PDA

View Full Version : Review - A brief summary of what Hex has to offer from a new players perspective.

SnowwyWolf
01-11-2016, 03:42 AM
For future updates, reviews, articles and to help me provide the most accurate information, follow me on twitter @SnowwyWolfHowl. Will be getting feedback from other members of the Hex community once the new PvE content and set 4 is released, stay tuned!

Hello everyone,

This review is being written on the 11th January 2016, naturally a lot is subject to change, hex is constantly updating, changing and adding new content to the game, I am simply a new players to Hex, my experiences may differ to yours and my views do not represent those of Cryptozoics in any way. Please bear that in mind when you are reading this review!

Before anything else there is something I want everyone to know prior to reading the main part of my review and that is about the community of Hex. Out of every single game I have ever played Hex has by far the more friendly, kind, helpful and wonderful community you could ever hope for. Everyone in the chat channels are friendly and helpful to one another, there is always someone online in one of the chat channels who will help you out, answer your questions and point you in to the right direction. On twitch TV there are many different streamers who are extremely helpful, very vocal with the chat and will also help you even if you ask the most simple of questions. I would like to give out two honorable mentions and that is for Alucard2004 and SilentSnake76, I highly recommend following, subscribing and supporting them.

I thought I would write up a review about my experience as a new player in Hex, whether this can be used to help improve the game for future newer players or allow those who have not yet explored Hex to get a solid enough understanding to see if they wish to play.

I have only been playing Hex for a few days now, I do have a previous TCG and CCG background, I'm sure everyone here knows hearthstone, I achieved top 200 legend there but wanted something more skill based. Registering, downloading and installing Hex is a very quick and painless process, it is very easy to get started.

Once you first login to the game you are asked to pick between 1 of several races and a brief explanation of what each one is about. I went with Vennen as I loved the idea of swamping the other players deck with eggs, then when they draw in to them the effect happens. The tutorial you go through which helps you unlock a few extra cards (along with all the starter vennen cards you are given) I thought was great and eased you in to the game.

It was at this point I then learned about the frost ring arena and what it has to offer, essentially the frost ring arena allows you to beat up to 20 AI and the more you defeat, the better rewards you get. Although if you get 3 losses then you only get the rewards for what you have earned up to that point. The rewards range from PvE cards, equipment and also gold, the most important thing to note is that the frost ring arena does not cost anything to play and is repeatable.

The way the in-game currency system works I really love, there is gold which you can obtain by doing clears in the frost ring arena or selling cards you get from packs. Gold can be used to purchase cards, equipment and even packs from the auction house which is great. The method I use is doing runs through the frost ring arena, then using the gold to buy all commons that cost 100g buyout or less, this way I can build up my entire collection, experiment with different cards, you get the idea. The other currency is called platinum, this is bought using real money, selling cards / equipment you get from the frost ring arena or even trading your gold for someone elses platinum, the rates you will usually get is 12000 - 13000 of your gold per 100 platinum.

Currently in Hex there is 3 different 'sets' of cards, think of them as expansions or addons. Each set consists of a whole new range of cards to be used and added in to your past decks (I cannot speak for tournament play though as they all have their own rulesets for which sets / cards they allow). Any of the 3 sets will cost you 200 platinum to buy from the shop, each pack you buy has 2% chance to get you something called a primal pack, this contains 2 legendaries and 13 rares, as oppose to a regular pack containing 12 commons, 4 uncommons, 1 rare or legendary and 1 treasure chest. You can also buy packs from the auction house or other players, they will usually charge you between 120 - 140 platinum per pack but if you buy them from players / AH, then you do not get the 2% chance for the primal pack, there is maths on the most cost effective way to spend your platinum / gold, there is plenty of information on the forums about this.

The auction house is a place you can buy or sell cards, equipment, treasure chests, stardust, packs, pretty much anything the game has to offer. The auction house only contains what has been put in by other players, meaning the economy is player run (which I think is a really good thing). My current method with the auction house is a very simple one, do a run in the frost ring arena > sell any equipment / cards / stardust I get for platinum > repeat. It's a very simple and effective way to build up your platinum + gold to then be able to buy the things you want to have. It may sound like a big grind but it is actually not that bad in all fairness, you can also mix it up by entering in any of the different tournaments there is on offer. The auction house does take a 5% fee on anything you make but it is such a tiny amount it is barely noticeable.

There is alongside the auction house the ability to mail other players in-game, this opens up a whole different way of trading / bartering, with this of course you do not have to pay any fees at all. The game has a built in trade channel whereby you can see what others are buying, selling or trading and let everyone else know what you are after.The mailing system is simple and you do not have to wait before you get your mail it is done instantly. If I wish to purchase a card for instance, someone will send me mail with the card attached and a CoD (cost on delivery), that you must pay to receive it. Of course you can use the mailing system to sell cards, equipment, trade currencies, you get the picture.

