PDA

View Full Version : In Real Life Hex Sleeves

YourOpponent
01-11-2016, 01:11 PM
I know months ago someone suggested that there be real life Hex Sleeves that can be bought and that Chark said he'd check into it. Does anybody know if anything happened about it? I still need sleeves for about 1,000 cards and was hoping that they are indeed a thing now (or at least in the works of happening.) I'm assuming too of course that if they do happen we'll have some sort of in game sleeve to go with them?

Saeijou
01-11-2016, 01:21 PM
the old "spectral lotus" sleeves!!! :)

plaguedealer
01-11-2016, 01:30 PM
the old "spectral lotus" sleeves!!! :)

AA mirror knight would be cool. I just play digital games now though, dont think I would ever use them.

Chark
01-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Last time we talked about this is here:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=42602

There's no way we're meeting the minimum order for custom sleeves, so it's a non-starter for us for now.

Stuie
01-11-2016, 03:12 PM

There's no way we're meeting the minimum order for custom sleeves, so it's a non-starter for us for now.

I saw several hundred packs worth of interest just in that thread, and the kickstarter idea was floated. Seems like something that might be feasible, but would require someone to a) work out the details and b) shepherd it through a kickstarter. I know that's no small effort, but doesn't seem insurmountable to me.

plaguedealer
01-11-2016, 03:21 PM
I think they should be focused on other things right now then physical sleeves for a tcg that is not even hex.

Mokog
01-11-2016, 03:30 PM
http://www.inkedgaming.com/products/custom-sleeves hmm services for custom work. I wonder if they do mass deals. And I suddenly want to make tapestry versions of the hex posters.

Saeijou
01-11-2016, 03:43 PM

well... what is the minimum? ;)

fido_one
01-11-2016, 03:59 PM

Thanks Chark! Really appreciate you coming in and saying this, it'll keep us from devolving into "when or will they and should they" tangents.

Not that I play physical card games IRL anymore, but I'm assuming, as long as it isn't for sale and for personal use only that people could make their own (w/ proper reference that the artwork is copyright of CZE, etc. etc.)? If so, this looks like something that could hold people over: http://www.inkedgaming.com/products/custom-sleeves

Darimir
01-11-2016, 04:18 PM
well... what is the minimum? ;)

Sleeve runs start at 2160 packs of 50 sleeves.

wolzarg
01-11-2016, 11:03 PM
Why do companies do 50 sleeve packs its so dumb no fricking game i have ever heard of uses 50 card decks!

Zophie
01-11-2016, 11:11 PM
Why do companies do 50 sleeve packs its so dumb no fricking game i have ever heard of uses 50 card decks!

So you have to buy two. Jokes on them, I just make 100 card decks :p

wolzarg
01-12-2016, 01:45 AM
So you have to buy two. Jokes on them, I just make 100 card decks :p
This was my thought but it seemed so obviously scummy i figured there had to be another reason.

QuartZ
01-12-2016, 02:35 AM
Sleeves are used for boardgames as well :P

Cainhu
01-12-2016, 03:05 AM

Warhammer : Invasion uses 50 card decks.

But as QuartZ commented, sleeves are for boardgames too. I guess I have thousands already on my cards.

YourOpponent
01-12-2016, 06:22 AM

There are some games that aren't tcg's that use less than 50 card decks...for example deckbuilding card games often run less than 50 before the game is over...usually when I'm playing one I'm surprised if a deck of 12 cards (when starting out) hits 40 cards by the end of the game.

fido_one
01-12-2016, 07:18 AM

Dimes to donuts it's because of the manufacturing process - they probably get the plastic sheathing that fits printers that divide into approximately 50 card size prints after bleed. I know nothing about print shops, but I've had to manage small ones, and there are only so many machines out there that allow for variability in the printing process on a specific run without wasting a certain amount of material.

If the material or printing process isn't the issue, it can be the workflow; if you print all sorts of things (and of course they do, they are a print shop, not a shop that only prints card sleeves), programs, tracking, employees, finishing machines, billing workflows all probably work in factors of x. Most companies like those factors to be 25/50/100 on large scales.

I remember one place I consulted for had minimum orders of 1k for manufactured metal pieces for various appliances. The machines could do as little as 100 without loss of cost, and companies were willing to pay a bit extra for the stamping templates. All good, except when you got to company workflow. The accounting software was hand made, so anything less than 1k had to be flagged, the extra metal on the project would need to be sent back to recycling many times as there was more waste, etc. etc.

Generally (though not always I'm afraid), the last thing a company wants to do is give you something where you don't feel satisfied - otherwise you'll simply go to the company that makes them in sheets of 60 and they get no business. So most times there is a reason.

Clawdius
01-12-2016, 07:36 AM
I think they should be focused on other things right now then physical sleeves for a tcg that is not even hex. What CZE does for other projects when Hex Entertainment LLC isn't subcontracting them is their business. They've got starving artists to feed, I believe Hex can't yet afford to keep CZE afloat by itself.

Turtlewing
01-12-2016, 01:03 PM

The standard probably dates back to collectible sports/fandom cards, where you were sleeving your entire collection, not an arbitrary subset to be used in play. 50 is large enough to be bought in small numbers to cover a typical collection, and small enough to not feel ripped off if you only had a small collection.

Now, doing it in different sized lots would me using a different process form the established ones and that'd make the sleeves more expensive.

Plus there's no one number that would please everyone. 60 doesn't cover a tier 1 MTG deck with sideboard, 75 is almost twice what you need for a YuGiOh main deck (minimum 40 cards) or an MTG limited deck, 100 would juts cost as much as 2 50's but would be too many for pretty much everyone, etc.