and not an enter effect I didn't want to confuse people.

I wanted Dark Sorcery to be a Constant but exhausting a Constant didn't make sense to me. Maybe there is another way to do it so that it works as a Constant?

The balance is probably off on the shards, but these are all untested. My thought process was that requiring a specific card in a zone made the shard unreliable for turn 1 or 2 play, which severely nerfs it. In the opposite way, Imaginatorium is a perfect turn 1 play because you have no threshold to lose. The card in zone requirements are much more constricting than Allegiance or life loss, especially for fast decks. I do agree that the Diamond fix is quite steep, but I'm not sure what other reasonable options exist so I'm open to ideas.

It's a common mistake to force a keyword for every faction in a set...

Ok, feedback on your keywords:

"Spellbound : X – When you play an action, this gets +X/+X."

A permanent gain? This can't be used at common since that's an amount of power that can grow without an upper bound. Thunderbird is already really pushing what should be used at that rarity. Would make it until end of turn like MTG's prowess.

"Blitz : C – C: Put this from your hand into play. This gets Speed and "At end of turn, sacrifice this" this turn.

Uh, don't really like sacrifice on non-blood cards. Primarily because it excludes use with "masochist" style cards that are common to it that like it when you hurt yourself. Maybe return to hand instead? This would make it into MTG's Dash.

"Link : X – When this enters play, target non-troop card in your hand gets cost -X this turn."

Eeeh it's not awful, but is it really worthy of being reused on more than a few cards? This harkens back to my "samey" critique - if the keyword isn't something that's going on 10 to 16 cards across all rarities, it probably shouldn't be a keyword.

"Fling – When another troop enters play, you may sacrifice that troop."

I would be okay with if this was like a "Blood Offering", where you gain 1 or 2 life for sacrificing a guy. So that the ability does something on its own and would work with life gain effects in B and D. My MTG knowledge isn't robust, but I think this is one that hasn't been done there yet??

"Guide – When this leaves play, you may void it. If you do, target troop gets all abilities of this troop other than Guide."

Erm, the strength on this is either too much (Flight in limited) or too little. I also find it slightly weird a D or S dude would haunt his friends after death unless this were a horror based set. Maybe something similarish, except inverted onto something where the troop getting the benefit has the ability. But I think it's a deadish pathway.

These were only keywords because they had the potential to be real keywords, although none are really fleshed out. As you pointed out, Fling is particularly undeveloped and does nothing on its own. However, the idea was to give every troop with Fling another ability that incentivizes sacrificing troops. If every Fling ability had the same bonus for sacrificing troops, I think it would be pretty dull (much as Prophecy, Shift, or Allegiance would be). It's possible that in the end, as few as 1 or 0 of these would actually be keywords.

Double Agent Assassin – 3 (:diamond::blood::ruby:)

Troop - Necrotic Rogue

Fling – When another troop enters play under your control, you may sacrifice it.

When you sacrifice a troop, deal 1 damage to target troop and you gain 1 health.

2 / 3

I designed Spellbound and Blitz before Prowess and Dash existed, so I didn't really have those points of reference for the power levels of the abilities. Unlike T-bird's Rage though, Spellbound doesn't ever have to be on a cheap troop with built-in evasion and it does require you to play actions to actually get any benefit. Also, I intended Blitz troops to come with some way of saving them from death or resurrecting it.

Guide now reminds me of Shift, though I designed it before I knew of Shift. The idea was not really haunting, but more like passing on your skills to future warriors. I don't think it should be an actual keyword now that Shift exists, and Shift is far better executed than Guide. Perhaps Guide could just be a mechanic on a few roosters or something. :)

"RWD - Savagery, Conquest, Life
Blitz : C – C: Put this from your hand into play. This gets Speed and "At end of turn, sacrifice this" this turn. "

This doesn't need the this turn and the entire concept of blitzing completely nullifying counter effects really isn't very good design.

Weakening counter effects seems to be fine if the drawback is strong enough or the card is cheap enough (Quash). Here the drawback is (usually) dying after one attack, although further balancing around the "can't be countered" effect would be necessary. Blitz also forces people to consider other options, such as Blinding Light. As for the sac effect being only 'this turn', it's there so recurring it or otherwise avoiding the trigger once is possible.