In hex you also have tournaments which are constantly run, then once one has filled up another will take its place so you can always sign up for a tournament, admittedly due to the current player pool at certain times they fill up extremely slowly but from morning to night time, you will not have issues. There are many different types, if you wish to know more about tournaments then there is already an excellent thread which covers this in detail on the Hex forums. There is currently a known issue with tournaments for a number of players (I do not know how large or small a number) whereby after picking one of their cards in draft pick, the rest turn invisible and then you are unable to select any more. Essentially making you waste the 100 platinum entry fee, you do get to keep the cards that are picked from the draft though but it is done automatically for you. The support are extremely helpful on this matter, I sent in a support ticket on the weekend and got an hour 24 hours later (a reasonable amount of time considering the ticket was submitted on sunday morning). I was reimbursed the entry fee + the 3 packs and also got to keep the cards from the previous 3 packs which was nice of them.

The user interface in game has a nice layout, looks simple and is easy to navigate, I can say comfortably that you will not have any issues in that regard. One thing you will notice however is nice features you would like to see that are not there, one example is that on the AH you can set a maximum bid to search for but not a maximum buyout. When you press enter to search in the AH the chat box will open in the bottom right, it does not affect what you are doing but it is annoying. This is not to much of a concern though because they are only small things and are not present when you are actually playing.

There are many other things in the game which I have not yet explained and will not go in to such as treasure chests, stardust (which are currently active in game) and the future changes that are to come such campaign mode, guilds, more PvE content etc. All I can say at this point is if you are on the fence or unsure, just sign up, install the game, give hex a go and see if it is for you. Just make sure to do some quick research on frost ring arena decks (this way you can do consistent clears for more gold + cards + equipment).

Thank you for reading this review, I have not covered quite a few things that are already in the game due to not wanting to bore your brains to much and I'm sure there are parts you'd like to be surprised by and explore yourself!

Best wishes to all those who decide to sign up and play.

- SnowwyWolf

Sixlooter
01-11-2016, 04:28 AM
Nice post, but might be even better placed in an outside forum, to get peoples attentions.

And you could add a bit expectations management. I am a King Tier backer of the first hour, but I am really frustrated with the time the real PVE content takes. It is the classical overcommitment thing, wanting to much from the scratch instead of doing smaller steps/releases and realizing quick wins.

Funny thing is I backed Hex partilly also to kill time until Star Citizen and throught I would play Hex PVE during 2013 and 2014 and then more SC starting 2015. Due to the fact that Chris Roberts will take muuuuch longer it might still be Hex that will kill my free time, although I loose confidence every passing day....

ossuary
01-11-2016, 04:35 AM
Hello and welcome. :)

First of all, thank you for the excellent write-up. The community is always pleased to see new players and get their perspective on things - it really helps the developers to know what is working well and where the pain points may be that could use extra attention. And of course, I'm sure they appreciate hearing about new players coming in and having a great time. ;)

Your attitude on the F2P cycle is a good one to have - for those players who can't or don't want to spend real money on the game for whatever reason, they should definitely expect to invest their time instead. Unlike a lot of F2P games out there, though, Hex is actually a functional game without putting in money, and given enough time to build up platinum through alternate means, a player can do just about everything the game has to offer (with the exception of VIP tournaments, a special tournament available only to subscribing players - but you can still buy the rewards from those tournaments off the auction house). And with a larger PVE campaign coming very soon, there will be even more ways for F2P players to earn gold and have fun playing the game than just the frost ring arena.

I just want to briefly speak on a couple of items you mentioned towards the end of your post. As a volunteer that works with bugs and testing, I have a little more exposure with this. While it is true that there is currently a bug that causes some players to not be able to see the cards on the draft tournament screen, this bug affects a very tiny number of players (roughly a few dozen out of tens of thousands of active players). I do not believe the exact cause has been nailed down yet, but it continues to be worked on and is one of the top priorities for the bug testers / QA since it affects players' tournament experience negatively on the rare occasions when it does crop up. However, as you said yourself, Cryptozoic / Hex Entertainment (CZE) have an extremely generous compensation policy. If you experience a bug that prevents you from playing your tournament properly, simply open a ticket at support.hextcg.com and you will be refunded your entry fee, while being allowed to keep whatever you did open in the tournament. This is important to know, because the compensation policy means there is zero risk to the player.

As far as the chat popping up in the AH - yes, this is a very annoying bug! ;) I use the auction house all the time, and it's irritating to see the chat window pop up and have to move it out of the way. There are a few minor bugs floating around, some new, some old. There is a bug report forum here on the boards where players can report things that they find, and they are tracked and worked on by CZE. There is a bit of a backlog of these minor bugs right now, as we are awaiting a very large content patch in the near future (PVE!!!!!) - it is expected for this content patch to also include a number of the outstanding bug fixes, and once that patch is out, CZE will also likely go back to releasing more regular bugfix patches as well.

Thanks again for your comments, and I hope you continue to enjoy the game! :)

Mejis
01-11-2016, 04:43 AM
Thanks for posting your thoughts. Very nicely written and informative. This should be something that all new players should be directed towards as you cover everything really well, especially the "free" aspects. I think some new players may not fully grasp the time=content value that can be so effective in hex given there is a player-run AH.

Anyway, welcome :)
And youve certainly picked a good time to join, with the first giant slice of PvE campaign to hit shortly. (If you haven't seen details, check out the latest articles on hextcg.com).

SnowwyWolf
01-11-2016, 05:10 AM
Sixlooter, This review has also been posted in the relevant part of reddit. The reason I have not written about expectations etc is because this review is written from my own experiences and perspective. I have been playing for less then a week so naturally I cannot comment upon that.

Not a problem at all, I only recently found out about Hex properly else I would have played it much sooner. The thing I appreciate most out of Hex's free to play model as oppose to other games is that in Hex, you can play at a competitive level without investing money and I feel that this is key. By this I mean if you are a skilled player, you can simply use the free to play mechanic, to obtain the requirements to enter a draft / competitive draft tournament and then from there you can pretty much snowball if you are skilled enough. The ability to sell equipment, cards and earn gold from the arena of frost (repeatable and the rewards are generous) is excellent. Most other games may have a free to play model but typically theres lacks because you either do not have the cards you need to play at a competitive level or you are extremely limited on what you can actually earn for free.

Indeed I did feel that the tournament draft bug did only affect a very small amount of players since the thread on the forums does not have very many posts in it at all. Not sure if it is worth me feeding this back to you but apprently if you close the game and re-open it, then the draft will continue as normal (but naturally a few picks can be missed). The generous compensation policy is great and encourages me to continue playing Hex because I know it is an issue that will be resolved and I did not lose anything from it.

I did read quite a few posts from a while back, before there was even the frost ring arena so it does look like I joined at the perfect time, I am able to utilize the current PvE aspects to build up my cards, equipments and currencies ready for the next big content release, cannot wait for that! The little interface bugs / annoyances do not really bother me that much anyway, I know they will be fixed and to me they do not reflect or impact upon the actual gameplay of Hex.

Thank you very much for the replies and kind words, I'm glad you thought it was nicely written and informative. My main goal with my review was to cover what the game has to offer from a new players perspective. I just feel it would be unreasonable to expect you to join a game which can be played with free to play only and farm everything in a day, I enjoy the fact it takes time to build up your collection.

As I say, feel free to use, distribute and share this review as much as anyone wishes to, as long as it remains unedited (of course feel free to make it more easily to read and what not).

Cheers

knightofeffect
01-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Excellent post! I have long felt that Hex offers a F2P experience above and beyond typical F2P games without really being F2P.

The point you made about being able to cleanly ramp from the intro into Frost Ring into AH into draft is exactly the way it should be done by experienced TCG players and something that I don't think gets pointed out enough, so thank you.

Hopefully PvE will be the key to get the non-TCG, Hearthstoney players on board and launch Hex towards the forefront of the genre.

Thanks again for the great review!

Yoss
01-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Excellent review, thanks! :)

With some good editing, this could be presented on a 3rd party news site and be better than half the articles out there.

nicosharp
01-11-2016, 11:21 AM
Nice, but my hope is that 40% of this post will not be relevant after the release of PvE. That is optimism though.

Stormlight
01-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Any of the 3 sets will cost you 200 platinum to buy from the shop, each pack you buy has 2% chance to get you something called a primal pack, this contains 2 legendaries and 13 rares, as oppose to a regular pack containing 12 commons, 4 uncommons, 1 rare or legendary and 1 treasure chest.

As a new player, I'm not sure if you're aware of this or if you just left it out accidentally, but primal packs also have a treasure chest. The chest from a primal pack is automatically a legendary chest, while the rarity of the chest from a regular pack can be common, uncommon, rare or legendary.

Xexist
01-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Sixlooter, This review has also been posted in the relevant part of reddit. The reason I have not written about expectations etc is because this review is written from my own experiences and perspective. I have been playing for less then a week so naturally I cannot comment upon that.