Xavon
01-07-2016, 03:32 PM
I could edit it to be a Prophecy, but since it is only a triggered effect and not an enter effect I didn't want to confuse people.

Sagebrush and Brightmoon Totem are both triggered Prophecy effects.

I wanted Dark Sorcery to be a Constant but exhausting a Constant didn't make sense to me. Maybe there is another way to do it so that it works as a Constant?

I personally don't see a problem with exhausting a constant. Otherwise you could just make it once per turn.

The balance is probably off on the shards, but these are all untested. My thought process was that requiring a specific card in a zone made the shard unreliable for turn 1 or 2 play, which severely nerfs it. In the opposite way, Imaginatorium is a perfect turn 1 play because you have no threshold to lose. The card in zone requirements are much more constricting than Allegiance or life loss, especially for fast decks. I do agree that the Diamond fix is quite steep, but I'm not sure what other reasonable options exist so I'm open to ideas.

Turn 1, sure, but there are plenty of 1 drops in each of those categories, so it is not a problem for turn 2. And as for the Allegiance vs card in zone argument, allowing them for any card regardless of shard makes up for the in hand option of Allegiance.

As for balancing it, I would actually make Diamond the life cost, because it is the shard with life to spare. And for Blood, maybe make it "troop in opponent's crypt".

PureVapes
01-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Sagebrush and Brightmoon Totem are both triggered Prophecy effects.

I personally don't see a problem with exhausting a constant. Otherwise you could just make it once per turn.

Turn 1, sure, but there are plenty of 1 drops in each of those categories, so it is not a problem for turn 2. And as for the Allegiance vs card in zone argument, allowing them for any card regardless of shard makes up for the in hand option of Allegiance.

As for balancing it, I would actually make Diamond the life cost, because it is the shard with life to spare. And for Blood, maybe make it "troop in opponent's crypt".

Edited in Prophecy.

Mechanically, exhausting a constant, having Diamond pay life, and having Blood require a dead opposing troop are all sound. They just seem off in flavor and theme. Diamond never pays life, the concept of a Constant doesn't fit with it being exhausted, and relying on your opponent playing an early troop that you can kill removes too much of the player's ability to plan ahead. Perhaps if it was "card in opponent's crypt," but again the balance for those shards would have to be tested. I'll try to remake Dark Sorcery as a Constant though.

Update: Dark Sorcery remade as a Constant!

IronPheasant
01-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Fling When another troop enters play under your control, you may sacrifice it.

Also implementing it as "as _____ comes into play, interact with a modal decision box" would quickly grow tedious since there could be half a dozen of these triggers to wade through every single turn.

A smoother implementation would be an ability word: "Sac Mark - Target card in your hand gains '_Whatever you want it to do when it comes into play_'"

Xavon
01-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Edited in Prophecy.

Mechanically, exhausting a constant, having Diamond pay life, and having Blood require a dead opposing troop are all sound. They just seem off in flavor and theme. Diamond never pays life, the concept of a Constant doesn't fit with it being exhausted, and relying on your opponent playing an early troop that you can kill removes too much of the player's ability to plan ahead. Perhaps if it was "card in opponent's crypt," but again the balance for those shards would have to be tested. I'll try to remake Dark Sorcery as a Constant though.

Update: Dark Sorcery remade as a Constant!

Maybe Diamond could be : "If you have more life than your opponent"

PureVapes
01-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Also implementing it as "as _____ comes into play, interact with a modal decision box" would quickly grow tedious since there could be half a dozen of these triggers to wade through every single turn.

A smoother implementation would be an ability word: "Sac Mark - Target card in your hand gains '_Whatever you want it to do when it comes into play_'"

Maybe Diamond could be : "If you have more life than your opponent"

Great ideas, I'll make some updates. One thing about the ability word though - it wouldn't work with actions that create troops such as battle hoppers, which is where Fling would shine. Perhaps it could just trigger to give the ability to the next troop that enters play under your control.

PureVapes
01-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Modified Fling, improved Link's reduction to be until your next turn, changed the Diamond threshold requirement, and added a few more uncommons to third post. Also clarified that some of those abilities' names would not actually appear on cards.