Not a problem at all, I only recently found out about Hex properly else I would have played it much sooner. The thing I appreciate most out of Hex's free to play model as oppose to other games is that in Hex, you can play at a competitive level without investing money and I feel that this is key. By this I mean if you are a skilled player, you can simply use the free to play mechanic, to obtain the requirements to enter a draft / competitive draft tournament and then from there you can pretty much snowball if you are skilled enough. The ability to sell equipment, cards and earn gold from the arena of frost (repeatable and the rewards are generous) is excellent. Most other games may have a free to play model but typically theres lacks because you either do not have the cards you need to play at a competitive level or you are extremely limited on what you can actually earn for free.

Indeed I did feel that the tournament draft bug did only affect a very small amount of players since the thread on the forums does not have very many posts in it at all. Not sure if it is worth me feeding this back to you but apprently if you close the game and re-open it, then the draft will continue as normal (but naturally a few picks can be missed). The generous compensation policy is great and encourages me to continue playing Hex because I know it is an issue that will be resolved and I did not lose anything from it.

I did read quite a few posts from a while back, before there was even the frost ring arena so it does look like I joined at the perfect time, I am able to utilize the current PvE aspects to build up my cards, equipments and currencies ready for the next big content release, cannot wait for that! The little interface bugs / annoyances do not really bother me that much anyway, I know they will be fixed and to me they do not reflect or impact upon the actual gameplay of Hex.

Thank you very much for the replies and kind words, I'm glad you thought it was nicely written and informative. My main goal with my review was to cover what the game has to offer from a new players perspective. I just feel it would be unreasonable to expect you to join a game which can be played with free to play only and farm everything in a day, I enjoy the fact it takes time to build up your collection.

As I say, feel free to use, distribute and share this review as much as anyone wishes to, as long as it remains unedited (of course feel free to make it more easily to read and what not).

Cheers

I love new people with great attitudes like you. It just makes the community better and better. Welcome to HEX and I hope you stay a long time!

sukebe
01-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Great review, thanks for letting us know about it :-) also, I just wanted to let you know you can sort the AH by lowest buyout by clicking on the "minimum bid" button 4 times. it is not very easy to figure out unless you already know about it but it is still there. I hope you stick around for a good long while as this great game needs more active players.

SnowwyWolf
01-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Thank you everyone for the feedback on my review, it was just my general thoughts on the game after playing it for less then a week as a new player to Hex, anyone can feel free to edit the review and share it with any other websites you see fit. I intend to stay for a very long time and hopefully become a more involved member of the community in one form or another. There are bits I did miss out in my review such as treasure chests, stardust and more, this was intentional was I did not want the review to go on too long and I wanted to still leave some things to be discovered.

Looking forward to being an active member within the community and helping others the same way I have been helped when I first started, let us all continue to do our best to help Hex be the forefront of the genre, with the best gaming community out there!

- SnowwyWolf

Dinotropia
01-12-2016, 12:43 AM
Looking forward to being an active member within the community and helping others the same way I have been helped when I first started, let us all continue to do our best to help Hex be the forefront of the genre, with the best gaming community out there!

Fantastic attitude and a nice write-up. We are pleased to have you, sir! May your packs be good and your draws even better. Welcome to HEX!

szimek
01-12-2016, 04:37 AM
Good to see you enjoy HEX :) Welcome to the community and i hope we will meet in a tournament again :P

SnowwyWolf
01-12-2016, 05:42 AM
As for my packs being good I bought a single set 1 pack from the store and got a primal pack with it which was really sweet! I thought about selling it but in the end I opened it up, I did lose around 300-400 plat in terms of value but I am fine with this.

Thank you, I do remember facing you in a draft tournament, hopefully we do meet again ;D, I have played in 2 tournaments and managed to win 2 packs in one of them which I was really happy about. Looking to improve and get further next time :).

SnowwyWolf
01-14-2016, 02:58 PM
For future updates, reviews, articles and to help me provide the most accurate information, follow me on twitter @SnowwyWolfHowl. Will be getting feedback from other members of the Hex community once the new PvE content and set 4 is released, stay tuned!

Hoping to continue my reviews by turning them in to Articles which can hopefully be published on various websites to help generate exposure for Hex, if you do have any suggestions on what you'd like to see covered, just let me know.

Zophie
01-14-2016, 03:05 PM
For future updates, reviews, articles and to help me provide the most accurate information, follow me on twitter @SnowwyWolfHowl (https://twitter.com/SnowwyWolfHowl).

First! :D

Also good write up, it's always great to hear from new players in our community, welcome aboard!

SnowwyWolf
01-15-2016, 09:29 AM
First! :D

Also good write up, it's always great to hear from new players in our community, welcome aboard!

Yey I have my first follower, thank you for being my first :P.

Thanks, One streamer said the thing he liked most about my review is that it wasn't one whining about stuff nor did it come across as a Hex fanboy, the fact that it was just an honest review. I do plan to do more once the new PvE content and set 4 is out, cannot wait!